LittleBigPlanet 3

NBC Universal Premieres on PSN Today

Grace Chen's Avatar + Posted by Grace Chen on Mar 10, 2009 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Store

PlayStation Store video homepage

Hi Everyone -

We are very excited to announce that as of today, PlayStation Network will offer movies and television programs from NBC Universal. Universal Pictures has a huge lineup of new releases, including MILK and ROLE MODELS, and other favorites like THE 40-YEAR OLD VIRGIN and THE BIG LEBOWSKI. Today’s announcement makes PlayStation Network the premiere platform for downloading your favorite content from all the major movie studios.

You’ve been asking for it, and now we have it….. NBC’s THE OFFICE, HEROES and 30 ROCK as well as Sci Fi’s BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and EUREKA are also available starting today. New episodes will be added the day after they air, in both HD and SD.

Keep checking out all of the great new movies and shows because we are continuously adding more movies, series and episodes. Enjoy!

+ Marauderxt on March 10th, 2009 at 11:56 am said:

Can you please add a subscription as an option to the video store? paying for some of these shows/movies is getting expensive.

+ Utmost-Nutszo on March 10th, 2009 at 11:57 am said:

I’ve been waiting for NBC Universal content to show up. There are only 3 hours of BSG left, but I guess better late than never.

+ isolatebody on March 10th, 2009 at 11:59 am said:

This is great, unless watching current shows cost money, since I’m able to watch at NBC.com for free.

+ Utmost-Nutszo on March 10th, 2009 at 12:02 pm said:

@51, I completely agree.

I don’t have any sort of disability (for lack of a better word) to which I require closed-captioned content, but as an interactive designer, I’m all about making things I design accessible to as many as possible.

In the next 1-2 years, it’s going to be law that all web video content be accessible in some way to everyone.

+ Spyroluver88 on March 10th, 2009 at 12:02 pm said:

I was wondering if the video store is going to make it’s way onto the PSP. I know I can transfer them but it would be a cool feature and a selling point for the PSP, if it were directly available. Not every PSP Owner has a PS3.
Also, could you tell me why the PSN allows you to re-download a game or something you have purchased but not the video service?
I really don’t understand it. Especially since if you want to keep buying content.

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Grace Chen on March 10th, 2009 at 1:44 pm said:

For the PSP owners that don\’t have a PS3, you can download and transfer movies/tv shows with the PC-based application Media Manager. It gives you access to the PSP games store as well as all of the standard def movies & tv shows in the video store. Go to us.playstation.com/psn/mediamanager to download the app. Log in with your PSN account to see all the content.

+ KSPRAYDAD on March 10th, 2009 at 12:04 pm said:

@105…

PSP Video Store was announced for summer 09 I beleive.

As to your other question…I ask EVERY week without EVER getting an answer.

+ JuniorCortorreal on March 10th, 2009 at 12:04 pm said:

Great news thanks grace!!
would you happen to know when the playstation video store is coming to canada as well as PSN cards? feeling left out over here.

+ friman99 on March 10th, 2009 at 12:12 pm said:

two words. that’s hot.

+ makingdamage on March 10th, 2009 at 12:14 pm said:

I don´t know how to communicate with SCEE (they surely ain´t got a webiste like this), so I ask like other already have done before me: when will we in Europe be able to dl movies and tv-shows?

Also, do you guys know why SCEE don´t want to communicate with their fans? Otherwise, they would have a website like this.

Keep up the good work fellas!

+ CrystalX3D on March 10th, 2009 at 12:17 pm said:

Well, the selection pales in comparison to the 30 shows that Fox has as well as the NBC stuff up on iTunes, but at least this is a step in the right direction. Now lets just work on getting ABC onboard so we can watch Lost!

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on March 10th, 2009 at 12:19 pm said:

Finally, this is good news, but still need to allow to buy whole season TV Shows/Season Pass, more HD TV Shows, DRM on Videos be like the Games DRMs, subtitles is a must and if possible more than one language, especially on foreign movies, I’d rather watch a movie on their original language.

+ Ramses_13 on March 10th, 2009 at 12:19 pm said:

Freaking sweet, NBC Universal owns like every damn network and film company. Thanx Sony for snagging them, that will keep 360 fanboys at bay.

+ The1stMJC on March 10th, 2009 at 12:22 pm said:

Yes The Office is on PSN looks like I will buy

+ coppi6976 on March 10th, 2009 at 12:26 pm said:

Sweet!!!!!!!!It keeps getting better and better. Keep up the good work. Now get on all those HBO series, ENTOURAGE please!!!!!!!!!!!

+ CrystalX3D on March 10th, 2009 at 12:26 pm said:

We still need CBS as well. ABC and CBS then we’re able to compete with the other online stores.

+ EriduMadis on March 10th, 2009 at 12:28 pm said:

Nice!

+ Ramses_13 on March 10th, 2009 at 12:28 pm said:

what the heck my avatar is missing.

+ Jezer29 on March 10th, 2009 at 12:35 pm said:

I just love how the PSN is growing and evolving.. Watch out now! muah ha ha ha ha *rubs hands* My team is building.. Lol

+ Jetup on March 10th, 2009 at 12:49 pm said:

Thanks, Sony *cries in joy*

+ jeffsmither on March 10th, 2009 at 12:52 pm said:

Are we going to get Ghost Hunters too?

+ Syndicate3 on March 10th, 2009 at 1:08 pm said:

Hulu.com

While i love PSN and what youguys are doing with them, i also find it disrespectful with some pricing of it. Im sure profits could be so much better with cheaper pricing, increasing sales.

+ ManaKnight on March 10th, 2009 at 1:08 pm said:

OMG this is good news. Does this mean Universal Music Group (although slightly differently owned) is going to start supporting the SingStore sometime?

+ KingOfHearts on March 10th, 2009 at 1:09 pm said:

Well we ever get free TV shows? Like cartoons on cartoon network?

+ Thrasher20 on March 10th, 2009 at 1:12 pm said:

Dude that is awesome!

+ Syndicate3 on March 10th, 2009 at 1:13 pm said:

just saved some of you $1.99

+ CinderShadow on March 10th, 2009 at 1:15 pm said:

Sarcasm. I’m not going to waste it. Or repeat the complaints of a bunch of other posters.

+ KazeEternal on March 10th, 2009 at 1:25 pm said:

It’s about Frakin time you got battlestar on the store.

+ Dehshizknight on March 10th, 2009 at 1:29 pm said:

Oh heck yes, the Office!

Any chance of seasonal purchases? I hate paying for individual episodes…

+ KazeEternal on March 10th, 2009 at 1:36 pm said:

Any possibility of us getting Battlestar Galactica Razor which was apart of the Season 4 Episode order?

+ gdinero on March 10th, 2009 at 1:37 pm said:

Your interface sucks.
(1) I can’t find the movies I want to see
(2) I can’t store a queue anyhow
(3) I can’t see movie titles from across a room (10′) on a 42″ screen, nevermind the 27″ screen in my bedroom
(4) I have zero interest in ever buying a movie; that tab should be removed for me

I should be able to manage a queue on the internet and choose from it when home, like Netflix on demand.

Your pricing is not attractive, nor comeptitive; blockbuster has moved to redbox pricing in the Dallas area where I am, and it’s $2 for a blueray 1-day rental. and with that, I am not responsible for providing a broadband internet conntection at my own dime.

I have sat down, wanted to rent a movie, and thought about doing that from the PSN store. It was an exercise in futility. Content is not your main problem.

+ BigPoppaB on March 10th, 2009 at 1:42 pm said:

Canada. What about Canada.

+ singhjeet29 on March 10th, 2009 at 1:44 pm said:

You guys fail, yes FAIL for not getting it to Canada, yeah I know the law is not the same, but seriously, you guys have had more than enough time to get it here and get through the legal process. iTunes has their store and you guys still can’t manage? WTF

+ FrankG on March 10th, 2009 at 1:48 pm said:

Canada, canada, Canada… Why are we left behind…

+ verafx on March 10th, 2009 at 1:56 pm said:

i love battlestar galactica, dope news!!!! :)

+ bob52 on March 10th, 2009 at 2:03 pm said:

Sony dont leave ur friends up north without the PSN video store.
Canada FTW

+ ThomasAnthony on March 10th, 2009 at 2:07 pm said:

When will a Linux Version of the Media Manager for PSP come out?

+ ThomasAnthony on March 10th, 2009 at 2:10 pm said:

For the Linux version I had another note,
WINE does not work with the Media Manager the last time I tried. Even just taking out the making us use Windows part would be nice. (there’s a check to see if its Windows instead of just running).

+ TanZong on March 10th, 2009 at 2:17 pm said:

While this is cool and all to have more content…..I can just go to NBC.com to watch the television show (HEROES, The Office, etc.) for FREE. And I believe they off their shows in both SD & HD. The addition of Universal movies is nice though. But as long as there is Hulu, and other streaming video sites, I will never spend a dime through the PSN for TV shows.

+ KazeEternal on March 10th, 2009 at 2:17 pm said:

@130
You’re probably the only person on the face of the planet with those problems. Either that or you have really lousy SDTVs.

Pricing yes could be improved, but half the stuff you want is either unnecessary or irrelevant. Believe me I have my issues with the PSN Video store, but not so much that I’d never rent from the PlayStation Store.

+ btz on March 10th, 2009 at 2:20 pm said:

Dear Sony,

Do you like money? I have money for you!

Best regards
Europe

+ appleuy on March 10th, 2009 at 2:21 pm said:

Playstation network continues to impress week after week. Thank you and keep it coming.

+ DaddyDeath on March 10th, 2009 at 2:28 pm said:

Yay! The Office!

+ KingSmashy on March 10th, 2009 at 2:30 pm said:

Watching a movie in HD without surround sound is pointless. I will never rent/buy another movie without it.

+ whooop on March 10th, 2009 at 2:32 pm said:

Ill never pay to rent a movie through psn while HULU is free and TORRENTZ is FREE. THese episodes can easily be downloaded for free on the net and put on 8gb USB card then placed in PS3 USB

+ KSPRAYDAD on March 10th, 2009 at 2:52 pm said:

Grace, thanks for taking the time to answer SOME questions this week. Any chance you can answer the re-download question that is posed to you about 30 times a week since the inception of the video store?

A simple ‘it is what it is’ or ‘we are hoping to address you concerns shortly’ would be great.

+ MUGEN02 on March 10th, 2009 at 2:54 pm said:

Even though I would never buy anything in the video store I would expect a fast download speed if I would. PSN’s slow ~300kb’s download speed is horrible compared to the competition and has been the same since the PS3′s launch.

+ ADR143 on March 10th, 2009 at 2:54 pm said:

nice!

+ wanted1978 on March 10th, 2009 at 2:56 pm said:

Please please please answer my question.
When will video store will be available in European store and Middle East store?

+ AwRy108 on March 10th, 2009 at 3:00 pm said:

Lots of this stuff would be great, except the lack of DRM association with our PSN accounts is a deal breaker. What happens if I buy a bunch of content, then my PS3 HDD fails? Ever think of this, SONY?

+ KazeEternal on March 10th, 2009 at 3:01 pm said:

@144
Torrents (not torrentz) for the purpose of distributing copyrighted material is illegal under the Digital Millennium Act of 1998 passed under the Clinton Administration (along with mod chips). Which really isn’t a valid argument. These TV shows now require sales via Bluray, DVD, and DLC in order to continue supporting their continued airing on TV. Good Example of this is Battlestar Galactica.

Torrent technology is a wonderful concept, but with that technology comes responsibility and you’re not being very responsible with it. While I do use Torrents to catch episodes I’ve missed since life doesn’t conform to a TV schedule, I do purchase my shows on DVD and now Bluray (HURRY UP UNIVERSAL!!!). Not that they are available on the PSN I may just buy the ones I miss since they are cheap enough.