PS4 - Destiny

See how PixelJunk is made! Inside Q-Games’ Kyoto base

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Mar 26, 2009 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Today marks the 3rd and final day of our GDC PlayStation.Blog.Lounge, and we’re very happy to welcome Q-Games President Dylan Cuthbert into the fold. Chances are you’ve already already played one of his company’s titles, PixelJunk Eden, Monsters, or Racers (and read about the upcoming Eden Encore). But who are the people that make such innovative games? And why don’t they wear shoes when they work? Take the tour:

A money shrine! I can’t believe we don’t have any of those here.

61 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ iExile on March 26th, 2009 at 9:53 am said:

These are my favorite PSN titles. Can’t wait for the Eden Encore.

+ Neil on March 26th, 2009 at 9:53 am said:

I want to live in Japan.

+ DMPrince on March 26th, 2009 at 10:02 am said:

I would LOVE to work there ;(

+ Delriach on March 26th, 2009 at 10:03 am said:

We need a PixelJunk Home Space for all the fans to gather and discuss about the games.

+ Stinkinmushroom on March 26th, 2009 at 10:03 am said:

Euh , is their a way to buy that ‘Monsters’-poster? Please contact me trough e-mail if it’s in anyway possible!! please! Thanks :)

+ CrystalX3D on March 26th, 2009 at 10:03 am said:

Hmm, very suspicious how people were “busy working” on themes and stuff released a long while ago. I was hoping to catch a glimpse of their new projects

+ loucetios on March 26th, 2009 at 10:04 am said:

Big fan of PixelJunk, think we can get those pictures as downloads over the PSN? Be awesome to print them out and put them on my wall

+ lcmnick on March 26th, 2009 at 10:06 am said:

No shoes…old skool!

+ remanutd5 on March 26th, 2009 at 10:07 am said:

superb video Jeff , its not about a new game or anything like that but we get to know more about the people who make the games we love , great video , i hope you get more studios to do this and i would love to work there , they have people from all over the world working there NICE

+ Delriach on March 26th, 2009 at 10:08 am said:

whoa! I want those posters! And the shirt!

How can we obtain these awesome items?

+ digplans on March 26th, 2009 at 10:11 am said:

Ah. I’m in a lecture on my ipod touch, no flash player means I can’t watch the video. Maybe I should be paying attention… Anyway, a no-shoe rule in a creative work environment = I’m sold! Hire me Pixeljunk!

On a semi serious note: Dylan I’m studying visual arts and graphic design and I hate shoes! I’d say based on this brief description I should be considered qualified for something, haha! Ok back to the lecture on indigenous Arts and issues of representation in times of crisis… Yeee

+ AllTheParts on March 26th, 2009 at 10:12 am said:

That Monsters poster is incredible.

+ Ftwrthtx on March 26th, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

Another great video Jeff. This game is awesome. I had the chance to play it last night at the Blog Meet up (along with Fat Princess).

Big thanks to both you and Chris Morelli and everyone else that made last night an incredible experience.

p.s. Thanks for the MGS4 PS3 bundle too :-)

+ slappysloopy on March 26th, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

What a dope place to work. These guys are sweet.

+ darkwing75 on March 26th, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

We need a PixelJunk Home space!!!

+ Delriach on March 26th, 2009 at 10:19 am said:

That’s two requests for it!

Make it happen Sony!

+ samich2007 on March 26th, 2009 at 10:20 am said:

@Darkwing75: Yes absolutly we need that! !!! !:)

+ Vengeful-Chaos on March 26th, 2009 at 10:23 am said:

I didn’t see anyone with horns… Who ever was behind level 7 of PixelJunk Eden is pure EVIL!

+ Moosehole on March 26th, 2009 at 10:29 am said:

That video was really cool. More stuff like this would be excellent.

+ Airwalkinman17 on March 26th, 2009 at 10:32 am said:

I love videos like this, they are awesome and exciting. I become inspired to keep pushing my education forward, keep up the good work.

+ DryvBy on March 26th, 2009 at 10:32 am said:

Please, make more MONSTERS!!! That’s the best game you’ve ever done!

+ NoobianGod on March 26th, 2009 at 10:34 am said:

Thanks Jeff! I really appreciated that video, and I second the notion of a Home space. Your games are so easily social and would play right into that dynamic of home.

+ SlashZaku on March 26th, 2009 at 10:34 am said:

Really nice video. Would it be possible (I know you’ve done it before I think with Uncharted) to have ‘bi-weekly’ Behind-The-Scenes vids from various games added to the PS Store? I always find the vids interesting when getting a look at what goes on behind my favorite games (or games that interest me) so I think adding them on a regular basis to the PS Store would be great.

And I agree with the few others that Q-Games (or just the PixelJunk team) deserves a HOME Space. They’ve been doing quite a bit for the PS3.

+ akibake on March 26th, 2009 at 10:39 am said:

It’s fitting that Eden was made in Kyoto. Zen game, zen place.

Thanks to whoever prompted this insight into the developer world! More please.

+ Marauderxt on March 26th, 2009 at 10:39 am said:

Can I get please have that signed Eden Poster? Eden is one of my favorite games, I play it whenever Im strung out over work. Not to good at the later levels but the first 6 are just so much fun.

Keep up the great work, and Im sure everyone here and everyone who has bought your games looks forward to your next game or expansion.

+ loadstone007 on March 26th, 2009 at 10:40 am said:

Weird employees produce weird games, I guess…

+ Kamikaze135 on March 26th, 2009 at 10:41 am said:

Wow, that was a very interesting video. Actually, it made me want to buy Pixlejunk Monsters and Pixlejunk Eden today, lol. I’ll get one today and the other tomorrow =D

Keep those great games coming! Ah, you guys should really make a dungeon crawler Pixlejunk game. Maybe thrown in a few classes for variety and some online play =X

Anyway, whatever you guys decide to make, I’m sure it’ll be great!

+ inveigle on March 26th, 2009 at 10:48 am said:

Awesome!

+ Maguss on March 26th, 2009 at 10:49 am said:

@27 lol I don’t know if you were being sarcastic or not, but PixelJunk is actually making a PixelJunk Dungeons game. I can’t wait!!!

+ Korbei83 on March 26th, 2009 at 11:06 am said:

I always wondered what put the bounce in PixelJunk’s step.. the answer was so obvious.

‘Hemp’

+ Scodo_Thope on March 26th, 2009 at 11:10 am said:

What an awesome video!

Flower shop, wine shop and Italian restaurant in same place, why didn’t I think of that !!!

KEEP UP THE FABULOUS WORK, I will keep buying it !!

+ Neil on March 26th, 2009 at 11:22 am said:

Great video. I would love to see more tours of developers office’s – especially the ones not in the US.

+ Wollan on March 26th, 2009 at 11:25 am said:

‘Pray for more money’ haha

+ Lacri on March 26th, 2009 at 11:28 am said:

Very nice to know about the team. I cant wait for the next pixeljunk title!

+ chubigans on March 26th, 2009 at 11:31 am said:

Pixeljunk is awesome. I will buy anything they make. :)

+ LN_MEXWARRIOR on March 26th, 2009 at 12:10 pm said:

I want to work there! Thank you for supporting IN-GAME XMB MUSIC in PJ Monsters!

+ mtrevino78 on March 26th, 2009 at 12:16 pm said:

As a fan of both Monsters and Eden (as well as my GF), it was very cool to see this video and see some of the people and culture behind the studio. Good post, really appreciate these types of posts.

+ katsuo7171 on March 26th, 2009 at 12:19 pm said:

Why does it seem like a very quiet place. Are they all camera shy or is it that they can’t speak english well. It seems like a great place for me to work because I don’t like rowdy people , however I can’t speak(Speak a little) or read Japanese. So living in Japan is not going to be possible….. Unfortunately.

I would like to visit though. :)

+ jncasanova on March 26th, 2009 at 12:21 pm said:

Has Dylan Cuthbert just mentioned a patch for PixelJunk monsters?? I thought theye were not adding anything anymore!!

Hope they add a level creator but I think this video could have been shot before Monsters Encore was released and that was the mentioned patch.

+ cfashacar on March 26th, 2009 at 12:21 pm said:

I agree with 6 lol, finishing touches on a theme thats out already?

+ Zezzler on March 26th, 2009 at 12:23 pm said:

Looks like a FANTASTIC place to work! do the people speak english there? and what kinda school would be needed to get a job there?

+ TheInfectedBy590 on March 26th, 2009 at 12:34 pm said:

Aah! This is awesome! I wanna work there now! :p Kyoto seems nice!

+ acerazer1 on March 26th, 2009 at 12:43 pm said:

Man, that was a great video! Thanks Dylan!

And to 6, 40: I’m sure they’re just going to show us a bunch of stuff that they’re not allowed to announce yet. Good thinking guys…..

+ loxapac on March 26th, 2009 at 12:59 pm said:

Where is Pixeljunk monsters for PSP…

I want to see him….

+ digplans on March 26th, 2009 at 1:04 pm said:

Wow just watched the video. Hemp tiles is certainly the way to go, damn I love it! Wine bar across the street… ho man it’s a dream.

+ Lifewish on March 26th, 2009 at 1:06 pm said:

we def. need a pixeljunk home space. Great video, looks like a cool place to live and i really hope they do continue to make great titles for us gamers.

+ Thrasher20 on March 26th, 2009 at 1:10 pm said:

How about a Pixel Junk Homespace and with an exclusive arcade game in home? And have unlockables for them please :)

+ Top_Shelf on March 26th, 2009 at 1:11 pm said:

This video made me want to visit Japan even more than I already do.

+ Skittles2 on March 26th, 2009 at 1:48 pm said:

Having money and a girlfriend don’t really mix. XD

Nice video. :D