PS4 - Destiny

Helghast in HD – Killzone 2 Ads Hit TV

Scott Steinberg's Avatar + Posted by Scott Steinberg on Feb 19, 2009 // VP of Product Marketing

Thank you all for your support and confidence in Killzone 2. Its debut starts a relentless flood of AAA exclusives on the PlayStation 3 – a line up that I consider to be our strongest yet. And I am confident this game will inspire many of you who’ve been waiting for the right time to buy a PS3. It is a true testament to what “Only on PlayStation” means.

We’re excited the promise of Killzone 2 has been realized and has exceeded expectations due to the tireless efforts and dedication of Guerrilla Games. I can’t thank the development team enough for remaining true to the vision and producing one of the most impressive games in recent memory – on any platform. The pre-order numbers only reinforce your great enthusiasm for the game and we’re pleased the game reviews show the same.

A group of us flew out to meet with the development team in late 2008 for a product meeting – we had an idea for a fresh way to promote the game. It was to bring the incredible detail in Killzone 2 to life by showcasing the game’s technology – only made possible by the power of the PS3.

The idea for the commercial centered on telling the story of war on Helghan – up close and very personal and to use the game’s engine to show it. No voodoo, no heavy metal soundtrack: just the true representation of the in-game graphics. The team at Guerrilla embraced the concept and we were on a production rollercoaster ride that produced a piece that will be broadcasted across several networks starting tomorrow. You’ll get the chance to see it here for the first time:

We’ll also have the digital version available on the PlayStation Network later today.

At the risk of stating the obvious – the Killzone 2 engine is phenomenally powerful. To offer you some insight into the technology behind this game, we will release a playable version of this in-engine ad vignette on the PlayStation Network coming in March. You’ll be able to control the camera and hear director commentary on how the production was completed using only the game’s technology. The project codename is “Killzone in 4-D” – hope you can check it out.

Thanks again for keeping the faith – it means a lot to the team here at PlayStation. Enjoy playing Killzone 2 on February 27th !!

[UPDATE: you can now stream the Killzone 2 ad in HD over at G4, or download it from the PlayStation Store!]

+ Dragnipur on February 19th, 2009 at 2:59 pm said:

Great Ad, I’m of the opinion that they should have been running this Ad over a week ago!!!

Nonetheless great games don’t require too much shouting about!

+ blindrocket on February 19th, 2009 at 3:00 pm said:

It’s nice, but not amazing IMO.
Hopefully it catches the eye of the mainstream.

+ lebron_accel on February 19th, 2009 at 3:07 pm said:

great comercial! good job!
Is this the only cormecial?
or there’s more coming up?

+ WackyWeedCreed on February 19th, 2009 at 3:07 pm said:

Sell your soul and slap it on some mountain dew! =P

+ Wollan on February 19th, 2009 at 3:09 pm said:

Downright gorgeous.

And by quite a length Sony’s best 1st party ad this generation. Good thing it landed on Killzone 2.

+ tirminyl on February 19th, 2009 at 3:09 pm said:

Very nice ad. I can’t wait to check out the playable version in March!

+ EmperorKorea on February 19th, 2009 at 3:11 pm said:

doesn’t show gameplay = commercial failed

+ QCVic on February 19th, 2009 at 3:11 pm said:

That was prett cool.

+ Confucius89 on February 19th, 2009 at 3:13 pm said:

Damn, that [DELETED] was hot!

+ Jok3r_iz_Serious on February 19th, 2009 at 3:18 pm said:

O YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Jok3r_iz_Serious on February 19th, 2009 at 3:19 pm said:

cant wait for this game, its almost here, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! me and my friends are counting down baby, WOOT WOOT!!!

+ D-Squad3 on February 19th, 2009 at 3:24 pm said:

I didn’t really like it, it could have been way better and they didn’t even show any gameplay footage! That’s what made a lot people like it is the gameplay footage!

+ backbreaker65 on February 19th, 2009 at 3:26 pm said:

Nice commercial

+ KON-SPIRACEE on February 19th, 2009 at 3:30 pm said:

I am glad to see that Killzone 2 is getting the type of press it deserves. I think it is safe to say this will be one of the most dynamic and promising game for this generation. As a gamer for over 20 years I am really excited to see all aspects of this game when it launches next week.

If anyone wants to game together when it drops drop me a friend invite on PSN: Kon-Spiracee

+ WillAllon on February 19th, 2009 at 3:39 pm said:

Epic ad. I cannot wait for this game !!

+ Alex_Assassin_08 on February 19th, 2009 at 3:44 pm said:

wow…just, wow!

And there was me thinking all American telly was s**t ^^’

Looks glorious on my TV :D

+ KillerKahuna on February 19th, 2009 at 3:46 pm said:

Now that’s art, I mean, that trailer gave me goosbumps all over the place.

Now I’m really looking forward to “Killzone in 4D”

Great post Scott

+ CartBlanche on February 19th, 2009 at 3:49 pm said:

This is more like it!!! More ads like this please SONY. Also in the EU and the rest of the world!!!!

+ IronChefWong on February 19th, 2009 at 3:52 pm said:

I was no disappointed. Good job Sony, now get this on the air. You’ve only got one week.

+ Sakimori_X on February 19th, 2009 at 3:58 pm said:

Ooh! KZ4D should be really neat. Thanks for taking the “behind the scenes” stuff one step further!

+ wedabest021 on February 19th, 2009 at 4:00 pm said:

Hey great job guys. Just a couple of minor things (although it’s probably too late to make any changes to the ad)

1. It would have been awesome to show some of the great scores the game got from major publications like IGN, PlayStation Mag, etc. as the bullet is headed towards the target.

2. I wish there was a “actual footage” note in the bottom of the screen.

If it’s not too late it would be great to see those 2 comments implemented in the ad.

otherwise great job.

+ PriestCoke on February 19th, 2009 at 4:08 pm said:

Beautiful…
Sadly it wont be aired here.

+ stallyon84 on February 19th, 2009 at 4:11 pm said:

Really nice work guys.

+ zFEARLESSz on February 19th, 2009 at 4:12 pm said:

i just downloaded it from the playstation store. this will be the best FPS EVER!!!!!

+ poisonedsodapop on February 19th, 2009 at 4:22 pm said:

I’m probably the only one but nothing about this game impresses me. I wonder if this is really going to be as great a game as everyone makes it out to be.

+ decimalator on February 19th, 2009 at 4:24 pm said:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Killzone, me wants

+ JuanDHexen on February 19th, 2009 at 4:25 pm said:

I think it is perfect, sony should spam this and the ballet of death and everything will be good.
I really hope that the firmware 2.70 is true

+ viper262 on February 19th, 2009 at 4:26 pm said:

This game has probably the best graphics out of any game out there.

+ TheGuardianFID on February 19th, 2009 at 4:35 pm said:

Ok that was just all kinds of awesome Sony, congrats to you and GG on a spectacular game, 10/10!!! :D

+ daftcrunk on February 19th, 2009 at 4:37 pm said:

any one else think that “war. perfected” sounds like a swipe at a certain game called “halo, combat evolved” ?…….lol…cuz that would be kool if that was their intention…..

+ FlyAJ on February 19th, 2009 at 4:42 pm said:

that was amazing, wish it was longer though.
But can’t wait till march to dl that 4-d stuff…

+ Shqype on February 19th, 2009 at 4:45 pm said:

This is a well thought-out commercial. It is short and sweet. It will fit nicely in the UFC fights and other spots as well. Although, I do hope more commercials are released, and ones that show more gameplay footage, like online play – we must show people the online multiplayer that surpasses COD4!

By the way, Killzone 2 will sell highly. I personally have not pre-ordered the game, but I will purchase it immediately on release day, and I’m sure many others are in the same boat. I’ve been telling everyone I know about Killzone 2 … especially customers who have bought/are buying PS3s. They all know that Friday the 27th the greatest, most gorgeous FPS ever releases exclusively for the PS3.

Keep up the good work, guys!

+ Modest-Genius on February 19th, 2009 at 4:45 pm said:

Hey I saw a much shorter, less impressive advert (UK) just a few moments ago. It was nice, just not as a nice as this.

+ LukaX23 on February 19th, 2009 at 4:50 pm said:

I love you.

+ EliteF50 on February 19th, 2009 at 4:50 pm said:

Great ad, but I just noticed. You forgot to mention something very important… The release date! :P

Also, you guys should’ve added “Everything you see here has been rendered in-engine” or something. Looks CGI to me. :\

+ Kittonwy on February 19th, 2009 at 4:58 pm said:

RWAR PERFECTED. >:|

+ Intruder_qc on February 19th, 2009 at 5:05 pm said:

@Scott

The ad look is pretty good, but they are only a slight problem like other people already mentioned.

They are no mention that this is IN GAME footage. I am afraid a lot of people will probably dismiss it as just a CGI trailer 8-(. Which isn’t, but most consumer out there that don’t own already a PS3 and/or heard about the post on the blog wont know this is the kind of actual game play you will get.

Imho a footage of actual gameplay in first person would have been more convincing.

I played the demo several and it damn amazing ;-). Looking forward to get my hand on it next week!

+ JesseHaysFL on February 19th, 2009 at 5:11 pm said:

PLEASE ADVERTISE THIS MORE AS THIS GAME DESERVES TO SELL MORE COPIES THAN THERE ARE PS3′S

+ un-discovered on February 19th, 2009 at 5:12 pm said:

That was actually pretty SICK! I was expecting some cool tactical all out war kind of thing.. but this was cool.

+ moatartareque on February 19th, 2009 at 5:25 pm said:

is there going to be more ads?

+ Demonic_Zhen on February 19th, 2009 at 5:30 pm said:

Such an awesome commercial . . .

+ Ramage on February 19th, 2009 at 5:31 pm said:

It feels like it’s missing something…
it needs more…

desu!

+ singhjeet29 on February 19th, 2009 at 5:31 pm said:

Wonderful ad, I hope this isn’t the only ad though, but at the same time I also hope that this ad will be EVERYWHERE, I want to be annoyed of seeing this ad so much on TV.

+ lfcmonkey on February 19th, 2009 at 5:42 pm said:

Looking good Scott, I’ve given your ad the thumbs up over at Carnagerover.com. Everything about Killzone 2 looks and sounds superb. Want to level with you regards the controls though, finding targeting quite difficult and not as natural as most other leading FPS’s. Do you feel this will hinder gamer’s experience when playing Killzone 2?

+ SWANN on February 19th, 2009 at 5:43 pm said:

Hi, Scott,

I’ve had Killzone 2 pre-ordered payed off for over a year. Let me tell you that I can’t wait until next Friday after work to pick it up. I hope that you guys have plans to give GOW3 & Heavy Rain this type of treatment as well. If the Xbots don’t believe now, then nothing short of actually playing the game themselves will convince them than there’s more to life than Halo. BTW, incredible commercial & demo…On to Friday, the 27th!!!

+ Neolistic on February 19th, 2009 at 5:45 pm said:

This is a testament to the true power of the PS3. Also while you guy are at it check out this new promotional Killzone 2 video as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz8W8DYqzww&feature=channel_page

+ ColossiSlayer on February 19th, 2009 at 5:50 pm said:

Hey guys, ya’ll should use the Tech to advertise all the PS3 exclusives . . . An amazing way to show games off . . . WE NEED MORE COMMERCIALS . . .

+ cronqvist on February 19th, 2009 at 5:56 pm said:

It looks awesome. I knew KZ2 looked great, but I never thought the engine capable of such beauty.

+ StanleyCup19 on February 19th, 2009 at 5:58 pm said:

Great ad, I really liked that it focused on images rather than voice-work.

+ czakhary on February 19th, 2009 at 6:01 pm said:

All I can say is wow. Good job Gorilla!