PS4-The Order

God of War Developer Interview #1 – Game Director Stig Asmussen Answers Your Questions

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Mar 23, 2009 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Right before God of War III’s first playthrough was revealed to the media, we asked you: If you could ask the development team anything, what would it be? I then scribbled your queries onto a card and ran off to the event. We rolled camera, and since we’re now at GDC week, what better time to meet the team and get those questions answered?

So here we are, the first of five videos, beginning with a familiar face: Stig Asmussen, God of War III’s Game Director answers your questions, ranging from the game’s accessibility, influences, and what the power of the PS3 allows the team to do.

+ TRIX_BOL on March 23rd, 2009 at 6:08 pm said:

@Jeff.

Hey, are we getting the chance to watch the demo trailer that was shown at GDC09 *here* in the Blog?

Then if we do, can you also tell the PlayStation Network team to upload it onto the PlayStation Store?
—–

I am with you Jeff, this is the greatest looking game I’ve ever seen after Killzone 2.

+ ATOMS11 on March 23rd, 2009 at 6:15 pm said:

“Better then anything I have ever seen !” Wow ! I cant wait to see this…

+ Gringo234 on March 23rd, 2009 at 6:43 pm said:

Sound awesome.

+ Bubuli on March 23rd, 2009 at 6:44 pm said:

“…one thing’s certain: when you pick up the controller…Kratos…feels like Kratos.”

Um…WHAT? What on earth does that even mean? I know this producer is trying to make us feel confident that they are doing what’s best for the franchise…but…GAWD…why are they compelled to spew out garbage like this? what’s wrong with something simple like, “we’re trying to our best not to disappoint the beginners and the seasoned GoW gamers alike.”?

+ Jim777 on March 23rd, 2009 at 6:46 pm said:

So so so so so so so cool i cant wait

+ iExile on March 23rd, 2009 at 7:06 pm said:

Jeff please ask Stig or whoever from the God of War team for me. Will it be 60 frames per second like the previous entries in the series? Thanks!

+ iExile on March 23rd, 2009 at 7:12 pm said:

@ Bubulli: Clearly he’s reaching out to the fans and telling them that Kratos is back and they haven’t changed anything about him. When you pick up the controller it’ll feel just like the old days (with better animations obviously). I don’t see what the big deal is honestly.

+ Hokage_45678 on March 23rd, 2009 at 7:34 pm said:

Plz Answer These Question’s

The Collectors Edition What Will It Have And Will It Be Available?

Q.2 Will We Have A Playabel Demo, Tropies And Downloadable Content For This Game?

Thanks

+ mckg123456789 on March 23rd, 2009 at 7:44 pm said:

sweet post, CANT WAIT 4 GOD OF WAR 3 !!

+ Mikoid1 on March 23rd, 2009 at 8:05 pm said:

Man, why does this game have to come out next year? This series is one of the best ever. And judging by the awesome final bosses of the last two games, Zeus will be the final boss and will have a beard of lightning, one of the only things more awesome than a beard of fire.

+ K6U1R5D on March 23rd, 2009 at 8:07 pm said:

does any body else think that Keith Jardine looks like Kratos?

+ syk1288 on March 23rd, 2009 at 8:12 pm said:

Does it get tiring holding up the mic for Stig?

He does have very long answers.

+ Dante989 on March 23rd, 2009 at 8:15 pm said:

that question about the fighting… when he mentioned PoP… that’s a similar question to what i gave as a tip when u guys needed us to give u questions to ask…
nice to know i got a response on that

+ WEAPON20X on March 23rd, 2009 at 8:44 pm said:

he look like Dave Spadaro from philadelphiaeagles.com (he runs the site and blogs) I should know I live in Philly! LOL!

+ BigDoggtheHood on March 23rd, 2009 at 9:00 pm said:

i hope they keep making more of these games

+ scorpio182 on March 23rd, 2009 at 9:44 pm said:

I am so pumped for this game. Plays all previous 3 GOW games.

Great interview keep the news coming…

GOW on PS3 WTF!!! WOOHOOO!!!

+ afrosheen on March 23rd, 2009 at 10:22 pm said:

Wow. I find it hard to believe that Stig was saying they haven’t decided what powers to give you from the beginning. A decision like this trickles down into every single piece of level design from the very beginning. I.e. if you start with the Icarus wings, there will be flying sections all over the place. However if you get them at say, level 5, levels 1-4 won’t require flying.

Puzzling bit of info from Stig here, and makes me think this game is due for March of next year.

+ D_David_US on March 23rd, 2009 at 10:39 pm said:

I was a proud PS3 owner and I’m getting more proud. a pile of games is raining on me in 2009.. :p

+ somethingatt on March 23rd, 2009 at 10:51 pm said:

Awesome interview, thank you both.

+ kdiep on March 24th, 2009 at 12:22 am said:

Any chance you would tell us who you’ve interviewed. Obviously there’s Stig Asmussen the director and in one of the comments you mentioned the battle director (name please). I’m a big fan of the God Of War series and I’ve watched all the “making of” featurettes that were on both GoW1 and GoW2 and so I always get happy when I see some familiar faces.

Like when I first heard Stig Asmussen become the director, I couldn’t be more satisfied. Anyway since you’re probably at GDC now, why not do an interview with David Jaffe as well. I hear he’s going to be featured on ListenUp (new 1up yours podcast) and GameTrailers’ Bonus Round, so why not hear as well.

Anyway I know I’m a bit demanding for being essentially a nobody, but please believe I’m very grateful for these interviews. I love them. Keep it up and I keep coming back.

+ jmd749 on March 24th, 2009 at 2:17 am said:

excellent interview. keep’em coming jeff.;)
i’m so amped for GOW3 it isn’t even funny.
STIG if you’re reading this, please make the collector’s edition as kick ass as possible.
1 figurine/action figure with movable parts
2 hard covered art book, with lots of background info to read, 50 pages minimum.:)
3 high-def behind the scenes/making of bluray disc, with hours of content
4 kick ass packaging
5 kick ass artwork on the packaging and disc
6 extra in-game costumes
7 a t-shirt, with kickass graphics
8 please, don’t do a ps3 bundle with special artwork on the console, cause i’ll go bankrupt.:(
that’s my 2 cents.

+ EL_Hintern on March 24th, 2009 at 3:02 am said:

@ Jeff:

Now please go and make an interview with Hitman developers Io-Interactive ;) please please please

+ MiiAmigo on March 24th, 2009 at 4:38 am said:

I wish Jaffe could still be contacted for some input on this one. I really dug the whole Kratos had a brother thing and also the idea of modern day soldiers going into the Pandora’s Box Temple from the 1st game.

+ Peppino7 on March 24th, 2009 at 5:29 am said:

Nice interview. Keep them coming! :)

+ Arthael_ on March 24th, 2009 at 6:00 am said:

Thanks.

Will we see the game at the GDC ?

+ FFF777 on March 24th, 2009 at 6:18 am said:

Thanks.

+ bigbossjr on March 24th, 2009 at 8:16 am said:

I can’t wait for GOW3, what a great series. I’m guessing Sony is going to do a system bundle like the PSP version. Imagine a red PS3.

+ AlphaBravoCandy on March 24th, 2009 at 8:22 am said:

come on, the voices can’t be heard in the MOST interesting part! please put up a transcription or something… please? I don’t care about the video if it takes too much of your time.

+ ZIMZUM on March 24th, 2009 at 8:35 am said:

any info on a release date for a demo, if any?

+ Gumbydunzeeto on March 24th, 2009 at 9:01 am said:

*Please* tell me you’re going to releasing a complete game and not withholding parts of the game as DLC for later like so many other publishers/games have done lately.

+ Lifewish on March 24th, 2009 at 9:14 am said:

cannot wait to see more, great interview

+ jncasanova on March 24th, 2009 at 9:29 am said:

Right after the part where you can’t hear anything (5:40) Jeff gives us an evil eye like saying: “stop asking for new firmware or I’ll go Kratos on you”

Good interview, keep them coming!

+ VenomUK on March 24th, 2009 at 9:46 am said:

Good interview Jeff. Stig Asmussen sounds like he has firm idea of how he wants things to go. Stig name-checks Gears of War 2 on the 360 which shows an honesty free from corporate b*ll****! The reality is game designers play games on all consoles and just because he works for Sony it doesn’t mean he cant play the other console. However I have never heard Microsoft staff developers praise anything about the PlayStation 3 -which gives me the impression that they have been forbidden.

I cant wait for God of War III, and I hope you make the special edition truly special -and available in the UK/Europe!

+ SuperSpiBat on March 24th, 2009 at 9:54 am said:

Great interview, Jeff.

I have a comment/request that is a little bit off-topic, but it would be nice to get a reply (I know that you are a very busy man, Jeff). Here goes…

Considering that Ninja Theory will not be making a sequel for Heavenly Sword, would it at all be possible to ask someone at Sony to hand the franchise over to Santa Monica Studios instead?. If GOW3 really is the last one in the series, it would be nice if those devs picked up Nariko and/or Kai’s tale from the HS fracnise.

Considering the way that Heavenly Sword ended (not to mention over 1.5 million copies sold), it begs to have a sequel.

Please SONY… do not let that awesome franchise fade into oscurity.

Thank you for reading. Have fun at GDC ’09, Jeff!

+ remanutd5 on March 24th, 2009 at 10:22 am said:

at 134 best idea i have heard in a long time , i hope we havent seen the end of heavenly sword yet and at 121 if sony does come out with a gow3 ps3 bundle im getting it too lol

+ Ketchup on March 24th, 2009 at 11:25 am said:

great inteview ! Thanks Jeff (and btw, have found a name for your future little girl ?)

Also, when is the SCEA conference (if any) at the GDC ?

+ commedieu on March 24th, 2009 at 11:27 am said:

Well done.

That guys name is badass.

+ Phreaker47 on March 24th, 2009 at 12:05 pm said:

Ouch, somebody forgot to take the audio out of the clip around the 5 minute mark.. it steps all over that part of the interview.

+ Airwalkinman17 on March 24th, 2009 at 12:21 pm said:

This is my most anticipated game. It Looks so flippin AWESOME.

+ shad_86 on March 24th, 2009 at 12:36 pm said:

can’t wait to play it!

+ LN_MEXWARRIOR on March 24th, 2009 at 2:14 pm said:

Jeff,

When can we see what you saw(playable demo)?

Great interview!

+ gamekoning on March 24th, 2009 at 3:17 pm said:

game im going to buy and game i getting 2009
1.killzone 2 already got!!
2.god of war 3 getting after release
3.uncharted 2 after realease
one quick hardware
4.psp:4000 aka psp2 100%

+ gamekoning on March 24th, 2009 at 3:18 pm said:

lol game im going to buy and game im getting sorry for thad my laungage english is very bad

+ Parkerdomz on March 24th, 2009 at 4:13 pm said:

Fantastic interview, Jeff, as always. God of War I and II are the best games I’ve ever played, EVER, and I seriously cannot wait to get my squirming little hands on this!

+ nuttyP on March 24th, 2009 at 5:13 pm said:

Awesome interview!

+ offwhiteazn on March 25th, 2009 at 6:03 pm said:

oh my god… of war

+ offwhiteazn on March 26th, 2009 at 6:47 pm said:

stig looks like a friggin G in the beginning lol

+ syk1288 on March 29th, 2009 at 7:34 am said:

GoW is one of the best series in gaming history, but it will never surpass “Metal Gear Solid”.

+ reborn7800 on March 30th, 2009 at 5:16 pm said:

He mentioned the Prince of persia, how you started out with almost everything. My personal opoin, it ruined the game. I had no fun playing what seem like the same thing over and over again

+ je29836 on March 30th, 2009 at 10:33 pm said:

kratos is gonna chop zeus’s b@lls off