Uncharted 4

Mar 03

The Most Realistic Baseball Game Ever Hits Store Shelves Today

Troy Mack's Avatar Posted by Troy Mack on Mar 03, 2009 // Product Manager, MLB 10 The Show

If you’re a baseball fan, you don’t want to miss Opening Day on PlayStation. From Road To The Show to Franchise Mode to Online Leagues, there is something for everyone in MLB 09 The Show. Regardless of which PlayStation is your platform of choice, the MLB franchise dubbed “best sports game of the year” for the last two seasons hits PS3, PS2 and PSP today in the bid for a three-peat. So get yourself some peanuts and Cracker Jack and take yourself out to the ballgame.

But if tutorials, trailers and a downloadable demo didn’t clinch it for you, here is a peek at what reviewers are saying:

Welcome to the show – now PLAY BALL!

+ CrashSpyro on March 3rd, 2009 at 4:22 pm said:

I found a great review here: http://www.gamer20.com/gamehub/mlb-09-the-show-ps3/review/1506

+ APaz on March 3rd, 2009 at 4:25 pm said:

I’m not that much of a baseball fan but I just might have to pick this up because of how realistic it looks.

+ enkill on March 3rd, 2009 at 4:32 pm said:

Even curling is more exciting then baseball….

Troy Mack's Avatar

+ Troy Mack on March 3rd, 2009 at 6:49 pm said:

If you\’re concerned about your excitement level – you can always fast-forward your career from AB to AB in Road to the Show.

+ Dibbz on March 3rd, 2009 at 4:36 pm said:

What’s the music at the beginning?

+ lilbuddy on March 3rd, 2009 at 5:00 pm said:

Buying it. I sold my last one 3 months ago and I’ve been dying for this to come out….thx

+ INTVGene on March 3rd, 2009 at 5:06 pm said:

I picked it up and I’m loving it. RTTS is great!

+ jqtaxpayer on March 3rd, 2009 at 5:07 pm said:

The Show is definitely THE console baseball game these days. 09 will work its way into my collection eventually… especially since Petroia’s on the cover. GO SOX!

+ jakinov on March 3rd, 2009 at 5:08 pm said:

YOu guys should try and get rid of the 5GB install for MLB 10…it’s a huge turn off. Ask Naughty Dog and others for the tricks.

Use streaming techniques and duplicate your assets. ~ Betheda/ Naughty Dog

Troy Mack's Avatar

+ Troy Mack on March 3rd, 2009 at 6:52 pm said:

That was a conservative estimate. The actual install requirement is less than half that.

+ Thrasher20 on March 3rd, 2009 at 5:21 pm said:

I seen the trailers of this game, and WOW it looks so good. Though I am not a big baseball fan but MLB The Show made me think twice.

+ stallyon84 on March 3rd, 2009 at 5:32 pm said:

so for your comment earlier is MLB 09 for ps3 going to get support for PSEYE or is that just for FUTURE games??

Troy Mack's Avatar

+ Troy Mack on March 3rd, 2009 at 6:53 pm said:

Looking at it for the future. MLB 09 is complete and will not support the PSEye.

+ skynidas on March 3rd, 2009 at 5:33 pm said:

IGN review is out guys: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/959/959003p1.html

The game got an 8.7, excellent score, congrats guys!!

+ Marauderxt on March 3rd, 2009 at 5:40 pm said:

+ ShadyDa1NOnly on March 3rd, 2009 at 5:44 pm said:

I been playing RTTS all day. Cant wait for opening day for the Yankees=]. GO YANKEES!!!=D

+ lowhonor on March 3rd, 2009 at 5:45 pm said:

you guys should have picked a better looking stadium for the trailer

+ acerazer1 on March 3rd, 2009 at 5:48 pm said:

Mine is in the mail! The anticipation is killing me. Damn you amazon, I should have never preordered!

+ acerazer1 on March 3rd, 2009 at 5:53 pm said:

P.S. That trailer really rocks, best sports trailer in recent memory. And there’s a reason this gets best sports game year after year, highly recommended for every sports fan out there. Even if you’re not the biggest of baseball fans.

+ Brooklyn625 on March 3rd, 2009 at 6:02 pm said:

Excellent job Sony. Absolutely stunning sports game.

I do have a guestion. Will you be releasing any DLC via the PSN?(Like some themes or World Baseball Classic add-on)

Once again, great job. Love the batter walk up music customization feature!

Troy Mack's Avatar

+ Troy Mack on March 3rd, 2009 at 7:09 pm said:

Perfect segue into the DLC this week that kicks off this week: Beginning this week, along the MLB 09 The Show theme for your PS3 or your PSP, you\’ll be able to download themes for your favorite MLB teams. Each week through the MLB Opening Day will introduce a new set of teams.

+ MaximusPaynicus on March 3rd, 2009 at 6:45 pm said:

A.) Thanks for yet another great game. B.) Thanks for the review copy of said game. C.) I stand by my statement that this is the single best baseball sim ever released.

Troy Mack's Avatar

+ Troy Mack on March 3rd, 2009 at 7:14 pm said:

On behalf of the dev team, you\’re absolutely welcome. Thanks for the compliments.

+ D-Squad3 on March 3rd, 2009 at 3:00 pm said:

Awesome for baseball fans.

+ Gomez81 on March 3rd, 2009 at 7:04 pm said:

are the saved replays suppose to look crappy?? because on my tv, they do. it only saves res at 640x

Troy Mack's Avatar

+ Troy Mack on March 3rd, 2009 at 7:15 pm said:

Are you playing in HD?

+ liketoski on March 3rd, 2009 at 7:14 pm said:

Awesome but I agree that the graphics don’t look that great. I’m gonna get it and the 2K baseball game sucks, but I think the lighting for the graphics is a little too high to make it really realistic. It’s that or lower graphic games have a darker color to everything.

Troy Mack's Avatar

+ Troy Mack on March 3rd, 2009 at 7:19 pm said:

Again, playing in HD? If you and Gomez81 aren\’t, you really ought to take a gander at this thing in that environment. Stunning. But don\’t take my word for it: confirm for yourself in the boards, forums and reviews. And if you\’re tv won\’t support HD, maybe try your computer at GameTrailers.com

+ jaybiv on March 3rd, 2009 at 7:23 pm said:

This game is awesome! Great jobs guys. Love the attention to details, i.e. accurate out-of-town scorboards, fans walking around the park and the time of day changes.

But I have to agree with #39, the saved replays look horrible.

+ hvy20 on March 3rd, 2009 at 7:29 pm said:

Wish football games would look like this

+ Snake--Eyez on March 3rd, 2009 at 7:42 pm said:

The graphics look amazing i don’t know what you guys are talking about.

+ xeno3d on March 3rd, 2009 at 7:45 pm said:

Man, I have been waiting for this gave form months now. I picked it up today and am completely blown away. Thanks for making such an awesome game!

+ xeno3d on March 3rd, 2009 at 7:45 pm said:

Yeah.. disregard the typos in my above post..

+ swissmr on March 3rd, 2009 at 7:54 pm said:

You ten year sony anniversary is coming up!! are they gonna give you a watch?…seems like just yesturday.
Go Toreros!! ah the old days…remember that party in 89 when we had to talk the cop out of arresting us.

+ sandule on March 3rd, 2009 at 8:00 pm said:

Troy, first off all let me say that I love this game and consider it to be the best baseball title of all time. Cudos to the dev team.
Secondly, I would like to state that as a baseball fanatic living in Australia, it is very frustrating not having the game released here. I play in the Australian leagues and there are so many people who would buy a ps3 if this game was released here.
Thirdly, is there a development email where we can make comments for MLB 10. I have played baseball all year round my whole life and have played pro and semi-pro ball in the US, Europe and now Australia. I have noticed a few minor details that I think would cement MLB the show’s place at the top of all sports titles. Thanks again for listening and thanks again for a great game.

+ Poopypirate on March 3rd, 2009 at 8:09 pm said:

This is the best ball game around

+ cLOLe on March 3rd, 2009 at 8:19 pm said:

I hope the developers aren’t taking some of these kiddies too seriously. The game is great. I’m one of the few people that understand a game like The Show can’t simply add everything in one foul swoop in a season. And I look forward to the additions of 2010, 2011, 2012 and so on until we (developers included) have the complete game we’re all dying for.

So far it’s great, the online play is pretty solid. (Though playing in real stadiums still seems laggy, especially the new Yankee Stadium {though I’m willing to chalk that up to ‘new game/new servers’ for a couple weeks}). It’s realistic enough that my timing is screwed up, since the pacing is different from 08.

But otherwise it’s great, a lot of little subtleties that are amazing.

Plus it’s terribly fun to do the full laid-out dives with infielders after they’ve already caught the ball. :D

My one complaint is the voice chat in 09. L3 is a terrible choice for a button to use. But otherwise, awesome.

+ kimbo3 on March 3rd, 2009 at 8:47 pm said:

anyone have any idea when the new rosters will be out or are they already?
not having varitek with my red sox is killing me!!

+ buggs1a on March 3rd, 2009 at 8:52 pm said:

where are the hall of famer players? in 08 the show they were in the rewards screen but not there in 09 the show. where are they?

+ Keysersoze10033 on March 3rd, 2009 at 8:54 pm said:

Hey Troy,
will these themes you mentioned be free or premium? I hope you say free. Any NY Yankees themes coming out?

Anyway, great game, I bought it earlier :).

Troy Mack's Avatar

+ Troy Mack on March 3rd, 2009 at 10:34 pm said:

Free. NYY yep – along with every other MLB team. Keep checking back to see which teams are posted week to week.

+ viprdude on March 3rd, 2009 at 8:56 pm said:

Damn there are some serious trolls in this blog comment posts.

I have bought 07 and 08 MLB The Show and you can guarantee I will buy 09 The Show asap! Thank you for an incredible game that is the best baseball sim ever created. PSEye support would be pointless, the graphics in the faces alone probably surpass what possible resolution the PSEye is capable of.

The game is awesome and whoever has comments saying the graphics are bad needs a new TV or eyes, ASAP.

HAHAHA @ #19 getting owned by Mack.

Where is my Phillies World Series Theme at????????

Troy Mack's Avatar

+ Troy Mack on March 3rd, 2009 at 10:34 pm said:

Phillies theme… coming…

+ acerazer1 on March 3rd, 2009 at 9:32 pm said:

Yeah 19, no offense but when NHL09 is “picked”, it’s usually picked by the same people who pick Madden over MLB08. I mean, c’mon, they’ve obviously never even played MLB08, Madden hasn’t changed since 1998.

+ JhonRauly on March 3rd, 2009 at 9:34 pm said:

Hi…i come here to get news about ps3 games like most of the time but i have never left a comment before and the reason im posting one rigt now is to know why cant i play my Own MUSIC while playin MLB the show 09….i dont wanna listen to my music on the menu…i want to be able to listen to it playing the game cuz i use my ps3 for my stereo system. now can u guys fix this plz??…thankz

+ famousmortimer on March 3rd, 2009 at 10:40 pm said:

Thanks for posting here Troy, it’s nice to get some insight from someone in the industry.

First I’ll butter you up with kudos. IMO, MLB 08 was the best single player sports game I’ve ever played. It was absolutely amazing. The 6+ hours I spent with 09 today was even better. A baseball game takes a good 30-40 games played to really get a feel for how good it is (and for the crap to start popping out), but I can safely say that this game is atleast on par with last year’s effort, and seems to be much better than it in many areas.

But. And it’s a big BUT! Online play is pretty much unplayable. It was last year and so far today it has been this year. Well, let me take that back, I played one game today that was lag free… and it was amazing. But the other 3 I played were lag city. And among my friends who got the game I seem to be the only one that had even 1 lag free experience.

Is this opening day jitters or did you guys just not work on the net code? Don’t get me wrong, even if this game didn’t have online play i would have still bought it this morning and I would (and will) enjoy it all summer. But solid online play seems to be the one thing holding this back from being perfect.

+ Hitman3315 on March 4th, 2009 at 12:05 am said:

Played the game for 4+ hours tonight, and I’m extremely impressed. The realism of the player models and individualized stances/windups/motions, the smooth gameplay with deep animations, and the various season modes are all incredible.

My only gripe… some of the uniforms are inaccurate. The Dodgers numbers are way too thick, the BP jerseys on several teams are incorrect, and I’ve spotted a few other errors that aren’t completely true to the ’09 uniforms. For a gaming franchise that prides itself on realism, this is unacceptable.

Other than that… well worth the $60.

+ UH1HUEYHOG on March 3rd, 2009 at 9:35 pm said:

these trophies are pretty ludicrous. 50 game winning streak?? come on now.

+ JoE5005 on March 3rd, 2009 at 11:12 pm said:

Will definitely be picking this game up within the next week or so. Thanks for this awesome game. Go Rangers!

+ TheHater2 on March 4th, 2009 at 12:15 am said:

Why can’t you guys put this much care into your Basketball game? Sony basketball game is the worst out of the three. As for this game, there is not comparison to other baseball games. This series is king.

+ tad_banyon on March 4th, 2009 at 3:17 am said:

This game is practically unplayable.
For example, under the New menu->Front End->Draft Enhancements… 4th line down… “We’ve added in the Rule 5 draft that takes place is Decemeber…”
How can I play a game that doesn’t even spell December correctly?
If they can’t get that right, how can I trust that A-Rod’s steroid use will be factored in?
Alright I admit it, I love this game, even if you guys can’t spell for @#$%

+ kofilaate74 on March 4th, 2009 at 3:31 am said:

Love the game guys! However, I’ve seen a couple of glitches that I wanted to address, to make sure they were common.

The very first game I played was O’s vs Nats, and the pitching coach for the O’s came out with his jacket which was completely orange, then it kept flickering back and forth to the black Orioles jacket. I saw something similar in the demo where the Phillies’ pitching coach was black, but he had white hands (creepy!)

Second, the intro to Minute Maid Park, you know the fly by through the left field wall? Well the wall was invisible, as opposed to last year when it appeared like you were looking over the field from the left field porch. This year it seems like we’re floating around.

Third, Josh Hamilton hit a homerun in Minute Maid Park so hard that it went through the upper left field wall. What happened to the collision detection for Minute Maid, it was in last year’s game?

Yeah I know, those complaints are minor and petty in the grand scheme of things, but again, I wanted to make sure that nothing was wrong with my disc. If these anomalies are universal I can deal with it.

Again, great game, can’t wait to play more tonight!

+ SwiftnShady on March 4th, 2009 at 4:01 am said:

Every year this game gets me. I’m not even much of a baseball fan. But bring on the sun tan lotion, the mini skirts, and the smell of hot dogs in the air…and something about baseball and this game just call out to me. Oh, and i guess the bad ass graphics dont hurt. Consider me at the plate, ready to get me some. ;)

+ tad_banyon on March 4th, 2009 at 4:29 am said:

I wish I could figure out how to throw the ball to first base as a pitcher in RTTS. I assumed pushing the O button would work, but the pitcher spins around and hurls it to 3rd. And if I try to outsmart it and press the square instead (3rd base), he throws it to 2nd. Very frustrating

+ NEfanman on March 4th, 2009 at 4:30 am said:

Picked up a copy yesterday. Gameplay is a A++++++ as usual. On-Line play is horrific at this point with the lag. Lets hope this gets fixed quickly.

Sounds of the game was ok, added a couple of chants. Was dissapointed that the ping bar online does not show until you actually accept a game (team selection screen). Don’t see where on-line headset chat is an option…don’t think it is. Also I thought this was going to be full 1080….still optimized at 720?? Ugh!!!

Minor issues, great looking game that gives you a lot more animations, cut scenes and variation of hits vs. the demo. I know because I absolutely exhausted the demo, a ton more on the full version.

Troy Mack's Avatar

+ Troy Mack on March 4th, 2009 at 8:26 am said:

Check L3 for chat. You can absolutely play the game in 1080p (many on the threads have been saying they love it) but the default optimization is 720p.

+ rodperezto on March 4th, 2009 at 5:26 am said:

This looks truly amazing. I am waiting for my copy as I live in Europe and imported it. I have 2 questions; hopefully they’ll get answered:
1. Is it really true that, being a batter, you’ll be able to recognize the pitch depending on the arm angle?? If so, are there any batting drills to help you with this?
2. Do you know why it isn’t possible to import this game (As stated before I live in Europe) from the most established online stores? At least the ones you offer as options in your website can only be shipped to the US. I’ve seen other games which do allow it (including that other game from the competition, but who’d want to import that, eh?).
Anyway, yeah it’d be nice to get an answer.
MLB 08 made me play baseball games again (Started off with the MLB Baseball from Intellivision). Awesome job! I can’t wait to play this. I feel like a little kid all over again.

+ Someguyyyyyy on March 4th, 2009 at 6:33 am said:

Once I get tired of kicking Helghast butt, I will be picking this puppy for sure. Game looks great guys! Keep the new features coming every year!

+ TheBigBadWolf76 on March 4th, 2009 at 7:09 am said:

Why can’t I log in and upload a picture on
mlb09theshow.com? I go into the home page and it will not let me do anything.

Please help……….

+ GAME-HERO on March 4th, 2009 at 7:15 am said:

Does it have TROPHIES?

Troy Mack's Avatar

+ Troy Mack on March 4th, 2009 at 8:27 am said:

Absolutely. Build you can start building your trophy case today.