PS4-Watch_Dogs

God of War III! Press Event Q&A and New Trailer

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Feb 13, 2009 // Sr. Social Media Manager

God of War III is “D-Day + Cloverfield with Kratos smack dab in the middle of it” – Stig Asmussen, Game Director.

Earlier this week, over 50 media outlets from North America and Europe saw God of War III, the “epic finale” to Kratos’ tale of revenge, played before their very eyes for the first time. The game’s director, Stig Asmussen, led off the session by sharing some key features of the game: Titan gameplay, Ride-able enemy characters, a new weapon system, large-scale battle. All of these were demonstrated in this extended trailer, which was shown next:

To further drive home that this trailer was produced in the game’s engine, the audience was treated to nearly 20 minutes of gameplay (which you’ll be reading about all over the internet today, no doubt). After the gameplay demonstration, Stig took questions from the press. Here they are (paraphrased – I can only type so fast!):

Gamespot: How will you catch people up to the story?

Stig: One of the criteria of the game is to “bridge the series.” Some recent games were confusing if you missed certain chapters in the story. I don’t want that to happen with God of War III.

Game Revolution: Has the ESRB gone too far?

Stig: People have to stop looking at games like they’re a toy. There are a lot of mature games and a lot of mature gamers. We look at these like movies. I’m a husband with 2 baby twins, and we’re not making this game for them, we’re making it for people like you. Everything we do is in the character of Kratos. We’re not doing gore just to do gore.

Gamepro: I didn’t see red experience orbs coming off enemies, is it just too early to show?

Stig: It’s just too early to show, expect all that to come back.

UGO: You mentioned this will be the “epic finale.” Is this the final God of War?

Stig: I don’t know about the future of God of War, I’m just focused on God of War III.

Playboy: Gamers don’t want long load times or storylines, do you plan to recap everything?

Stig: For the most part in God of War games, we’ve never made people watch very long movies. Don’t expect God of War III to change that. As far as loading, it’s something we take pride in. We’re a streaming game, we don’t have load times.

G4: Are you going to strip down Kratos’ abilities in the beginning of the game again?

Stig: As a gamer, I’d like to start with everything Kratos has. But as a game designer, it’s not good for gamers who have never played before. We’re still deciding.

IGN: Large-scale puzzle sequences could get people lost because of the scale of the game. How do you keep people focused?

Stig: I’ve never seen anyone else work on this kind of scale. Because of that, we don’t have anything to refer to. We don’t plan on something where you go to a marker and get a hint. We want to design it so that it has a flow, and we won’t have to drop hints. We also do extensive playtesting. Working on these Titans is tough. When we first started we realized we’re doing something we’ve never done before. When you’re on these titans, it doesn’t change how Kratos handles –he can still pull cranks and ride Cyclopes and fight bosses.

G4: When you’re on the titan, how does his movement affect gameplay. Will that affect gameplay?

Stig: Perhaps. [laughter]

Now I know you readers had plenty of questions for the God of War team. I spoke with a number of the dev team, and am currently editing those together for you to see on the Blog next week!

273 Comments

+ lcmnick on February 13th, 2009 at 10:39 am said:

@89

Head over to PS3 Joystiq

+ Enforcer_X on February 13th, 2009 at 10:41 am said:

Totally 100% EPIC!
Everyone at Santa Monica Studios and Sony Studios around the globe are GODS!

+ Nynja on February 13th, 2009 at 10:44 am said:

I just soiled my pants.

Can someone pass me the TP? Anyone?

+ KIDamazin on February 13th, 2009 at 10:44 am said:

It looks sooooo….WOW! Just epic!! One question, Will their be a demo? Not that it matters, because I’m still buying it day one. Once again….WOW WOW!!!

+ wu-stix on February 13th, 2009 at 10:45 am said:

Wow. For a second there I forgot all about Killzone 2 coming out.

+ chyll367 on February 13th, 2009 at 10:46 am said:

Now this is what I’ve been waiting for….

+ DrBingogh on February 13th, 2009 at 10:49 am said:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes…

+ babybluedb on February 13th, 2009 at 10:55 am said:

Awesome just awesome

the thing that really put me in the
aw… mouth droped position……. is when they said that the trailer was made with the in game engine whoop!

+ PlasmaGlory on February 13th, 2009 at 10:55 am said:

Pretty sweet.

+ Scrucifix on February 13th, 2009 at 10:58 am said:

GODLY…..

+ lakaiHIGH on February 13th, 2009 at 10:59 am said:

now that is what should have been shown originally! it screams god of war, i love it! can’t wait for this game. i really hope it drops this year but i won’t be surprised at all if it follows the god of war tradition and is released next March. still the wait is killing me but guys take your time and make it AAA+

peace,
Lh

+ SeanScythe on February 13th, 2009 at 11:01 am said:

After the MS rep talked about how good their hard is it seems to me that Sony is calling their Bluff. MS is only talking about 1 or two games they have and then a bunch of multiplat games.

+ fan1310 on February 13th, 2009 at 11:06 am said:

Amazing…

+ Carnivius_Prime on February 13th, 2009 at 11:06 am said:

Should be great even just based on the excellence of the previous games. PS3 clearly has the best range of exclusives in my opinion even if I’m not a fan of all of them.

+ Heisem on February 13th, 2009 at 11:11 am said:

is this trailer comming to the PSN?? i want it on 720/1080p

+ achmetha on February 13th, 2009 at 11:13 am said:

To be honest, the trailer from Spike TV just didn’t do it for me. I have loved each installment of this series on both the PS2 and PSP.

This extended trailer though, wow. God of War has done it again by getting me way too excited way too soon. Now I have to wait a whole year. :(

+ halfsane2000 on February 13th, 2009 at 11:15 am said:

the greatest spartan is almost home. I can barely wait :)

+ BlackIceJoe on February 13th, 2009 at 11:22 am said:

First off GOW3 Looks Awesome.

Now I have a few questions. I see it says it will bring the past GOW games will this include Chains of Olympus. Because there was some cool weapons that were only in that version of the GOW series.

Also will Kratos Brother play a part in the game. Because He was said to have been thrown down to Hades.

Also any chance of a fight with Kratos vs Hercules. That would be the best fight ever.

Now was it just me or did I see wall running. Because in an interview that was to be a feature that was to be in GOW2 but was not added because other stuff needed to me put in the game instead. So is it in the game now or not.

Will there be any chance Kratos can bring his Wife and daughter back to life or not.

Also will there be lot of cut-scenes or movies. Because I love seeing great GCI movies and games. That is why I loved games like Metal Gear Solid 4. Nice long movies and I would love to see a lot of killing scenes with Kratos.

Again great job and I look forward to playing this game in March of 2010. Because all the other Kratos games came out then so I see GOW3 coming out then too.

+ liquidgraffiti on February 13th, 2009 at 11:26 am said:

Holy >>>>>> *-*
I’m speechless right now. When will this game come out ?
Hopefully is this year.

+ acmilanboy on February 13th, 2009 at 11:26 am said:

I never been so excited in my life!!! Thank you… I could cry….

+ DaWolf619 on February 13th, 2009 at 11:35 am said:

Soo Awesome!! I can’t wait to play this game. I would seriously play this game right now. I don’t care what form it’s in. lol

+ KARAMO on February 13th, 2009 at 11:38 am said:

i was looking at some screens and noticed that the chains on Kratos’ arms seemed flat on them will that be changed to make it look like the chains are not glued to his arms?

+ womfalcs3 on February 13th, 2009 at 11:40 am said:

The trailer is incredible. AWESOME.

+ CrazyGirl_02 on February 13th, 2009 at 11:44 am said:

Este juego esta BRUTAL!!!!!!!

+ Trey630 on February 13th, 2009 at 11:44 am said:

AWESOME Trailer

+ Razrsharp on February 13th, 2009 at 11:47 am said:

wow, this game is looking awesome. hopefully it comes out soon.

+ Gumbydunzeeto on February 13th, 2009 at 11:50 am said:

Playboy: “People don’t want storylines”

Whoever works for Playboy is an idiot.

+ zombie9 on February 13th, 2009 at 12:03 pm said:

And where are those people that say PS3 has no games? Fool’s LOL…….. Nedd to hurry up with geting out I hate waiting and geting teased!!!! :0

+ Enigma777 on February 13th, 2009 at 12:05 pm said:

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I just came…

+ Netweb on February 13th, 2009 at 12:10 pm said:

19th March? 2010?

:D

And about multiplayer? have anything or don’t?

+ JoeDuke4 on February 13th, 2009 at 12:11 pm said:

The scale and graphics in relation to them is freakin unbelievable! GOWIII is insane.

+ Erratic_E on February 13th, 2009 at 12:19 pm said:

BRAVO SONY!!!!!!!!!!! Another stellar addition!!!

+ McSpatrick on February 13th, 2009 at 12:22 pm said:

Well…it’s official. I’m impressed. Demo want!

+ BULL3TPR00F on February 13th, 2009 at 12:24 pm said:

wow trailer looks AMAZING, i cant wait for this!!! lol

ive loved GoW ever since the first one was released, honestly one of the greatest games of all time!

+ Vengeful-Chaos on February 13th, 2009 at 12:26 pm said:

When I think of media outlets PlayBoy does NOT come to mind.

+ Zhi13 on February 13th, 2009 at 12:32 pm said:

That trailer was awesome!

+ jipmg on February 13th, 2009 at 12:32 pm said:

Amazing at the end

+ Argnoth on February 13th, 2009 at 12:34 pm said:

Let’s see that trailer in the store in 1080p!!

+ Enforcer_X on February 13th, 2009 at 12:38 pm said:

According to Playboy, gamers don’t want storylines? Uh No! I want storylines I am playing a game not watching a [DELETED].

+ HaVoK_08 on February 13th, 2009 at 12:40 pm said:

omgwtf holy $#!!….damn, that trailer is going to make some MS reps drop a load in their shorts..

+ K6U1R5D on February 13th, 2009 at 12:44 pm said:

woooooooooooooooooooooooooow

+ bleachrulez on February 13th, 2009 at 12:56 pm said:

amazing…..

+ Someguyyyyyy on February 13th, 2009 at 12:56 pm said:

Very Impressive. Can’t wait!

+ tolkienfanatic on February 13th, 2009 at 12:56 pm said:

Looks a bit too shiny for me.

+ morris1129 on February 13th, 2009 at 1:00 pm said:

WOW…

+ mikemustillo on February 13th, 2009 at 1:04 pm said:

goosebumps all over watching that trailer…most EPIC trailer I’ve ever seen for any video game, I still don’t know if this is a dream… can’t wait !!!

+ jfvalba on February 13th, 2009 at 1:05 pm said:

reason i got a ps3

+ gold5225 on February 13th, 2009 at 1:07 pm said:

That was freaking amazing looking you guys at Sony know how to make a video game for sure.

+ jfvalba on February 13th, 2009 at 1:07 pm said:

directors, producers, and the whole god of war team past and present…
‘applause’

+ IronChefWong on February 13th, 2009 at 1:10 pm said:

I’ve never played through all of the GOW games, but this is truely EPIC.