PS4 - Transistor

PS3 Firmware (v2.70) Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Apr 01, 2009 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi everyone, we’re adding some great new features with the next PS3 firmware update (v2.70) that will continue to enhance your connected experience on the PS3. The 2.70 update brings a new Text Chat feature that enables you to communicate online with your PlayStation Network friends. Now, you’ll be able to chat with up to 15 online friends using the Wireless Keypad, on-screen keyboard, or other compatible keyboard peripherals. Not only can you chat with your friends instantly, but you can also access Text Chat while playing PS3 games and even participate in up to three chat rooms at once.

In addition to Text Chat, we’ve added a few more enhancements:

Friends list on the XMB (XrossMediaBar)

• Sort your friends via their online status
  • Attach larger files to the messages you send to your friends (file size will increase from 1MB to 3MB)

Video delivery service on PlayStation Store

• Video files you’ve purchased from the PlayStation Store can be backed up to an external storage device and then restored to PS3’s internal hard drive for playback – so you can clear up space on your hard drive and then restore the video anytime in the future
  • Videos you’ve purchased for PSP (PlayStation Portable) system can now be transferred to PS3 for playback

For a quick preview of Text Chat and some of the other 2.70 features, check out this video:

The 2.70 update will be released soon, and as always, we look forward to reading your feedback.

2,068 Comments

PAGE 1 4 5 6 7 8 42

+ FlameClone on April 1st, 2009 at 6:25 pm said:

thats a very nice update, but what about avatars? when are we getting more?

+ Rinder on April 1st, 2009 at 6:25 pm said:

Wow, in-game XMB still slow as heck.
And sure you didn’t do anything with loading profile cards/comparing trophies.

Cmon, it’s been so long and we only get a useless update.
I’m starting to get mad.

+ Insomnia999 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:25 pm said:

Also, you guys should check out those designs on the PS.com forums of what the in-game xmb/gamercard should look like.

+ spectrum2008 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:25 pm said:

Does this 2.7 firmware update will fix my damage firware 2.6?, please answer!!, and thank you for tell us SOON.

+ Lukasz666 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:26 pm said:

Can we voice chat with friends when we play two diffrent games?

+ leoncito80 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:26 pm said:

You should Stop playing Around and Fix PS3 Freezes, Network Freezes, and PS-PS2, feautures compatibilities, on Updates.

+ xBiG_BoSS-911x on April 1st, 2009 at 6:26 pm said:

April Fools??? Seriously that’s it? Where are all the rumored features like in-game chaT?

+ lebron_accel on April 1st, 2009 at 6:27 pm said:

Thank you!

+ Karneli_3 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:28 pm said:

Video stuff is cool and all but some ingame chatting would be highly appreciated

+ Darkshifter2007 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:28 pm said:

Cool, great update. I just have once question. Does the Audio chat feature work in-game as well?

+ TheHakku on April 1st, 2009 at 6:28 pm said:

Ha ha, Eric. April fools. :(

+ RyanMcBainDOTcom on April 1st, 2009 at 6:28 pm said:

What about cross-game voice chat? What about being able to send voice messages?

+ aquastorm on April 1st, 2009 at 6:29 pm said:

Once again Sony gives us something noone wanted or asked for, text chat? Come on… what is your problem Sony? We NEED CROSS GAME VOICE CHAT NOT TEXT CHAT ROOMS!!!! Sony, when will you learn you have to give your customers what they want and need!!!!

+ somethingatt on April 1st, 2009 at 6:30 pm said:

If the chat room stayed open transparently in a corner or something like that and you can type whilst playing that’ll be cool.

But to stop, go to chat room menu, pick a chat etc etc…I might as well just message lol.
At least there is a message shortcut key on the keyboard.

Sorry, I’m not sold, it’s not very convenient at all.

+ wcgold22 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:30 pm said:

I also want more avatars please.

+ liketoski on April 1st, 2009 at 6:30 pm said:

What about voice-messaging?

+ bluetwilight24 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:30 pm said:

so when exactly is this update supposed 2 happen?

+ Se7enwolf on April 1st, 2009 at 6:30 pm said:

I dont know why anyone is excited about any of these features. They all are worthless. The in-game xmb text chat feature is the biggest worthless one. Who the hell is going to try and text chat at the same time they are playing a game? You can’t do both at the same time. This is just a more complicated version of sending mail messages that you could check while in-game.

Cross game voice chat is what everyone wants, not this crap.

+ DylanWhite86 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:31 pm said:

@250
That says nothing about voice chat, just being able to do text chat in 3 different rooms at once. May you should read the description.

+ Brosive on April 1st, 2009 at 6:31 pm said:

In-game text is ok, but I can’t stop and chat when I’m kicking it in Street Fighter. We seriously need the cross-game voice chat.

+ Mobius_124 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:32 pm said:

seriously, I would rather pay for this service so you guys can get off your *sses than getting crappy updates like this. seriously? wheres the Auto Trophy Syncing? wheres the voice messaging? wheres the cross game chat via voice? most importantly, wheres the Cross game invites? WTF!?!?!?!?! this is really getting on my nerve. you guys suck.

+ UnDer_-Dogg-_ on April 1st, 2009 at 6:32 pm said:

Anybody notice that today is April 1st?? They decided to bring an update video to the blog on the “1st of April”? With some crappy stuff in the update?? Maybe I’m over thinking this.. but we might have been fooled people. That’s my observation.. :p

+ h0tp00p on April 1st, 2009 at 6:32 pm said:

You’re kidding right? How the h— are you supposed to text chat while you’re playing a game? Maybe the Killzone community will stop if you yell “time out”? That would be fun.

Can I leave a voice message for a friend who is offline? I could use that. Cross game invites? Music off my HD while I’m in my personal space in Home? That’s worthwhile. Typing on the $50 add on keypad is lame.

Considering the buzz 2.7 has been getting? Epic fail unless you are the worst of fanboys.

+ Darkdoom123 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:33 pm said:

Playing a game with text chat is more of a con than a plus counting you have to go back and forth,do we at least have a small transparent window with the chat room inside?

Honestly would much rather have voice chat.

+ Mobius_124 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:33 pm said:

I DONT WANT IN-GAME TEXT CHAT, I WANT CROSS-GAME VOICE CHAT GODDAMN IT!

+ StrykerIsland on April 1st, 2009 at 6:34 pm said:

Most pointless firmware update, ever.

Voice chat or bust, get this ridiculous text chat off my PS3.

This is 2009 for god sakes.

+ mafecto on April 1st, 2009 at 6:34 pm said:

If this is real, which it probably is, it’s pretty lame. We scream for dedicated voice chat over and over and what do we get? A freaking chat room.

Let me get this straight.

I get to pause my game, wait for the XMB to load, type a message, close the XMB, go back to my game, and repeat?

Yeah, it’s a neat idea, but get the freakin XMB to load faster and it might be ok.

This has been quite a week. Between this story, the PS2 price drop, and the Jak thing, there has been tons of hate flying. Do you think anyone at Sony will even notice and/or care?

+ sainraja on April 1st, 2009 at 6:35 pm said:

@SKeRJ – You can already organize content by folders. Press Triangle and go to information….

+ LpSquall on April 1st, 2009 at 6:35 pm said:

I believe the following feature: Attach larger files to the messages you send to your friends (file size will increase from 1MB to 3MB)
is building the foundation of allowing us to leave voice/video messages to your friends.

+ NinjaHunter on April 1st, 2009 at 6:35 pm said:

Now do in-game VOICE chat and all will be well.

+ Trieloth on April 1st, 2009 at 6:35 pm said:

Sounds kinda neat, I sure hope theres more…

+ JAc_THe_RIppER on April 1st, 2009 at 6:35 pm said:

THERE IS IN-GAME VOICE CHAT, READ THE DESCRIPTION!! ” Not only can you chat with your friends instantly, but you can also access Text Chat while playing PS3 games and even participate in up to three chat rooms at once.”

HAPPY!!??!!

+ Mobius_124 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:35 pm said:

I WANT AUTO TROPHY SYNCING DAMN IT! I WANT VOICE MESSAGING DAMN IT! I WANT MY CROSS GAME INVITES DAMN IT! nfdLSAfdsfsal;ifhl;saijf!!!!!

+ Madrid1214 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:36 pm said:

Looking good Sony. I would like to be able to chat with a buddy who is playing LBP while I play Killzone 2. Something like the party thing on Xbox.
Keep up the good work. Can’t wait.

+ Gump_ on April 1st, 2009 at 6:36 pm said:

voice chat please!

+ computerwis5 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:36 pm said:

Great guys! I have requested this in the past and talked to Jeff on Ps3. It is great that we can finally chat in real time on the playstation. Please consider adding voice chat to this program. Easier chat options have always been my biggest concern! Keep it up sce!

+ phinnv8 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:36 pm said:

How stupid are the people on here thanking Sony? TEXT CHAT iS STUPID. Why the hell would i wanna stop playing a game online and send a text message when I can already god damn do that. Where is UNIVERSAL VOICE CHAT? And all the other features people REALLY WANT

+ DylanWhite86 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:36 pm said:

Hey Jac, stop being a dumbass and read that statement again. It says nothing about voice chat.

+ picante on April 1st, 2009 at 6:37 pm said:

sorry,sony but we already have text and we are able to stop go to xmb and read and wright back why would we really need this omg please bring IN GAME VOICE CHAT ASAP.truely yours a really good costumer and gamer. ps. picante on your psn network.

+ GamerMoney on April 1st, 2009 at 6:37 pm said:

when people are saying say we need in-game voice chat, please stop saying WE as we dont NEED it, it’s a bonus, an ACCESSORY

+ Enigma777 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:37 pm said:

@JacTheRipper: No there’s not! Stop spamming and learn how to read properly…

+ phinnv8 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:37 pm said:

Sony has F-ed up so much in the last two days this is the most garbage firmware update I’ve EVER heard about coming out. It basically makes me want to just get a 360

+ JAc_THe_RIppER on April 1st, 2009 at 6:37 pm said:

@ DylanWhite86

y don’t u read it properly

+ mckelvenator2000 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:38 pm said:

i was hoping that you guys would have added voice chat instead of the text.and also i want to be able to listen to the music on my ps3 while playing COD5 or killzone 2.

+ Neobara on April 1st, 2009 at 6:38 pm said:

Good update? Are you people kidding me? In-game TEXT chat is what they’re releasing? They have so many other things that needed to be in this update and instead they give us a gimped version of a feature we did want.

Text chat… wow… it’s like i’m really using AOL on my PS3. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!

+ StrykerIsland on April 1st, 2009 at 6:38 pm said:

The more I think about it, the more I think this has got to be a joke.

I’m the biggest PS3 fan around, but this is a ridiculous update.

Text chat instead of voice when we can already send text messages, sorting a list that is already sortable and a backup feature for movies that I’m not allowed to download because I’m Canadian.

Where’s my option to never download this update? Now that would be something worth celebrating.

+ JAc_THe_RIppER on April 1st, 2009 at 6:38 pm said:

@ Enigma777

read it again

+ DylanWhite86 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:38 pm said:

No Jac, YOU didn’t read it properly. 3 text caht windows at once, THAT IS IT, NOT VOICE CHAT

+ a_team04 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:38 pm said:

Great! About time. Hopefully we will see cross game chat soon.

+ phinnv8 on April 1st, 2009 at 6:38 pm said:

IN GAME VOICE CHAT IN GAME VOICE CHAT IN GAME VOICE CHAT WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU SONY?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

APRIL FOOLS JOKE IS ON US I GUESS