PS4 - Destiny

Killzone 2 “Behind the Bullet” Interactive Demo Available Today

Scott Steinberg's Avatar + Posted by Scott Steinberg on Apr 02, 2009 // VP of Product Marketing

By now you’ve probably seen the Killzone 2 TV commercial, called “Bullet,” which uses the advanced in-game engine of Killzone 2 and the PLAYSTATION 3 to bring the game’s incredible detail to life. For anyone who hasn’t seen the commercial, you can view it here.

As I hinted in my previous blog post, we want you to get a glimpse of the technology behind the game with a playable version of the commercial, codenamed: “Killzone in 4-D.” I’m happy to announce that as of the PlayStation Store update today, you will be able to go to PSN and download the interactive demo officially titled “Behind the Bullet.” This demo will provide an inside look at the making of the commercial, enabling you to take control and slow down the action, move the camera axis and pivot, hear audio commentary from multiple selectable sources such as the art director or technical director at Guerrilla Games, and utilize a variety of buffers and filters to see how every single frame of the commercial was created using the game engine technology. As you will see, everything is directly rendered on a PS3 without the need for additional tweaking or touching up. Simply put: “what you see is what you get.”

Killzone 2 Behind the Bullet screen

Killzone 2 Behind the Bullet screen 2

Once again, I would like to congratulate Guerrilla for developing not only one of the most visually stunning games ever, but one of the best gameplay experiences to date. The team is excited over this opportunity to show how the art and technology for a project of this magnitude comes together. We hope you enjoy interacting with the demo and thank you again from all of us at PlayStation for making Killzone 2 such a great success.

PAGE 1 2

+ Gringo234 on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:09 am said:

I can’t to mess around with this.

I wonder if the guys at Sucker Punch would do one for infamous…

+ Reigncloud777 on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:09 am said:

nice and thanks!! Great job with KZ2, can’t wait to check this out!!

+ starBlinky01 on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:10 am said:

so cool!! definately downloading this. Thanks guys.

+ TheNukes on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:11 am said:

Very cool, will definitely check this out later today!

+ lcmnick on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:12 am said:

Thanks Scott….will be definitely checking this out!

Anything you can say on the official sales for KZ2 yet?

+ SogeKing on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:12 am said:

Lets see the competition pull this off. Course if it tried, I would have to send it in for repairs (for the 5th time)

+ CEK111 on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:14 am said:

Cool,
it’ll be great too see the effort put into this game.

+ Blkant on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:14 am said:

The people at GG must really like to work their butts of or something hehe. Thank you guys PSN, GG, and sony :)

+ kingmuscle on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:14 am said:

s it free?

+ drdre74 on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:14 am said:

Hope this turns into a common thing now that the tech has been built to do this on the ps3. I would love to be able to demo the intro and the end credits of the game. Those are hot.

+ Zookey on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:15 am said:

Congrats Guerilla!

+ Kenshin71 on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:16 am said:

This is US only or worldwide? I hope by this stage in the game Sony’s different regional divisions are co-ordinating so that this type of stuff gets released simultaneously.

+ GamerMoney on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:16 am said:

kz2 all the way. see you in the warzone

+ SPOPS on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:17 am said:

Sounds pretty sweet, can’t wait to get my hands on this. Thanks for taking the time to show us some awesome stuff like this.

+ BiezulbubBill69 on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:17 am said:

This is awesome I can’t wait to play with the commercial lol!

+ KUSHman666 on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:20 am said:

awesome K2 FTW!!!!!!!!!!

+ BrianC6234 on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:20 am said:

I can’t wait. Too bad we can’t use that slowdown feature to slow down Radec. He’s so tough to catch.

+ DMAPacket on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:23 am said:

“Lets see the competition pull this off.”

It’s impossible for the Xbox 360 to ever run a Killzone 2 level engine. The system is gimped with only 10 megs of EDRAM. The Killzone 2 engine uses 40 megs of framebuffer data that is impossible for the 360 to handle.

Also the massive power of the SPEs to do vertex transforms, lighting, framebuffer processing, animation, etc. simply isn’t there on the 360.

And of of course the 25 gigs of game data KZ2 requires would take 4 of the silly 7 gigabyte 360 DVD discs just to fit.

This is the first console generation where a console has had such a total domination over the competion in graphical power that the PS3 has over the 360.

The only thing the 360 has this gen are those stupidly fake Epic Unreal Engine marketing bullshots that everyone just laughs at now.

The PS3 has so totally destroyed the 360 in graphics this gen Xbox fans have started to talk like Wii fans “we don’t care about graphics! we only care about gameplay!”

+ acerazer1 on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:24 am said:

Sounds pretty cool, I still haven’t bought KZ2 yet so maybe this will buy me some time until I have enough funds.

+ remanutd5 on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:26 am said:

Great to have the opportunity to see and be able to play with the technology the game was created , i hope this become a standard or at least for big games like god of war3 , uncharted 2 , gran turismo 5 and thanks for such a great experience killzone2 turned out to be , very impressed with the game , keep it up

+ TheGuardianFID on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:28 am said:

COOLISIMO MENG!!! :P :D

+ Jeigh on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:29 am said:

Sah-weet! The gameplay for KZ2 may not have been as ‘ground-breaking’ as PR makes it sound, but it’s still a very good game, and I may end up downloading this for a look-around, though if you’ve got the game, you’ve already got a gorgeous live-action version of it. (Is ‘gorgeous’ the right word to use for smashing a neo-space-Nazi’s head in and watching blood go all over in High Definition? Eh, it’ll work. =P )

+ Letters2Kay on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:29 am said:

This is an awesome idea and I can’t wait to try it out. I hope this is just the begining of a whole new advertising frontier. I love it…

+ DanielMeier on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:29 am said:

So is this global US, EU and son on, or is this only US for now?

Scott Steinberg's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on April 2nd, 2009 at 2:15 pm said:

It\’s available on the US Store only.

+ Netweb on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:30 am said:

I need my M32 Combat knife on on-line !!!!!

+ dehumanizer_666 on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:30 am said:

awesome.

+ spideyal on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:35 am said:

No! Thank YOU Guerrilla Games!
& I mean for bringing out my, now, favorite FPS game.
Although I’ve always been a wide range FPS player, Killzone 2 has everything I need in an FPS (of course I’ll play others, but I assure you KZ2 will be my main FPS game).
It’s side by side with Metal Gear Solid 4 on my work trip. =]

So I have two amazing games to keep me busy. And bot matches are entertaining.. you guys were right about the headshots on Elite tho lol

Thanks for this download, I’ll be trying it today for sure.

+ KazeEternal on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:36 am said:

I was originally unsure of KZ2 when I decided to purchase it. However after completing 100% of the single player campaign and acquiring all of the single player trophies I have to say this game was quite an experience from beginning to end. I’m actually pretty glad the multi player mode is there (though the honor rank trophies are a bit of BS, I have a life) to let me continue to enjoy the degree of work that this title had.

I look forward to downloading this demo as not just a fan, but as someone who is involved with the technology.

Great job again guys.

+ StrykerIsland on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:37 am said:

Tremendous. More of these kinds of things please. :)

+ Shinigami_Ness on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:38 am said:

this is amazing love this game and I can not wait to get out to try the demo

+ Vengeful-Chaos on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:41 am said:

Cool can’t wait to try it out, i’ve always wanted to see what’s behind a video game tv advertisement.

+ QCVic on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:41 am said:

Sounds interesting.

+ StalkingSilence on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:43 am said:

Wish it used original textures and models – they used enhanced ones for the commercial. But cool that the engine is so powerful.

+ Bloody_Marcel on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:44 am said:

“For anyone who hasn’t seen the commercial, you can view it here .”

Link is missing, there. :P

+ hife on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:45 am said:

Awesome! Been looking forward to this.

+ ryanc08 on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:45 am said:

Awesome, i really enjoyed the commercial too. Will be downloading this, and once again Killzone 2 is simply amazing. Thanks

+ GGCAN on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:46 am said:

Thanks Scott.

One of the best shooters I’ve yet to play.

Keep up the great work and thanks for this bonus today.

+ Korbei83 on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:51 am said:

As soon as 2.71 pops up, I’ll give this a try.

+ norm01 on April 2nd, 2009 at 11:52 am said:

This kind of DLC is AMAZING. Not only does it sell the game, but it also sells the technology of the PS3 and Guerilla’s engine. Thanks for making this. This is what I’m going to show to my friends to get them to wonder why they have any other system other than a PS3. I really look forward to playing around with the lighting options now that I have completed the Killzone 2 single player campaign to see how the graphics were put together.

+ Tondog on April 2nd, 2009 at 12:00 pm said:

Thanks! I hope to see more of this kind of stuff on PSN because I’m fascinated at how these kinds of things are done. Oh, and as proof that what is shown in the ad can be done in real time, just to silence all the doubters out there. :D

+ cnn93 on April 2nd, 2009 at 12:03 pm said:

Ive heard about it on GTTV, kind of late for the official PS bog.

+ zombie9 on April 2nd, 2009 at 12:05 pm said:

This is why Playstation is the best!!!!

+ The_Punisher111 on April 2nd, 2009 at 12:06 pm said:

meh ….

+ InFaMoUs1- on April 2nd, 2009 at 12:06 pm said:

sweet thanks guys

+ inveigle on April 2nd, 2009 at 12:10 pm said:

Sounds cool!

+ Scodo_Thope on April 2nd, 2009 at 12:11 pm said:

AWESOME!

I ‘Kill’ for this kind of content!

I’m ready to get into the ‘zone’!

;P

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on April 2nd, 2009 at 12:13 pm said:

Awesome, this is great. It will be free right?

+ ne4ious on April 2nd, 2009 at 12:14 pm said:

Bravo Zulu on a job well done.

+ ChainClutch on April 2nd, 2009 at 12:14 pm said:

For whoever hasnt brought Killzone 2 yet, you are missing out! Please go out today and buy it! not only will you be supporting first party title, but you will NOT regret buying it. As for this download, I’m looking forward to it. Thanks GG. All we need now is some downloadable content, you know like new maps, new game modes and certainly new weapons.

+ iyzy on April 2nd, 2009 at 12:15 pm said:

is this coming to the european psn

Scott Steinberg's Avatar