PS4-The Order

Resident Evil 5 demo live on PSN today

Shawn Baxter's Avatar + Posted by Shawn Baxter on Feb 02, 2009 // Capcom

Hey everyone, I’m Shawn Baxter (Snow) from Capcom-Unity. Our amazing Resident Evil 5 Demo goes live today on PSN, so I thought I’d tease you a bit with some of the cool things to expect, whether you’re an old fan or new to the series. One of the first things I noticed is how good the game looks. It’s hard to get by the beauty RE5 has to offer. Better still, you get to play through two beautiful stages in the demo. Aside from the sweet graphics, there’s plenty more that the demo has to offer.

shot0080-00000

For those new to the series, the controls can seem a bit different than you may expect. The RE brand has always forced you to take your time, stop while shooting, and conserve your ammo. It really helps add a sense of tension a normal shooter can’t offer. But to help those who are new to the world of RE, we have new control types that ease things up a bit. My favorite is Type A, which is probably best if you’re a fan of the previous games, especially RE4. Next on my list is Type D, which I find myself loving more and more. Type D is best if you’re new to the game, and it offers something the others don’t… Strafing! May seem like a simple thing, but in a game as tense as RE5, it can really help in those situations where you have little time to react.

Alright, so I’m sure you’ll love the graphics and controls, but there’s something even better that the Resident Evil 5 demo has to offer: Co-op. Best part is, you can play co-op online over the PSN, or even split-screen for some couch co-op. Now, of course you can play single player, but nothing beats actually playing through with someone who can plan and strategize with you. For an RE game, the fact that I can play with a buddy adds a whole new level of fun. Nothing like getting into a swarm of Majini, and having your partner shoot a few in the face so you can uppercut or flip-kick one of them!

sheva0073-00000 for_gd0041_2-00000

Once you’ve played through the demo, you may want to try taking on the Executioner (huge axe-guy) with a buddy. The first time you play through the demo, run! He is extremely tough. But once you get comfortable with the game and controls, try and bring him down. I’ve tried, and he is extremely hard, but it is indeed possible to kill him, so don’t give up.

Oh, and a quick tip I’ve found is to aim for the heads on the Majini so they stagger back. Chest shots work, but one shot to the head means only one bullet expended, then push Square to pull off one of the crazy powerful melee attacks. If you get them to fall on the ground, run up to him and stomp ‘em with your boot or stab with the knife if you’re playing as Sheva!

February 2nd is just around the corner, so add me to your friends list, and I’ll catch you online for some co-op Majini butt-kickin’! PSN ID: Snow_Infernus

See you online!

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 12

+ sNsKid on February 2nd, 2009 at 3:32 pm said:

wow look at all the errors in my post. lol

I’m tired. Hopefully someone figures out what I was trying to say.

+ Wyrmchaser on February 2nd, 2009 at 3:33 pm said:

Hm, seems Capcom doesn’t even care to respond to comments as most blog posters do. Oh well, I guess we’re just PS3 people! Sorry for not having a 360 Capcom!

+ stennex on February 2nd, 2009 at 3:35 pm said:

This game is going to be CRAPPY if the controls are not changed. Also why can’t we move when shooting, for e.g. side scroll. Coop is a nice addition as well. The game looks good but controlling the character SUCKS. Capcom please update the controls. MGS4 trumps this like a ten ton truck when it comes to controls. Capcom just copy MGS4 control settings.

KillZone 2 a must buy. Street Fighter worth buy or rent.

PSNID: stennex
G.A.P member

+ HanSolo on February 2nd, 2009 at 3:36 pm said:

this game is a 360/pc port, so capcom you can keep it, 5 gb mandatory install shows your laziness and you wont get my money
not for this game and not for other upcoming games, unless you make the ps3 your main developing platform

im not paying 69$ + tax, ( here in canada ) for a lazy port

+ angelcoma on February 2nd, 2009 at 3:48 pm said:

HanSolo its not a lazy port, outside the 5gb install. It looks pretty much like the 360 version. Though I’ll probably get it on 360.

+ trustter on February 2nd, 2009 at 3:49 pm said:

HanSolo,
I live in Canada too. I was even considering asking friends who never played any Resident Evil to buy this one so we could play together but after this crappy controls and lazy port I changed my mind.

It’s hard to think that Resident Evil was born on the PlayStation platform and now is better in another console.

+ Trucidation on February 2nd, 2009 at 3:57 pm said:

RE5 is downright awful. A game that could have been fun to play is totally ruined by a very unfriendly control scheme.

Crapcom drops the ball.

+ PL_Terminator on February 2nd, 2009 at 3:59 pm said:

I played the demo on x360 last f-day and guess what, ITS WAY BETTER THAN THE PS3′s, that Ive just played. The game in its actual state is simply unacceptable. Tell me at first – why the blue hell x360 gets rock-hard 60fps, while us PS3 owners are being treated with shuttery, majorly instable 30-40fps with often below-playable frame drops. It seems like another title you destroyed for PS3 right after DMC4. 5GB install? What-a-joke. If you take yourself to be serious game developers ask yourself – why Guerilla or Naughty Dog don’t get trouble makin’ an impressive game without ANY installation or fetching of gamedata. Indeed you don’t seem to care of any PS3gamers:
- we get the demo 2 months later than xbox owners (please, don’t say you sent it to SCE the same time as to MS games, because truely you didn’t)
- we get alpha-kind-version of x360 demo, which looks, sounds and even plays horrible in comparison to x360 version (though you even had 2 more months)
- you require 5gb install (I understand BD transfer rate is slower than the one of DVDDL, but somehow Killzone 2 or Uncharted can cope very well without it!)
- ugly textures, ugly models, poor controls; and I don’t care about what you’ve promised;
ran out of space

+ Wone84 on February 2nd, 2009 at 4:03 pm said:

OMGWTF i have downloaded this 3 times now and the same thing keeps happening An error occurred during install (80029564).

+ dj128 on February 2nd, 2009 at 4:04 pm said:

This is going 2 be my first time playin Resident Evil ever

+ Darkos87 on February 2nd, 2009 at 4:04 pm said:

Not my kind of game I guess, too slow. Still looks good!

+ Nsho on February 2nd, 2009 at 4:06 pm said:

I’m downloading the Demo right now!!!

+ maxxy209 on February 2nd, 2009 at 4:10 pm said:

downloading it now if its good ill buy it

+ El_Matador1957 on February 2nd, 2009 at 4:13 pm said:

you cant run and gun or run and knife this game must be fun! LoL

+ Demonic_Zhen on February 2nd, 2009 at 4:17 pm said:

Awesome play through but PL_Terminator has a point. Please tell me that you will stop trying to run weaker software on a stronger system. I don’t care about the HDD install, what I do care about is when you port a game to system and not beef it up the way it could be . . . don’t be lazy!

+ wU-sOLdiEr210 on February 2nd, 2009 at 4:20 pm said:

i wonder sony got the demo late? didnt this series showcase on a sony product first? i guess sony likes being second best

+ yurinka on February 2nd, 2009 at 4:29 pm said:

Wellcome Snow! BTW where is John “The Man” Diamonon? I miss him!

P.S.: The demo is awesome. Controls were ok for me :)

Shawn Baxter's Avatar

+ Shawn Baxter on February 2nd, 2009 at 4:32 pm said:

You miss John? Hang on, I\’ll yell at him to jump on here. His desk is right next to mine.

+ Thrasher20 on February 2nd, 2009 at 4:30 pm said:

Hey Shawn Baxter, thanks for the reply :)

I read the site you gave me and yes, I love it the way it is with no “run and gun”. That’s how RE should be :)

+ wocyob on February 2nd, 2009 at 4:34 pm said:

i have too agree with 97 there there was a huge FPS loss when blowing up a barrel with a few bad dudes around… eh what can u do… learn from the dev did with burnout… made it for the ps3 then ported to the xbox… simple as that

+ Crimson_Ryan on February 2nd, 2009 at 4:45 pm said:

The Co-Op is broken. I can’t connect to friends, or invite them. And when I DO, the screen is so dark that I literally had to quit because I couldn’t see anything.

I seriously hope this is better, because my friends say the JPN version had no problems that the NA version has.

I really want to play with friends, but it just won’t let me… Never heard of a demo that needed a patch until now.

+ Xuchilbara on February 2nd, 2009 at 4:49 pm said:

OMG OMG OMG OMG This really took me by surprise. The PS Blog has proven itself to be an excellent home page to start my surf through the net, but this time around with news of a R5 demo TODAY is just OUTSTANDINGLY PRICELESS.

Thanks to everybody behind the scenes that make all of this possible, all the way from the game developers, publishers to the PSN and the PS Blog. Gracias!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Nic3rack12 on February 2nd, 2009 at 4:49 pm said:

Yeah, where’s John? I’m sure he remembers me :D

And the demo is win.

+ k-plz929 on February 2nd, 2009 at 4:51 pm said:

WOW I CANT BELIVEVE THE DEMO IS ON THE PSN TODAY!!! AT FIRST I THOUGHT ONLY XBOX 360 OWNERS CAN PLAY THE DEMO BUT LOOKS LIKE THEIR NOT SPECIAL ANYMORE CUZ WE HAVE THE CHANCE NOW TO PLAY IT ON PS3. IT’S VERY IMPRESSIVE FROM THE GRAPHICS TO THE GAMEPLAY NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER WITT FRAMERATE ITS STEADY AND QUICK. ALSO I LOVE THE ADDED FEATURE TO ONLINE CO-OP. I HOPE ITS EVEN MORE IMPRESSIVE THAN THE DEMO WHEN THE RETAIL VERSION OF THE GAME COMES TO THE STORES…..HOPEFULLY WITH FASTER LOADING TIMES ; )

+ cowboyd21 on February 2nd, 2009 at 4:55 pm said:

RE 5 is a good game that sound and look good but i will not buy buy this game because of the control , bad camera view and game play am not going to complain about the 5 gb because its not a real big deal 2 me. the ps3 and 360 version of the game look the same to i really dont see a different , i pause the game play , play both i just dont see any different . dead space to me is the better game of the two.

+ maxxy209 on February 2nd, 2009 at 4:58 pm said:

the demo is awesome wonder why others are having a hard time

+ EvoAnubis on February 2nd, 2009 at 4:59 pm said:

Who the hell are you, and where’s John?

*chuckles* Just kidding, Shawn. Welcome to the PlayStation.Blog. You just HAD to make your first post here a crucial one, didn’t you?

RE5 looks and plays great; it may actually cut into my KZ2 time.

+ TheFlyingBurrito on February 2nd, 2009 at 4:59 pm said:

Does the demo look better or about the same as the 360 Demo

+ Raadius on February 2nd, 2009 at 5:01 pm said:

^ @#223

If you think the frame rate is steady and quick in the PS3, play the Xbox360 version, it blows the PS3 version out the water. It’s like Capcom Japan was grinning at Sony when they handed over the demo and Sony was like “huh, what’s with the grin”. Sony is usually good with certification on demos but for them to release such a poorly old build – pre coded demo to the public just to say “we got it out for PS3 users is childish. Microsoft easily got a better develop demo than us and that sucks. Capcom doesn’t even care about PS3 users releasing products like this.

Also, we can’t blame Shawn, it’s not like he made the game or anything, he’s just a PR man and he’s a 360 guy at that and even HE KNOWS the 360 demo is better.

Seriously, if Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 (which look waaaay better) than Resident Evil 5 can pull off no mandatory install, Capcom has NO EXCUSE.

It’s sickening how Sony can stand by and let it’s fanbase just sit here, pissed off when we get the short end of the stick. That’s why Sony is in a distant 3rd. Like MS PR rep said a few weeks ago, Sony has lost touch with it’s root and gaming community this gen.

+ sNsKid on February 2nd, 2009 at 5:01 pm said:

Okies after playing the game online with a friend who cared whether I lived or died I have to say this game is great. Getting used to the controls was a pain, but now that I am used to them I feel like they are fine. I wish that your partner’s AI was as good has having a real person playing with you.
My only complaint about the demo is that is so short. At least in a couple of weeks I’ll have SFIV to distract me and then K2.
I am definitely getting RE5 day one. I have to. I want to go through the entire game online. People get mics so you really can communicate.

+ TakiFuGu on February 2nd, 2009 at 5:05 pm said:

DMC4 (5GB)
RE5 (5GB)
Street Fighter IV (5GB)
Bionic Comando (5GB)

Make that 20GB in total people. It’s the Capcom way!!!

+ Raadius on February 2nd, 2009 at 5:11 pm said:

#227

I have both demos and this is the truth but it looks better on Xbox360.

Seriously, if you only have a PS3 and play the RE5 demo, it looks pretty good but if you get the chance to play it on Xbox360 you will notice difference immediately, like sharper graphics, better framerate, better colors, less blur and better AA etc. The PS3 version suffers from horrible frame rate throughout the demo or when there is too much happening on the screen (explosions and zombies). Also there are jaggies all over, sheesh, I mean, were is the AA Capcom? A lot of textures in the PS3 version is blurry too which makes me believe this is old old old build or Capcom Japan is just being lazy.

Also the fact this is a direct port from the 360 version, which makes me mad because we all know how ports of PS3 don’t look great compared to Xbox360. I wish they had went the Devil May Cry 4 route and make it for PS3 in mind and port it over to the Xbox360.

Seriously, with horrible port jobs and 3rd party exclusives content Microsoft is grabbing up for Xbox360, there is no wonder why Sony is losing this generation. Microsoft had deeper pockets and a fatter wallet, it’s soo disgusting :(

+ sNsKid on February 2nd, 2009 at 5:12 pm said:

@230

There is going to be an install for SFIV as well? OMG!! WTF is wrong with capcom?? D:

Anyway, there is some lag when stuff gets intense and you try to pick up items.

MGS4 has a 5GB install and if you delete it all of the extras you downloaded get deleted right along with it.

+ TakiFuGu on February 2nd, 2009 at 5:12 pm said:

What’s the word with Monster Hunter 3 for the PS3? That’s what I really want to know about. I’ll even go for the multi-platform thing. We all know how much Capcom loves Microsoft checks.
I bet if Microsoft was giving you guys a blank check, it would’ve been a release date for it already. wink wink! By the way Wii suck! Bring Monster Hunter 3 home.

+ EvoAnubis on February 2nd, 2009 at 5:16 pm said:

Question: why the hell is everyone so worried about how it looks compared to the 360 version? What possible difference does that make?

+ TheFlyingBurrito on February 2nd, 2009 at 5:17 pm said:

i will download the demo tonight. Im going to read the reviews when they start coming out to see witch version of the game i am going to get on launch day.

+ MaskedWonder on February 2nd, 2009 at 5:18 pm said:

I just tried playing the demo and it froze during a loading screen! What’s going on?

+ KUSHman666 on February 2nd, 2009 at 5:21 pm said:

i liked the demo. old school but not too new school. i presume the finished game will be much more gory :-D great work capcom, keep em coming

+ Squigmond on February 2nd, 2009 at 5:22 pm said:

Can’t wait to try it!

Shawn Baxter's Avatar

+ Shawn Baxter on February 2nd, 2009 at 5:37 pm said:

Alright, so I did some digging about some of your questions around here. So far mums the word on DLC, but I will say there’s some exciting content coming for PS3 users… ;)

More on that soon.

+ Asshandler on February 2nd, 2009 at 5:40 pm said:

Loved the demo, especially the online co-op, brilliantly implemented. Wish the demo was longer, and by god I miss the Zombies, I really do. I’d kill for a real Zombie Resident Evil again…

+ Nic3rack12 on February 2nd, 2009 at 5:41 pm said:

The demo is really good/. What’s even better is I am getting this game free when it comes out!

+ loklok10 on February 2nd, 2009 at 5:42 pm said:

looks like MGS4 quality

+ loklok10 on February 2nd, 2009 at 5:45 pm said:

why so many people complain about 5GB? More G means more contents

+ jipmg on February 2nd, 2009 at 5:48 pm said:

Please dont just ignore potential consumers.

Shawn Baxter's Avatar

+ Shawn Baxter on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:02 pm said:

Well, this same question has come up before for our other titles. Ultimately, this comes down to load times. Basically, the install decreases load times.

I have the 40gb, so I know what it\’s like to have a HDD fill up.

+ ordnaeLeandro on February 2nd, 2009 at 5:52 pm said:

I don’t know if its just me but this demo is a major let down. There are so many things wrong with this game I don’t even know where to begin. I guess I’ll have to stick with RE4. Damn you Capcom! I was so looking forward to a killer sequel.

+ EvoAnubis on February 2nd, 2009 at 5:57 pm said:

“Can you please respond as to why the game has a 5GB install, and the same game on the 360, has an amazing 140kb save file and thats it?”

Um….probably because a standard install isn’t an option for the 360.

+ Asshandler on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:03 pm said:

I didn’t realize the game had a 5GB mandatory install. I HATE mandatory installs!

My 60GB PS3 is full of family photos, videos, demos, and games I’ve bought off the PSN, I have less than 1GB free space remaining.

I’m going to have to think about this…. stupid mandatory installs can die in a fire.

+ StealthCorazon on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:03 pm said:

I don’t know what ya’ll people are on but come on…it’s friggin resident evil…stop your whinin’ and start shootin….it’ll make you feel better =P.

+ jipmg on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:05 pm said:

Which explains why Devil may cry 4 has better loading times on the XBOX 360 than on the PS3, and let me not even talk about Lost planet.

Im dissapointed in the Co-op, since the 360 VERSION has in game invites, we cant even invite players on our friend list into co-op.

Will this ever be fixed? Already the game is turning into something I might not even buy, and I was really looking forward to it.

+ Mikel93 on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:07 pm said:

This is awesome, now I can play the game.

Thank you very much, Capcom.

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 12