PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Introducing Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

James Stevenson's Avatar + Posted by James Stevenson on Mar 26, 2009 // Community Lead, Insomniac Games

Hey everyone,

Greetings from the SCEA Blogger’s Lounge at GDC! Last week, we teased you with our Ratchet & Clank Future Weapons Contest and the new action figures coming from DC Direct. While I’ll talk more about this in a bit, we are very happy at Insomniac to finally announce the name of our next game.

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time Logo

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time will conclude the story arc that started in Tools of Destruction and continued in Quest for Booty. There will be plenty to talk about over the next few months as we work towards our fall release, and we can’t wait to share more. But for those of you wanting a first look, tune into Gametrailers TV this week on Spike TV (check your local listings for time) for the world premiere of the teaser trailer.

For those of you who have been e-mailing us with questions about the Weapons Contest and asking when and where you can submit, you’ll be happy to know that submissions are open as of tomorrow! I’m also excited to announce the Grand Prize winner will have their weapon included in Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, will be given a life-size replica of the weapon, and will win a trip to San Diego Comic-Con to meet with the dev team and reveal the winning weapon to the public there!

As inspiration for you guys, tune in tomorrow for a little video roundtable talking about some of our favorite weapons stories and experiences over the years of working on Ratchet & Clank weapons.

That’s all for now, make sure you tune into GTTV to check out the teaser trailer!

+ rexor0717 on March 26th, 2009 at 3:29 pm said:

+ XKILLER44 on March 26th, 2009 at 3:29 pm said:

Sweet MUST BUY

+ lebron_accel on March 26th, 2009 at 3:43 pm said:

Nice but …Fall 09 might not b a good release date bcause of d realese of great AAA titles like Modern warfare 2, Uncharted 2, heavy rain etc dont get me wrong though R&C is a killer app….

+ Syrus718 on March 26th, 2009 at 3:47 pm said:

R&C is seriouslycrazy and always had replay value. i have everyone that has caeout and im way for the sequel to to ftod. one thing that i know has been said is can you do some kind of co op.becaue my wife joined me in deadlock and loved it and was disappointed with the lack therer of in future but i know this is going to be awesome thanks for the info

+ jo231sh on March 26th, 2009 at 3:54 pm said:

niiiice.

+ hobo_hello on March 26th, 2009 at 3:59 pm said:

This is pretty awesome. In the first Future title, I thought Clanks powers dealt with time travel before details were given. It’s nice to see it being incorporated. Maybe we’ll see a HD Drek, Protopet, or Fizzwidget.

+ Airwalkinman17 on March 26th, 2009 at 4:13 pm said:

YES!!! I’m so excited to hear more word on this title, INSOMNIAC really is one of my favorite developers of all time. I will be buying this game day one, can’t wait to checkout the trailer. plus, I really wanna submit a weapon idea…. time to go to the drawing board….

+ blue999mk2 on March 26th, 2009 at 4:17 pm said:

online co-op please!!!
online co-op please!!!
online co-op please!!!
online co-op please!!!
online co-op please!!!

+ jipmg on March 26th, 2009 at 4:17 pm said:

Sold

im buying this day one

+ Renan_Acid on March 26th, 2009 at 4:20 pm said:

Awesome, I can’t wait! I hope you don’t have to live in the U.S. to participate in the contest…

+ BigPoppaB on March 26th, 2009 at 4:24 pm said:

You guys are amazing developers… but I was kind of hoping for a new IP.

I’ll buy this even if TOD was kind of a letdown

+ Mobius_124 on March 26th, 2009 at 4:25 pm said:

i have a question do you guys work in sweatshops? XD XD XD!!!

+ Mobius_124 on March 26th, 2009 at 4:26 pm said:

you guys are AWESOME!!!

+ haran_elessar on March 26th, 2009 at 4:33 pm said:

thanks for the reply James! It would be great if you guys reveal that title in one of your podcasts…it must’ve been pretty risque considering Up Your Arsenal was given the green light.

+ meatwadsicle on March 26th, 2009 at 4:34 pm said:

i want to ask something of you guys at insomniac:
can you put in unlockable stuff for beating the game “x” amount of times.or just cool, funny, quirky unlockables.
it makes the games more enjoyable

+ stri on March 26th, 2009 at 4:47 pm said:

WHOOT…super excited about this!

Love this game, can’t wait!

+ stri on March 26th, 2009 at 4:49 pm said:

P.S. – could you please add some secrets / secret areas…I love finding things in games.

This one would be perfect for special areas that you can unlock.

Thanks!

+ TubaDude49 on March 26th, 2009 at 4:49 pm said:

Any chance at online again?

+ Capt-Fury- on March 26th, 2009 at 4:57 pm said:

hey JS, can you tell me what is the font used in the “a crack in time”

+ easyaspie00 on March 26th, 2009 at 5:03 pm said:

I <3 you guys.

+ Lucreto on March 26th, 2009 at 5:04 pm said:

I love the people at Insomniac and the work they are doing for the fans and the industry as a whole. The Nocturnal Initiative is helping PS3 development advance and improve the industry. Now they are releasing the fourth game this gen where no other developers have come close. They all live up to the name Insomniac and surpass expectations. I have been a fan since Spyro and have every game since and I enjoyed each and every one. Everyone at Insomniac have earned my gratitude and my respect and I hope to enjoy your games for many years to come.

Thank you and I hope you enjoy the continuing success.

+ Febreze on March 26th, 2009 at 5:09 pm said:

This is just fantastic… I can’t find a job, I’m about to graduate, and now another game gets announced.

Hopefully this dammed recession will be over by Fall!

+ Erdie on March 26th, 2009 at 5:14 pm said:

By far, my most highly-anticipated game this year on any console, can’t wait!

+ Figboy on March 26th, 2009 at 5:20 pm said:

Tools of Destruction short?

What the hell? I sunk at LEAST 25+ hours into TOD collecting all the bolts and schematics so I could build the RYNO, then played through on Challenge mode so I could get enough bolts to buy the infinite Groovitron (best.weapon.ever).

Out of all of the PS3 games released so far, Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction and Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune have been the best, and got the most playtime out of me.

And this is from a guy that loves MGS4, LBP, and Resistance 2 to no end.

I don’t know if you folks are just blazing through these games without taking the time to, I don’t know, ENJOY THEM.

TOD less than 10 hours…LMAO. Yeah, right…

+ Al2x on March 26th, 2009 at 5:23 pm said:

James, I can’t even expressed how excited and PUMPED I am for the next Ratchet! I can’t wait!

And please, reunite the two, whatever necessary; Ratchet: Deadlocked proved that there is much more lacklustre in a game without Clank on Ratchet’s tail!

+ lakaiHIGH on March 26th, 2009 at 5:31 pm said:

sick! can’t wait for this next adventure. i was hoping for another pint sized entry via the PSN. but this will do. will it also be available via download?

thanks,
Lh

+ spunnups on March 26th, 2009 at 5:41 pm said:

I love me some R and C!!!

+ CrashSpyro on March 26th, 2009 at 5:42 pm said:

Will the Full Moon Show be returning soon?

+ khalfay on March 26th, 2009 at 5:43 pm said:

I’m so excited for this game.
Please make the game challenging though.
Have a insane difficulty for us ratchet fanatics please.

Last game was too easy. :(

Can’t wait for some Lombax action!!!

+ jBat17 on March 26th, 2009 at 5:46 pm said:

my holiday game list is now complete. uncharted 2, COD4:MW2, and ACIT.. maybe, dragon age

i played all R&C games. the only game i was unable to beat was deadlocked because of the MP.. man, if this game has MP, i’ll pass on COD4:MW2 lol

+ Carl-G on March 26th, 2009 at 5:58 pm said:

Can’t wait to get my 1st R&C Trophy! :P

+ yunny_danis on March 26th, 2009 at 5:58 pm said:

hey james
i was thrilled with TOD, with the large variety of weapons
i was a little disapointed, but still understood, when u put the same weapons in Q4B

but my real question is
will there be a larger variety of weapons then TOD

I love the R&C games for the variety of weapons and all the fun upgrades and mods for them

+ darkknight123456 on March 26th, 2009 at 6:06 pm said:

HELL YEAH!!!
Insomniac rocks! I finsihed R&C:ToD 3 times.

Please stick with the PS family Insomniac, your games define Playstation.

+ King_KDawgg on March 26th, 2009 at 6:09 pm said:

WHOOOO! I’ve bought every game Insomniac has made since Spyro the Dragon on PS1.

I especially can’t wait for this game because of the end of Q4B where a certain villian comes back ;) (one of my favorite characters in the seris)

+ RenderMonk on March 26th, 2009 at 6:12 pm said:

I wanna win this contest soooooo bad!! Thanks for the details on the prize. You really can’t offer a better prize than that.

+ TOY_ROBOT on March 26th, 2009 at 6:14 pm said:

I’d like to say thanks to Insomniac for being the best game developers on the planet! You all rock! Keep up the fantastic work!

+ jqtaxpayer on March 26th, 2009 at 6:18 pm said:

Tell me there are more robots and pirates and I’ll tell you you just got my $60. ;-)

+ Chaos_Bladez on March 26th, 2009 at 6:25 pm said:

Sweet! :D
I can’t wait for it! :D

+ ShadowB33 on March 26th, 2009 at 6:29 pm said:

Will the mildly dark and low brow humor the original series is known for return?

+ Hpedni on March 26th, 2009 at 6:34 pm said:

FINALLY

I was arguing with a friend of mine about this being your next game or not. I really love ratchet and clank and I’ll buy this day one.

+ NeodeosX on March 26th, 2009 at 6:40 pm said:

Hi there !

Awesome news James :)

The whole ratchet-galaxy.com team told me to send you lots of love from France !

We actually informed everyone about the weapon contest, and will send you all of our forum members’ creations in one file. Hope you will be able to find some original stuff ^^

Can’t wait to learn more about ACIT !
Oh, and just so you know, almost every member of Ratchet Galaxy asked us if there was going to be a multiplayer part… hope it turns out to be the case !

+ moatartareque on March 26th, 2009 at 6:47 pm said:

i want it to be like ratchet and clank up your arsenal ONE OF THE BEST

+ Skyline_maan on March 26th, 2009 at 6:54 pm said:

AWESOME !!

Lots of exclusives this year, Sony Rules ! and you Insomniac of course :D

TOD was my first R&C and i loved it, will buy Q4B tomorrow, cant wait for ACIT !!

+ unbornsoldier on March 26th, 2009 at 6:57 pm said:

keep up the great work :),you dudes and ladies at insomniac are one of my favorite developers,you do an amazing job everytime,and add alot of replay value for all your titles,that is very appreciated,cant wait to see the teaser,im already hype for the game as it is lol damn cant wait

+ x_Lava_x on March 26th, 2009 at 7:05 pm said:

Hello James, it is probably to early to say, but can you give us any hint about whether or not there will be online modes in this game? UYA got me into online gaming, and it would be great to see the silly gameplay come back online. It is such a departure from the usual FPS online modes.

Can’t wait to be listening to the Full Moon Show again soon, keep up the great work!

+ sonicthemonkey on March 26th, 2009 at 7:06 pm said:

If Insomniac Games were an inanimate object in my home, it would be the extra-special flannel blue pillow that I snuggle up with every night.

+ Gavi on March 26th, 2009 at 7:09 pm said:

So, here I was yesterday asking when would we hear about the next Insomniac game and lo and behold the next day they announce it. Great stuff guys and gals!

Will be Day One for me, hope it’s as witty as Ratchet & Clank: TOD.

+ jekyl70 on March 26th, 2009 at 7:09 pm said:

So, I’m guessing canadian minors will be allowed to enter the weapons contest, right? I mean its rated E10+. If not you are missing out on such a great idea! Lets just say its a cross the suck cannon and the most innovative game weapon in a 2008 release. That must of at least sort of piqued your interest, right james?

PS. Picking up action figures as soon as they are released.

+ crustySox on March 26th, 2009 at 7:22 pm said: