PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Flower Out On PSN This Week, Go Behind The Scenes Now

Kellee Santiago's Avatar + Posted by Kellee Santiago on Feb 09, 2009 // President and co-founder of thatgamecompany

Hello PlayStation blogees! We here at thatgamecompany are so stoked that this week “Flower” will be out of our hands and into yours. A lot of people ask us what it’s been like to work with Sony, so you may have heard us answer this before – working with Sony is a treat. They truly support their developers and their games from start to finish.

I wanted to mention this as a way to introduce to you this developer diary, where SCEA’s Eric Koch and I talk about the ideas behind Flower, and show you how the gameplay works. We hope you enjoy it!

+ OneFate on February 9th, 2009 at 3:50 pm said:

Is that wire-frame look actually in the game? Or is it just showing the process in making the game? Because, to tell you the truth, the wire-frame look is actually really cool looking. Hopefully its in the game as a different mode or something, that would be awesome.

Kellee Santiago's Avatar

+ Kellee Santiago on February 10th, 2009 at 4:10 pm said:

Hah! The wire frames are just the debug mode, and not in-game. I agree,though – I love seeing it like that. If you like that style, definitely check out Rez!

+ THEbenwade on February 9th, 2009 at 3:57 pm said:

is there a price point set for flower yet? i cant seem to find one anywhere online

+ serendipiddy on February 9th, 2009 at 3:58 pm said:

can’t wait till friday!! (we a day ahead..)

lol @ #36, it’s great to see more women in the gaming arena!

+ thefjk on February 9th, 2009 at 4:02 pm said:

Thursday is so far away!

I hope the SIXAXIS controls don’t irritate me though, I like this new type of experience but frankly, the analog stick would be just as good I think!

+ coppi6976 on February 9th, 2009 at 4:04 pm said:

Great video (more of this stuff on the blog.) I cant wait for this game buying it as soon as the store is updated on thursday.

+ jrivera0108 on February 9th, 2009 at 4:05 pm said:

i’ve been waiting for this game and fat princess like 50. it’ll be a nice to play something like this before getting into kz2 and re5… def gonna dl this on day 1.

+ AgentX on February 9th, 2009 at 4:07 pm said:

I enjoyed the video, and I look forward to getting this game as soon as it’s available!

+ plaztiksyke on February 9th, 2009 at 4:17 pm said:

First day purchase, for me. I loved flOw, Everyday Shooter, and Linger in Shadows. (I think people who didn’t like Linger didn’t really try exploring and getting the trophies.)

I would really love to see these games get lossless audio. Using MP3 or AAC when every PS3 has DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, and ATRAC Lossless decoding built-in is a total waste of the system’s capabilities (and value proposition), in my opinion.

I’m hoping Sony picks up more innovative games from IGF for distribution on PSN again this year. (Maybe some M-rated ones!) This is the core value proposition of the system for me, most other things are secondary.

Keep up the good work!

+ JKC31 on February 9th, 2009 at 4:23 pm said:

Watch out the Peculiar Purple Pieman
of Porcupine Peak.

+ wwe14fan on February 9th, 2009 at 4:24 pm said:

I will probably buy this when it comes out and it seems like a game that can help if your angry or tense.

Keep up the good work!

+ Anddo on February 9th, 2009 at 4:25 pm said:

Looks awesome, will purchase on Thursday :)

+ Destiny89 on February 9th, 2009 at 4:30 pm said:

this is a must buy for me .. that’s the kind of games i like

+ Carl-G on February 9th, 2009 at 4:39 pm said:

Cool;) Is it out world-wide tho this Thursday?

+ crazypeng1 on February 9th, 2009 at 4:44 pm said:

Sony, honestly, i think the visuals are great and everything, but i don’t see why i should buy this unless there’s a demo. remember loco roco? brand new idea, and i wouldn’t have bought it from watching vids, but when the demo came out everyone was dying to have it. do the right thing sony and release a demo for this game if you want it to sell.

+ badboodah77 on February 9th, 2009 at 4:45 pm said:

@58,

Don’t know about you, but most games on the PS3 give me LPCM output. Some games are in DD or DTS.

The PS3 can’t bitstream DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD, and even if it did there would be no reason to encode the audio like that just for the receiver to decode it, when it can already do LPCM. For BDs the PS3 already decodes the hi-res audio formats and outputs LPCM over HDMI.

And I have no idea where you are getting AAC or MP3 for game soundtracks…

+ KloudStryfe on February 9th, 2009 at 4:48 pm said:

Nice to hear, but is there a release date on Fat Princess yet? I’m more interested in that PSN game.

+ EVanHelsing on February 9th, 2009 at 4:49 pm said:

I intend on buying Flower this Thursday. It looks beautiful.

As for “Linger In Shadows”, I didn’t like it so much. As an experience, it was too constrained. As a graphics demo, it had too many jaggies and such.

I like what Sony is trying to do, but I’d prefer that they create something a bit more like ’90s demo-scene warez, and less like a pretentious ’90s ray-trace video!

+ twooh on February 9th, 2009 at 4:51 pm said:

I’m gonna buy this on thursday.

+ jipmg on February 9th, 2009 at 5:06 pm said:

expect me to purchase immediately, I go for innovation.

+ saintaqua on February 9th, 2009 at 5:12 pm said:

Oh my gosh! Finally! I’m so excited, thanks so much for the news Kellee!! Also, thanks again for curing me of my fear of Janice!

Kellee Santiago's Avatar

+ Kellee Santiago on February 10th, 2009 at 4:13 pm said:

What?!? Janice is like….totally cool, man.

+ meep_moop_meep on February 9th, 2009 at 5:27 pm said:

hurry up Thursday
so i can get this game.

+ Ehahneli-13 on February 9th, 2009 at 5:32 pm said:

Absolutely gorgeous. Can’t wait till Thursday.

+ Axonn on February 9th, 2009 at 5:33 pm said:

At last what I’m waiting for! True sequel of flOw come live! :D

+ jBat17 on February 9th, 2009 at 5:36 pm said:

this, nobynobyboy, and fat princess

+ chriscowboyd on February 9th, 2009 at 5:50 pm said:

Is this game going to support in-game access to music stored on the ps3’s hard drive?

+ CrystalX3D on February 9th, 2009 at 5:50 pm said:

I’ll probably get this. It’s stuff like this that makes me love the psn.

+ stlthriot on February 9th, 2009 at 5:59 pm said:

Will be buying this one as well on the 12th! Looks amazing and something I can play whenever I want a relaxing experience. :)

What’s the file size going to be for it? (Just curious since I’m watching the GBs go lately…)

Hopefully some extra levels/DLC for this one as time goes by! :D

Oh, and you guys need to make a visualization version of Flower for the XMB or anything similar that would be wicked to watch with the tunes.

+ Thrasher20 on February 9th, 2009 at 6:02 pm said:

Dang, I’m stunned. This game is indeed unique. You can easily understand the emotion that the game expresses, and I think that’s cool. I may have to consider in getting this game

+ stlthriot on February 9th, 2009 at 6:03 pm said:

I agree EVanHelsing (#67 post), Linger In Shadows definitely was way too constrained, I thought there would be more free movement when you went to the Linger option versus watching it as a real-time video.
Still neat but could have used a bit more, and more things that you could manipulate would have been great!

+ ChainClutch on February 9th, 2009 at 6:05 pm said:

Im passing on this title, $9.99 is too much for a title that has no reply value and is done in less then 2 hours. I remember buying flOw when it first came out, though i enjoyed it, i didnt enjoy paying what i paid for it. this title should have cost like $3.99

Kellee Santiago's Avatar

+ Kellee Santiago on February 10th, 2009 at 4:14 pm said:

We are just poor, starving developers… please help my team to afford delicious burritos for lunch. =(

+ tolkienfanatic on February 9th, 2009 at 6:07 pm said:

Definitely going to be buying this as soon as it hits the PSN servers.

+ lebron_accel on February 9th, 2009 at 6:10 pm said:

lovely,interesting and inspirational game!

+ Jeigh on February 9th, 2009 at 6:20 pm said:

And here I am with no surround sound system… I absolutely love EVERYTHING about this game- nay, ‘experience.’ Such peaceful visuals, music, sounds… You guys were entirely right at the last E3: the sound is like half of the experience, and not having it undersold the experience. I’ll gladly drop the money for the pleasure of having this.

+ Midgetguy on February 9th, 2009 at 6:30 pm said:

This was a great interview video! I really like looking at the behind the scenes type stuff…

(Really interesting that the gameplay was inspired by a bug, and I like how the story is based on a significant part of Jenova Chen’s life!)

I’ve been looking forward to “enlightening” myself by playing Flower… I feel that we need more games that just help us relax and explore… you know…

Hey, just a thought, but I think that Thatgamecompany would be BRILLIANT at making some cool things in Playstation Home… Just unique designs for clothing and Home Spaces and such… I really like Thatgamecompany’s artistic direction and their over-all style, and it would be cool to see some of that move into my favorite social gaming space.

+ foolio_67 on February 9th, 2009 at 6:49 pm said:

I’ll be picking this up.

+ RosenK87 on February 9th, 2009 at 6:52 pm said:

@77
A visual of flower during musical playback? that sounds great. add me up to that request!

+ AwRy108 on February 9th, 2009 at 7:13 pm said:

Can’t wait for this–I love the PSN Store!

+ The1stMJC on February 9th, 2009 at 7:18 pm said:

I can’t believe I can’t wait for a game called Flower and Fat Princess.

Me a couple of years ago would laughed at that statement.

+ undertaker9999 on February 9th, 2009 at 7:29 pm said:

the chick withthe pink har is hot i wanna marry her and have her babies :)

+ ATALAVERA on February 9th, 2009 at 7:31 pm said:

Can’t wait to buy Flower!

+ EViD on February 9th, 2009 at 7:34 pm said:

When does it come out in Europe?

+ mknightstalker on February 9th, 2009 at 7:55 pm said:

Looks great. Can’t wait to play it. How much is it? I didn’t see price.

+ Rhez on February 9th, 2009 at 7:59 pm said:

definitely buy for me. I’ve been wanting this game from the first time I heard about it. Glad to see it will stick with the Sixaxis control. Too few games make good use of the feature. I can only think of Flow and Folklore as games that made excellent use of the system.

I really hope Sony continues to support efforts like this. “Artistic” Games are really the hidden gems of the modern gaming industry. Flower brings to mind a short film I saw a while back called “The Delivery”. We need more games/projects like this. The surrealistic Linger in Shadows is just one example.

I’d love to see games in the vein of artists such as Dave McKean, John Jude Palencar, and Alan Lee.

Oh and btw, love the hair.

+ sNsKid on February 9th, 2009 at 8:19 pm said:

Even the music in the developer diary was serene. lol

I am definitely getting this.

+ wokeupinapanic on February 9th, 2009 at 8:23 pm said:

Ive been looking forward to this for a while, and it keeps getting more intriguing.

not necessarily in the direction i expected, but still in a way that keeps me entirely interested.

absolutely cannot wait!

+ SpiritThief on February 9th, 2009 at 8:24 pm said:

This still doesn’t look like a game tho. Its like a ride the wind sim.

Is it gonna be over in mins like Linger:(

+ Mirage749 on February 9th, 2009 at 8:25 pm said:

Flower definitely looks unique. I liked flOw a lot, so I’ll probably be purchasing this on Thursday.

+ quiomar01 on February 9th, 2009 at 8:40 pm said:

Really enjoyed flOw, and looking forward to flOwer. will you guys ever bring Could to the PSN?

+ Rayziel on February 9th, 2009 at 8:55 pm said:

1st day buy;)

+ TrueStoryGuy on February 9th, 2009 at 9:12 pm said:

I loved flOw, and I will definitely try this one out.