PS4-Watch_Dogs

God of War III! Press Event Q&A and New Trailer

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Feb 13, 2009 // Sr. Social Media Manager

God of War III is “D-Day + Cloverfield with Kratos smack dab in the middle of it” – Stig Asmussen, Game Director.

Earlier this week, over 50 media outlets from North America and Europe saw God of War III, the “epic finale” to Kratos’ tale of revenge, played before their very eyes for the first time. The game’s director, Stig Asmussen, led off the session by sharing some key features of the game: Titan gameplay, Ride-able enemy characters, a new weapon system, large-scale battle. All of these were demonstrated in this extended trailer, which was shown next:

To further drive home that this trailer was produced in the game’s engine, the audience was treated to nearly 20 minutes of gameplay (which you’ll be reading about all over the internet today, no doubt). After the gameplay demonstration, Stig took questions from the press. Here they are (paraphrased – I can only type so fast!):

Gamespot: How will you catch people up to the story?

Stig: One of the criteria of the game is to “bridge the series.” Some recent games were confusing if you missed certain chapters in the story. I don’t want that to happen with God of War III.

Game Revolution: Has the ESRB gone too far?

Stig: People have to stop looking at games like they’re a toy. There are a lot of mature games and a lot of mature gamers. We look at these like movies. I’m a husband with 2 baby twins, and we’re not making this game for them, we’re making it for people like you. Everything we do is in the character of Kratos. We’re not doing gore just to do gore.

Gamepro: I didn’t see red experience orbs coming off enemies, is it just too early to show?

Stig: It’s just too early to show, expect all that to come back.

UGO: You mentioned this will be the “epic finale.” Is this the final God of War?

Stig: I don’t know about the future of God of War, I’m just focused on God of War III.

Stig: For the most part in God of War games, we’ve never made people watch very long movies. Don’t expect God of War III to change that. As far as loading, it’s something we take pride in. We’re a streaming game, we don’t have load times.

G4: Are you going to strip down Kratos’ abilities in the beginning of the game again?

Stig: As a gamer, I’d like to start with everything Kratos has. But as a game designer, it’s not good for gamers who have never played before. We’re still deciding.

IGN: Large-scale puzzle sequences could get people lost because of the scale of the game. How do you keep people focused?

Stig: I’ve never seen anyone else work on this kind of scale. Because of that, we don’t have anything to refer to. We don’t plan on something where you go to a marker and get a hint. We want to design it so that it has a flow, and we won’t have to drop hints. We also do extensive playtesting. Working on these Titans is tough. When we first started we realized we’re doing something we’ve never done before. When you’re on these titans, it doesn’t change how Kratos handles –he can still pull cranks and ride Cyclopes and fight bosses.

G4: When you’re on the titan, how does his movement affect gameplay. Will that affect gameplay?

Stig: Perhaps. [laughter]

Now I know you readers had plenty of questions for the God of War team. I spoke with a number of the dev team, and am currently editing those together for you to see on the Blog next week!

273 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 6

+ Emiel on February 13th, 2009 at 9:44 am said:

Well it looks great, but most important will be the story.

+ HeavyD-Love on February 13th, 2009 at 9:44 am said:

After playing GOW1 & 2, I have no doubt this game is going to be awesome.

However, I surprisingly have to say that I’m not that impressed with what they’ve been showing thus far…

+ HeavyD-Love on February 13th, 2009 at 9:44 am said:

After playing GOW1 & 2, I have no doubt this game is going to be awesome.

+ The_Apprentice on February 13th, 2009 at 9:44 am said:

That ending sequence of the trailer was really epic…

And I’m glad I can play this without previous experience of the story.

+ erico316ecw on February 13th, 2009 at 9:48 am said:

cannt wait

+ rothbart on February 13th, 2009 at 9:48 am said:

Wow, I’m glad we finally get to see some of what people were dropping hints to. That looks like a blast! I’m also happy to read some of the Q&A stuff (no loading screens? w00t!) Can’t wait… 2010 can’t come soon enough!

+ SpiritThief on February 13th, 2009 at 9:49 am said:

My pants exploded

+ iExile on February 13th, 2009 at 9:50 am said:

Unbelievable. Just… *Crying* Oh my god.

+ AmericanNinja1 on February 13th, 2009 at 9:50 am said:

AWESOME! stuff! Cant wait! 2008 year of the PS3 continues into 2009! :)

+ TheGuardianFID on February 13th, 2009 at 9:50 am said:

WOW, JUST FREAKING WOW, THAT WAS FREAKING AMAZING AND IT’S IN GAME DUDE, DAAAAMMMMNNN!!! I LOVE THIS SERIES, I HAVE ALL 3 GAMES, NUMBER 4 IS AS GOOD AS SOLD!!! :D

+ nefertis24 on February 13th, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

freaking beautiful man I can’t wait, in the end there will be war.

+ btz on February 13th, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

Probably the coolest video I have ever seen!

+ EliteF50 on February 13th, 2009 at 9:52 am said:

Wow, Sony Santa Monica really proved me and many other wrong.

When they showed that teaser at the VGA’s, I was really disappointed. But now I just can’t stop watching that trailer! :D

Thanks for the blog, Jeff.

+ Blkant on February 13th, 2009 at 9:54 am said:

+++A, Perfection in work!

+ SunnyBoy on February 13th, 2009 at 9:55 am said:

Im wondering if its gonna have online. I’d rather they dont and use that time and resource to make this game longer then other two.

+ wizeguy22 on February 13th, 2009 at 10:01 am said:

OK Lets be serious here … who the heck can compete with Sony’s exclusives SERIOUSLY! Sony covers all genre
ACTION – GOW3, Uncharted 2, Heavenly Sword
FPS – Resistance, Killzone
Racing – Gran Turismo
Platformer – Ratchet, Jak, Sly Cooper
RPG – White Knight, Valkyria, FF versus XIII, Disgaea, Folklore
Wierd – Locoroco, Nobi Nobi, Patapon
Puzzle – Echocrome
Party – Buzz, Singstar
Card – Eye of Judgement
Family – Little Big Planet, Eye Pet
Zen (Relaxing) – Flow, Flower
Downloadable – Most everything on PSN
MMO – Free Realms, The Agency, DC Universe
Social – HOME
PS3 has you covered on any genre.

+ Ghost_Shrimp on February 13th, 2009 at 10:01 am said:

This must have been what Jaffe was talking about… Wow that was awesome.

+ pecorre on February 13th, 2009 at 10:02 am said:

My first comment on the PS Blog (but I read everyday).

All I have to say is: GAME OF THE YEAR. PERIOD.

+ GamerMoney on February 13th, 2009 at 10:04 am said:

played prequel n almost beat the 1st one…barely played it last year…was getting into it towards the end but then I had to reformat the hard drive and didn’t feel like goin through it again…really just looked like a hack n slash with guy looking for vengeance with no real story,,,but graphics on ps3 should be amazing

+ asop89 on February 13th, 2009 at 10:05 am said:

Wow! magnificent trailer! Can’t wait for it!
Are those all in-game graphics? & Is it true that its release date will be announced at E3?

+ GamerMoney on February 13th, 2009 at 10:06 am said:

agreed 65

+ asop89 on February 13th, 2009 at 10:07 am said:

Yeah i agree with post #65

+ Gringo234 on February 13th, 2009 at 10:08 am said:

Another great reason to own a PS3.

+ jedi_webslinger on February 13th, 2009 at 10:08 am said:

I really can’t wait for this game!
I hope you’ll be creative with the trophies!
I want some custom music!! For the first playthrough, I will listen to the original score which is always awesome but second playthrough, maybe if i wanted to play some metal.

+ norm01 on February 13th, 2009 at 10:09 am said:

Sony is sealing the deal this year. Killzone 2 + God of War 3 + Uncharted: Among thieves so far announced this year. If you haven’t bought a PS3 yet, what the heck are you waiting for?

+ LpSquall on February 13th, 2009 at 10:09 am said:

One word best defines what I just witnessed: Epic

+ StalkingSilence on February 13th, 2009 at 10:10 am said:

Some people’s comments are so weird about how pants-explodingly exciting this game is.

This video was smokin’ balls tonight!

+ sTeLioSco on February 13th, 2009 at 10:14 am said:

amazing game congrats sony

+ dehumanizer_666 on February 13th, 2009 at 10:14 am said:

that was AMAZING!

+ dragonclaw88 on February 13th, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

ok that blew my mind

+ Zookey on February 13th, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

Sugoi do like!

+ Grannd on February 13th, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

Wow.

It was totally believable it was ingame and I could see myself playing it right until that Titan (?) came up.
This is going to be a great game, if there is one game that won’t disappoint it has got to be this one.

Epic is the only word to describe it, and the word epic still doesn’t give it enough credit.

+ SPARDA on February 13th, 2009 at 10:17 am said:

simply AWSOME.
I read somewhere that the GOW3 release date will be announced by Sony at E3 ’09 in June. I bet since all the previous GOW games were released in the month of March, this will too. Meaning March 2010. That works for me, as long as the game is nice and polished.

Thanks for the update

SPARDA

+ RNBaran on February 13th, 2009 at 10:19 am said:

I really want to see a well thought out story. Something that just ties all the loose ends together, which you don’t find often in games, or even in movies. I think emotions add a lot to a game and feeling those emotions may add a little something something to the gameplay itself.

As for the video. It looks awesome. I like the seamless feel it portrays going from one battle to the next with no pause or breathing room.

+ EliteF50 on February 13th, 2009 at 10:19 am said:

Please tell me you guys are going to make this trailer available on PSN soon.

+ MarvelAssassin on February 13th, 2009 at 10:20 am said:

Man I love that trailer

+ lcmnick on February 13th, 2009 at 10:22 am said:

Just downloaded and watched the HD trailer…oh man it looks AMAZING!

If you think this compressed version looks good, get the HD version…

+ evildude683 on February 13th, 2009 at 10:23 am said:

@84
I hope they do cause I wanna see it in 1080p, I mean I wanna enjoy Kratos in all it’s glory!!!

+ JoE5005 on February 13th, 2009 at 10:23 am said:

I really hope this game can release by holiday 2009, but I guess I’ll have to wait till E3.

+ evildude683 on February 13th, 2009 at 10:24 am said:

Hey @86…(lcmnick)
Where did you got the HD trailer at?

+ TheHiFiJedi on February 13th, 2009 at 10:26 am said:

Awesome Love KRATOS!

+ AKGermany on February 13th, 2009 at 10:27 am said:

Please put the trailer on PSN.

+ AKGermany on February 13th, 2009 at 10:32 am said:

“Playboy: Gamers don’t want long load times or storylines, do you plan to recap everything?” – why are they even invited to this if they claim such nonsense? There are more then enough people who like a good story and don’t want the multiplayer shooter of the moment.

+ mywhitenoise on February 13th, 2009 at 10:32 am said:

two words…HOLY [DELETED]!

+ DigitalHero on February 13th, 2009 at 10:34 am said:

This is one of the reasons I bought a PLAYSTATION 3 at launch. Amazing trailer, now the wait…

+ aLBiNuTTz on February 13th, 2009 at 10:36 am said:

“Another” PS3 game i’m looking forward to. Wow! all these great games i have to buy. LOVE IT!!

+ gor1llap1mp on February 13th, 2009 at 10:37 am said:

SONY needs to get with MCFARLANE TOYS and produce figures from this series once and for all. NECA made some and they were plain crap that looked like cheap plastic. Bring It!

+ darkwing75 on February 13th, 2009 at 10:37 am said:

when is E3??

+ mckg123456789 on February 13th, 2009 at 10:38 am said:

THIS LOOKS F**KNG AMAZING!!!!!, cant wait to pre-order it, GOD OF WAR FTW!!! :D

+ Jenovah on February 13th, 2009 at 10:39 am said:

OMG, PS3 is absolutely killing it. I am in Awe.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 6