LittleBigPlanet 3

Resistance 2 DLC and Patch 1.50 Available for Download on March 26

Bryan Intihar's Avatar + Posted by Bryan Intihar on Mar 25, 2009 // Community Manager, Insomniac Games

Game on! Tomorrow (March 26) we’ll be bringing you a host of downloadable content for Resistance 2, plus another patch that helps improve the online experience even further (and includes several requests that came from…well, you!). So let’s get right down to it, shall we?

The DLC comes in two forms: new competitive multiplayer maps and character skins. The Aftermath Map Pack features three new battlefields, two set in Twin Falls (Aftermath and Pit Stop) and another in Orick (Outpost). All of the maps support 20-player Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch, while Outpost also lets you play 20-player Core Control. The Aftermath Map Pack will be available for download through the PlayStation Store for $5.99.

Resistance 2 screenshote Rick Lumberyard Cloven

We also have six new competitive multiplayer character skins. In addition to our usual band of brothers (of the human, Cloven, and Chimeran variety), we even have two selections for our female R2 players. You can download the following skins through the PlayStation Store for $0.99 each: Rachael Parker, Female Soldier, Ravager, Cloven (Retribution model), Ranger Variation, and Black Ops Variation.

Then we have patch 1.50, or what some on the MyResistance.net forums have been calling the “the big patch.” And it definitely lives up to that nickname—it’s quite substantial. Once you install the patch (the download prompt will come up automatically once you start R2), you’ll now be treated to:

Meltdown Mode: We’ve read the message-board comments. We’ve seen the online petition. You want it? You got it! Patch 1.50 brings back Meltdown, the popular Resistance: Fall of Man multiplayer mode in which each team attempts to gain control of the map by capturing beacons.

Superhuman Co-op Mode: Does your eight-man Specter squad possess the skills to survive this all-new difficulty? It features stronger enemies and disables auto-respawning (only another squadmate can revive you), but dishes out bigger rewards (double the Grey Tech and XP per round).

Second PSN Login Support: Your fellow couch potato can now save their character’s multiplayer progress, thanks to the added option to log in with two unique PSN accounts.

But that’s really just the beginning of patch 1.50’s offerings:

• XP balance adjustments for competitive mode
  • Announcements screen
  • Failsafe save support
  • Password protected custom games
  • Added ability to “Report” player
  • Teams switch sides between Core Control rounds
  • Players now automatically go to staging after every competitive or cooperative game (regame)
  • Localization updates
  • Various stat fixes
  • Collision fixes on Bryce Canyon and Holar Tower cooperative levels
  • New leaderboards
  • Map fixes for competitive Chicago level
  • Games with Friends and Clan members in them are now highlighted in the “Find Game” screen
  • Limited late joining has been added to ranked games
  • Deathmatch spawning has been improved
  • Players can’t earn progress towards Berserks when they are dead
  • Reduced sprint speed of core carrier in Core Control games
  • Cooperative XP bonuses have been increased by 30%
  • Cooperative games respawn time is now 20 seconds
  • Players keep their grenades if they get revived in a cooperative game
  • Players now have a “Join Game” option for players on their friends list
  • A player’s own name is now in white in the obituary text

New Medals:

• Savant – Come in first place 30 times in ranked matches (Comp)
  • Hero – Come in first place 60 times in ranked matches (Comp)
  • Legend – Come in first place 100 times in ranked matches (Comp)
  • Tools of Destruction – Score 100 kills with every single weapon (Comp)
  • Master Strategist – Score 100 kills with full health (Comp)
  • Arch Rival – Kill 500 rival squad members (Comp)
  • Full Honors – Take each class to max level (Coop)
  • Prophet – Revive 500 players (Coop)
  • Secret Agent – Obtain all spec ops upgrades (Coop)
  • Surgeon General – Obtain all medic upgrades (Coop)
  • Specter Elite – Obtain all soldier upgrades (Coop)
  • Like a Surgeon – 100 Splicer Kills (Comp)
  • Shake N’ Bake – 100 Pulse Cannon Kills (Comp)

New Ribbons:

• Quickdraw – Get the first kill of the round (Comp)
  • Manic Medic – Heal for 1000 points within 3 seconds (Coop)
  • Solid Solider – Absorb 500 points of damage within a few seconds with your force barrier (Global)
  • Specter Survivor – Survive an objective without dying (Coop)
  • Specter Medic – Revive 2 or more allies within a few seconds (Coop)
  • Hail Mary – Throw ammo and hit your target from at least 10 meters away (Coop)
  • Quick and Painless – Score 3 headshots kills in a row (Global)

If you have any questions concerning the DLC and patch 1.50, you can find us on the MyResistance.net forums.

+ JAc_THe_RIppER on March 25th, 2009 at 6:06 pm said:

man damn, sony is killing us with anxiety

+ JAc_THe_RIppER on March 25th, 2009 at 6:08 pm said:

WHEN FIRMWARE 2.7!!!????

+ BGursky59 on March 25th, 2009 at 6:14 pm said:

Cool mabye that will get everybody off Killzone on my freinds list and back to R2.

Good job!!

+ Stratsman on March 25th, 2009 at 6:17 pm said:

How about some DLC and new stuff for OFFLINE play a well???

+ DarkONE on March 25th, 2009 at 6:24 pm said:

Great news… I like the sound of this Second PSN Login Support.

+ JAc_THe_RIppER on March 25th, 2009 at 6:25 pm said:

does anybody know when the 2.7 gonna come out??

+ The1stMJC on March 25th, 2009 at 6:26 pm said:

God I feel bad for this guy he has to keep telling people 2.70 have nothing to do with the new R2 patch.
Come on people listen to him and if he lying it is only to protect himself from the Sony ninjas.

+ iComet on March 25th, 2009 at 6:26 pm said:

Awesome…
I hope 2.70 is coming soon

+ Gr00v3r06 on March 25th, 2009 at 6:27 pm said:

I’m not sure why I would want to buy a skin for my character in a FPS when I can’t see my character in game. But I’m looking forward to this patch so I can have a friend come over and they can progress their player while over playing co-op.

+ TheHakku on March 25th, 2009 at 6:29 pm said:

Firmware 2.70. Two PSN IDs logged in at the same time. Resistance 2.

So, I listed all the naughty phrases. May I get a response from Mr. Stevenson now? :)

+ Dirtylary on March 25th, 2009 at 6:32 pm said:

Wow wait a great week. Never knew this content was coming.

1st the GOW2 updates and now RE2!!

woohoo.

Now for some Socom love and MAG news and it will be MONTH OF THE YEAR!

grats

+ GL0cK10 on March 25th, 2009 at 6:59 pm said:

I wonder how many times JStevenson has to say that this patch doesn’t require a firmware upgrade. The last firmware upgrade we got added this feature. The only reason it’s not available in all games is because all games don’t support it. R2 didn’t ship with this feature because there was different FW at the time. Once FW 2.6 was released they began working to implement it in R2 online multiplayer. There is no need for a firmware update. Seriously people just try reading a little.

my thoughts on patch and DLC.
First, thanks for the “Meltdown” Mode IG. I’m glad that you took the petition and all of the forum comments seriously. The one thing that concerns me is there is nothing about a fix for the grenade indicators which we all know is a problem. I am impressed with many of the things you’ve added to the game. I give you a lot of credit for that. I do think it would be nice if we could hear from you a little more often as a first party dev.
At least we have come this far, it looks like R2 has just gotten a big jolt of life pumped back into it. I look forward to finally bringing this game out of BETA tomorrow!

+ RESISTANCE61513 on March 25th, 2009 at 7:15 pm said:

Guys this blog post wasn’t about firmware 2.7 but about Resistance 2 dlc and patch 1.5. I’m sure it will be announced shortly and I don’t think bugging Mr. Stevenson, like many users have been doing, will get you any information about it. Just remain patient like you guys have been doing and Sony will announce it when they are good and ready.

As for Resistance 2 dlc and patch notes all I can say is…wow! Insomniac you guys have really out done yourselves. I’m astonished by how much you guys have accomplished in the past few months. The community boards were quiet for a while with some activity here and there reassuring us that the patch was on its way. I can honestly say I didn’t think the patch was going to be on a scale of this magnitude.You guys really pay attention to what your fans have to say and that really goes a long way. Even though I don’t think we deserve the fruits of your labor with how immature the community has been acting lately.

I’m hoping that this patch will shut up a few of the negative posters. I’m looking forward to purchasing this tomorrow! Keep up the great work Insomniac. I wish you guys all the best on your upcoming projects.

Take care.

-Adam

+ Kamikaze135 on March 25th, 2009 at 7:29 pm said:

This is awesome! I can’t wait to check these modes out. I actually traded in my copy, but I’ll pick up another brand new copy on Friday and I’ll make sure to download the DLC, of course =D

+ Fluidshine on March 25th, 2009 at 7:35 pm said:

Please bring back split screen co-op for the campaign story like in the last game! It was so much fun with my friends and now we have to just take turns playing during the story. =(

+ TheHakku on March 25th, 2009 at 7:35 pm said:

In all seriousness, thank you for Meltdown. Here’s to hoping Breach and CTF (Core Control just isn’t the same….) return as well!

+ Fluidshine on March 25th, 2009 at 7:38 pm said:

I still love this game i’m not complaining I just wish that you guys would bring it back, it would make Resistance 2 THAT much better. This is a great update! Can’t wait to try out new modes!

+ evilherbie on March 25th, 2009 at 7:44 pm said:

Why don’t you guys let the ” JAMES ” finish talking about & answering the questions about ” R2 ” OMG all you guys want to talk about is this damn FW: 2.70 update. That is NOT for ” James ” to address. That how ever is FOR ” SONY ” to address. So for that matter you ALL need to bring that up to ” SONY ” & let ” JAMES ” finish this disscussion about ” RESISTANCE 2 ” update that the more intellegent ones would love to talk about & have there ” RESISTANCE 2 ” questions answered.

There is 166 comments on this topic but ONLY about 60 if that are truely about ” RESISTANCE 2 ” so stop asking the same STUPID thing & lets stay on the Topic at hand which is “””” RESISTANCE 2 “””” update & thats all…

+ Dragonache on March 25th, 2009 at 7:44 pm said:

so can the second player in splitscreen can also receive there own trophys??

+ CooperDog on March 25th, 2009 at 7:44 pm said:

I think I know what James is trying to say. I believe he is saying that Firmware 2.60 will work with the dual log-in in Resistance 2 tomorrow, but a new firmware (2.61 or greater) will be released tomorrow, alongside the Resistance 2 patch. That’s the way I interpreted the article and comments.

+ spunnups on March 25th, 2009 at 7:48 pm said:

I’m all in. Bring some more trophies!!

+ evilherbie on March 25th, 2009 at 7:49 pm said:

OH YEA, Sorry “JAMES” but i forgot.
GREAT update thanks for this one now thats what an update should have in it. all the others should take nots from you guys on how to do an update that truely means something to the players like this one …
THANK YOU..
THANK YOU..THANK YOU..THANK YOU..THANK YOU..
THANK YOU..THANK YOU..THANK YOU..THANK YOU..
THANK YOU..THANK YOU..THANK YOU..THANK YOU..
THANK YOU..THANK YOU..THANK YOU..THANK YOU..
THANK YOU..THANK YOU..THANK YOU..THANK YOU..
THANK YOU..THANK YOU..THANK YOU..THANK YOU..

I LOVE ALL THE RESISTANCE GAMES THEY ALL ROCK

+ JoE5005 on March 25th, 2009 at 8:36 pm said:

Can’t wait! This game has the best multiplayer setup on PS3.

+ odd69 on March 25th, 2009 at 8:37 pm said:

i’ve been waiting for this for a while now THANK YOU guys!!!!!!!!!! the new patch to top it off just makes it even better. i’ll be getting all the dlc including the skins. but will you guys ever sell the character skins in a bundle pack instead of the individual skins??

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on March 25th, 2009 at 9:11 pm said:

Awesome update, the 1.50 patch will rock! the skins are a little expensive though, it should be .99 for 2 or 3 skins. Still great support Insomniac, two PSN accounts is the best feature.

+ OmariONfire on March 25th, 2009 at 9:13 pm said:

Can you also play skirmish mode on the new maps?

+ Dehshizknight on March 25th, 2009 at 9:59 pm said:

Oh heck yes. Looks like Resistance 2 will be supported just as much (if not, more) than Fall of Man was; and that’s saying a lot!

+ Gavi on March 25th, 2009 at 10:04 pm said:

Thanks for the continued support for the game and to the platfroma as a whole (I own all your PS3 offerings, great stuff, thanks Insomniac!).

I’ll be sure to put R2 back in the tray later on and get back into the co-op. I had a good time with it even though many haven’t enjoyed the same experience. Would be nice to see a few more trophies for the online multiplayer mode. It’s going to take a while to get 10,000 kills and one million points!

When will we be hearing about the next Insomniac game? E3 perhaps? Ratchet’s turn now right?

+ Ghost_Shrimp on March 25th, 2009 at 10:10 pm said:

Very disappointing to not see any new Co-op missions. The competitive in this game sucks, its just a dumbed down run n’ gun fest but the RPG style co-op and singleplayer campaign were truly great.

Oh well, can’t wait for the next Ratchet and Clank.

+ P-NoyBoy on March 25th, 2009 at 10:19 pm said:

You know what would really be awesome guys?? If you put in more trophies ^_^ Something unique for co op and competetive, that would be so cool!!! Please? =D

And awesome updates, love this game!!!

+ CrusherX on March 25th, 2009 at 10:26 pm said:

Thank you so much! For a little while even I, who love you games, was worried that you had decided against any substantial patching and DLC. Seeing this just made my day! Now, how do I justify buying every skin?

+ Bomberman65 on March 25th, 2009 at 10:28 pm said:

@20 quiomar01

Yea I reacon they should add assimilation from Retribution but make it my version I thought up. Where instead of a Cloven the person is a grim with no weapons just meelee/claws and is really fast. Obviously IG would have 2 tweck it to make it fair but I like my idea of the assimilation mode better. I call it Infection.

+ Elvick_ on March 25th, 2009 at 11:46 pm said:

I was hoping for more co-op maps or at least a few more mission variations. ):

The new difficulty is nice though. R2 Co-op is the best multiplayer a FPS can offer IMO.

+ comethb on March 26th, 2009 at 2:19 am said:

Great stuff, thanks for a great update/patch!

+ BukDaN-E on March 26th, 2009 at 2:57 am said:

aww man too late! i just goozexed this game! i knew i shoulda kept this game dammit!

+ Farhad91 on March 26th, 2009 at 3:11 am said:

James sir please add more trophies for resistance.it should have atleast 60 trophies
39 is not enough.

and please add co-op for da singel player compain, if you can. Thanks alot for the update.

+ JaKhris on March 26th, 2009 at 3:42 am said:

Sorry if this has already been asked:

I’m from France, but since I love collector stuff, I imported the Resistance 2 CE. If I buy the DLC on the European Store, it’ll be compatible, right?

Thanks, and great job, the patch and DLC look awesome. :)

Chris

+ Beaujon85 on March 26th, 2009 at 3:55 am said:

@ 187 – JaKhris

DLC is region locked, so don’t download European DLC!!

+ Fersis on March 26th, 2009 at 4:27 am said:

Lots of nice things on this patch.
nom nom nom nom

+ borntowheel on March 26th, 2009 at 4:36 am said:

I hope some new co-op maps are planned for future release as that’s my favorite on-line mode.

+ Jigokunohoono on March 26th, 2009 at 5:03 am said:

So i just got it and played 3 matches because it wont find any so in 1:30 h i should be able to play about 7 matches but it only found 3 and i got more than 20 kills total in those matches but my profile still says 6461 and wont update also i went down a level from 56 to 55 so maybe something is wrong with me but it could be a big problem

anybody else get this?

+ Goku910 on March 26th, 2009 at 5:44 am said:

Hey JS, I’m guessing Insomniac is the first to use this feature….Wow.

Insomniac never ceases to amaze me.

+ SappYoda on March 26th, 2009 at 5:54 am said:

Hi :D

Will the DLC/patch be released to Europe today?

Oh and thanks for 2 player log in support Jstevenson, you delivered ;)

[spoiler]Now fix split screen weapon change ;( [/spoiler]

Fake edit: Oh courses, spoilers don’t work here!

+ Randy_Rhoads on March 26th, 2009 at 7:20 am said:

What about Single Player Online coop!?????????????????????

pleaseeeeee!

+ satcong on March 26th, 2009 at 8:11 am said:

its really great to know you guys listen to feedback. great job on the update!

+ The_Punisher111 on March 26th, 2009 at 8:44 am said:

For those of you that said 2.7 is coming out TODAY
YOUR WRONG!!!!!!! HAHA!!!!!!!!
And BTW who said anything about 2.7?
James DID NOT say anything about 2.7
Blog DID NOT say anything about 2.7
So…. you stupid people out there ARE creating REALLY STUPID HYPE

+ darkwing75 on March 26th, 2009 at 9:36 am said:

Are the skins available for co-op too?

+ NoobianGod on March 26th, 2009 at 10:30 am said:

Fantastic update! I mostly play in Co-op and feel this update was a little Competitive heavy to where more Co-Op orientation would have been nice, but great regardless!

+ JaKhris on March 26th, 2009 at 11:07 am said:

@188 – Beaujon85

Shoot…I hate region-locking. I hope the DLC from the US store will work with the Canadian game…right? =S

Chris

+ Challenger7300 on March 26th, 2009 at 11:18 am said:

I haven’t been able to find the new Aftermath mappack yet on PS Store. Downloaded the new version too.