PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Resident Evil 5 demo live on PSN today

Shawn Baxter's Avatar + Posted by Shawn Baxter on Feb 02, 2009 // Capcom

Hey everyone, I’m Shawn Baxter (Snow) from Capcom-Unity. Our amazing Resident Evil 5 Demo goes live today on PSN, so I thought I’d tease you a bit with some of the cool things to expect, whether you’re an old fan or new to the series. One of the first things I noticed is how good the game looks. It’s hard to get by the beauty RE5 has to offer. Better still, you get to play through two beautiful stages in the demo. Aside from the sweet graphics, there’s plenty more that the demo has to offer.

shot0080-00000

For those new to the series, the controls can seem a bit different than you may expect. The RE brand has always forced you to take your time, stop while shooting, and conserve your ammo. It really helps add a sense of tension a normal shooter can’t offer. But to help those who are new to the world of RE, we have new control types that ease things up a bit. My favorite is Type A, which is probably best if you’re a fan of the previous games, especially RE4. Next on my list is Type D, which I find myself loving more and more. Type D is best if you’re new to the game, and it offers something the others don’t… Strafing! May seem like a simple thing, but in a game as tense as RE5, it can really help in those situations where you have little time to react.

Alright, so I’m sure you’ll love the graphics and controls, but there’s something even better that the Resident Evil 5 demo has to offer: Co-op. Best part is, you can play co-op online over the PSN, or even split-screen for some couch co-op. Now, of course you can play single player, but nothing beats actually playing through with someone who can plan and strategize with you. For an RE game, the fact that I can play with a buddy adds a whole new level of fun. Nothing like getting into a swarm of Majini, and having your partner shoot a few in the face so you can uppercut or flip-kick one of them!

sheva0073-00000 for_gd0041_2-00000

Once you’ve played through the demo, you may want to try taking on the Executioner (huge axe-guy) with a buddy. The first time you play through the demo, run! He is extremely tough. But once you get comfortable with the game and controls, try and bring him down. I’ve tried, and he is extremely hard, but it is indeed possible to kill him, so don’t give up.

Oh, and a quick tip I’ve found is to aim for the heads on the Majini so they stagger back. Chest shots work, but one shot to the head means only one bullet expended, then push Square to pull off one of the crazy powerful melee attacks. If you get them to fall on the ground, run up to him and stomp ‘em with your boot or stab with the knife if you’re playing as Sheva!

February 2nd is just around the corner, so add me to your friends list, and I’ll catch you online for some co-op Majini butt-kickin’! PSN ID: Snow_Infernus

See you online!

PAGE 1 4 5 6 7 8 12

+ Don-Pinguino on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:11 pm said:

shawn whats your avatar from?

btw loved the demo (co-op FTW)

Shawn Baxter's Avatar

+ Shawn Baxter on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:43 pm said:

It\’s a character that was never released for Lost Planet.

+ trustter on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:12 pm said:

Very vague answers….

+ x3-power on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:19 pm said:

Demo is nice. Was stuck at the chainsaw guy, so I try to get a friend together to play through it.

Little did we know that ONLINE COOP invite/send with PSN friends did not work. We’ve tried like an hour, taking turns to host and send invites, restarting the game, restarting PS3, and we still CAN NOT play together. So we give up.

Random online coop still works but playing with strangers is not the same as playing with friends. Anyway, I hope I can get some help here with PSN friends invite/send, while I’ll try to visit some forums for solutions that might be posted.

+ Yoinazek on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:19 pm said:

Why does Sheva has to be a lefty?!?!?! All these gamer years shooting as a right handed (and being right handed) it really annoys me to see her shooting left handed >_<.

+ THATAIDE on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:26 pm said:

It seems like every Capcom game will require 5GB installs, that’s a GIGANTIC INCOMPETENCE from Capcom since all those games run just as well on 360 without installing a single byte. If it was just for the loading times, it should be optional, the reason behind these mandatory instalations is because Capcom is lazy and won’t work to make the game run straight from the disc like they do on 360…

If the game was a PS3 exclusive we could accept the “wouldn’t play as well without the instalation”, but if the game plays just as well (or in Lost Planet’s case, better) on the 360 (a slightly less powerful console, worth noting) without instaling, the same could be done on the PS3 had Capcom worked just a little harder…

It seems that interview where the producer said RE5 wouldn’t require an instalation because Capcom knows people don’t like it was just a lie.

What’s next? 10GB installs?

Shawn Baxter's Avatar

+ Shawn Baxter on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:46 pm said:

Well, the PS3 has a 2x Blu-Ray drive, while the 360 has a 15x DVD drive. Spinning faster means it can access that info faster. To keep load times from being too long, there\’s a mandatory install on the PS3.

I wish there was more to explain with it, but like I said before, it just comes down to decreasing the load time.

+ Microshock on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:27 pm said:

jipmg, the invites are done from the xmb. So yes it’s possible. You just have to host a game and go in the xmb, select the player and click invite

+ Chase167 on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:27 pm said:

HOLY CRAP
I WENT 2 GAMESTOP THIS MORNING
AND TOOK MY MONEY OFF THIS CRAP
THIS DEMO IS SO DISAPPOINTING
HOLY CRAP

+ Stoffinator on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:30 pm said:

@Shawn

That doesn’t really ring true. 5gig install improves load times? Why do other games that look much better on the PS3 don’t require any install?

To me it just comes off as lazy development on your guys side. You build it for the 360, then half ass it to the PS3. Then try to kiss our ass by coming on this blog and making it look like you are a multi platform company. But you really aren’t.

+ SPARDA on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:32 pm said:

i enjoed the demo on the ps3, but i admit that the one i played on my friend“s 360 was better quality. iam very disappointed. I dont care about the 5 gig install, but i do care about better graphics and especially frame rate. This series was born onthe playstation brand and i feel like Capcom is not showing any respect to us ps3 owners.
This game is no longer a must buy for me, just weekend rental.
thank you guys for the update on the blog. keep up the great work.

SPARDA

+ EvoAnubis on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:32 pm said:

“Little did we know that ONLINE COOP invite/send with PSN friends did not work. We’ve tried like an hour, taking turns to host and send invites, restarting the game, restarting PS3, and we still CAN NOT play together. So we give up”

I had that same issue, took the same steps, and just gave up in 20 minutes.

+ Asshandler on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:34 pm said:

You CAN invite friends into your co-op game. Create the game, and make sure to change the option to allow “Friends Only” or “Public Game”.

Once you create the game as “Friends Only”, a message appears on the screen telling you to invite a friend.

YOu simply press the XMB button, bring up your friend list, find the person you want to invite, then press Triangle, and select “Invite this Friend”.

They don’t even have to be playing the game at the time to receive the invite as far as I can tell.

+ Raadius on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:36 pm said:

@#234 EvoAnubis

Simply put, would you want to play an inferior product on your system of choice? It’s not that it slightly looks better, the Xbox360 looks utterly better which makes us wonder what the hell is going on at Capcom. A title in development for 3 years can’t look any better than THIS on another rival – powerful console? PS3 owners have been given horrible port jobs for almost 3 years now, it’s just plain lame.

@#246 EvoAnubis

That’s another reason PS3 owners have a right to be upset, 5GB vs 140kb is insane. So the game loads faster, big whoop, 1-3 secs for 5gigs? If that’s the case make it OPTIONAL and let US decide. There was a point when we had the upper hand with a built in HDD 40, 60 and 80GB of space and we laugh at Xbox360 20GB, now they laugh back at us and these stupid 5GB mandatory installs, and guess what, they have 60GB of space and NO mandatory installs.

I predict this now, Final Fantasy XIII will have a 13GB mandatory install and Final Fantasy Versus XIII will release in 2015 with a 48GB mandatory install, lol.

+ dam6655 on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:38 pm said:

That internet is buzzing about this game. Buzzing about how bad it is. LOL.

Listen to the “listen up podcast”(formally 1up Yours) they trash this game bad.

+ Booka606 on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:40 pm said:

okay first of all guys..
i think everyone needs to be greatful that we got the playstation version of the demo.
and i think that the controls feel fine to me.
they feel just like resident evil 4 controls just a little changed.
i enjoyed the demo. i beat it by myself and i beat it with a friend and i cant wait for the final build.
i could care less about the graphics, gameplay is wat im looking for.
and for me to kill that chainsaw guy i was using sheva online. it took me 20 hand gun bullets and 4 barrels…thats it..

+ dojikyo on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:41 pm said:

The blu-ray drive in the PS3 can’t stream data as quickly as the dvd drive in a 360.

And in no way is the PS3 more powerful than the 360. At best, they are about the same with the PS3 being significantly more complex to work with.

The 5 gig installation isn’t something to hold against Capcom. Unlike the online performance of SF HD. That is just horrendous.

+ Booka606 on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:42 pm said:

oh and two somersault kicks

+ ordnaeLeandro on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:44 pm said:

After looking at comparisons there’s no way in [DELETED] I’m buying this game.

The PS3 version looks like crap compared to 360. I’m not supporting this crap. The day Capcom starts giving a [DELETED] about the PS3 I’ll start buying their games.

+ Dave18901 on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:46 pm said:

Just finished the demo, loved the coop. Thanks

+ superben1990 on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:52 pm said:

+ Ixionx on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:53 pm said:

Just tried out the demo and I loved it. I didn’t like the control system to begin with, but within a few minutes it felt natural.

And to the people complaining about the mandatory install… is it really that big of an issue? Read the manual whilst it’s installing, make a hot drink. I really don’t see why an installation gets a ‘oh noes i can’t buy this game now’ issue. It is useless comparing it to the Xbox 360 version because you’re talking about different hardware.

+ jayyy91 on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:54 pm said:

I’m VERY disappointed that this game will have a 5GB install for the PS3. Are you kidding me?? The XBOX 360 has NO install? What a joke!

Look at Killzone 2! It runs straight from the disc and it looks A LOT better than RE5.

I see no reason why Capcom couldn’t have taken the time to make it so RE5 ran straight from the disc for PS3. This is just laziness on Capcom’s part.

To me, this is like a kick in the balls from Capcom to all PS3 owners.

Sorry Capcom, this will be a NO-BUY for me. I’ll be enjoying Killzone 2 though! :)

+ Stoffinator on February 2nd, 2009 at 6:58 pm said:

“Well, the PS3 has a 2x Blu-Ray drive, while the 360 has a 15x DVD drive. Spinning faster means it can access that info faster. To keep load times from being too long, there’s a mandatory install on the PS3.”

I don’t buy it, sorry. Many games do not have such huge installs and have more going on then RE5. It just comes off as either being lazy or not knowing how to do it.

But I give you credit for at least trying.

+ El_Matador1957 on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:03 pm said:

how can you not be able to knife the enemies when your moving i understand the stoping and shooting but not being able to knife what is this it probably the most annoying part of this game

+ Thrill_Kill on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:04 pm said:

Wow, after playing this demo I can seriously say, what a horrible Resident Evil game! The controls are horrible and if this game didn’t have the name Resident Evil it would have some horrible reviews.

Also I would like to say, it’s too bad CAPCOM have made nothing but junk since RE4 on Gamecube. If they would just focus on PS exclusives once again like they used to they might start making quality games again, but chances of that happening are not very high.

Also making exclusive content for 360 on Dead Rising 2 and Lost Planet 2 is just plain stupid and arrogant. They have really abandoned the PS brand and I just wont be buying their games anymore until they stop with the multiplatform garbage titles they keep producing and the special support for that failure console, 360.

CAPCOM, how low can you go?

+ jayyy91 on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:07 pm said:

Like I said before, Killzone 2 manages to run straight from the disc with no mandatory install so why can’t RE5? Maybe if Capcom spent more time working on the PS3 version then they could do it for RE5 too.

This is why I prefer buying exclusive games over multiplatform games on the PS3.

+ gilcrno on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:13 pm said:

I didn’t really like the demo. The gameplay is slow and controls are poorly implemented. The graphics are nice and the shotgun was pretty cool (it’s fun watching things get blown to bits) but the demo didn’t make me want to get the game. Aside from the game’s controls the story and graphics are great.

+ Angdogg on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:13 pm said:

Taking All Day for Me to Download..
But…

GOING TO BE TOTALLY WORTH IT!

Thanks SONY!

+ Ldrofmn on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:15 pm said:

I would add you as a friend, but sadly, my PS3 broke down for some unknown reason the other day. So now I’m trying to think of the cheapest, shortest, and best way to get it fixed: buy a 160 GB, send it to Geek Squad, or send it to Sony. If you can tell me, how long would it take Sony to fix my PS3?

+ NinjaZeroEight on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:16 pm said:

Shawn Baxter | February 2nd, 2009 at 5:37 pm

Alright, so I did some digging about some of your questions around here. So far mums the word on DLC, but I will say there’s some exciting content coming for PS3 users… ;)

More on that soon.

—–

Dude… I’ll believe it when I see it. With how capcom japanese devs are treating PS3 users…. i dunno… why not just release the same DLC for both consoles?
I also heard Dead Rising 2 will be getting special treatment on the 360 to show “good will” towards the console…… we don’t even have Dead Rising ONE!!
What capcom could do is release Dead Rising one and 2 on ONE dual layer BD… if you could fit Dead Rising one on a 10 gig dvd you could put 2 dead risings on a dual layer BD.

To the people that complain about the install factor….. buy a bigger HDD. or delete the install files for older games. Simple.
If you want to complain about anything, complain about the fact that Capcom is making Resident Evil 5 suffer as a whole. Releasing it on two systems means that they both suffer because both systems have different specs. So instead of maxing out the PS3 power they gotta bring down the quality to match the other system.

+ stlthriot on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:18 pm said:

I think we need to have a post regarding upgrading your PS3 hard drive again.

I seen a nice Western Digital 500gb that is SATA and laptop 2.5″ for only about $120 at BestBuy which I figure would work well in the PS3. Any official word?

And, when you backup your current one, what info comes with it? All your updates? I suppose you have to redownload everything but what about things like LittleBigPlanet with timed DLC content that goes away?

Please help! :) Thanks!

+ Midgetguy on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:23 pm said:

The demo was cool! It was pretty fun playing online co-op! Only thing I didn’t like is the fact that when you shoot a “zombie” you have to wait for his little “ooh-I-got-injured” animation to end before you can deal more damage! It’s a pain in the arsenal when there’s a huge mob of “zombies” and you can’t take one dude out because you’re waiting for his animation to end… UGH!

Other than that, the game was actually better than I thought it would be! (But, honestly, I still think Dead Space is more “playable”)

+ Don-Pinguino on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:28 pm said:

people have to understand that Blu-ray is new technology. DVDs have been out for years, thats why they get faster speeds.

you will see faster blu-ray drives eventually. plus capcom does make optional installs (SF IV has one)

+ wheresmyphone on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:30 pm said:

Does this cost anything?

+ enewtabie on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:32 pm said:

@270
You may not buy it,but it’s true.The BD drive does spin at a slow speed.Other games don’t have loading issues? Well,Dead Space “hides” it’s loading in the tram screens and plenty of other games have loading screens,just not in plain sight. As for Killzone,it’s been in development for five years and does have loading blips in the game.

+ ManaKnight on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:33 pm said:

I really like the demo. I will admit I never been too big of an RE fan over the years, but this demo makes me want the game even more now. Really a lot of fun and it looks great. :D

Those complaining about the install, let me just tell you that Capcom has already invested a lot of money into their graphic engine. It does a very good job keeping all console versions looking very similar (unlike many other publishers). It also allows many games to be released on all platforms on the same day. However, one trade-off about how the engine works constantly reads the disc in a way that requires a fast drive.

Impressive looking PS3 exclusives that have no install were designed on the PS3 hardware right from the get go, while this is an engine designed for many platforms. Investing in a PS3 engine JUST to maybe decrease the install would cost a lot of money.

+ Don-Pinguino on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:34 pm said:

@281

demos are free.

@shawn thx for the answer, shame on you tho for not having Uncharted trophies in your profile…

you dont own a ps3 unless you have Uncharted :p

+ robotmafia1234 on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:41 pm said:

@231 i think its a little early to judge after all this is just a demo, but its not impossible that the 360 has better graphics

+ NinjaZeroEight on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:42 pm said:

@284.. I’m surprised he even still has a PS3 considering how much love CAPCOM gives the 360 and Wii you’d think the employees forgot what a playstation was…
I know, low blow, but come one…
Sometime in 2008:
CAPCOM: “Yes, we’ll be releasing all our future games multi-platorm”
—two days later—
CAPCOM: “We’d like to announce monster hunter exclusive to the Wii, and a port of dead rising to the wii… What’s playstation?”

+ aranben1 on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:42 pm said:

I am so sick of posts made by Capcom on this blog. They come here trying to promote their games and every time the PS3 version of that game is shafted. How hard is it to release the demo of RE5 during the same week for both Xbox and PS3? How hard is it to implement trophies for a downloadable title like STF2T:HD? How hard is it to NOT have a mandatory 5gig install?

Playstation owners don’t deserve this kind of crap. If it wasn’t for us, Devil May Cry and Resident Evil wouldn’t even be the popular franchises they are today. If it wasn’t for the Playstation fans in Japan buying your Monster Hunter games, you guys would be screwed. Oh wait, lets screw the loyal Playstation owners in Japan by canceling Monster Hunter 3 for PS3.

+ cronqvist on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:43 pm said:

I was on the fence with RE5 (kinda still am), but the demo is so good I’m willing to give it a chance.

+ EvoAnubis on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:50 pm said:

Trust me Raadius, I entirely see your point, but currently the differences are negligible, as opposed to how they were in year one (F.E.A.R. is still in my purchasing hall of shame). If multi plats are a little bit better on the 360 at this point, so be it. Our exclusives blow anything on the 360 out of the water.

Besides, multiplat games are hard to do if they’re direct 360 ports. The PS3 needs a cleaner code than the 360 does, and this probably began as a 360 project. Over time, developers will start a project on the PS3 and then port that over to the 360 as that’s far easier, but for now this is the way it is. Complaining about it is an exercise in futility.

+ VivaGardner on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:52 pm said:

Why can you not move while you’re knifing? That’s retarded.

I have to say I was really excited for this game and now I’ll be waiting.

+ APaz on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:54 pm said:

Downloading the demo right now.

+ psnbakaotaku on February 2nd, 2009 at 7:56 pm said:

@287
I have to agree with that. PlayStation™ is the base of Capcom’s mainstream games. Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, and Monster Hunter series.

It makes me sad that Capcom turn its back off PlayStation fans after what they have given to Capcom. And it’s more depressing to see that Capcom’s goodies goes to Micro$oft. -_-

+ NinjaZeroEight on February 2nd, 2009 at 8:06 pm said:

It’s all about money. It is for other businesses outside of the video game industry, so what makes CAPCOM any different than every other business?

If the company YOU worked for said, “Hey we’re going to get a lot more money from this new company called ‘Company Z’ than our current company, ‘Company A’. You’ll even get a raise! So let’s screw over Company A!”
Would you say, “No, no. I want my same wage and lets not screw over Company A, we’ve been with them for years.”?…. i don’t think so.

+ sainraja on February 2nd, 2009 at 8:06 pm said:

Needing an install to reduce load times sounds like a good reason but did it have to be 5GB of data? Isn’t that like the whole game? You should make it a downloadable version on PSN and release it early, haha!

One more thing, could you convince the Resident Evil team to go back to the series roots for us old time fans? =/

+ sainraja on February 2nd, 2009 at 8:08 pm said:

@Raadius – How does the game look soooo much better on the box?

+ TheInfectedBy590 on February 2nd, 2009 at 8:09 pm said:

Wow this is awesome news! Off to dll nao!

+ D-Squad3 on February 2nd, 2009 at 8:16 pm said:

Online co-op is fun, still not a fan of the controls though. :(

+ Nomik2 on February 2nd, 2009 at 8:17 pm said:

The control mechanics really turned me off…quite frustrating for newcomers to the series. I understand you need to do some fan service to people but there are other ways of doing it.

PAGE 1 4 5 6 7 8 12