PS4-Watch_Dogs

Helghast in HD – Killzone 2 Ads Hit TV

Scott Steinberg's Avatar + Posted by Scott Steinberg on Feb 19, 2009 // VP of Product Marketing

Thank you all for your support and confidence in Killzone 2. Its debut starts a relentless flood of AAA exclusives on the PlayStation 3 – a line up that I consider to be our strongest yet. And I am confident this game will inspire many of you who’ve been waiting for the right time to buy a PS3. It is a true testament to what “Only on PlayStation” means.

We’re excited the promise of Killzone 2 has been realized and has exceeded expectations due to the tireless efforts and dedication of Guerrilla Games. I can’t thank the development team enough for remaining true to the vision and producing one of the most impressive games in recent memory – on any platform. The pre-order numbers only reinforce your great enthusiasm for the game and we’re pleased the game reviews show the same.

A group of us flew out to meet with the development team in late 2008 for a product meeting – we had an idea for a fresh way to promote the game. It was to bring the incredible detail in Killzone 2 to life by showcasing the game’s technology – only made possible by the power of the PS3.

The idea for the commercial centered on telling the story of war on Helghan – up close and very personal and to use the game’s engine to show it. No voodoo, no heavy metal soundtrack: just the true representation of the in-game graphics. The team at Guerrilla embraced the concept and we were on a production rollercoaster ride that produced a piece that will be broadcasted across several networks starting tomorrow. You’ll get the chance to see it here for the first time:

We’ll also have the digital version available on the PlayStation Network later today.

At the risk of stating the obvious – the Killzone 2 engine is phenomenally powerful. To offer you some insight into the technology behind this game, we will release a playable version of this in-engine ad vignette on the PlayStation Network coming in March. You’ll be able to control the camera and hear director commentary on how the production was completed using only the game’s technology. The project codename is “Killzone in 4-D” – hope you can check it out.

Thanks again for keeping the faith – it means a lot to the team here at PlayStation. Enjoy playing Killzone 2 on February 27th !!

[UPDATE: you can now stream the Killzone 2 ad in HD over at G4, or download it from the PlayStation Store!]

PAGE 1 2 3 6

+ Ftwrthtx on February 19th, 2009 at 12:41 pm said:

Sweet!

Awesome ads

Scott Steinberg's Avatar

+ Scott Steinberg on February 19th, 2009 at 4:24 pm said:

It\’s great to hear all of your feedback. We\’re very excited about Killzone 2 & very much appreciate your enthusiasm.

+ loucetios on February 19th, 2009 at 12:42 pm said:

Awesome, can’t wait to download the video on my ps3 today

+ THE_TERRORIZER on February 19th, 2009 at 12:43 pm said:

haha now thats an awesome commercial…..i hope it makes the mouths of 360 fanboys foam over its beautyness.
man i am so hyped for this game…..the demo is enough to keep me busy for months, im glad the ps3 is getting something this great….we’ve needed it

+ afrsoul on February 19th, 2009 at 12:43 pm said:

Nice video… i am def. pickin up tht

+ smokey_vols on February 19th, 2009 at 12:43 pm said:

Good to see Sony putting some great ads behind their games. This is how you sell games.

+ danthecrazyman on February 19th, 2009 at 12:44 pm said:

Looks amazing!

+ EvilEye007 on February 19th, 2009 at 12:44 pm said:

Glad to see that the advertising is finally gonna kick off!

+ BlazeofAce on February 19th, 2009 at 12:44 pm said:

Wow

+ Tagan55 on February 19th, 2009 at 12:44 pm said:

awesome!

+ Charliesdad on February 19th, 2009 at 12:45 pm said:

Pretty sweet..the more I see, the more I think this could be the FPS that gets me to play an FPS. :-)

+ Ramage on February 19th, 2009 at 12:45 pm said:

Now Das wus up.

Not that I watch too much TV(just LOST, Scrubs) but its nice to know this is finally getting some air time.

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on February 19th, 2009 at 12:46 pm said:

Please have it on Saturday for UFC 95

Scott Steinberg's Avatar

+ Scott Steinberg on February 19th, 2009 at 4:37 pm said:

Keep your eyes peeled. We\’re on there.

+ p91768 on February 19th, 2009 at 12:46 pm said:

This commercial is the best.

Far better than any game I’ve seen.

+ usjvc on February 19th, 2009 at 12:46 pm said:

Hello,
glad to see the KZ2 ads around. Now for some reason my question did not go through yesterday, so i will try my luck today:

1/ Will we be able to take in-game screenshots?
2/ When will the forums on Killzone.com be finally fixed after all these months?

+ Axecution on February 19th, 2009 at 12:47 pm said:

Kinda late, but still… awesome ad. :D That being said, its pretty much impossible to show anything on this game and NOT have it be impressive.

+ UNCyrus on February 19th, 2009 at 12:47 pm said:

/drool

+ ClinToN on February 19th, 2009 at 12:48 pm said:

“…a playable version of this in-engine ad vignette on the PlayStation Network coming in March”

Nice! I can’t wait to see that. I hope to hear of more of these types of PSN goodies for future titles! Can’t wait for KZ2. Good job, GG!.

Scott Steinberg's Avatar

+ Scott Steinberg on February 19th, 2009 at 4:55 pm said:

We\’re glad you\’re excited. More details on this soon.

+ Jenovah on February 19th, 2009 at 12:48 pm said:

Nice! Now air the crap out of this sucker!

+ Dibbz on February 19th, 2009 at 12:49 pm said:

Hooooooly crap that was amazing! I hope the UK is is similar to that.

+ mkis0077 on February 19th, 2009 at 12:49 pm said:

The wait is killing me…I die every day I can’t play it. and this trailer is gorgeous. Great Ad! only gripe was that I didn’t see it in the Superbowl when my Steelers won… Then I would have had 2 things to be happy about.

+ Hell-Reaver on February 19th, 2009 at 12:50 pm said:

sweet deal, now push it out to everywhere. I want to see it over and over again wherever I look. That’s how we’ll sell Killzone 2, and the PS3 to the masses :)

+ Skier1017 on February 19th, 2009 at 12:50 pm said:

GORGEOUS!

+ Conch_Bubby on February 19th, 2009 at 12:51 pm said:

Very Nice

+ Solid-SnakeUK on February 19th, 2009 at 12:51 pm said:

Lol. 4D LOL!

The ad is a bit too subtle for my liking. A balls-out video showing the action in the game would have been much preferred. Nevertheless the ad is growing on me.

BTW: What does the guy say at the start of the video?

+ darkwing75 on February 19th, 2009 at 12:51 pm said:

Wow, i was pretty skeptical if Sony could make a TV ad for KZ2, looks like they did it!!! Just Amazing!

+ xBerserker on February 19th, 2009 at 12:51 pm said:

0_o holy …. that it amazing!

+ Terranz22 on February 19th, 2009 at 12:51 pm said:

Fantastic commercial

+ CGIII on February 19th, 2009 at 12:52 pm said:

Will this playable TV ad allow me to take pictures and have video filters too? That would be great.

+ ts23245 on February 19th, 2009 at 12:53 pm said:

FINALLY!!!!

+ Coramoor_ on February 19th, 2009 at 12:53 pm said:

i actually really liked that commercial, good job guys

+ BEGxFORxMERCY on February 19th, 2009 at 12:54 pm said:

Great job Sony, i cant wait to buy the full game and i cant wait to see the faces of my xbox owning friends when they see this, ps3 has no games my A$$

+ TrojanBlade on February 19th, 2009 at 12:54 pm said:

Scott, that ad is just AWESOME!!!! Would there be a longer version of this ad? Any billboard ads? Also will there be a midnight launch for this game at the Metreon in San Francisco like R2?

+ norm01 on February 19th, 2009 at 12:55 pm said:

WOW. Just WOW. This ad made me want this game that much more. Amazingly well done!!!

+ CitizenInsane27 on February 19th, 2009 at 12:55 pm said:

YES! Now keep it up! Flood the TV market with these ads, newer LBP ads and stuff and keep this awesome advertising moving along! I want to see more!

+ DarKaoZ on February 19th, 2009 at 12:55 pm said:

That Ad is badass, I also wish you guys did a Ad with the speech that comes in the intro of the game showing the helghast planet.

Anyways, badass ad, can’t wait to see it on tv.

+ TerryVSL on February 19th, 2009 at 12:56 pm said:

Utterly insane graphics.

Not as impressive as the Ballet of Death footage though.

One major problem with is we all know those are real Killzone 2 graphics. Anyone who doesn’t know anything about the game or the PS3 will just assume that is the standard CGI fake marketing footage.

A realtime/in game footage would label before/during/or after should be there.

+ Caemgen on February 19th, 2009 at 12:57 pm said:

Amazing ad! Great visuals, great sound-design, great way to get people interested.

Love the tagline as well: ‘War. Perfected.’

Is this the first in a series of ads, or is this the only one? I hope there are some action-packed ads as well.

+ NightHawk17 on February 19th, 2009 at 12:58 pm said:

Good it’ll do the job, but should’ve had some gameplay

+ FFObsessed on February 19th, 2009 at 12:59 pm said:

WOW That is one incredible ad. Really different and really eye catching. I actually want keep watching and see more than just those few seconds. Guess that shows how amazing it is.

I hope this is the same ad that the UK will be getting?

+ reson8er on February 19th, 2009 at 12:59 pm said:

Great Add!

I want to see this on every channel possible.

I want to not be able to watch tv for more than 5 minutes without seeing an add for Killzone 2.

This game deserves no less. Make it happen!

+ Cesarcsrf on February 19th, 2009 at 12:59 pm said:

now that’s an epic ad

+ Slintaii on February 19th, 2009 at 12:59 pm said:

Very very nice… and may I say FINALLY.

+ jbullfrog23 on February 19th, 2009 at 1:00 pm said:

Amazing – looking forward to playing around with it.

+ makingmusic476 on February 19th, 2009 at 1:01 pm said:

Wow. Awesome ad. Good to see Sony finally marketing something well this gen!

This combined with the Euro ads I’ve seen will certainly help Killzone get on it’s feet quick once it’s on the marketplace.

+ SPARDA on February 19th, 2009 at 1:02 pm said:

Short…..Sweet….Beautiful

I LIKE IT

+ costillaman on February 19th, 2009 at 1:03 pm said:

great ad

+ usjvc on February 19th, 2009 at 1:03 pm said:

@ 24 Solid-SnakeUK

BTW: What does the guy say at the start of the video?

—-> he says: ‘RATER M FOR MATURE’

+ Jeigh on February 19th, 2009 at 1:03 pm said:

Pretty cool. I was wondering how you were going to show off the game without hitting that hot-button issue of showing excess violence in the commercial.

EIGHT DAYS!!! (Heh, yeah, that might be a double message, but I’m quite excited about KZ2.) :D

+ DropD on February 19th, 2009 at 1:04 pm said:

great stuff!

+ Strange__Brew on February 19th, 2009 at 1:04 pm said:

Pretty good ad.

I hope there’s a couple of follow up ads after this one. One should be the Ballet or Death ad and one should be put together for Killzone 2′s multiplayer – promoting the network of course.

PAGE 1 2 3 6