PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Mirror’s Edge Exclusive (and free) Time Trial Map Available Tomorrow

Tom Farrer's Avatar + Posted by Tom Farrer on Jan 28, 2009 // Producer

Hi there, I’m Tom Farrer the Producer on Mirror’s Edge and with the release of the free and exclusive PLAYSTATION 3 Time Trial map on the 29th looming ever closer, I thought I would share some of the thinking behind it.

When we started Mirror’s Edge we were working with abstract environments, quick test levels that we threw together so we could mess around with the moves. Then came the game and the more realistic urban settings which were a lot of fun to work with but there was always a little voice in the back of our minds saying, “Remember when you could build any bizarre shape you wanted?”

We have been making a variety of maps for the upcoming release of the Pure Time Trial Map Pack. We didn’t want to be limited by an urban setting; we wanted to “leave the city behind” and focus completely on the nature of movement itself. The maps are all about exploring the purity of the core gameplay with nothing getting in the way.

Each map is quite different in style and had different inspirations. The look of the Sony-exclusive map “Synethesia” (that will be released separately and for free tomorrow, January 29th) was actually inspired by balloons of all things. However, we did decide to settle on an overriding theme — If Faith was having a dream, what would she be dreaming about?

As it turns out, she apparently dreams about enormous abstract sculptures floating above an endless sea!

The full Pure Time Trial Map Pack will follow in February, but enjoy this free, PS3-exclusive map tomorrow!

83 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ Skater_Ricky on January 28th, 2009 at 12:07 pm said:

I haven’t got this game yet but I’m sure i will pick it up sometime soon when I’m done with Killzone 2 and Skate 2

These Levels Look really awesome.. i enjoyed the demo.. couldn’t be happier for this game :D

+ DryvBy on January 28th, 2009 at 12:07 pm said:

Free content is awesome, but the game price needs to come down a bit. The economy is not so hot so games I buy are going to have to last me a really, really long time.

+ nuck44 on January 28th, 2009 at 12:09 pm said:

Free is good…

+ LN_MEXWARRIOR on January 28th, 2009 at 12:09 pm said:

FREE = AWESOME!

Thanks guys!

Can we get the third person view?

+ Stoffinator on January 28th, 2009 at 12:11 pm said:

Free stuff is always the best. Looking forward to it.

+ NEJI64 on January 28th, 2009 at 12:12 pm said:

@Dryvby Don’t by something if you cant support your habit. so kill the price cut crap…

+ MK24ever on January 28th, 2009 at 12:13 pm said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Just sold my copy some days ago… sigh…

But let me tell you it was a game I enjoyed every minute!

I hope there will be second Mirror’s Edge soon.

+ st1an on January 28th, 2009 at 12:14 pm said:

So does this apply to europe too?
Tierd of waiting for stuff over here….

echochrome trophy patch very much?

+ Ftwrthtx on January 28th, 2009 at 12:15 pm said:

FREE!?
That’s awesome!

Thanks Guys!

+ bleachrulez on January 28th, 2009 at 12:17 pm said:

yay thank you WOOT WOOT

+ NightHawk17 on January 28th, 2009 at 12:17 pm said:

Welcome to the blog, and might I say that mirror’s Edge was a joy to play and i look forward to those maps tommorow

+ Enigma777 on January 28th, 2009 at 12:18 pm said:

Wow, its FREE? Nice!

I love free stuff… I even dl the free stuff for games i dont own at the moment but plan to get in the future (just in case they aren’t free anymore)

+ DonnyG on January 28th, 2009 at 12:18 pm said:

Thanks for the freebie! I’d like to add that Mirrors Edge was awesome, and it certainly was one of the best games of 08. Great work!

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on January 28th, 2009 at 12:18 pm said:

Great, thank you for the free exclusive content :D

+ skynidas on January 28th, 2009 at 12:18 pm said:

Wow, i didnt know that it was free, this is awesome guys! Thank you so much

+ skynidas on January 28th, 2009 at 12:20 pm said:

oh ok i understand, this one is free and the full time trial thing is $10, cool!

+ MUSTANG750R on January 28th, 2009 at 12:28 pm said:

I am so getting this! Thank You DICE

+ Lex_Yayo_407 on January 28th, 2009 at 12:38 pm said:

That’s what’s up! Free content!! I will downloading this.

+ CaruthK on January 28th, 2009 at 12:40 pm said:

I must say the game looks grate. My question is. Why was this album not on the Playstation Store? lisa miskovsky I found it on iTunes. Just got the album to just off of seeing this short clip. More TV ads like this I will say.

+ StalkingSilence on January 28th, 2009 at 12:43 pm said:

Shweet… I’ll add it to our list at PSLS!

+ TakiFuGu on January 28th, 2009 at 12:43 pm said:

Free is always nice

+ DropD on January 28th, 2009 at 12:46 pm said:

thanks, any chance of adding 3rd person view?

+ APaz on January 28th, 2009 at 12:51 pm said:

I’m downloading this for sure!

+ CaruthK on January 28th, 2009 at 12:53 pm said:

It’s DICE who owns the IP of this game not EA. Why don’t people know this. EA publish the game & does QA testing that is all.

+ CaruthK on January 28th, 2009 at 12:56 pm said:

P.S.
EA can suck all you want but if it’s not for them you would not have games like Burnout, Mirror’s Edge, Black from Criterion Games.

+ Ti_dus on January 28th, 2009 at 1:01 pm said:

I love Mirror’s Edge! I’ve done almost all speed runs (except chapter 9) and now I’m going for time trials :D I’ll sure be getting all ME’s DLC :) Best game of 2008 for me :) Please DON’T make ME2 easier. Many developers do like that to sell more copies :/ ME is adorably hard ;)

+ Shakh on January 28th, 2009 at 1:05 pm said:

A harshly rated gem. I loved ME, despite its problems. Great DLC

+ Sancor on January 28th, 2009 at 1:06 pm said:

Dear Producer, I got a question!
In the demo there were a great amount of jaggies, my question is, is the full game “free of jaggies” or got less than the demo, or is the same build?
Thanks for your time, and it is good to see that you are releasing this type of stuff.
I really like the mirror’s edge concept, but the graphics kind of stop me from buying me.

+ Darkos87 on January 28th, 2009 at 1:11 pm said:

I’m getting this game as soon as I get myself some money… :(

+ lakaiHIGH on January 28th, 2009 at 1:14 pm said:

i loved the game guys i just wish there was more to it and it sounds like you have answered my prayers! thanks you sooo much for the content. ill put it to good use.

peace,
Lh

+ acerazer1 on January 28th, 2009 at 1:21 pm said:

Free is always good, I’ll be sure to get this map tomorrow.

+ Trieloth on January 28th, 2009 at 1:22 pm said:

The game is cool, so is Free and Exclusive goodies :)

+ hoklee on January 28th, 2009 at 1:24 pm said:

nice nice :D I should get mirror edge now

+ Alakratt on January 28th, 2009 at 1:25 pm said:

Is this the best Sony can secure? A single level in an entire DLC pack? While Fallout 3 gets 3 DLC packs, GTA4 gets 2, and Tomb Raider gets 2 levels for the 360. Oh yeah, and from what I’ve read today, Dead Rising 2, which is coming to the PS3 too, is getting exclusive 360 stuff.

Really, I’m a PS3 fan (not fanboy) but Sony needs to open their eyes (and their wallets) because apparently you’re completely ignoring the third party games (and content) that we want!

+ x3AM on January 28th, 2009 at 1:27 pm said:

Did you guys fix the horrible everything in this game? I might check it out if you did.

MIGHT.

I MIGHT.

CHECK IT OUT.

IF YOU.

DID.

+ toxic-inferno on January 28th, 2009 at 1:34 pm said:

Wow, will be cracking out Mirror’s Edge tomorrow!

I assume this is coming to EU tomorrow as well? Please say it is! Please! Please!!!

I love the remix of this song, does anyone know where it can be downloaded? Is it on iTunes?

Finally, is there any ideas to put new game-modes into Mirror’s Edge, such as a free-roam aspect?

+ Geist01 on January 28th, 2009 at 1:37 pm said:

I keep meaning to pick up Mirrors Edge (I LOVED the demo) and now I have more incentive to do so.

Thanks guys!

+ Thrasher20 on January 28th, 2009 at 1:59 pm said:

Why FREE???

I rather pay for it :(

+ jipmg on January 28th, 2009 at 2:12 pm said:

Im starting to look into buying this game..

+ DryvBy on January 28th, 2009 at 2:12 pm said:

@6
The game doesn’t last that long, so why not address my only complaint about the game? My ‘habit’ is playing games I find to be reasonable priced, that’s why I bought Fallout 3 on day one, and have waited to buy games like this and Army of Two.

+ saxplaya07 on January 28th, 2009 at 2:14 pm said:

lol @2 yea, everyone is feeling the economy as of right now lol,

+ Zookey on January 28th, 2009 at 2:19 pm said:

Yay for freebies!

+ peevmyster on January 28th, 2009 at 2:20 pm said:

I hate this trend of CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE DLC… I don’t mind console exclusive games because your not forced to buy one version over another for sake of DLC (or both versions). This doesn’t make us any better than M$

+ hife on January 28th, 2009 at 2:23 pm said:

Great, I’ve been looking forward to this.

+ PlasmaGlory on January 28th, 2009 at 2:23 pm said:

And to think I was going to sell this game!

+ gold5225 on January 28th, 2009 at 2:27 pm said:

Thanks guys for being such great supporters of your product it only makes people want to buy it more if they know that you support it so much.

@43

Who says Sony Purchased this as an exclusive? We could have gotten because EA and DICE saw that the PS3 version sold better than the360 version.

+ WEALLLOVELUNA on January 28th, 2009 at 2:48 pm said:

definately a must, i personally loved the game, and thought it was maybe too easy, or too short, anyway, the dlc is great, and a freebie just for us ps3 peoples, even better

+ trastan-san on January 28th, 2009 at 2:49 pm said:

Thanks for the free DLC.

I’m a huge Mirror’s Edge fan, and I enjoyed it a great deal on the 360, but, having recently changed/upgraded to a PS3, I just can’t bring myself to purchase it again on the system. Judging from the demo, there’s a huge lack of anti-aliasing in the game, and the resolution seems pretty low to begin with. What gives? Is anti-aliasing really that difficult to incorporate on the PS3?

Additional downloadable content, while great, isn’t worth much if your next-gen game looks like it’s running in standard definition. Fix that, and I might pick it up (and yes, I’d buy it new to support you proper).

To all developers: Playstation 3 owners care about anti-aliasing too!

+ Ti_dus on January 28th, 2009 at 2:52 pm said:

Ye this game lacks AA :( But freamrate is great at least.

+ The_Apprentice on January 28th, 2009 at 3:00 pm said:

Mirror’s Edge is one of the gems of last year that was shunned.
I still love the game to heart and from me and I know many others, want to congratulate the devs on a great job.

Yes there can be improvement in some areas, but as the game stands, one of the most unique and fun games I’ve played.

And thanks for the free DLC….the taste of it might make me get the full pack in February!

PAGE 1 2