Bloodborne

God of War III! Press Event Q&A and New Trailer

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Feb 13, 2009 // Sr. Social Media Manager

God of War III is “D-Day + Cloverfield with Kratos smack dab in the middle of it” – Stig Asmussen, Game Director.

Earlier this week, over 50 media outlets from North America and Europe saw God of War III, the “epic finale” to Kratos’ tale of revenge, played before their very eyes for the first time. The game’s director, Stig Asmussen, led off the session by sharing some key features of the game: Titan gameplay, Ride-able enemy characters, a new weapon system, large-scale battle. All of these were demonstrated in this extended trailer, which was shown next:

To further drive home that this trailer was produced in the game’s engine, the audience was treated to nearly 20 minutes of gameplay (which you’ll be reading about all over the internet today, no doubt). After the gameplay demonstration, Stig took questions from the press. Here they are (paraphrased – I can only type so fast!):

Gamespot: How will you catch people up to the story?

Stig: One of the criteria of the game is to “bridge the series.” Some recent games were confusing if you missed certain chapters in the story. I don’t want that to happen with God of War III.

Game Revolution: Has the ESRB gone too far?

Stig: People have to stop looking at games like they’re a toy. There are a lot of mature games and a lot of mature gamers. We look at these like movies. I’m a husband with 2 baby twins, and we’re not making this game for them, we’re making it for people like you. Everything we do is in the character of Kratos. We’re not doing gore just to do gore.

Gamepro: I didn’t see red experience orbs coming off enemies, is it just too early to show?

Stig: It’s just too early to show, expect all that to come back.

UGO: You mentioned this will be the “epic finale.” Is this the final God of War?

Stig: I don’t know about the future of God of War, I’m just focused on God of War III.

Playboy: Gamers don’t want long load times or storylines, do you plan to recap everything?

Stig: For the most part in God of War games, we’ve never made people watch very long movies. Don’t expect God of War III to change that. As far as loading, it’s something we take pride in. We’re a streaming game, we don’t have load times.

G4: Are you going to strip down Kratos’ abilities in the beginning of the game again?

Stig: As a gamer, I’d like to start with everything Kratos has. But as a game designer, it’s not good for gamers who have never played before. We’re still deciding.

IGN: Large-scale puzzle sequences could get people lost because of the scale of the game. How do you keep people focused?

Stig: I’ve never seen anyone else work on this kind of scale. Because of that, we don’t have anything to refer to. We don’t plan on something where you go to a marker and get a hint. We want to design it so that it has a flow, and we won’t have to drop hints. We also do extensive playtesting. Working on these Titans is tough. When we first started we realized we’re doing something we’ve never done before. When you’re on these titans, it doesn’t change how Kratos handles –he can still pull cranks and ride Cyclopes and fight bosses.

G4: When you’re on the titan, how does his movement affect gameplay. Will that affect gameplay?

Stig: Perhaps. [laughter]

Now I know you readers had plenty of questions for the God of War team. I spoke with a number of the dev team, and am currently editing those together for you to see on the Blog next week!

273 Comments

PAGE 1 4 5 6

+ miharbi on February 14th, 2009 at 9:36 pm said:

Man this is gonna be one helluva game. I am gonna start saving right now.

+ hattorihonzo on February 14th, 2009 at 9:52 pm said:

2009 yeah 2009 yeah 2009 yeah c’mon everybody we will we will have this Q4 2009

“if all of olympus shall deny me my vengeance then all of olympus must die”……. oooyeah mofo dis is badassery at its peak this is the limit, this is madness.
Spartan 2nite we dine in hell

+ EyeAmmMcLovin on February 14th, 2009 at 10:36 pm said:

ok…this is my third comment. I just can’t help it. PLEASE SONY (I’m sure you will anyway) but don’t rush this game. If it has to be pushed to 2010, I will cry many tears, but so be it. If any game will be worth the wait it will be this one. And after Sony Santa Monica finishes God of War 3, they should DEFINATLEY be put to work on Heavenly Sword 2. That would just be phenomenal.

+ adefenselesschid on February 14th, 2009 at 11:29 pm said:

is there going to be a multiplayer function?

+ williepoo21 on February 15th, 2009 at 2:52 am said:

the animation and detail is awesome; any chance for in-game recording/photo-taking to share with friends?

+ Farhad91 on February 15th, 2009 at 6:36 am said:

god sony pleeeeease tell me u are gonna make da graphics alot better cause right now it does not look alot better then the ps2 version.

+ Randy_Rhoads on February 15th, 2009 at 7:15 am said:

Jeff,

Is Linda Hunt still the narrator for this GOW?? i hope so cuase his work on the past games is outstanding!

Can you tell us more about the production sorrounding the game?? voices, artwork and who is behind it?? you know if its the same team who originally designed kratos look

Thanks to everyone involved in GOW 3. Its an EPIC series in the world of games already.

+ LordHades74 on February 15th, 2009 at 9:54 am said:

Very cool and I’m glad that they are taking their time with this even though I want to play it now,lol

+ supersaiyan500 on February 15th, 2009 at 2:18 pm said:

Wow, this game has me MORE fired up then when i saw the Resistance 2 E3 trailer and the Killzone 2 trailer. Now if only you can tell me if Naughty dog is working ona new Jak & Daxter for the PS3…

+ JDAM on February 15th, 2009 at 2:39 pm said:

this game’s gonna rock but. I WISH DEVS WOULD STOP PUTTING LIGHT REFLECTIONS ON EVERYTHING. THE BLOOD IN THE TRAILER HAS SO MUCH SHINE TO IT, IT’S HORRIBLE. DEVELOPERS ARE REDUCING HD GAMING TO A FEW MIST FILTERS AND EVERYTHING BEING OVERLY REFLECTIVE. I’m tired of all the HD games looking the same. WAY OVERDONE.

+ Jok3r_iz_Serious on February 15th, 2009 at 5:13 pm said:

O YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CANT WAIT FOR THIS GAME!!! OMG!!! IT LOOKS INSANE!!!!!!!!!!! THANK U PS3!!!!!!

+ Ruben_79 on February 15th, 2009 at 9:20 pm said:

I can watch that trailer 10 times in a row and not get tired.

+ player66 on February 15th, 2009 at 11:32 pm said:

Copyright infringement?

+ killak_90 on February 16th, 2009 at 5:45 am said:

DAHHH! READY TO KICK ZEUS’S ASS AGAIN!!

+ swag_so_nice on February 16th, 2009 at 9:46 am said:

wow this game is goin to be a beast!! i have played the 1st 2 multiple times!! cant wait til this hits the stores!!!

+ luzinhas on February 16th, 2009 at 3:02 pm said:

I’ve always been a fan of the God of War games, both PS2 and PSP. Can’t wait for the 3rd game to come out. It might not be relevant to the release o fthe new game but not long ago I was wondering when the new game was going to come out and if there was ever going to be a God of War movie. well my game woner has been put to rest (WOHOO), and about the movie a pretty good Kratos would be Vin Diesel I think… just in came a movie does come out… in the near future I hope. :)

+ baressi18 on February 16th, 2009 at 3:56 pm said:

god bless you :)

kratos is the best ever
god of war 1 & 2 were very good but GOW 3 is amazing and it will be the best game ever no doubt

+ acegmancarbon1 on February 16th, 2009 at 6:54 pm said:

WOW the game is looking really good. i’m so stoked about it and i already have it pre-ordered, but i have been wondering since the game has been announced will there be any sort of online multiplayer?

+ Ghosteater305 on February 16th, 2009 at 7:26 pm said:

I can’t want for God of war 3 to come out. I’m a bit confused though how chain of olympus story line went down. In the end of chains of olympus, kratos finds himself on a canyon. where in god of war 1 kratos is on a ship fighting monsters. Also if chains of olmpus was a prequel to god of war 1 why didnt it show how kratos became the ghost of sparta?
I thank everyone who had the time to read this. Goodbye

+ ZIMZUM on February 17th, 2009 at 9:22 am said:

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!! this game even exceeded mine expectations… this is the future of game design!!!

+ Predator_Lethal on February 17th, 2009 at 12:52 pm said:

The Game Is AWESOME !!!!!I JUST CAN’T WAIT !!!BUt When will it be releasedddd !!! ???

+ watsi94 on February 17th, 2009 at 2:15 pm said:

i really loved the first 2 games i hope this be even better than the other ones.. but anyone knows when is god of war 3 coming outt? i want it so BADDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Rathalos360 on February 17th, 2009 at 5:05 pm said:

one of the top contenders for GOTY hands down!

PAGE 1 4 5 6