PS4-The Order

Go inside the Street Fighter IV Launch!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Feb 17, 2009 // Sr. Social Media Manager

I know, due to challenges coming in to me via Facebook and IM, that Street Fighter IV hits the… er… street today.

To celebrate the 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) coming of the Street Fighter legacy, Capcom threw a giant launch party a few days ago in downtown Los Angeles. Many of you attended, some were rebuffed by the LA fire marshal, but all that made it in had a great time.

When I first arrived, Capcom Community Guy and Street Fighter Legend Seth Killian offered up a tour. I rolled video so you could see what went down inside:

More pics of the event here. Thanks Justin M!

Gushing fanboy time: my personal highlights were getting my phone engraved, meeting Cmdr. Geordi La Forge, and getting my butt handed to me by Destructoid’s Nick Chester 3 matches in a row.

Again, it was great meeting those who got in, and I extend my personal apologies for those invitees turned away due to overcapacity.

PAGE 1 2

+ tetsou9shima on February 17th, 2009 at 1:19 pm said:

can’t wait for street fighter

+ Delriach on February 17th, 2009 at 1:19 pm said:

Got the game. Love the game. I challenge you Jeff!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 17th, 2009 at 1:21 pm said:

PSN ID: JeffPS – I\’ll be on later this week!

+ NickDude on February 17th, 2009 at 1:20 pm said:

not interested in it really.

+ QCVic on February 17th, 2009 at 1:23 pm said:

We should have a match Jeff . so I can beat you down!!

+ K6U1R5D on February 17th, 2009 at 1:24 pm said:

looks real good but i am focused on killzone 2 right now so how about that challenge?

+ MellowFellows on February 17th, 2009 at 1:25 pm said:

It was an awesome time. Event of the year…. in February.

+ GamerMoney on February 17th, 2009 at 1:26 pm said:

had to make a gamefly account to get this…still lot of games comin’ out…I am so ready for this…KADOKEN!!!! couldn’t resist lol

+ skynidas on February 17th, 2009 at 1:29 pm said:

Hehe, Jeff, I heard that you got owned by a Destructoid.com guy

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 17th, 2009 at 1:57 pm said:

I won\’t deny it. They weren\’t blowouts – but he won, and that\’s what matters. I\’ll be practicing!

+ WestSiide on February 17th, 2009 at 1:29 pm said:

Ummm… its HADOKEN!!!!

+ Incubuster on February 17th, 2009 at 1:30 pm said:

I was really looking forward to today, but only to be disappointed that none of my local stores had it in yet. :( Hopefully tomorrow will be different. :)

+ babybluedb on February 17th, 2009 at 1:30 pm said:

jeff maybe you should improve the friend list to 200 friends i often try to add you

+ babybluedb on February 17th, 2009 at 1:31 pm said:

i to will own you at SF4

+ Biskoito on February 17th, 2009 at 1:31 pm said:

Awesome! I live in Brazil so it’s gonna take 20 more days for me, can’t wait to put my hands on SF4!

+ skynidas on February 17th, 2009 at 1:32 pm said:

Oh, It seems that you already posted it on the article, I didnt read that part

+ Berae on February 17th, 2009 at 1:34 pm said:

it looked great but as many people, i’m waiting for killzone 2!! never been a fan of street fighters but congrats for the release

+ SmellyBadger on February 17th, 2009 at 1:35 pm said:

What i dont like about fighting games is there all the same… and the endless sequels other than that the only thing i like is the visuals

+ juggulator on February 17th, 2009 at 1:35 pm said:

It seems that today was just the ship date which means that street fighter4 did not hit the streets today.If you disagree you should contact my local gamestop because they stated today was just a ship date.If the game has ‘hit the streets’ as you say,then i would be playing it instead of trying to figure out why my city dosen’t have the game yet.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 17th, 2009 at 1:58 pm said:

I know people that have their copies in hand. Really it depends on where you live, if/where you preordered, etc…

+ TheGuardianFID on February 17th, 2009 at 1:40 pm said:

I can’t wait for this game, I’m getting the collector’s edition, it’s gonna be fun!!! I remember playing the original in the arcades with my friends, yes I’m that old!!! :P :D

P.S. Jeff I sent you a friend invite on my PS3, I hope you accept!!! ;D

+ sam_i_jam on February 17th, 2009 at 1:45 pm said:

I hate fighting games.

With that said, I will be buying SFIV stat.

Why? Because it’s the one fighting series that I have a soft spot for.

I played the game every day I was in Japan last year. So good!

+ depward on February 17th, 2009 at 1:47 pm said:

I suck at fighting games. However, I remember back in the day when my family got SFII for the SNES. Apparently due to the… violent nature… of the game, my twin brother and I had a brawl that evening in our bedroom.

Our Mom took the game away after that.

I kind of want to relive those glory days.

+ GamerMoney on February 17th, 2009 at 1:48 pm said:

thnx westside…god, can’t believe I screwed that up, guess that’s what i get for tryin to type fast lol

+ Bildo818 on February 17th, 2009 at 1:49 pm said:

Haven’t purchased a fighting game in years, but might have to pick this up!

+ eksMAN on February 17th, 2009 at 1:49 pm said:

awesome! man i want a hadouken stick lighter

+ Darkos87 on February 17th, 2009 at 1:50 pm said:

JeffPS is not his actual PSN id, he just gave you the PSN of his little cousin… who is better than him on Street Fighter :)

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 17th, 2009 at 2:00 pm said:

That\’s not a bad idea… too bad my cousin sucks at Street Fighter.

+ Justagame on February 17th, 2009 at 1:54 pm said:

Happy Days =P

+ nickbrutal on February 17th, 2009 at 1:58 pm said:

Jeff, it was good going head-to-head with you in LA. I may have to pick the game up on the PS3 so we can continue to to battle it out … even though I’m just going to destroy you again. ;)

(Gotta love the smack talk! Let it begin!)

+ Demonic_Zhen on February 17th, 2009 at 1:59 pm said:

I’ve said what needed to be said of the event, regardless, I still got in.

This should be a fun game all around . . .

+ Zookey on February 17th, 2009 at 2:03 pm said:

Too bad the place I reserved it at won’t get it until tomorrow–man driving me more crazy LOL—-glad you had fun Jeff :-) Tell your capcom friends moar fighting games plz heheheheheh

+ x3AM on February 17th, 2009 at 2:14 pm said:

Street fighters cool n all..

BUT Wheres ma killzone 2 news I was PROMISED!?

+ bball230 on February 17th, 2009 at 2:16 pm said:

You know what would make Street Fighter 4 even better!

If it and the ps3 had:

An XMB based party system (not home)
Cross game chat
and In/cross game invites.

+ CHRP718 on February 17th, 2009 at 2:16 pm said:

Are we gonna see the Killzone 2 ads today? :)

+ x3AM on February 17th, 2009 at 2:17 pm said:

Oh, i also want to add, post 30 is a smart man and should be listened too ;)

+ bushisprez on February 17th, 2009 at 2:18 pm said:

Jeff any news on when Madcatz tournament sticks will be available again or are they like a one time only thing?

I don’t believe many people are going for the regular sticks because of the quality of the parts.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 17th, 2009 at 2:45 pm said:

Not sure, I\’d like to get ahold of one myself. I have an email out to Alex @MatCatz…

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 18th, 2009 at 9:34 am said:

Here\’s that update!
    ***
    We understand how frustrating it can be to wait for these Sticks but please be confident that Mad Catz are doing everything humanly possible to manufacture more and bring them to retail ASAP. As this range is so important, we refuse to compromise quailty so we can not nor will not rush but more stock IS coming and will be replenished through March and April. Please stick with us (No pun intended!) We plan to make certain that any consumer who wants a stick WILL be able to get a stick so I would reccomend not paying silly eBay prices and to keep checking your retailer or our own gamesharkstore.com for further details.

Thanks again for your support!

Alex Verrey – Global PR & Communications Manager

+ mixedkidbx on February 17th, 2009 at 2:29 pm said:

i wish gamestop would get their dates right on when a game is supposed to be released. i called yesterday and the girl said it would be in today. today i called and they say tomorrow.

+ FullyShadow on February 17th, 2009 at 2:30 pm said:

Hey Jeff I’m gonna get my copy later on today!

ALSO!!

You think you can ask capcom and madcatz to make more of those tournament edition fighting sticks please!? Their sold out and I want one really badly :(

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 18th, 2009 at 9:35 am said:

From MadCatz directly to you:

Thanks again for your support!

Alex Verrey – Global PR & Communications Manager

+ The_Apprentice on February 17th, 2009 at 2:32 pm said:

lol @ Jeff’s big smile with his newly engraved phone :D

Wish I could get my ipod touch engraved :(

+ Haskell420 on February 17th, 2009 at 2:41 pm said:

@ Jeff,
Hi Jeff, how are you sir? I have been out on disability after getting hurt on 9/11/01 while I was working. I have been out ever since and go to phys. therapy 3 times a week for 7+ years.
Thankfully of course, I’m not dead or paralyzed, but still have enough problems, + pain to last many lieftimes.
I have been honored to be in many Beta tests prior, and I was in 5 Beta’s in 2008. Motorstorm, SOCOM, Little Big Planet, HOME and Resist. 2. Being in them is a honor and I take it seriously. I hope I’m asked again in the future. I got plenty of time on my hands as all I do is watch tv, and play my PS3.
I get 1/3 of my weekly salary, so if you got hurt Jeff, and missed time,you would ONLY get $400 a week, the cap for NY. I made $700 a week in construction. I now get $266 bi weekly.
I was elated I had a HDTV, when my family got me a PS3, I was heaven. 9 days ago I’m in Echochrome, the screen turns green. Circuit City, told me their in Chapter 11, and said that my warranty ran out. I can’t afford it, so my TV sits on the side.
I look forward to being apart of HOME, and I thank you for your hard work, and dillegence I look forward to the future and hope to get a new TV by then.
Eddie
PSN ID: haskell420

+ Fersis on February 17th, 2009 at 2:42 pm said:

wow,it was a huge event.
Next week i will get my SF IV!! Wooooo !

+ BigRon3400 on February 17th, 2009 at 2:47 pm said:

I got my copy from Gamestop today! This game looks and plays great! Seth is a real pain to beat though. Even on the easiest difficulty. I can’t imagine fighting Akuma and Gouken. Guess I’ll find out eventually though.

+ Haskell420 on February 17th, 2009 at 2:48 pm said:

@Jeff,
I used to play Street fighter a long time ago, I loved Guile, and then VEGA. I played it here and their and only recently did I get back into it. I am finsing it’s a little hard because getting my coordination down again, but it’s hard because my left wrist/thumb has some issues, from when I got hurt.
I still stand in amazement at some of the people I have seen play, where you stand in awe. I play and it’s over in 2 minutes lol.
My question is this:

Do you have any plans on coming out with a LEFTY controller, where the D-PAD is on the LEFT side up the contoller?

Because since my left wrist/thumb doesnt work that well anymore, if I had a lefty based ontroller, with the d-pad on the right side, and the buttons on the left, it MAY just help me out, but I am sure others as well.

Thanks
Eddie H

haskell420

+ lakaiHIGH on February 17th, 2009 at 2:58 pm said:

overall reviews are coming in and it sounds like another smash hit in the series! gonna look into buying this if i can afford it.

thanks,
Lh

+ mendezgato on February 17th, 2009 at 2:59 pm said:

i have the game and i’m about to play as soon as i Finnish reading my emails, @ Jeff how about you add me because every time i try it never happens!
to anyone else if you like to play let me know

+ Sharingan_itachi on February 17th, 2009 at 3:01 pm said:

I really want those SF shirts…hopefully on markets soon :D

+ GamerMoney on February 17th, 2009 at 3:05 pm said:

oooh, haskell…i did not know this…met you back in home beta, hope your gaming isn’t effected too much….my lefy wrist is okay…it’s the right on that isn’t as well as the fingers are a nit messed up but thumb is okay…hope ya get better over time

+ Zezzler on February 17th, 2009 at 3:05 pm said:

WOW! Sometimes i hate to live in Canada where there is NEVER anything cool or sinteresting happening… I hope everyone who went there enjoyed it though…

But man thet SONIC BROOOOM! that is something alright!

+ Trieloth on February 17th, 2009 at 3:06 pm said:

Dang it Jeff why do you tease me with your PSN id? Every time it pops up Iam at work and cant log in to send one out before you get swamp’d with invites..sigh. Oh well its a small world Iam sure we will cross paths eventualy. Game On!

+ mendezgato on February 17th, 2009 at 3:08 pm said:

@ Jeff, besides you dont have space for mor friends and you know it, on a side note have you send the KZ2 codes yet? i did not get one :(

+ Carnivius_Prime on February 17th, 2009 at 3:40 pm said:

I pre-ordered my SFIV here in the UK which should be out by end of the week. Can’t wait. Not interested in the slightest in Killzone 2 so certainly not pre-ordering that, but SFIV’s got me excited. I love the Street Fighter series. Been practising a plenty on the superb Alpha 3 Upper on the PSP.

Can’t wait til I can afford me a nice big HDTV. I feel like I’m missing out by using a PS3 on a regular standard definition wide screen. Friend of mine upgraded to a HDTV and he says playing his PS3 on it was like buying a whole new console all over again.

+ Faceless_Shaman on February 17th, 2009 at 3:46 pm said:

When I went to gamestop to pick up the
collecters edition of the game. They told
me it wasn’t available. I preordered it back in Jan. How is a collecters edition not available,when its been perodered. gamestop
didn’t even call and tell me it wasn’t available so I could cancel my order instead
I’m stuck with twenty dollars in store credit. I’m very angry over this.

+ mixedkidbx on February 17th, 2009 at 4:12 pm said:

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just got in from getting my SF4 CE and went to input the code and it told me the code is invalid.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!