PS4-The Order

Flower Out On PSN This Week, Go Behind The Scenes Now

Kellee Santiago's Avatar + Posted by Kellee Santiago on Feb 09, 2009 // President and co-founder of thatgamecompany

Hello PlayStation blogees! We here at thatgamecompany are so stoked that this week “Flower” will be out of our hands and into yours. A lot of people ask us what it’s been like to work with Sony, so you may have heard us answer this before – working with Sony is a treat. They truly support their developers and their games from start to finish.

I wanted to mention this as a way to introduce to you this developer diary, where SCEA’s Eric Koch and I talk about the ideas behind Flower, and show you how the gameplay works. We hope you enjoy it!

+ gscottforthewin on February 9th, 2009 at 9:35 pm said:

The game looks incredible, I cannot wait to play it!

+ kmsrj2004 on February 9th, 2009 at 9:59 pm said:

I am very exited for this game. It seems very peaceful and nice to explore. Can’t wait till it comes out this thursday.

+ FrozoneUSMC on February 9th, 2009 at 10:26 pm said:

That Game Company is cool and has great minds there. Flow was great, simple, and to the point. Always something that you could relax to. Flower is looking like another hit :) I can’t wait!!

+ DustyBlue on February 9th, 2009 at 10:51 pm said:

So pretty… I’m definitely getting this game! Everything about seems so… Serene and peaceful…

+ Gambit07 on February 9th, 2009 at 10:59 pm said:

Finally, the game that will change the perspective of what games can be. To everyone involved with Flower, thank you.

+ btz on February 9th, 2009 at 11:27 pm said:

I would like to thank Sony for the support of those small quirky games. This is a reason why the PS3 is so much better than the competitors.

I will buy this if it does not cost too much.

Kellee Santiago's Avatar

+ Randall Lowe on February 10th, 2009 at 11:20 am said:

You\’re welcome :) And thanks for the support! Folks like yourself, everyone that has commented, and all the countless others that support these efforts make these great \”games\” possible.

+ Blkant on February 10th, 2009 at 12:47 am said:

Ive been thinking of saying it but i thought it would sound weird but whatever. I like her hair :)

+ JumpMan3 on February 10th, 2009 at 1:00 am said:

This is why I like Sony, they keep putting out new ideas while Nintendo and MS still using Mario and Halo. Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing bad about Mario/Halo games. Its just nice to see some originality in gaming.

+ alaM0000 on February 10th, 2009 at 2:25 am said:

Looks NEAT!!!!! :D

+ Fersis on February 10th, 2009 at 2:30 am said:

Day one buy for me.

+ Thrill_Kill on February 10th, 2009 at 2:58 am said:

I can’t wait for Flower to come out! I like how PSN is getting these unique games. I will get this game on day 1.

Oh and that girl in the video is sooooo cute with that pink hair! I love it!

Anyways, yeah, cool looking experience Flower will be. Hopefully Fat Princess will follow soon.

+ Letters2Kay on February 10th, 2009 at 3:05 am said:

Can’t wait to play flOwer. Thank you in advance for what will surely be an awe-inspiring experience. Looking forward to thatgamecompany’s next venture, already…

+ hvy20 on February 10th, 2009 at 7:58 am said:

This seems like a game you would play when you are high.

+ StalkingSilence on February 10th, 2009 at 7:59 am said:

Well produced video, please put this under the preview tab in the PS Store (remember that tab used for an individual item? haven’t seen it used in a while).

+ BlackWaltzGDL on February 10th, 2009 at 8:06 am said:

That game seems awesome… now let’s see if the idiots of Sony Mexico upload this game to the PSN store MX.

+ TheInfectedBy590 on February 10th, 2009 at 8:23 am said:

Beautiful! :) Can’t wait to play it!

+ Sneeches on February 10th, 2009 at 8:23 am said:

day 1 buy for me :)

+ Kung_Fu_Russ on February 10th, 2009 at 9:01 am said:

Please speak to those idiots at SCEE. They don’t tell us when games are coming out. They don’t even tell us IF games are coming out.

+ TheSorrow_101 on February 10th, 2009 at 9:10 am said:

Looks great.
Definite buy from me !

+ WhightCrow on February 10th, 2009 at 9:11 am said:

i can’t wait to get this.

+ Gumbydunzeeto on February 10th, 2009 at 9:52 am said:

It seems I have to say it every bloody time a PSN game comes out, because you haven’t learned your lesson yet.

I will buy this game when it comes out on physical media.

Not before.

Kellee Santiago's Avatar

+ Kellee Santiago on February 11th, 2009 at 12:31 pm said:

Unfortunately Blu-Ray DVDs are extremely expensive, and would cut into the much-needed burrito-eating fund. Please support indie developers by downloading your games!

+ bigdaddyjane on February 10th, 2009 at 10:03 am said:

Sounds like flower will allow you to create your own garden,something like viva pinata.

+ NeCrom-X on February 10th, 2009 at 10:13 am said:

Actually there is a point #9 you move the flower petals through other flowers and it makes the area alive and green they failed to mention that in this for some reason. I had read about it in a previous blog post.

+ NeCrom-X on February 10th, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

Gumbydunzeeto it’s never going to happen with most PSN games and you not buying them isn’t going to change anything cause there are plenty of us willing to buy them. It costs too much for these type of games to be put on disc unless your willing to pay 59.99 for a game you can get for 9.99. I think there are only 3 PSN titles you can get on disc or as a download. Burnout, SOCOM, and Warhawk. I forget if there are more.

+ WEALLLOVELUNA on February 10th, 2009 at 10:38 am said:

looks good to me, definatley a day 1 buy

+ almighty-slayer on February 10th, 2009 at 10:57 am said:

This game looks amazing. I can’t wait until the update on Thursday, so i can download it and see whbat it is like. Fl0w was the first thing i ever bought off the Playstation Store, and it is probably one of the best things i have ever bought off of it. I know i will enjoy Flower just as much as fl0w, if not more. Thank you ThatGameCompany (and Sony), for breaking away from the norm and daring to make different games. IO only help it sells a lot of copies, to reward your team for all your hard work!

Very much looking forward to Thursday, and to the next game that ThatGameCompany brings to us.

Oh, and Kellee, i love your hair.

Also, Blog Team, this kind of video content on the blog is great. Let’s see more of this! Except, maybe include more information about the actual development of the game, and less time talking about how admittedly wonderful it is.

+ almighty-slayer on February 10th, 2009 at 11:00 am said:

Deary me. Sorry for all of the typos. My fingers are evidently faster than my brain.

+ wizeguy22 on February 10th, 2009 at 12:12 pm said:

cant wait to play this, been looking forward to a new game from That Game Company since i played Flow

+ RuxR7 on February 10th, 2009 at 2:38 pm said:

Just hope they do not overcharge for it. Prices in Playstation Network used to be fair, but lately the prices got quite high. Think flOw’s price was quite fair. Hope Flower keep this “feature” :)

+ b0n3z_420 on February 10th, 2009 at 2:57 pm said:

I will probably purchase this because of the creativity that went into it.

Now if we could expand on this idea and see some more visualizations for the music player, I would be very pleased. Heck I am sure more people would pay a small fee for some awesome visualizations, rather than on themes.

+ tojeka on February 10th, 2009 at 3:00 pm said:

I would buy it but i have no credit card, and there is no alternative way to pay such as paypal. Because of this i did never buy anything at the PSN, same for all my friends. In Europe its not as simple to get a credit card as it is in the US. Sony, if you want us to buy from the PSN accept PayPal or finally bring out these Network Cards!!

+ supersaiyan500 on February 10th, 2009 at 3:18 pm said:

This game is extremely positive. All game companies should make positive and emotional games just like these guys did. This is a MUST- BUY 4 everyone!!!!

+ Novalux on February 10th, 2009 at 4:19 pm said:

Looks very interesting. I liked Fl0w a lot, I’d like to try this one. Hopefully there’s a demo…

+ YGZ-GrayFox on February 10th, 2009 at 10:36 pm said:

woah! AMAZING! great job! keep it up! and we can’t wait for thursday!

+ Squall2600 on February 11th, 2009 at 6:47 am said:

Epic Awesomeness!!!
Can’t wait for it to come out.
I better got get a PSN store Card

+ Onna76_NL on February 11th, 2009 at 8:39 am said:

Its nice to see that females are so active in the game industry, probably more than gamers on the PS3 for example :-?

I also support Indie games, the more original, the better and Flower looks like one of those original concepts of which make you think, how in earth did you come up with it?! IGN and former PS3fanboy (now part of Joystiq) were so enthusiastic about the game and only by reading their comments makes the desire of this game only bigger. Luckily only 1 day to go before it releases :-)

+ Fallen_Guardian on February 11th, 2009 at 8:43 am said:

I dont think some people understand the emotional and peaceful experience Flower will bring, when its released this thursday.

I for one cant wait to play this ‘experience’. 10 bucks is a perfect price for this game and ill gladly pay it (especially since it helps you get burritos for lunch ;)

As for the three game deal thing, i do hope you guys (and gals) keep making more games for PSN, because i really enjoy fl0w (and soon Flower) and would love to play more of your games. If you guys went XBL exclusive with some of your games, i’d even be forced to buy a 360 just for them.

Keep up the amazing and creative ideas for future titles and please remake Cloud for PSN!

+ badboodah77 on February 11th, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

@136,

The video talks about where the concept for Flower comes from – starting at 1:17.

+ todwurst on February 11th, 2009 at 5:11 pm said:

Sweet! Most people I show Flow to really like the design and pace of it. Even the people that don’t find it fun to play like looking at it.
Flower looks like it has that laid back, do-it-at-your-own-pace feel to it. Very pretty too :)

+ Onna76_NL on February 12th, 2009 at 5:27 am said:

@138 you don’t get my point, by only looking at the game makes you that wonder. If you look at a FPS game with a scene from like a 2nd world war, you don’t even have to ask a designer where they got their inspiration from.

Anyway, I’m downloading Flower now, probably as one of the first ones :)

+ HellFast on February 12th, 2009 at 7:30 am said:

Really good stuff, keep ‘em coming!

+ el_chivo1984 on February 12th, 2009 at 9:55 pm said:

I’ve been reading great things about his on the neogaf forums. And this video has convinced me to try this game out.

+ neoblu22 on February 13th, 2009 at 6:20 pm said:

Flower, simply put, is an amazing journey.
I use the word journey, rather than game, because that is how it felt as I was moving through the different levels.

The journey of the music and how one has the ability to enhance this (like the conductor of an orchestra) depending on how quickly one engages the flowers that resonate different tones as you collect their petals.

The journey of fluid and uninhibited motion
as one glides along the grass, soars up to heights way above the horizon, and rushes or, if you prefer drifts, back down to earth. All without the mental distraction of complicated button pushing.

The visual journey as one travels thru the un-obscured open plains in the first level, to the final level where one finds a cluttered dilapidated inner city that must be restored to its former greatness and the balance with nature restored.

And finally, the internalized emotional journey that is provoked as one experiences all the above.

Does this all sound a little to Zen…Perhaps
But in a time when the pace of life and the uncertainty in the economy is causing so much stress in people’s lives, who couldn’t use a little peaceful ZEN balance.

+ neoblu22 on February 13th, 2009 at 6:21 pm said:

Hats off to That Game Company and the developers that made their vision of this Journey a reality.

If I had one wish, it would be that a feature be added that allpws one to record segments a Journey for later play back.

+ Broly420 on February 14th, 2009 at 1:39 pm said:

I love it! The extraordinary graphics, the calming music and amazing visuals all put together make a spectacular game. Maybe my current emotional state(I hate valentines day) had something to do with it but the game literaly brought tears to my eyes when I first played it.

+ Sakimori_X on February 14th, 2009 at 1:55 pm said:

Finally got a chance to sit down with this and I’ve absolutely fallen in love with Flower. The music, the visuals, the themes for each level. Wow. Great job, guys!

+ lanod on February 14th, 2009 at 2:00 pm said:

I bought it last night 7,99€

As Flow or Pixel Junk Eden. I really like this kind of game. I want another.

Thank you very much Santa Monica Studios and Sony. This is another reason why PS3 is the best hardware nowdays.

+ Aquario on February 14th, 2009 at 3:20 pm said:

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!
PLAYED IT AND STILL AT IT.

+ MidnightBlues on February 15th, 2009 at 9:06 am said:

Its exactly what I thought it was going to be!!!

TOTALLY GAY! I regret my purchase….

+ pegglefrank on February 16th, 2009 at 12:50 am said:

Programming over 30 years –

just thank you

I didn’t even launch it yet with my 8 yr old – wasn’t a question of getting it –

Thankyou – wonderful breakthrough in ergonimics – I’ve been looking for what you’ve done here – I can’t tell you how long –

THANKYOU for a NEW paradigm -

you’re leaving the old paradigm of western materialistic consumerism in the dust of the wind.