PS3-TLOU Left Behind

LittleBigPlanet Valentines Pack Update

Mark Valledor's Avatar + Posted by Mark Valledor on Feb 05, 2009 // Marketing Manager, SCEA

In a world of public apologies, consider this my big fat sack-sized “I’m Sorry!”.

As some of you noted on your comments, the LBP Valentines pack is actually priced at $2.99 despite my post where it was stated as free. I welcome everyone now at this point to send me a “SACKBOY SLAP” via comments. I deserve it.

LittleBigPlanet - Sackboy Expressions Valentines Post

Don’t worry, we have tons of Free LBP DLC coming down the line so look for those announcements soon.

(hopefully I won’t have to put my foot inside my mouth again.)

- Mark

+ JohnnyMoses on February 5th, 2009 at 3:51 pm said:

You guys are great and LBP is a great game. However, you should learn from your mistakes and the only way to do that would be to make this free at a loss to you. Instead you’re making your fans pay for your mistake! I wouldn’t DL this either way. But, you should feel bad for the people that got excited for free content. They are your fans and have already supported you by buying the game. Don’t forget, you wouldn’t have jobs without them.

+ mywhitenoise on February 5th, 2009 at 3:52 pm said:

when are you guys going to fix the online lag?

+ PAYBACK-joker on February 5th, 2009 at 3:53 pm said:

Well, thanks for clarifying it at least Mark, it is appreciated. I should have just DL’d it from EU or Japan now, but no worries, NBD Bro.

Keep the DLC coming, there are a lot of people out here who’ll buy just about anything related to LBP!

+ KSPRAYDAD on February 5th, 2009 at 3:59 pm said:

@80….

No…if they CORRECT their error before the date or time of sale (which is what happened here) they are under no moral or legal obligation to honour the $0 price.

Now….that promise of a First Week T-Shirt is a different matter….

+ redbar0n787 on February 5th, 2009 at 4:07 pm said:

thanks :( i think :( i wanted to get this
slap

+ Rhez on February 5th, 2009 at 4:08 pm said:

sackboy slap!

I thought ok maybe a free costume but all the stuff too? Yeah too good to be true. I’ll still get it. I totally support the great team at MM. LBP itself is too good to be true. Best game ever.

+ Skater_Ricky on February 5th, 2009 at 4:09 pm said:

Any Word on if your Making “ONLINE” Level Create????????????? It would make my day to know its in the works :D

and if so how many Players would be able 2 or 4 players creating the same Level???

Ricky,

+ El_Matador1957 on February 5th, 2009 at 4:11 pm said:

WOW WHAT A waste of money I will never but this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Blkant on February 5th, 2009 at 4:21 pm said:

Well I forgive you, People make mistakes and we get over them. Im just glad to have Mm and LBP on our side :D

+ ThEosSiE on February 5th, 2009 at 4:27 pm said:

I really wouldn’t care if you never release any DLC for free. I’ll picked up whatever you guys release for LBP.

Money well spent in supporting you guys and an outstanding game.

Thanks!!

+ millerdude75 on February 5th, 2009 at 4:28 pm said:

Wow Sony can’t do anything right. If you said it was free it should be free. It would be nice to know when a patch is going to be out to fix the game, but I’m sure you guys would rather add more DLC that you can charge us for rather than fix what’s wrong.

+ SixStringPsycho on February 5th, 2009 at 4:37 pm said:

thats okay. Still I wont buy festivities stuff

+ solidgraysoldier on February 5th, 2009 at 4:38 pm said:

you don’t need to not buy it bro, 3 bucks isn’t much of a bad deal.

+ Skater_Ricky on February 5th, 2009 at 4:44 pm said:

@millerdude75

You didn’t even Mention to want is Wrong with the Game can you be Specific on the issue???????????????????????????????????

Thanks…

And also to mention you don’t have to buy anything guys if you don’t want to there not making you! :P

+ jordan199311 on February 5th, 2009 at 4:45 pm said:

Hey, When are more trophies coming out? I got the platinum and I’m short 2 MGS trophies but im gonna get em soon, dont worry

+ Schnacky on February 5th, 2009 at 4:49 pm said:

where is the store update….

+ WINNERS_CIRCLE24 on February 5th, 2009 at 5:18 pm said:

mclovin is awesome

+ Watchmann on February 5th, 2009 at 5:32 pm said:

When I first read the “free” price tag on this pack I thought that Sony & Mm had finally come to their senses and not charge for something that ought to be free.

Yes, developers need to get paid. I understand that. We have, however, already paid for the game, and as one Sony executive put it (and I paraphrase)– we saved up paycheques so we could afford a PS3 along with the games that now cost $10 more because of development costs.

Additionally, these costumes act as a way of persuading those who’ve already got LBP to hold onto their copy and not sell it– with the idea that fewer used copies will sit on store shelves. More money in the pockets of publishers & developers. Other costumes (like Motorstorm, LocoRoco , etc.) are cross promotional tools. Ads. Sony seems to be in love lately with making money off their ads (ahem… Quore).

I don’t believe in leveling nasty criticism, rather I think it needs to be constructive. In addition to being an awesome game all by it’s lonesome, there have been some sweet freebie costumes, as well as the great value of the MGS level pack. Please, Mm & Sony, learn from what you’ve done well and run with it!

+ saintaqua on February 5th, 2009 at 5:34 pm said:

Oh well, it’s okay. I’m certainly not mad at you or anything.
I just hope you guys make up for it with more content soon, free or not!!

+ NEJI64 on February 5th, 2009 at 5:35 pm said:

i have to say the chart is hilarious. i picture all the face of everybody who wants a give away every update.

+ Sekoku on February 5th, 2009 at 5:39 pm said:

>> Part of the reason why this content is not free is because of the amount of time and effort on Media Molecule’s part and we really do need to compensate them accordingly (it’s more than just a costume pack – there are new stickers and materials that come with it).

Yeah, because two new costume items (one of which replaces your teeth instead of adding to it), a few new materials, and stickers = $2.99

I feel slightly ripped off that I paid $2.99 for mostly a rose and a few level items. Maybe if the outfit was slightly better (like the Chun-Li outfit I bought as well) I wouldn’t feel so bad about my wasted $2.99

If MM is going to get compensation for some stickers and two items, it should at least be $.99 to $1.99 I want more costumes and/or stickers that aren’t going to be about 12 stickers 4 materials and 2 costume items for $2.99 That’s the going price for Sony/Third party characters.

Don’t half-butt the content and price gouge, is what I’m trying to say. MGS Level pack was worth the $5.99 since we got 4 new levels + costume + level creation items in a huge pack. Size >= value.

+ DeadAces on February 5th, 2009 at 5:48 pm said:

Great update. This has been one of the best weeks in my opinion. I’ll be sure to check out those new LBP stuff.

+ MethodicBR on February 5th, 2009 at 5:51 pm said:

Don’t worry, LBP is amazing with or without free add-on. Everyone makes mistakes :D

+ TobyRimbaud on February 5th, 2009 at 6:11 pm said:

I think that LPB is easily one of the best made games of 2008… however, I think $3 is a HUGE rip-off. I don’t mind that it was mistakenly reported to be free… that kind of stuff happens. But these seasonal add-ons simply aren’t worth that kind of money. Thanks, but no thanks.

+ jazzyrider on February 5th, 2009 at 6:20 pm said:

huge sackboy slap! and me and my gf were looking forward to a free valentine’s day gift!

+ bayouboyz on February 5th, 2009 at 6:28 pm said:

Are you still working on an update that lets you import your pictures from your hard drive into little big planet?

+ bob52 on February 5th, 2009 at 6:47 pm said:

Mistackes happen,but Sackboy Slap anyway

+ bob52 on February 5th, 2009 at 6:48 pm said:

mistakes* there needs to be an edit button

+ beenii on February 5th, 2009 at 7:16 pm said:

it’s just a shame to make us pay for something like costumes!!!!!! but what u should be really ashamed of is the lack of european PSN-cards!!! so i’m not able of getting the MGS-levelpack t_t (and with me many others are). thank god i dont give “something” on costumes, but what i do mind are the horrible serverissues —> lag all over despite of having a real good connection.

+ slicecom on February 5th, 2009 at 7:21 pm said:

No worries guys. If you want to make it up to me, please convince Capcom to stop giving us inferior ports of 360 games! BOYCOTT RE:5!!!

+ terry6v on February 5th, 2009 at 7:22 pm said:

@104

I would agree with that stance if they corrected it yesterday or the day before, etc. not minutes before the store update TODAY. Besides like I said I’ve gotten better add-on material from other developers (ahem, Criterion) for nothing. I love paying 60 bucks for a game that still doesn’t play great online and then have to pay for little things that add maybe 5 more minutes to the playlife of it. Just my .02 that’s all.

+ terry6v on February 5th, 2009 at 7:30 pm said:

OH YES, now I remember why this upsets me so much. Anyone who remembers like I do can go back to the November 18 blog post and here’s the quote:

“You may have remembered us mentioning, that we will be giving away a FREE LBP downloadable costume once a week.”

I know I haven’t seen a free LBP downloadable costume every week. go ahead check it out. if it sudenly disappears I have screenshots.

+ yosoylindo445 on February 5th, 2009 at 7:39 pm said:

is a good news but should be free cause we are in the month of valentine days.

+ beenii on February 5th, 2009 at 7:47 pm said:

thanks to “terry6v” showing us this ripoff. its because of users like u who pay attention that noobs like me know the truth!!!

+ coastermaniac on February 5th, 2009 at 8:05 pm said:

$2.99 is kind of steep, but you definitely get major props for owning up to the mistake like this.

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on February 5th, 2009 at 8:07 pm said:

Hi, LOVE the game. I mean absolutely Love it as it steals socom time away. was wondering if you plan to put the island of Newfoundland on the globe, it’s pretty big to not be there,. One third the size of Africa. Please, it would mean so much to me and My little big world.

+ coastermaniac on February 5th, 2009 at 8:14 pm said:

@terry6v

are you really that [DELETED] idiotic???

please tell me you aren’t because if you’d actually take the time to read the [DELETED] original post ( http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/30/available-116-official-lbp-dlc-on-the-playstation-store/ ) it is crystal clear, as in no question whatsoever that he was talking about holiday ’08. Even read just the first [DELETED] paragraph for crying out loud: “near future

morons…

+ spleendingo on February 5th, 2009 at 8:25 pm said:

I’m glad to see most of you taking this so well. What concerns me are the few of you who are using terms like “bait and switch” and “false advertising”.

SACK SLAP YOU! If it’s really the end of your life because you can’t get a free heart themed costume for your sackperson, then it’s time to crawl out of your parent’s basement and get. a. life.

Really, what is there to complain about? LBP is one of the best games I’ve played on any system in a long time! The original levels are awesome, and I have been AMAZED at some of the user created ones! Yes, you bought the game. Turned over some your (moms) hard earned cash. And because MM had the foresight to let people like me and you create our own levels, you can literally play a new game every DAY! I look forward to this every DAY.

They made a mistake. They admitted they made a mistake. Now everyone quit acting like Judge Judy and just go play!

Sorry. I feel better now.

Thanks for the info and sorry for all the grief on here.

+ gtagod on February 5th, 2009 at 8:38 pm said:

hmm must be nice. If only I could play it. My PS3 won’t read discs. I’m pissed off. AND $160 TO FIX!?!? That’s just crazy….

+ terry6v on February 5th, 2009 at 8:41 pm said:

I guess when they say what they’re going to do and don’t do it as in a free item every week it’s not false advertising. And my two kids are ones that I have to tell that it’s not free now. Sorry but if I want to put that much money into a game over time, I’d just buy rock band two more times. thanks for being Sony’s customer service agent though. kthxbai.

+ Ikki_Fenix on February 5th, 2009 at 8:42 pm said:

Everyone makes mistakes

“And everybody hurts and everybody cries…. Sometimes”

+ terry6v on February 5th, 2009 at 8:42 pm said:

Can’t wait til’ they charge for system updates.

+ terry6v on February 5th, 2009 at 8:51 pm said:

You know people read these blogs before they buy games and see things like promises of free content and that influences our purchasing decisions on games we may otherwise pass on.
The Valentines deal is a given. It was an error. The fact remains that they indeed did promise free costumes every week, so in effect it should have been free to begin with, like the thanksgiving and santa suits. Don’t fool me for a minute, half these “defenders” wouldn’t hesitate for a second to scream murder if some wager screwed their value meal for lunch.

+ warlock7 on February 5th, 2009 at 9:19 pm said:

Most companies would be expected to live with their mistakes. You guys should be giving it away since your representative here decided to tell us a lie…

I’m really quite disappointed in Sony for not standing behind what they offer.

Besides which a pair of sunglasses and a rose in the mouth certainly aren’t worth $3!!!

+ Crizz on February 5th, 2009 at 10:06 pm said:

Eh, life goes on. Just please keep us update on that ff7 pack! I’m soo ready for it!

+ iaint21 on February 5th, 2009 at 10:30 pm said:

*gathers sisters and brother and we all do a mega sack slap*

Lol. figured it was needed. its okay i bought it anyways, i’ll just get a new card to ger the wipeout costumes and the killzone one too. i splurdge and got me crash bandicoop, to brokg back the old days when it was fun. and then i went back to my portal level. the heart was perfect for a companion cube!

+ Ivan_Krazy on February 5th, 2009 at 10:42 pm said:

Well I thought Valentines Day was about LOVE and not money…. oh well I am sick of buying everything LBP ($3 bucks here and there and here, aaarrrgghhhh). Thank you but no thank you :(

+ EyeAmmMcLovin on February 5th, 2009 at 10:51 pm said:

I will forgive you if Sony will release a freaking Ratchet costume!!!!

+ The1stMJC on February 5th, 2009 at 11:51 pm said:

Did you guys fix that terrible white screen problem?
I haven’t played LBP in almost 2 months because every time I play online levels it freezes to a white screen. I really love this game and so does my family but that issue is really hurting me on this game and other friends that have had this problem.

+ Locster60 on February 6th, 2009 at 12:01 am said:

Free online, more free content than the competition ,PS3 console worth allot more than what I paid for it.
2.99 for costumes, stickers, and materials.
Hmmmm ok im in. Thanks for the other free costumes you have given us before. Hope my 2.99 goes towards future updates and more packs.