LittleBigPlanet 3

God of War Developer Interview #5 – Battle Director Adam Poole Answers Your Questions

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Mar 27, 2009 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Here it is, our 5th and final God of War III developer interview of the week, and my personal favorite. The man with the coolest title in gaming, “Battle Director” talks damage dealing, weapons, and the influence of fighting games on the world of God of War. His descriptions of combos and, well, violence are vivid and fun; so this video is a little longer than the other ones. I don’t think you’ll mind.

If Adam’s descriptions don’t get you salivating for the game, maybe you need to watch the trailer again!

Thanks so much for taking time to watch the videos and meet God of War III’s developers. We’ll have a lot more for you on this game closer to E3.

92 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ lcmnick on March 27th, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

Want! Want! Want!

Thanks for all these interviews Jeff.

+ MaN_uTd_10 on March 27th, 2009 at 10:17 am said:

Great interview jeff.

Is this going to be the last GDC related post on the blog?

+ ketzler on March 27th, 2009 at 10:20 am said:

It’s a little choppy during 4:18

I don’t know what that is but just pointing out kind sir. :)

+ Thrasher20 on March 27th, 2009 at 10:22 am said:

Nice one Jeff. Now time to beat President Devil tonight!

+ xaos on March 27th, 2009 at 10:26 am said:

Man, that’s been a lot of GoW this week; now I have to sit on my hands wondering what you guys have up your sleeves for E3 :)

+ lonewolf1994 on March 27th, 2009 at 10:28 am said:

jeff!!!!!!1 i wish i had your job man D:

+ chriscowboyd on March 27th, 2009 at 10:32 am said:

Has anyone said yet whether or not this game will have custom soundtrax? Also, I hope someone can express to Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 producer Yosuke Hayashi and let him know that the same amount of blood in Ninja Gaiden 2 should be used instead of a purple haze when the game is released in western markets. If the only way to get the appropriate age rating in Japan is to use purple haze, then use purple haze in Japan. Give western audiences as much blood as was in Ninja Gaiden 2.

+ Kluv on March 27th, 2009 at 10:32 am said:

God of war is the best series i’ve ever played, thanks alot to the combat, so keep doing your stuff, and there will be tons of happy people!

+ iExile on March 27th, 2009 at 10:33 am said:

Every time I see God of War 3 I wet myself. This is just getting ridiculous now.

+ remanutd5 on March 27th, 2009 at 10:33 am said:

Awesome , i need God of war like … yesterday lol , cant wait to play it

+ CardinalNash on March 27th, 2009 at 10:33 am said:

This game is going to be amazing, both of my buddies have 360s and they are even excited for this game!!!!

Keep these amazing exclusives coming…

Jeff do you want Adam Pooles job? lol

+ kingmeazly on March 27th, 2009 at 10:33 am said:

Sweeet is all i can say

+ ruffneckc on March 27th, 2009 at 10:38 am said:

Great job Jeff. I can’t wait to go home and watch this.

+ fan1310 on March 27th, 2009 at 10:38 am said:

Great interview! Thx Jeff

+ Gotoxy-90 on March 27th, 2009 at 10:39 am said:

Hmm, the video gets weird from the middle to the end.

Fix it ASAP!

+ QCVic on March 27th, 2009 at 10:43 am said:

Though all of the interviews had information that I’ve already heard through reading articles, it’s good to hear it from the developers. I can’t wait for new reveals as E3 rolls up.

+ The_Punisher111 on March 27th, 2009 at 10:43 am said:

i cry everytime i see GOW3 stuff because its not yet :|
anyways …. Cant wait for this game!

+ MaN_uTd_10 on March 27th, 2009 at 10:45 am said:

jeff check the video starting from 4:00

+ jbullfrog23 on March 27th, 2009 at 10:47 am said:

Once again: wow.

+ mywhitenoise on March 27th, 2009 at 10:48 am said:

jeff, stop staring at the camera! I can’t handle that handsome hunk of a face.

+ Thwip on March 27th, 2009 at 10:51 am said:

Sounds sick! Can’t wait!

Thanx to the PSN (Jeff), and all of the God of War development team who participated!

+ Violater on March 27th, 2009 at 10:53 am said:

Please do not strip Kratos of his powers, make everyone else even more powerful and cause Kratos to have to adapt throughout the game.

+ hermes200 on March 27th, 2009 at 10:56 am said:

@7:
If there is a game that does not requires a custom soundtrack, its God of War. Those games have the best music I have heard in years!

+ The_Assassin03 on March 27th, 2009 at 11:00 am said:

I’m loving the way the new combat system is coming along. Will there be a new trailer sometime soon?

+ JuJuRMJ on March 27th, 2009 at 11:02 am said:

Thank you PlayStation Blog for informative behind the scenes interviews with game developers. There should be a collection of these videos in its own category on the PS Store. Again great job Jeff and crew!

+ IrishPete333 on March 27th, 2009 at 11:04 am said:

Can any of you guys tell me when this year E3 is going to be?

@23: I agree God of war doesn’t need custom soundtrack, the music in the game is one of the many things that makes GoW the best game ever! Rock on guys, you are going the make one he11 of a great game!

+ Gringo234 on March 27th, 2009 at 11:05 am said:

Sounds great.

I like the Street Fighter reference. Is it true that some of the guys working on GOD 3 (and worked on GOD 1 and 2) combat are former Street Fighter developers?

+ KUSHman666 on March 27th, 2009 at 11:06 am said:

omg i cant wait for this!!!!! i wish jaffe wanted to make a large scale game again, he said his final story for kratos is awesome. i hope they use it :-D

+ Korbei83 on March 27th, 2009 at 11:16 am said:

Tonnes of fun indeed.

+ koston3647 on March 27th, 2009 at 11:24 am said:

head smashing into walls like the cinematic from the first GOW with the barbarians i want that brutality.

+ Blkant on March 27th, 2009 at 11:26 am said:

What is this guys credentials though? Was he a part of the previous God Of War’s or is he an outsider?

+ LordDeff07 on March 27th, 2009 at 11:29 am said:

Great interview man, I hope the God of war team takes all the time they need to make this game all that it can be. And like some have said, let them find a way to not strip Kratos of his powers, that alone will be the single most original thing of the game.

+ Darkatomz on March 27th, 2009 at 11:35 am said:

is there something wrong with the video stream about halfway through? the audio stays fine.

great info and interview!

+ Enforcer_X on March 27th, 2009 at 11:39 am said:

This is EPIC!
I can’t wait to play God Of War 3!

+ Sakimori_X on March 27th, 2009 at 11:45 am said:

”Okay, those guys are all on fire, so I have a few seconds to deal with these guys now.”

BEST … LINE … EVER … !!!

+ remanutd5 on March 27th, 2009 at 11:53 am said:

Jeff you seriously need to this with others developers , i know God of War is one of sony’s most loved franchises and theres a lot of us who are dying to play the game but it would be very cool to see the same developer interviews from people like Naughty Dog( Uncharted2), Insomniac(Ratchet and Clank), Zipper interactive( M.A.G.), Quantic Dream(Heavy Rain) and much more

+ Wuggyboobeaufuf on March 27th, 2009 at 11:56 am said:

Is there going to be DLC?

(I hope not, I’d rather have a complete game.)

+ reson8er on March 27th, 2009 at 12:00 pm said:

GOD OF ******* WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ jncasanova on March 27th, 2009 at 12:13 pm said:

what happened with the rumor about God of War 3 having multiplayer??

+ Zookey on March 27th, 2009 at 12:17 pm said:

great time to be a PS fan keep it up guys!

+ Enigma777 on March 27th, 2009 at 12:34 pm said:

Did I just hear a Firebow? Hell Yeah! GOW3 is gonna be epic!!!!!!

Thanks for the vids Jeff!

+ caliblue15 on March 27th, 2009 at 12:50 pm said:

Jeff,

You have another problem with the video. The audio stays fine but the video lags behind, and becomes overly compressed.

+ dj128 on March 27th, 2009 at 12:50 pm said:

I going to pre-order this game right now. Thanks Jeff. Your great man.

+ K6U1R5D on March 27th, 2009 at 12:59 pm said:

plz don’t add multiplayer. god of war was meant to be played single player because obviously it’s the best ever! don’t waste time on multiplayer just make the story and gameplay awesome, we got killzone2 for multiplayer!

+ JuanDHexen on March 27th, 2009 at 1:01 pm said:

@39 If god of war had multiplayer I probably won’t but it, are you kidding me you think every game that is going to be made has to be multiplayer.Games like KZ2 and resistance are build for the sole purpose of multiplayer but not every game is intended to have it.

+ ZekeXenu on March 27th, 2009 at 1:06 pm said:

Jeff,

Did Adam give you an indication of what other weapons will be in the game? What about using the environment as a weapon (and by that, I mean breaking off objects to use as weapons/traps as opposed to throwing a guy against a wall)?

Good interview… but I felt like we didn’t learn that much new stuff since much of this info was covered in a Game Informer article about six weeks back.

+ Demonized on March 27th, 2009 at 1:07 pm said:

My most anticipated game of all time.

+ RogueCommando on March 27th, 2009 at 1:25 pm said:

how tall are you Jeff? you seem to look down at everyone. Im 6’5″. I know what im talking about when I say looking down…

+ Darkos87 on March 27th, 2009 at 1:26 pm said:

Did he just say you can run some guy’s face into a wall or did I just dream that?

+ The_Punisher111 on March 27th, 2009 at 1:29 pm said:

@49
He said “You can crush your opponents skulls into walls”
Not thier faces lol