PS4 - Destiny

Bejeweled 2 Coming to PSN

Greg Canessa's Avatar + Posted by Greg Canessa on Jan 29, 2009 // Vice President of Video Game Platforms, PopCap Games

Bejeweled 2 screenshot 6

Hey everyone, I’ve got some exciting news out there for all you PlayStation Network downloadable gaming fans! I am happy to announce that Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE) and PopCap have teamed up to bring our hit casual game titles to PSN and PLAYSTATION 3 for the first time ever! This collaboration has been a long time coming, so we’re happy to finally be able to talk about it with you guys.

Our first title is none other than the classic online puzzle game Bejeweled 2. Many of you may be familiar with the franchise – it has won dozens of awards and has sold more than 20 million copies worldwide. It’s our biggest franchise at PopCap and our most successful title, which is why we chose Bejeweled 2 as our first title for PSN and PS3. The game is a natural fit for the platform – it plays great, looks great and is as compelling as ever. And there is a ton of gameplay in Bejeweled 2 – four different game modes, more than 60 puzzles, power-ups, high-definition graphics and much more. And if you’re like me, you’ll sit there for hours playing late into the night, wondering why you’re unable to pull yourself away!

The team at SOE has been fantastic to work with, and they share our vision of making the best versions of our games possible, with features that are specific to the PS3 platform. For Bejeweled 2, that means exclusive stuff like Trophy support and PSP remote play, which you’ll only find on PSN. We’ve got similar exclusive features (and some surprises) planned for future games and franchises that we plan to produce as part of this alliance.

And this is just the beginning. Teams at PopCap and SOE are hard at work developing several more titles for PSN, to be announced soon. We are so psyched to finally be on PS3 and can’t wait to see you online.

Greg Canessa

Bejeweled 2 screenshot 5 Bejeweled 2 screenshot 8

+ kdiep on January 29th, 2009 at 12:11 pm said:

Does it include custom soundtrack? I used to play this game all day with my friends on MSN messenger (or Live messenger now I guess). Was awesome. I might just buy this one but 10$ is a lot for something that is free on the web/msn messenger. Still it’s something I would love to have on my PS3.

+ borntowheel on January 29th, 2009 at 12:12 pm said:

I wonder how weird it must have felt for the founder of XBLA to post this news now for PSN? :)

+ Krypton1te_ on January 29th, 2009 at 12:24 pm said:

Ok, I just read that Peggle, Heavy Weapon, Feeding Frenzy, and Zuma are coming soon. Thank you so much SOE and Popcap. I’m so happy because I just ended up getting Peggle on sale through Steam over the holidays and I’ve been playing it and wishing it was on PS3 instead. I didn’t think it would ever happen but it has!

I will get Peggle and Feeding Frenzy no matter what. I’ll probably get Heavy Weapon also.

+ acerazer1 on January 29th, 2009 at 12:32 pm said:

Sounds great, looking forward to this and future releases. Here’s to games the gf won’t roll her eyes at

+ VivaGardner on January 29th, 2009 at 12:32 pm said:

I’d buy this for $5. Not worth $10 when you get get it for free on your computer and I’ve already played it extensively.

Peggle for PS3 though please.

+ BlackSheepBoy on January 29th, 2009 at 12:32 pm said:

Here’s hoping for Zuma, that game is the shiz.

+ acerazer1 on January 29th, 2009 at 12:32 pm said:

Peggle?? Sweet, can’t wait, I love that shiz. Zuma, too

+ acerazer1 on January 29th, 2009 at 12:33 pm said:

Whoa we both almost typed shiz at the same time, nice one, blacksheep

+ akibake on January 29th, 2009 at 12:34 pm said:

Sorry, $10 is too much for this. I’d pay $4.99. If this game had a competitive element like Puyo Puyo and could be played with friends over PSN, then I would pay $10.

+ VivaGardner on January 29th, 2009 at 12:35 pm said:

Release this at $5 if you want sales. You can play it for free online and I already own it on the computer!

+ lando786 on January 29th, 2009 at 12:36 pm said:

With or without trophies/remote play this would be a instant purchase. Those are just extra goodies. Awesome game. Thanks PopCap Games!!!

+ Fallen_Guardian on January 29th, 2009 at 12:37 pm said:

While im not a bejewled fan really, i look forward to some future titles that i hope to support and enjoy. Thanks for supporting PSN

+ riazor69 on January 29th, 2009 at 12:52 pm said:

Any idea if this is going to be made available in the EU and when?

+ JORDO16 on January 29th, 2009 at 1:07 pm said:

$5.00 would be great since it is free all over the internet. Bejeweled is a freakin sweet game though!

+ maxxy209 on January 29th, 2009 at 1:17 pm said:

Can’t say this game is actually fun, I’m not the type for puzzles but i might pick this up on my new PS3 :). Although 9.99 seems like a waste of my money, but it must be worth it.

And to those asking it’s today and 9.99 .

+ SmokeAdellic on January 29th, 2009 at 1:26 pm said:

in game custom soundtrack or no buy 4 me.

+ norm01 on January 29th, 2009 at 1:27 pm said:

I might have to download this. I’d definitely download it if it were at the $5.99 price point though.

+ SmokeAdellic on January 29th, 2009 at 1:31 pm said:

yo whats good with some chuzzle!?!

+ Berke-h on January 29th, 2009 at 1:32 pm said:

Excellent news!! Great to see casual games blooming up on PSN. Although, as much as I want to purchase it, 9.99 is simply too much for a relatively simple (albeit addictive and fun) game.

But the moment price drops (I was kind of hoping $5) I’ll gobble it up. (along with other games).

+ SmokeAdellic on January 29th, 2009 at 1:34 pm said:

hey how come everytime i submit a comment it goes 2 a page that says error 404 page not found but my comment still goes through?

+ zombie9 on January 29th, 2009 at 1:36 pm said:

9.99 on PS3
Free on my PC =me not buying it!!!

more PS1 game’s please.. I have bought 2 of those and 2 PSN title’s SF HD and wipeout HD..

+ VenomXv on January 29th, 2009 at 1:50 pm said:

Sweet I love this game.

+ jcatech on January 29th, 2009 at 2:06 pm said:

great news! I like this game.

Peggle please!!!

BTW: 9.99 is too much! 4.99 is fair.

+ SpyDudeFX on January 29th, 2009 at 2:12 pm said:

This is such an incredibly addictive game, I remember when I got it and couldn’t put it down. I love playing it on Windows Live Messenger against friends but PS3 is even better.

+ krae_man on January 29th, 2009 at 2:27 pm said:

Screw you guys for making me buy Peggle AGAIN just to get trophies!

+ coolguy30 on January 29th, 2009 at 2:27 pm said:

Looking forward to this!

Thanks!

+ EyesX on January 29th, 2009 at 2:44 pm said:

Whaaaaaay to expensive at $9.99, a bit greedy are we now?

+ Thrasher20 on January 29th, 2009 at 2:49 pm said:

This is why PSN rules! Both quantity and quality ;)

+ Arda82 on January 29th, 2009 at 2:55 pm said:

Great game… I guess it will support 1080p but it really is overprices. For 9.99 popcap should release a bundle of their games, not just one. No buy for me, but i am guessing in a few weeks or months there will be a price drop in this game so i can grab it later.

+ HairyToeKnuckles on January 29th, 2009 at 2:56 pm said:

Puzzle Quest on the PSN fits this bill nicely.

+ whoelse on January 29th, 2009 at 3:28 pm said:

Keep up the SOE games coming to the PS3! :) I know 2009 will be a busy time for the SOE MMOs!

+ Choga on January 29th, 2009 at 3:57 pm said:

oh man i just hope you guys dont put anything else that i have to get on the ps store today or ill have to get out that penny ive been saving for a rainy day.

+ mikemustillo on January 29th, 2009 at 4:55 pm said:

Welcome to PSN ! I’m buying this game tonight, it’s even more addictive than tetris and now in full HD !!!

+ PullusPardusUS on January 29th, 2009 at 5:31 pm said:

i have this on PC =] , and would love if it would be on PSP , any chance it might be?

+ PullusPardusUS on January 29th, 2009 at 5:38 pm said:

oh never mind , haha
“and PSP remote play,”
yup thats great news

+ DMPrince on January 29th, 2009 at 6:37 pm said:

Just picked this up and love it. was already a fan on pc. but have one question. when I click Trophies why does it bring me to my gamer profile card and not the list of trophies instead? ;o

+ Vengeful-Chaos on January 29th, 2009 at 7:11 pm said:

Well after spending an hour and 30 minutes on puzzle mode and classic, I can honestly say I love this game. Quite fun, a bit easier than others but I have yet to really get to the real high levels.

+ Swedgen on January 29th, 2009 at 7:35 pm said:

Bought it and played for a bit. It’s fun. Only one complaint. This game desperately needs custom soundtracks. If not just to keep me awake.

+ RandomEarthling on January 29th, 2009 at 8:14 pm said:

Peggle???

+ big-gunns on January 29th, 2009 at 8:35 pm said:

I played the demo, it’s fun. I like how it looks to.

+ Erdie on January 29th, 2009 at 8:52 pm said:

“Teams at PopCap and SOE are hard at work developing several more titles for PSN”

That made my day, there’s so many great PopCap games I’d love to have on the PS3!

+ BrianC6234 on January 29th, 2009 at 10:44 pm said:

“9.99 on PS3
Free on my PC =me not buying it!!!”

Bejeweled 2 isn’t free on the PC. There’s a version called a trial version but to play the full game you have yo pay. There’s a demo on PSN of the PS3 version so I guess you can play that one. I paid around $7.95 for Bejeweled on my cell phone and it isn’t even Bejeweled 2. Some people sure seem to like to complain about price. What’s the difference if it’s $5 or $10? The game is worth it if you like Bejeweled.

+ joemammaba on January 30th, 2009 at 12:30 am said:

Whats up Greg? Glad to see you are getting your games up on the PSN. Hill loves them and it will be nice to have one more game that she will actually play. Rock on bro!

+ Pinhead_x on January 30th, 2009 at 2:29 am said:

Well, I’m the one to buy ANYTHING that comes out in the PSN, but I have to say. This is totally overpriced.
It’s a great game, but c’mon is a EXACT copy of the PC game, even with the jagged lettering and all. As for the whole 1080P..please. it’s all vector. it’s scalable.
I downloaded the demo and my honest opinion is that a little effort was made to spice up the game for the PSN. 5$ would be more than enough.
That’s just my humble opinion.

+ mikemustillo on January 30th, 2009 at 5:25 am said:

Love this game, I just got it on PSN but why does the system freeze when I click on “Trophies” from within the game ?

+ StalkingSilence on January 30th, 2009 at 6:36 am said:

Wooo more trophies from PSP remote play. Nice!

+ linebeginstoblur on January 30th, 2009 at 8:22 am said:

I downloaded it last night and had fun, but there’s one feature that this game desperately needed and is lacking.

CUSTOM SOUNDTRACKS.

I have to keep listening to the same looping music over and over. I have to resort to turning off music volume and turning on music on my computer. We don’t need custom soundtracks in every game, but this game was an example of one that NEEDED it. I bought Peggle for the iPod, and you could listen to your own music there, so come on, PopCap! Patch this game and add that ability!

+ O1Hitman1O on January 30th, 2009 at 9:56 am said:

great

+ bigdaddyjane on January 30th, 2009 at 10:19 am said:

COOL

+ metalmanniac on January 30th, 2009 at 5:17 pm said:

one my favret cap pop games glad to see it on psn