PS4 - Transistor

Introducing Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

James Stevenson's Avatar + Posted by James Stevenson on Mar 26, 2009 // Community Lead, Insomniac Games

Hey everyone,

Greetings from the SCEA Blogger’s Lounge at GDC! Last week, we teased you with our Ratchet & Clank Future Weapons Contest and the new action figures coming from DC Direct. While I’ll talk more about this in a bit, we are very happy at Insomniac to finally announce the name of our next game.

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time Logo

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time will conclude the story arc that started in Tools of Destruction and continued in Quest for Booty. There will be plenty to talk about over the next few months as we work towards our fall release, and we can’t wait to share more. But for those of you wanting a first look, tune into Gametrailers TV this week on Spike TV (check your local listings for time) for the world premiere of the teaser trailer.

For those of you who have been e-mailing us with questions about the Weapons Contest and asking when and where you can submit, you’ll be happy to know that submissions are open as of tomorrow! I’m also excited to announce the Grand Prize winner will have their weapon included in Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, will be given a life-size replica of the weapon, and will win a trip to San Diego Comic-Con to meet with the dev team and reveal the winning weapon to the public there!

As inspiration for you guys, tune in tomorrow for a little video roundtable talking about some of our favorite weapons stories and experiences over the years of working on Ratchet & Clank weapons.

That’s all for now, make sure you tune into GTTV to check out the teaser trailer!

+ KVG88 on March 26th, 2009 at 1:45 pm said:

Can Canadians enter the weapon contest too?

+ iComet on March 26th, 2009 at 1:45 pm said:

I’m not to sure about the title… oh well
Good news

+ StalkingSilence on March 26th, 2009 at 1:45 pm said:

@James Stevenson’s reply to #5,
Joystiq told me you’d say that and they said not to believe anything YOU SAY until they say it. Who am I to believe? PlayStation LifeStyle?

+ mywhitenoise on March 26th, 2009 at 1:46 pm said:

Don’t add online. Every game adds it, and it’s just the same boring TDM/CTF/Zones crap that every other multi-player game has…the only difference being a change in franchise characters. It’s time consuming, and really annoying when you have to kill 10,000 people just to platinum your game.

Maybe my gripe isn’t so much with online, as it is with online trophies.

+ KVG88 on March 26th, 2009 at 1:46 pm said:

@iComet

come on man, doesn’t a Ratchet and Clank game about time travel seem the slightest bit cool to you? lol

+ Darkos87 on March 26th, 2009 at 1:51 pm said:

If you bring back Captain Quark and give him more screen time, like in Ratchet and Clank 3… I will literally explode with joy.

This fall is going to be expensive as usual… in between modern warfare, ratchet and clank and uncharted 2.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on March 26th, 2009 at 4:18 pm said:

You must be happy that Qwark is headlining the weapon contest then!

We love Qwark here, and I\’m personally very excited to get the action figure of him on my desk.

+ RogueCommando on March 26th, 2009 at 1:51 pm said:

Do you think that we can be seeing a return in Multiplayer?

+ starBlinky01 on March 26th, 2009 at 1:54 pm said:

Hey James, thanks for the great news! Cant wait!! Now you guys can finally start the full moon show up again. When will that start btw?

Also I hope you guys experiment more with this one, like in Quest For Booty. I thought QFB was better then Tools of Destruction, it just had more variety of gameplay.

Also my final suggestion is to extend the gameplay of A Crack in Time beyond trophies/achievements. I am hoping for some coop (we dont care if its 30/60 FPS, coop would be much more enjoyed then an extra 30 FPS, you guys said coop couldnt be done last time round because of the 60 FPS) or some online component. The reason I didn’t buy the first one was simply because it was too short of a game.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on March 26th, 2009 at 4:19 pm said:

Very soon we\’ll start the full moon show, we\’re going to meet about that once we get back from GDC.

+ mafecto on March 26th, 2009 at 1:55 pm said:

James,

Are we going to get a kick ass online mode in this one like in Deadlocked? Seems almost necessary. Thanks!

+ gamefan67 on March 26th, 2009 at 1:56 pm said:

Im a big Ratchet and Clank fan and will you get extra stuff for this game if you have data from TOD. Also what else are you guys working on.

+ PullusPardusUS on March 26th, 2009 at 1:58 pm said:

i hope you guys make a multiplayer game on this one. i would love to blast some robots online and i really really loved doing that on ps2.

+ StargamerX on March 26th, 2009 at 1:59 pm said:

Conclude? CONCLUDE?! Aww man, I was hoping for a RCF3. Is this it? Everything? The final countdown? A little bittersweet, but mosty SWEET! I mean it’s R&C!

But is it really true this is the last one?

+ Ma1nframe on March 26th, 2009 at 2:02 pm said:

wtf blue-ray??????

yikes major typo there bud

canadian video store please

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on March 26th, 2009 at 4:20 pm said:

I maintain that I\’m at a conference and I\’m writing these responses to you guys very quickly from the Blogger\’s Lounge or other wi-fi hotspots.

+ xenorevlis on March 26th, 2009 at 2:03 pm said:

Very interesting contest. I do certainly hope there will be some form of multiplayer in this R&C as the PSP/2 iterations were fun to play with friends.

+ devel on March 26th, 2009 at 2:06 pm said:

@post 112

No man, just concludes the story Arc, not the R&C Adventures. Of Those we will still see plenty.
Or so I hope.

+ SteveMcQwark on March 26th, 2009 at 2:07 pm said:

Awesome! I whooped! :) So is this why insomniacgames.com is down?

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on March 26th, 2009 at 4:20 pm said:

Actually, all of the fans going there have done that! Whoops!

+ StargamerX on March 26th, 2009 at 2:07 pm said:

@115
Still, I don’t know about this…

+ tomstockmail on March 26th, 2009 at 2:12 pm said:

Will the Ratchet and Clank multiplayer be brought back?

+ JaKhris on March 26th, 2009 at 2:13 pm said:

And I Jizzed In My Pants…

Awesomeness + Greatness + Insomniac Games = OMFG

Great news, great great, flip I’m happy!

Chris

Although, I’m from France, so no ticket for San Diego for me…right ? :(

+ niall077 on March 26th, 2009 at 2:13 pm said:

Maybe with all the inpovements to PSN since the ps2 game (up your arsenel?) you canput multiplayer back in? please?

also add something new to the R&C formula since Future was basically a super pretty ps2 game gameplay wize IMHO.

+ LN_MEXWARRIOR on March 26th, 2009 at 2:13 pm said:

Please include Custom Sountrack support! I’m sure you’ll have great music but when I replay I want the OPTION to listen to my own music.

PLEASE!?!?!

+ Harry190 on March 26th, 2009 at 2:14 pm said:

Should be a Crack in the Nut.

+ jayrockslife on March 26th, 2009 at 2:14 pm said:

Awesome. I loved ToD. I haven’t picked up Q4B yet.. I was going to, but my card info got stolen and i had to cancel it and I was waiting for a new card to come so I didn’t get to pick it up at the 9.99 price last week. =[

+ Destiny89 on March 26th, 2009 at 2:17 pm said:

OMG cant wait.. i love R&C

+ haran_elessar on March 26th, 2009 at 2:17 pm said:

Great! I love Ratchet and Clank…it’s amazing how you guys have been releasing a new game every year since 2002…not only releasing games but releasing triple A titles.

I wonder though…how hard is it to come up with an innuendo for every Ratchet and Clank subtitle? I’m guessing you have a small group dedicated to do just that lol.

keep up the good work…I’ll be buying it on day one.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on March 26th, 2009 at 4:21 pm said:

It\’s hard to keep doing it.

We did have one REALLY good one that we couldn\’t use though cause it was too risque… we\’ll probably share on that on the podcast or something.

+ Farmer_Steve on March 26th, 2009 at 2:21 pm said:

Wonderful to hear! I hope you have a bit more time to add in some fun stuff this time around. While I still loved TOD, I didn’t find myself playing it months after release like I did the PS2 versions.

But I’ve already bought your first 4 PS3 titles, I won’t stop now lol

+ NewYork214 on March 26th, 2009 at 2:24 pm said:

will this game be using ratchet and clank: ToD game saves for anything? carry over some money, or unlock something special?

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on March 26th, 2009 at 4:21 pm said:

It\’s very early, but I would say hang on to your saves for now.

+ billyok on March 26th, 2009 at 2:29 pm said:

Will this crack in time allow me to go into the future and play Crack in Time, say, tomorrow?

+ Tcav16 on March 26th, 2009 at 2:30 pm said:

I <3 you Insomniac and Ratchet and Clank!!

I’ve been waiting for info on this!

+ Berae on March 26th, 2009 at 2:30 pm said:

This is great news, im looking forward for the first trailer, hope its soon :)

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on March 26th, 2009 at 4:22 pm said:

Tomorrow night on GTTV you can see the Teaser Trailer!

+ nas2344 on March 26th, 2009 at 2:35 pm said:

yeah im a huge fan of the series as well! i cant wait! i will be there day one for the purchase! thanks insomniac!

+ stlthriot on March 26th, 2009 at 2:38 pm said:

I’m always super excited about a new Ratchet & Clank game! I love seeing all the planets and the amazing detail put into each one of them!
I can’t even imagine how beautiful this game will look now that you guys even have a better understanding of the PS3 because Tools of Destruction already looked amazing! :D

+ GOD_OF_WAR_lll on March 26th, 2009 at 2:39 pm said:

OMG WHEN DOES THIS GAME COME OUT PLZZZ TELL ME

+ iExile on March 26th, 2009 at 2:42 pm said:

Insomniac I EFFING LOVE YOU OH MY GOD!

+ mikemustillo on March 26th, 2009 at 2:45 pm said:

I can’t wait ! I just finished Quest for Booty 2 days ago and I’m hungry for more.

+ nuclear_predator on March 26th, 2009 at 2:46 pm said:

Will there be online play?

That was the best thing for me out of the PS2 R&C games and I was dissapointed to see it missing from ToD and QFB.

Ratchet and Clank 3 online was kick ass… I’d give anything to see another game like that on PS3.

So yeah, online play? Please? :P

+ Atomika14 on March 26th, 2009 at 2:47 pm said:

Any chance you guys can give us trophies for Tools of Destruction?

Also, I’m gonna keep asking for a Ratchet and Clank Costume and Sticker Pack for LittleBigPlanet until I get one…

+ Appledsauce on March 26th, 2009 at 2:53 pm said:

Is Insomniac going to have their own booth at the Comic-Con?

+ iExile on March 26th, 2009 at 2:57 pm said:

STILL CAN’T GET OVER THIS AHHHH!

+ Ameba20 on March 26th, 2009 at 2:58 pm said:

Cool!

+ cnn93 on March 26th, 2009 at 2:58 pm said:

where will game be set? after FToD or QfB? or before them? and how long was this game in development? since R2 right?

+ ADR143 on March 26th, 2009 at 2:59 pm said:

man gl fot the competitors!

new ratchet and clank game!

+ Thrasher20 on March 26th, 2009 at 2:59 pm said:

I will be watching the trailer tomorrow. Heck Yayuh baby!!! Shake it!

+ rothbart on March 26th, 2009 at 3:00 pm said:

This is the line for “HELL YEAH!!!” right? I sure hope so, because this is GREAT news!

+ MistaTricksta on March 26th, 2009 at 3:03 pm said:

i was seriously just wondering when the next game would becoming. how tentative is this fall release date?

+ kingmeazly on March 26th, 2009 at 3:05 pm said:

This is a game i cant wait for. This is probably one of the best series also. I hope it lives up to its name

+ Snaps_the_Shark on March 26th, 2009 at 3:07 pm said:

I hope this game will end up being the best Ratchet & Clank game ever. An awesome series like this one really needs to go out with a bang.

+ mckg123456789 on March 26th, 2009 at 3:08 pm said:

OMG I CANT WAIT I LOVE R&C TOOLS OF DESTRUCTIONS!! A FIRST DAY BUY 4 ME IG UR THE BEST!!!! :D

+ Capt-Fury- on March 26th, 2009 at 3:14 pm said:

The name of the trophies should be pretty epic. cant wait! :)

+ Creciente on March 26th, 2009 at 3:14 pm said:

Fantastic news! My most expected game release of the year, along with inFAMOUS!!