PS4 - Transistor

Smash Cars Coming to PlayStation Network

Michael Robinson's Avatar + Posted by Michael Robinson on Mar 20, 2009 // Director of Communications, Creat Studios

And like the return of your favorite seasonal sandwich at your favorite fast food restaurant, I’m back! I have the distinct honor of reporting to you, and you’re hearing it here first, that the next game to be released under the successful, critically acclaimed partnership between Creat Studios and TikGames will be (wait for it…) SMASH CARS! A follow-up to the original Smash Cars, Creat’s 2003 ‘no rules’ RC (radio-controlled) racing game, the franchise returns to PlayStation and will be available for download during the second quarter on the PlayStation Network.

Smash Cars screenshot 1

Sound interesting? Of course it does. So here’s more details: real-time physics, innovative stunts and next-generation graphics combine into a dynamic, tricked-out single and multiplayer RC car racing experience where players twist and turn, grind and gear up, performing aerial tricks and stunts while racking up trophies and points as they race to the finish, all in an unlikely location. Set on a beautiful and tranquil Mediterranean island, the fast-moving, bumper car gameplay style transforms this calm and relaxing setting into a dynamically frenzied raceway. A high-speed mini car racing game with a distinct arcade flavor, gameplay is presented from the unique perspective of a small RC vehicle, setting out to conquer the big world. Players will enjoy realistic driving physics and suspension as the tiny vehicles interact with full-size people and other beach dwellers along their path to victory.

To win the race, RC vehicles must achieve nitro-fueled rocket boosts for accelerated speed bursts by grabbing big air and pulling off gnarly tricks and jumps. Points are earned by performing the best jumps and aerial tricks, hitting dynamic obstacles, colliding with other cars, skidding and “drifting” along sharp turns, and finishing first. Players can choose from the default Monster Truck style chassis, Buggy or Sports Car configurations, and a visit to the Workshop offers players the opportunity to personalize their vehicle by selecting paint color, glass styles, and decals. Additional body styles are unlocked as players advance.

Smash Cars screenshot 2 Smash Cars screenshot 3

So, Smash Cars is part kart game, part racing game, and all awesome! So awesome, in fact, that Sony has honored us by featuring Smash Cars in their booth next week at the 2009 Game Developers Conference (GDC). See? We’re not the only ones who think the game is super duper special! I’ll let you take a few minutes to absorb this incredibly wonderful news, and if you have any questions or comments, I’ll be here for a bit to respond. Seacrest, out.

PAGE 1 2

+ TERMINATORvsMTRX on March 20th, 2009 at 7:03 am said:

woot!!!

+ lakaiHIGH on March 20th, 2009 at 7:06 am said:

looks pretty slick! can’t wait to give this one a whirl. heres to hoping its priced reasonably.

peace,
Lh

+ Ftwrthtx on March 20th, 2009 at 7:10 am said:

Will we get a chance to play the game at the GDC Blog meet up?

I hope so.

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 7:24 am said:

Not sure! But you will be able to check the game out at Sony\’s booth at GDC.

+ JordanBoi123 on March 20th, 2009 at 7:15 am said:

if its got trophies i will buy it.=]

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 7:24 am said:

Then you you are in luck! It has Trophies-o-plenty, my friend!

+ Fallen_Guardian on March 20th, 2009 at 7:20 am said:

@#4: yes, all Creat games have and will have trophies on PSN, why not check out their other titles on PSN as well? (cuboid is a must buy)

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 7:25 am said:

Hey, do you want a job in our marketing department? ;-)

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on March 20th, 2009 at 7:20 am said:

top 10 messages!alright!..lol this game looks like a cheap motor storm..i like it!..lol if the price is right and the graphics are tight i just might.

+ omnilaw on March 20th, 2009 at 7:20 am said:

does this game support remote play?

+ markstew on March 20th, 2009 at 7:20 am said:

when can i pay with something like Click&buy or paypal in Europe?
there are more debit cards within the EU than there are credit cards.

it’s sort of annoying that people are forced into a pointless system of payment.

+ PullusPardusUS on March 20th, 2009 at 7:22 am said:

i had this game! i liked it alot, now with Multiplayer and updated psychics this is going to be awesome, you guys also need to make a freestyle stunt run.

anywords on what features it will have? or should i wait for GDC?

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 7:27 am said:

We are putting out a press release with details later today, so check out your favorite gaming website or http://www.creatstudios.com later today for more info.

+ VincentVendetta on March 20th, 2009 at 7:23 am said:

Interesting.

+ DeforMAKulizer on March 20th, 2009 at 7:23 am said:

SUPER AWESOME!!!!!!!! =D
Creat you guys rock! I love your PSN games! =D
Can’t wait to see more of this, first time we get an official PS3 karting game!! W00T!!!
Thanks a million for the wonderful games, and hopefully you have some more awesome exclusive games to come! =D

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 7:28 am said:

And remember, Creat\’s PSN games love YOU!

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on March 20th, 2009 at 7:23 am said:

@7 thats a great question..this would be an aswome psp game to download. esspecially if u can also play it online on the psp. Sony can make it happen but they can also make us wait..:p

+ Fallen_Guardian on March 20th, 2009 at 7:32 am said:

@Reply Comment #5:

I wish, better paying job, than where im at now im sure lol, but yeah, you guys/gals at Creat deserve people to buy your games, while their not completely original, their fun and great PSN experiances, but if you’d like to hook me up as a beta tester that’d be awesome!

+ lecrapper on March 20th, 2009 at 7:33 am said:

too bad myself and 2 other of the 3 people I know that bought the first gen of 60GB PS3′s all have the YELLOW LIGHT OF DEATH YLOD

and have to pay SONY another $150 to play on the system we paid $600 effing dollars for, or download anything, or watch movies or anything.
screw you too, sony

+ WiiBien on March 20th, 2009 at 7:35 am said:

Will this have optional six-axis steering like GTI Club?

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 7:37 am said:

No, it won\’t. But you never know what the future might bring!

+ whiskey_14 on March 20th, 2009 at 7:35 am said:

Thanks for the replies, it’s always nice to see you guys keeping in touch with us little people!

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 7:38 am said:

Little people? Hey, without you guys, none of us here at Creat would have jobs, doing what we love. We greatly appreciate all your support!

+ FE_RR on March 20th, 2009 at 7:37 am said:

got another link that is not flickr, i don’t know why cannot see the flickr images, ¿¿it’s posible that it is IP blocked?? i’m in argentina

+ JordanBlack68 on March 20th, 2009 at 7:42 am said:

youtube support?

+ Ivan_Krazy on March 20th, 2009 at 7:42 am said:

I’m from Australia and haven’t got around to buy this game. The controls on the demo aren’t that great from my perspective. I reckon the motorstorm 1 had better handling.

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 7:47 am said:

Ummmmm….neither the game nor the demo have been released yet, so you must be thinking of the older game we put out back in 2003 for the PS2? Wait until you play the new game for the PSN – you will love it!

+ Midgetguy on March 20th, 2009 at 7:43 am said:

AMAZING!!!!

I’ve enjoyed all of the Creat Studios games on PSN so far! Keep up to GREAT work!!!!

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 7:48 am said:

Thanks so much for your support!

+ Ivan_Krazy on March 20th, 2009 at 7:45 am said:

@15

the sux axis is really bad all alone such as Wipeout and Motorstorm because its not that precise… the sux axis is only good in situations where it requires little or some movement such as heavenly sword.

+ DeforMAKulizer on March 20th, 2009 at 7:46 am said:

@19….
I think you are lost…
This is not MS 2, and its not even out… It has just been announced!

+ Ivan_Krazy on March 20th, 2009 at 7:49 am said:

Whoops guys ignore my posts….. Apologies!
Damn if I could only delete those comments.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on March 20th, 2009 at 7:50 am said:

ivan IS CRAZY..lol

+ BATTLEFACE on March 20th, 2009 at 7:51 am said:

Sounds and looks hot. How much will it cost?

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on March 20th, 2009 at 7:55 am said:

ayo micheal…is this game gonna have the crash graphics like motorstorm?..cuz that would be kool! if not..as long as the price is right and the onine is tight..i just might..:p

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 7:58 am said:

Graphics will be off the hizzle, fo shizzle, and the price will be very reasonabizzle, in line with other games of its type on the PSNizzle.

+ S-E-G on March 20th, 2009 at 8:01 am said:

Graphics really don’t look to be next gen but i will wait to see it in motion, but even then. looks cartoonish, not realistic enough for me, the console is next gen, not this game.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on March 20th, 2009 at 8:01 am said:

my nizzile!..lmao..ima cop this foshizzle!

+ Sephiroth on March 20th, 2009 at 8:03 am said:

If this game wasn’t to be as good as it looks, I’ll summon Meteor over your houses, so you better deliver ;)

+ StalkingSilence on March 20th, 2009 at 8:03 am said:

@Michael Robinson: “so check out your favorite gaming website”

May I recommend PlayStation LifeStyle for all of your Creat/TikGames news? haha we love you guys over there. I am interested in Creat’s first PSN departure from the more puzzle-oriented gameplay.

When will we hear more about Wicked Witches DLC for Magic Ball or some Cuboid expansion (with custom soundtracks!)?

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 8:24 am said:

Yo! Stay tuned for a big announcement in a couple of weeks about upcoming DLC for Cuboid, Magic Ball and Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom.

+ BUCKNAZT on March 20th, 2009 at 8:07 am said:

This looks great!…My wife Played Magic Ball for hours.

Will you be allow to customize your cars?

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 8:25 am said:

Yup! Customization is all part of the experience.

Glad your wife likes Magic Ball :-)

+ mafecto on March 20th, 2009 at 8:08 am said:

looks great! hope there’s a demo soon.

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 8:36 am said:

Yes, there will be a playable demo once the game is released :-)

+ stu123 on March 20th, 2009 at 8:10 am said:

Hi Michael looks really fun and my kind of game.I really loved revolt some years ago too which was very similar to your game,i dont know if youve heard of revolt but they were alot of indoor locations in it such as supermarkets are they indoor locations in smash cars or is it just outside?

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 8:37 am said:

Outside only. I will be putting a link up shortly to a press release with full details.

+ Kenshin71 on March 20th, 2009 at 8:26 am said:

Will this game get a (near) simultaneous worldwide release or will it be released in dribs and drabs across territories further segmenting the PS3 market?

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 8:38 am said:

Smash Cars will be released worldwide in all Sony territories; however, you should know that some regions take longer to roll games out, but I don\’t expect that to be more than an extra week or two. No matter when it hits, it will be worth the wait!

+ Tigerriot on March 20th, 2009 at 8:27 am said:

Looks like it could be really fun. Can’t wait to hear more about it.

+ IIIKAGEIII on March 20th, 2009 at 8:31 am said:

i’ve finished magic ball… good game. hopefully this game is as good. looks like it could use a bit of work on the textures though.

what sets this game apart from games ilke super robotic powered battle cars?

+ Thwip on March 20th, 2009 at 8:31 am said:

Looks like a lot of fun! These are exactly the type of PSN games that appeal to me. I would also like to hear if the game will support remote play. Not a deal breaker by any means, but a nice feature non the less.

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 8:43 am said:

No plans for remote play at this point, sorry!

+ haz360 on March 20th, 2009 at 8:33 am said:

sounds awesome, can’t wait. will it have both online & offline (splitscreen?) support?

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 8:45 am said:

Only online multiplayer – up to 6 players!! No splitscreen.

+ angelcoma on March 20th, 2009 at 8:33 am said:

Looks good, I only play Arcade style racers. So I hope this is like the off road Outrun/Burnout… is it the off road version of those games?

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 8:49 am said:

It\’s definitely an arcade style racer. Tricks and stunts are as important to winning as speed, so I think you will really enjoy this game.

+ jncasanova on March 20th, 2009 at 8:38 am said:

Does it has battle mode or something different than racing? I miss that kind of games!

And what about multiplayer? online multiplayer? 4 player split screen? I would really enjoy that.

+ CheckMark on March 20th, 2009 at 8:38 am said:

This game looks awesome! Creat has become my favorite PSN publisher with your amazing-looking, easy to pick-up-and-play games. That reminds me – I need to play some more Cuboid this weekend.

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 9:02 am said:

You might just be Creat Studios\’ favorite customer!

+ remanutd5 on March 20th, 2009 at 8:39 am said:

well you can call me a motorstorm fanboy and your game looks a little bit like it so im so getting it for sure

+ makingdamage on March 20th, 2009 at 8:46 am said:

Looks cool! Is it like that old nintendo 8 bit game Pro am but in 3d?

+ DJ_DTM on March 20th, 2009 at 8:52 am said:

Kind of reminds me of reality TV shows I produce called RC/TV Canada Perhaps we could do a segment on how this game was put together..
I love anything RC!

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 8:57 am said:

Cool! Feel free to contact me via the Creat Studios website to discuss.

+ jedi_webslinger on March 20th, 2009 at 8:53 am said:

Will this have offline multiplayer? The game looks awesome

+ Vengeful-Chaos on March 20th, 2009 at 8:54 am said:

By any chance Michael Robinson are you on a sugar high?

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 9:01 am said:

twenty-fo seven, baby!

+ TheHater2 on March 20th, 2009 at 8:55 am said:

dammit I hate racing games. Why o why does it have to be a racing game :(

Anyway, if the price is $9.99 then I would buy it just to support you guys for supporting the Playstation community.

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 9:04 am said:

It\’s as much of a kart game as it is a racing game. Performing tricks to get power/speed bursts is the only way to win the race. I think you just might like it!

+ hife on March 20th, 2009 at 8:56 am said:

Man, I don’t think this is my kind of game, but I’m tempted to buy just because of Michael’s hilarious and informative responses.

If I don’t buy this, you can count on my money for the Cuboid DLC at least.

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 9:05 am said:

Hilarious and informative? I\’ve been called a lot of things before, but never hilarious or informative.

Thanks for your support, and the Cuboid DLC is going to be crazy good.

+ Hsanrb on March 20th, 2009 at 8:56 am said:

I haven’t really enjoyed any of Creat Studios other titles, Cuboid disappointed me heavily, Mahjong is something I have played too many iterations of in the past to repurchase and Magic Ball is something I’d never buy because its more like Breakout then my favorite Paddle and ball game Warlords…

Though I am looking for a decent arcade racing title for my PS3 and this has my interest since some reason the nice folks at Sega apparently canceled the US release of Outrun Arcade for the PS3 and that news put a gigantic dent in my arcade racing heart.

Sadly though, I think this might need a convincing demo since Club GTI was really decent off the PSN (outside of 1 track, but the game play was perfect)

+ Michael Robinson on March 20th, 2009 at 9:08 am said:

Convincing demo will be available at launch.

+ DeathGazer on March 20th, 2009 at 9:01 am said:

That looks great. And it has youtube upoading? Niiiice.

Keep the PSN love coming!

PAGE 1 2