Spider-Man PS4

Feb 06

Feb 06

UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves – New Details and Coverage Roundup

Arne Meyer's Avatar Posted by Director of Communications, Naughty Dog

Earlier this week we hosted a small, dare I say, intimate, media event here at the Naughty Dog studios to show a few more journalists what we’ve done so far on UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves and where we are planning on taking it by the time our game is released later this year. This is only the third group of press who has seen our game in action since we first offered a sneak peek only a few months ago. This group of guests included writers from 1UP, G4, GameSpot, GameSpy, GameTrailers, IGN, Joystiq, Kotaku, and UGO.

Uncharted 2 Among Thieves screenshot - Drake Enemy Interior

The very full day for our guests started off with getting them up to speed on UNCHARTED 2, covering background info on story, gameplay and technology such as:

• The historical mystery surrounding Marco Polo and his lost fleet, which serves as the foundation for our story.
  • What’s happened to Drake, since it’s pretty obvious he’s a bit scruffier, down on his luck and he’s definitely running with way shadier people than before.
  • Introducing everyone to Chloe Frazer, a sexy and impulsive Australian who is just this side of unpredictable and dangerous, not to mention Drake’s new partner and romantic interest – can you blame him?
  • Adding in what we’re calling “action-stealth” to give you the choice to go in guns blazing or take out a few adversaries unnoticed before engaging the rest of them.
  • Blending together our climbing and shooting into what we call “traversal gunplay” so you can now be in gun combat in the middle of climbing, swinging on a rope, hanging from a ledge or sign…you can shoot pretty much from anywhere, anytime you want.
  • All the cool things the Naughty Dog Engine 2.0 can do now, like pushing way more polygons than before, an overhaul of lighting and shadowing, complex enemy A.I., snow shaders and subsurface scattering, fur shading, new physics engine, audio obstruction occlusion…the list goes on and on and on.

And that’s just scratching the surface of it all.

After all that, we gave our guests a gameplay demo that was followed with a cut scene introducing Chloe, all of which takes place in a fictional war-torn city in Nepal. We also gave everyone who came to our studio something no one else has witnessed yet – playing back our Spike Video Game Awards trailer in real-time entirely within our engine.

Check out all the links below to see firsthand accounts and impressions from all of the online sites who came to our studio to see UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves. We also captured a new screenshot that we wanted to share just with you.

We’re really excited to show as much of our game as possible. It’s going to be hard to hold back so we don’t give it all away, but I would definitely expect lots more info, screens and, yes, even video of gameplay, to come as we quickly approach our Fall 2009 release date.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 5

Ftwrthtx said:

February 6th, 10:04 am

When is the actual release date?

This is my most anticipated release for 2009.

PACMAN_07 said:

February 6th, 10:06 am

cool cant wait

ARTAN1S said:

February 6th, 10:08 am

Games looking great guys, keep it up. Can’t wait for this one, I absolutely loved the first one. <3

Jamesabeth said:

February 6th, 10:09 am

Looking awesome. This & InFamous will keep me going into 2009.

Keep the updates coming guys!

Reigncloud777 said:

February 6th, 10:09 am

Day one buy without a doubt..and word on when a demo will be available?

CHONPIRIN said:

February 6th, 10:10 am

cant wait
Killzone 2
God of War 3
Uncharted 2
All i need for 2009

Spyroluver88 said:

February 6th, 10:10 am

I loved the first game and this one is definately on my most wanted list for this year.

WestSiide said:

February 6th, 10:10 am

first day purchase!

KUSHman666 said:

February 6th, 10:11 am

awesome loved the first but was just too short. hopefully this game will have 30+ chapters :-D

jbullfrog23 said:

February 6th, 10:12 am

Looks better and better every time you release more information. Definitely a must buy.

supersirloin said:

February 6th, 10:13 am

This looks amazing. I borrowed and beat the first game in a day, I couldn’t stop playing. This is definitely a day one for me.

jipmg said:

February 6th, 10:13 am

I just want some gameplay footage lol

lakaiHIGH said:

February 6th, 10:15 am

i read kotaku’s post on this the other day and you guys seemed to impress them. anything related to sony is usually bashed on that website so i find it as a breath of fresh air that you guys were actually able to accomplish this feat. i cannot wait for uncharted 2, i absolutely fell in love with the first one and without a doubt in my mind am convinced that the second will outdo the first in every way possible! is that possible?

question – i remember when you guys first came on here to talk uncharted 1 and were saying you had barely tapped the potential of the ps3’s power… how much more horsepower were you guys able to draw from the PS3 for the second? i know you’re far from finished so hopefully it’ll only look better and better come october.

peace,
Lh

Arne Meyer's Avatar

Arne Meyer said:

February 6th, 11:15 am

With Uncharted 2 we\’re definitely pushing the PS3 hardware far more than we did before. A lot of this is due to our programmers really working hard to optimize engine and take full advantage of the SPU processors. Our Co-President Evan Wells likes to describe how making efficient use of the SPUs is like spinning plates – with Uncharted: Drake\’s Fortune we were only able to keep a few of the plates spinning most of the time. We\’ve gotten to the point with Uncharted 2 that our code keeps all of the plates spinning all of the time with all of our engine tasks – lighting and shadowing, animations, physics, shaders… you name it.

usjvc said:

February 6th, 10:15 am

I truly cannot wait for this title. It unquestionably is my most awaited game after Heavy Rain. I however have a not-so off-topic question to you guys at Naughty Dog:

Could you guys please eventually work and release on the Playstation Network Crash Team Racing HD? In other terms, a complete remake of the original CTR all in HD and with of course online play.

Thank you, i hope you will take the time to read and answer my post.

Good day.

Arne Meyer's Avatar

Arne Meyer said:

February 6th, 11:49 am

It\’s always great to hear from fans of Crash from the Naughty Dog days, however the Crash Bandicoot franchise belongs to another publisher right now. You\’ll have to ask them about a remake.

TL2 said:

February 6th, 10:16 am

All this new media has me so hyped i had to start up the game again to finally do my crushing run and finish up my trophies, Uncharted is still one of the greatest games this generation and I can’t wait for Among Thieves. By the way I’m still waiting for that Uncharted LBP pack with the Nathan Drake half tuck Sackboy

hyedrummer83 said:

February 6th, 10:16 am

Any potential multiplayer coming to Uncharted 2 this time around?

Ramage said:

February 6th, 10:16 am

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t drake missing his ring necklace? This guy looks more like drake’s evil twin.

Def gonna get this game though, you don’t even need to tell me about it, just put it on the shelf.

hayes76 said:

February 6th, 10:17 am

Anybody else think they might have an online multiplayer? I think it would be a really good idea.

brad450 said:

February 6th, 10:17 am

i wanted the reporter from the first one to return. too bad. because i find she and nate were connecting with each other towards the end there :(

PuMa said:

February 6th, 10:19 am

What an amazing 2009 this will be.

halfsane2000 said:

February 6th, 10:22 am

you guys need to stop hyping me up about this game it makes the waiting unbearable.

memberop said:

February 6th, 10:23 am

“even Olivia Munn stopped by to smooch our life-size Jak statue in the lobby.”

Jak is one lucky statue.

Vengeful-Chaos said:

February 6th, 10:23 am

Two things I need to know but wont get answered – it’s worth asking either way.

1) Release date, or even a guestimate of a month?

2) Collectors edition, please think about one.

I have absolute faith in Naughty Dog, have been a fan ever since Crash.

Craazy said:

February 6th, 10:23 am

This game wants me to touch myself in totally inappropriate ways

AdamMadman said:

February 6th, 10:24 am

Honestly, “Impressions” mean absolutely nothing in this day and age. We need to see footage so we can judge for ourselves how the game is shaping up. If theres one things sites like IGN teach us, its that no amount of immaculate praise for a game (without a sign of discontentment either) can save it from bad reviews as these people who “preview” the game and give impressions seem to leave out the majority of details we actually want.

Give me a trailer. Impressions mean nothing.

joostin said:

February 6th, 10:24 am

Shibby!

Uncharted is the most next-gen game I have played to date. Can’t wait for this baby!

ChainClutch said:

February 6th, 10:25 am

This is a day one purchase for me regardless of reviews, I loved the first one! so cannot wait for this one, I prey that it makes its release date by end of this year and not pushed to 2010. As for God Of War 3, that’ll most likely come out around March 2010.

Enthalpy said:

February 6th, 10:25 am

Uncharted is one of my favorite games, the sequel is looking even better!

Zookey said:

February 6th, 10:27 am

Will Elena and Sully be talked about at all in this new game?

sam_i_jam said:

February 6th, 10:29 am

You have my money in Fall 2009.

Uncharted was fantastic. Seriously.

Vagrant_1 said:

February 6th, 10:31 am

Can’t wait for Uncharted 2. The first one is my favorite game on ps3

Carnivius_Prime said:

February 6th, 10:35 am

This is easily my most wanted game. Uncharted was one of the games that came with my PS3 when I bought it a couple months ago and I just fell in love with it straight away and knew I’d made the right choice buying this console. Great gameplay, gorgeous graphics, involving story, excellent movement and control, actually very likable characters with very well done voice acting and I’ve enjoyed playing every minute of it. Thanks also for adding trophy support in it.

I feel like already handing my money over for this one. Naughty Dog never disappoint.

I also agree with wanting Uncharted LittleBigPlanet stuff.

Cannot wait for this game.

TerryVSL said:

February 6th, 10:36 am

Day 1 purchase.

Uncharted was absolutely amazing. First game where it really felt like you were playing a Hollywood action movie in real life. Nathan Drake is one of the greatest characters ever in gaming. Hope to see many more games to come from the series.

yostane said:

February 6th, 10:37 am

I loved uncharted 1. Keep on the same spirit

womfalcs3 said:

February 6th, 10:37 am

My most anticipated game of the year.

Uncharted is the only game this generation that returned the fun I used to have playing Nintendo games as a kid back. Even the fun I had playing Crash Bandicoot when I was a child.

All other games I play are fun in the sense of competition, but this was the type of game where I had fun even if I died. I felt really calm playing it with a smile on my face.

Seiven said:

February 6th, 10:42 am

cannot wait for this…playing through Uncharted my third time already…I am sure I will go through a 4th before the release of Among Thieves.

VLADIULNIK said:

February 6th, 10:45 am

Uncharted is my MOST favourite new IP from Naughty Dog. No game currently on the market is so cinematic as Uncharted. Big Love ND!

TheHater2 said:

February 6th, 10:47 am

Uncharted is currently my second favorite game behind MGS4 this generation and I must say, it will be going down the list when this game come out. Everything I seen, read, and listen too for Uncharted 2 point to be being a lot better game than the original. And the original was one hell a game and is the most underrated game this generation.
Hope there will be a demo of this game so I can sink my teeth into it.

djtortilla said:

February 6th, 10:48 am

awesome!

you really need to add multiplayer though!

NoLaws said:

February 6th, 10:51 am

Co-Op multiplayer!!

1st day purchase for me whatever

TheInfectedBy590 said:

February 6th, 10:52 am

Nice, can’t wait for this one! :)

acerazer1 said:

February 6th, 10:53 am

From what I can tell right now, this game has little or nothing to do with the first one, so why not just call it Uncharted: Among Thieves?

HaVoK_08 said:

February 6th, 10:55 am

From the looks of it, U:2 will be a GOTY contender for sure. The first Uncharted caught my by surprise to be honest, i was only looking for a decent game to play but was smacked across the head with what is still one of my favorite games for the ps3. Adventure, beautiful scenery, awesome action sequences, i have a feeling there is still much Naughty dog has yet to reveal for U:2 :) you guys have a come a long way since Way of the warrior!! (yea i had that game too!) Collector’s edition? maybe? either way this game will be mine:)

badboodah77 said:

February 6th, 11:00 am

Awesome! Can’t wait to get my hands on it!

Bloody_Marcel said:

February 6th, 11:02 am

Fix that wallpaper texture behind Drake!

:P

StealthCorazon said:

February 6th, 11:03 am

oh man oh mam oh man….can’t wait!

Andrefpvs said:

February 6th, 11:04 am

Damn, you just spoiled that Elena was ditched or ditched Drake, Arne :(

Yeah, I’m quite a fan of the original’s story,so make sure you deliver again on that area ;)

Oh, I have a special request! Could you please “pressure” Sony Computer Entertainment Portugal to bring the same voice actors from the first game of the Portuguese version? They were really good, I dare say as good as the English ones. In my like 5 playthroughs of the original Uncharted, I’d actively switch from both languages.

Keep up the good work ND!

Arne Meyer's Avatar

Arne Meyer said:

February 6th, 11:13 am

I\’m sure those voice actors would be glad to know they have a fan! What I can do is pass your request along to SCEE for their consideration. Cross your fingers!

IronChefWong said:

February 6th, 11:05 am

Just replayed Uncharted for trophies after beating it when it first came out.

Earned my first platinum trophy! This and MGS4 are my favorite PS3 games. I can’t wait for Uncharted 2.

Mattchewie said:

February 6th, 11:05 am

i <3 you Naughty Dog, if you ever need a sys amin, just say the word and I’m there :P

hehe

Andrefpvs said:

February 6th, 11:06 am

“In my like 5 playthroughs of the original Uncharted, I’d actively switch from both languages.”

I meant “from one language to the other”. Where’s the Edit Button?

PAGE 1 2 3 5