Final Fantasy VII Remake

Mar 19

I Came To Bring The PAIN

Jason Coker's Avatar Posted by Jason Coker on Mar 19, 2009 // Associate Producer, SCEA

My Peoples, it’s no secret that PAIN is the People’s Game. Our community has asked us for certain features or types of gameplay, and we’ve taken that feedback and turned it into modes, characters, bug fixes, and so on. No doubt, continued development of PAIN is a time-consuming process filled with pitfalls and turmoil, but in the end, it seems to be working out for the best. We never seem to be able to give you enough content quickly enough, but we get some quality feedback every time we release new content (not just praise – constructive criticism is welcome, too).

PAIN was never designed with online play in mind. The sheer number of active objects flying around at any given time during a single launch is ridiculous to process, and then when you factor in the possibility of each of those objects hitting another object – perhaps an exploding one – the situation becomes even nuttier. With that in mind, we were a bit stupefied when the People said that they wanted PAIN online. That is by no means a small task, but somehow the evil geniuses at Idol Minds have managed to pull it off, and the patch is now live. The patch is free, and it will allow you to play all your favorite multiplayer PAIN Modes against your buddies online. You can get your text chat on, of course, but it wouldn’t be PAIN without being able to talk trash, so we’ve included voice chat as well. Personally, I think that getting a strike or even a spare in PAIN Bowling with Jarvis’ L2 + X pose says more than I ever could, but it’s your world.

We’re about to drop the Smack Pack on you (sold separately), which includes the Darts and Fortress game Modes. As I’m sure you know, traditional Darts wouldn’t be suitable for PAIN. We wouldn’t dare make something as simple as launching a character into an oversized dartboard. Instead, you have to launch you character toward a giant sticky billboard with multiple bullseyes painted on it, in the process grabbing another character (or bomb) and chucking it at the billboard. Sounds simple enough, eh? Oh, I forgot to mention the fact that your opponents have distractions to jack you up during your flight to the billboard. It makes it even more satisfying to clear the distractions and pull off a bullseye, so I hope your game is in order.

PAIN Update Screenshot Darts

Fortress is the other half of the Smack Pack, and it pits you against up to three opponents, each of you with a giant fortress on a floating platform in the sky. On offense, your task is to aim at an opponent’s fortress, launch and grab an exploding object, and chuck it at their fortress to inflict maximum damage. Every bit of damage you do costs that player points, and when their score reaches zero, that player is eliminated. Obviously, we’d never make it easy for you to do something like that, so at the beginning of each game, every player gets a chance to select their defenses, which range from everything from reinforcements that toughen up your walls, to flying mailboxes and cereal that knock launching enemies out of play, to blue screens that fly up and take out enemies and/or their projectiles. Fortress is a blast to play (no pun intended), so make sure your trash talk is ready.

PAIN Update Screenshot Fortress

Like all of the current offline multiplayer Modes in PAIN, Darts and Fortress are playable offline, too. In both modes, the various objects and distractions in the game depend on the environment in which you’re playing. For example, if you’re playing Fortress in the Amusement Park, you’re grabbing and chucking exploding teddy bears. Likewise, if you’re playing Fortress in the Movie Studio, you might see some cameras being used to strengthen your opponents’ walls. Both Modes will be playable in all future environments as well.

As always, we look forward to hearing back from you all on online multiplayer once you get a taste. It’s a nice addition to the world of PAIN, and I have a feeling that everybody’s going to be “leveling up” their PAIN skills as a result of the new competition within the community. Let us know what you think. As always, we’re listening. So get out of here and GO ONLINE LATER TODAY!!!!!!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ GoldenGotGame on March 19th, 2009 at 3:13 pm said:

Thanks for the wee Leprechaun. Does this mean we’ll get Tati in a Easter (Playboy) Bunny outfit next month?

Jason Coker's Avatar

+ Jason Coker on March 19th, 2009 at 3:20 pm said:

… WILL be getting a new Tati, and you WILL be getting a bunny….

(this is me being mysterious…)

+ AdamMadman on March 19th, 2009 at 3:37 pm said:

Considering this game is unanimously one of the worst ever made for the PSN (sales mean nothing when it comes to quality), I’d say you should move on to other games. You’re clearly a one trick pony since all you do is continue to churn out overpriced content for a game that was already absurdly awful to begin with.

+ Racer_x124 on March 19th, 2009 at 3:51 pm said:

I wish I liked this game, great support..just not my thing :(

+ frequencydip on March 19th, 2009 at 3:59 pm said:

Online play at last.

What’s up with the Trophies, they are impossible to get, I cant even get one.. I don’t even play the game solo anymore because the trophies are just to difficult…

+ Unknown_Hero on March 19th, 2009 at 4:03 pm said:

I thought this was never coming, by the way my buddy was the guy who sent you the email to do darts, so 100% of the idea should be dedicated to him :p Thanks for your support and a great game. Saw the mention of a new game, cant wait to see what you guys can cook up :D

+ NITROGOD61 on March 19th, 2009 at 4:28 pm said:

its on there now

+ NonixDark on March 19th, 2009 at 4:29 pm said:

I think the idea for a game like PAIN is really cool but most of all I think that you guys have managed to really make a fun game out of it! The controls are good and smooth and everything floats on just fine when I play it and I’ve spent many hours playing it with up to 4 friends since I downloaded it (Pretty much when it was released)

Also I like that you put up David Hasselhoff as a painable character! PAIN him for ruining good songs like “Confrontation” from the musical “Jekyll & Hyde” is what he deserves xD.. I was wondering though.. Have you ever thought about adding Chuck norris as a character to the game? I think alot of people would like that xD

Jason Coker's Avatar

+ Jason Coker on March 19th, 2009 at 4:56 pm said:

Thanks, Nonix. We’re glad you like it, and there will be plenty more coming. I appreciate your comment about the idea for the game. I found that from day one, a lot of people just blew PAIN off as a “stupid experiment in physics”, but I really don’t think that’s fair at all. I tend to think that the people who go that route either A) write the game off before giving it a fair shot because they just don’t like the “idea”, B) aren’t any good at it, so they hate on it, or C) they just love to hate (never a shortage of those people around).

I’ve said many times before that not everybody is going to like every game. Heck, there are PLENTY of games out there that I’m not into. However, I don’t feel the need to write off those games as garbage. In fact, there are a lot of games that I think are great, but I’m just not into them. With PAIN, we took a simple idea and expanded on it to make it a silly, funny, and really competitive experience if you choose to go there (Best. Party game. EVAR!). Bottom line? We make the game for you and folks like you who dig it. The Haters can hate on. They always find something new to hate on. I gotta say though, Haters are certainly good for a chuckle once in a while.

As for Mr. Norris in PAIN, that’s something that a lot of people have asked for. Unfortunately, based on all of our calculations, it seems that Chuck Norrisis not only immune to pain, but he actually causes pain to be in pain, so his inclusion in a game in which the object is to put him into pain could actually cause the universe to collapse upon itself.

+ PullusPardusUS on March 19th, 2009 at 4:30 pm said:

haha the second comment talked about the game E rated, then i suddenly imagined Sackboy in the game , that doesnt look good at all xD.

say how about captain quark from Ratchet and clank in the game?

+ scobra77 on March 19th, 2009 at 4:38 pm said:

Way to maintain the Pain train! Great job supporting my fav game. Sure would be nice to launch William Shatner at a fortress…

+ PullusPardusUS on March 19th, 2009 at 4:52 pm said:

“Please consider a Home event. And, of course, a place to meet and launch into Pain.”

Haha , “Launch into Pain” , thats the most awesomest unintentional Pun i have ever read

PAGE 1 2 3