LittleBigPlanet 3

PixelJunk Eden Encore Launching on PSN this Thursday

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar + Posted by Dylan Cuthbert on Apr 13, 2009 // President and Executive Producer, Q-Games Ltd.

Hey PixelJunk fans,

Just a quick blog update today to let everyone know the expansion pack for PixelJunk Eden hits PSN this Thursday, April 16! In three days you can download PixelJunk Eden Encore for only $5.99.

If you haven’t played the original, then now is the time to start doing so because the Encore expansion pack is something you’re not going to want to miss out on! We’ve put a lot of effort into making Encore have the best of everything from the original game, with great pacing, well-designed levels and heaps of new ideas… have a read of my earlier blog entry for more information about what we have added.

So now I wonder who will be first to discover the cool Easter Egg (appropriate time of year too!) at the end of the game…

In other news, PixelJunk Eden was nominated three times at the Independent Games Festival a couple of weeks back. Yes, even though Sony Computer Entertainment publishes PixelJunk titles in the West (well, who better to turn to in order to release a PSN game, right?), PixelJunk is completely independently funded and created by us here at Q-Games. Unfortunately we didn’t win an award but just the nominations made us happy enough as it was our first time at such an award show.

We’re busy working the fourth installment for PixelJunk and I’ll post more info about that in a little while. All I can say is that the game is really unique and a lot of fun – and very pretty to look at.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Anubis80 on April 13th, 2009 at 1:41 pm said:

Cool. Didnt care for PixelJunk Monsters but this looks better.

+ The_Punisher111 on April 13th, 2009 at 1:41 pm said:

FIRST FINALLY

I hope this dont disappoint

+ gamesrule on April 13th, 2009 at 1:41 pm said:

Cool thanks love the pixeljunk series!!!

+ Poopypirate on April 13th, 2009 at 1:42 pm said:

this looks really tight! better than monsters i spose

+ V_Ben on April 13th, 2009 at 1:46 pm said:

this reminds me, i need to finish Eden before i buy this. I’m going for all of the spectra :P

+ DeforMAKulizer on April 13th, 2009 at 1:47 pm said:

Awesome! Can’t wait for the fourth PixelJunk game =D Thanks Dylan!

+ XxBigP123xX on April 13th, 2009 at 1:50 pm said:

Not sure if I want encore. After garden 7 I just gave up.

+ Jezer29 on April 13th, 2009 at 1:52 pm said:

I’m sold. I love this game for its innovation. Keep up the good work guys, can’t wait to see that your 4th installment is going to be.

@ 2 You disappointed me with your slow internet and pointless 1st post.

+ Slipping_halo on April 13th, 2009 at 1:54 pm said:

I have the original, and was just wondering if you need the first Eden, or can this be stand alone?

+ skynidas on April 13th, 2009 at 1:54 pm said:

This looks totally awesome, I found all the spectras in Pixeljunk Eden, im definitely getting this.

About the easter egg, Spring, Flower, Blooming…hmmmm

+ Jezer29 on April 13th, 2009 at 1:55 pm said:

@7 IDK how long its been since you played but there was an update that made the game a bit less frustrating Lmao… I was stuck on that garden and the update helped.. Check it out.

+ Ausohoj on April 13th, 2009 at 1:56 pm said:

WOO HOO!! Eden Encore is finally coming! I’m so happy!

+ Anubis80 on April 13th, 2009 at 1:58 pm said:

See I might get Eden and Encore this week. I bought Monsters and Encore and was really pissed off that it was just a tower defend game that I could play for FREE on the internet. Now it wasnt PixelJunk Monsters but still the same concept.

Also how many tower defend games do we need on the PS3?

1. PixelJunk Monsters and Encore
2. Savage Moon
3. Comet Crash

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on April 13th, 2009 at 7:07 pm said:

You could say the same about any gaming genre ;-)

However, Monsters is without a doubt the best there is. (of course I am slightly biased so take that with a pinch of salt)

ps. the games you are playing for \”FREE\” are funded by the advertising you are being blasted with every time you play, it\’s the difference between HBO and network TV.

+ RafiParrr on April 13th, 2009 at 2:02 pm said:

Any chance of a bundle including the original and expansion at a discounted price, maybe like the flOw one?

+ Returners on April 13th, 2009 at 2:02 pm said:

Day one. Love the PixelJunk series.

+ EddyxMob on April 13th, 2009 at 2:08 pm said:

ima pick up eden with the expansion very soon now

+ BigPoppaB on April 13th, 2009 at 2:11 pm said:

I’m a little hazy on this.. wonder if you could clear a question up.

I already bought, and enjoyed PJE for $10 at launch. Is this $5.99 expansion the original game + new content or is solely the new content? I’m kind of hesitant of basically rebuying the game, and would rather just get the new content

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on April 13th, 2009 at 7:08 pm said:

The 5.99 is only for the new content, you need to have the original game in order to enjoy the expansion.

+ DanielMeier on April 13th, 2009 at 2:13 pm said:

Still have to finish PixelJunk Eden, better get cracking.

+ Marauderxt on April 13th, 2009 at 2:18 pm said:

Love Eden I’ve been playing since it came out in August, I haven’t even finished yet! I mostly play it after a real bad day at work and when I do it really calms me down. I plan on getting this too. Great work

+ abandonnez2 on April 13th, 2009 at 2:20 pm said:

All I have finished is garden one. It’s a hassle to do them all :(

When is FFVII coming to the US PSN?
Also when are we getting a well needed avatar update?

+ katsuo7171 on April 13th, 2009 at 2:22 pm said:

Great Job guys all your games except racers were really fun, I expect no less from this game. However I hope there’s more to the game than more trophies and the 5 new game modes. It seems like this could have been implemented as a DLC. Are we still using the same concept when it comes to gameplay, any new features you can discuss with us?

Thanks

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on April 13th, 2009 at 7:10 pm said:

It is DLC, sorry about the confusion here. You need to own the original in order to play Encore.

There are some very cool new gameplay concepts, it\’s not just extra levels.

+ LunaSaisho on April 13th, 2009 at 2:24 pm said:

I ask and I ask and I ask … Puzzle Quest Galactrix. It’s been out for a week on 360, for at least a month on DS and PC, and no one is saying a word about the PS3 version. I knew LAST week that OutRun Arcade is coming out for 360 THIS week, but you won’t say a word about PQ Galactrix. Please, what is the hold up??

+ Wafi24 on April 13th, 2009 at 2:31 pm said:

nice but wats up with it being 5.99 i mean why not just 4.99 or at least five why does it matter over that one stinking dollar why cant it be even

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on April 13th, 2009 at 7:11 pm said:

This expansion pack took us a lot of effort and time (and hence cost) to make so we feel it warrants the extra dollar. (think of it like a tip!)

+ AdamMadman on April 13th, 2009 at 2:34 pm said:

Considering you completely lied to the entire world about the nature of Eden I’d say you don’t deserve another frikkin dollar from anyone.

You claimed Eden was a relaxing, and soothing experience….when it fact it was stressful, painfully and torturingly times disaster that was in no way fun, due to the ridiculous gameplay mechanics, especially with the might-as-well-be-unkillable enemies in Garden 5 onward.

Make a game worth getting an award, and maybe you’ll win. I for one and glad PixelJunk did not win the award. You do NOT deserve the kudos you get from so many Sony fans.

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on April 13th, 2009 at 7:16 pm said:

Sorry to hear you had such a hard time – our games simply aren\’t for some people.

It might be worth you trying the latest version of the game which was made a little \”softer\” in January, then you might be able to discover what lots of other people have.

ps. even my mum is on the fiftieth Spectra with no help from me so maybe there is some fundamental rule you are struggling with? Remember to use the spin attack to knock out the enemies as well as the SIXAXIS drop attack.

+ Dehshizknight on April 13th, 2009 at 2:41 pm said:

Haha, saw this on Cuthbert’s Facebook the other day and I saw Jeff denying it to someone else that was commenting on the PS Blog.

+ Thrasher20 on April 13th, 2009 at 2:44 pm said:

I bet sNskid can’t wait for this game! ;)

+ xI-Red-Ix on April 13th, 2009 at 2:47 pm said:

can’t wait

+ mywhitenoise on April 13th, 2009 at 2:50 pm said:

Kind of sucks that the add-on is almost as expensive as the game.

+ MazzingerZ on April 13th, 2009 at 2:51 pm said:

It sounds great! I have a couple of Q but first a little blablabla:

1.-I own but haven’t beaten PixelJunk Monsters yet (I must confess I was waiting for the patch that introduced the “easy” difficulty level but hey I’m a father of 2 little girls so no much time to game at night…and also I suck :) )

2.- Strangely, I find the difficulty level and “stress” found in the before-patch version of Eden so addictive that I’m hardly one of those that complained or demanded a patch… I’m trying to get the “open all seeds” trophy for each garden…I’m half way..

In both cases I’m planning to get the Encore expansion packs…I wonder about 2 things:

a) Do/Should I need to beat the game to enjoy the Encore expansion packs?

b) If not, would I want to continue playing the “original” game after playing the Encore or do you recommend beating the game first and then continuing with Encore?

both Q are kind of related, if not the same LOL

Greetings from Sweden!

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on April 13th, 2009 at 7:21 pm said:

The Encore expansion packs are created so you can enjoy them without having completed the previous games… we thought it would be more fun if you can simply branch into the Encore worlds (in both Monsters and Eden) and try them out.

You\’ll definitely still feel the urge to complete the originals after playing the Encore expansions too, especially because after the extra practice you\’ll find you are better at the games all round.

+ BEASTXJASON on April 13th, 2009 at 2:54 pm said:

If they remove the pixel junk logo from the bottom of the screen im in for sure. I only play the other one for 10 mins at a time, scared of burn in

+ Delriach on April 13th, 2009 at 2:57 pm said:

Woot. Can’t wait. I’m getting this.

+ kiddstir on April 13th, 2009 at 3:02 pm said:

r u guys gonna have any deals for the game+bosster? i was away during the $10 deal and don’t see myself getting this unless its under $15 ;) (tight budget) played the demo though and thought it was great … the new expansion looks great too guys so keep it up :)

+ jqtaxpayer on April 13th, 2009 at 3:03 pm said:

Hmm, never got around to finishing the original game. Maybe I should go ahead and do that.

+ McSpatrick on April 13th, 2009 at 3:04 pm said:

I remember buying Eden for 5 bucks. Someone want to explain how an expansion pack costs a dollar more?

On a side note… I’m really enjoying how gamers get raped with these online purchases more and more now. Can’t wait to see what happens next generation. Maybe I should just bend over now?

+ bdavid81 on April 13th, 2009 at 3:06 pm said:

I haven’t played PJ Eden yet. Bought the game back when it was on a deal where we got PJ Monsters Encore for free. I’ll likely but this one just to have it though.

+ jipmg on April 13th, 2009 at 3:28 pm said:

Im buying it, Pixel junk series = amazing

+ INTVGene on April 13th, 2009 at 3:33 pm said:

Great news..

Any new trophies for this expansion?

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on April 13th, 2009 at 7:22 pm said:

yes, there is a whole set of new trophies for the Encore gardens.

+ Korbei83 on April 13th, 2009 at 3:35 pm said:

I’m still working on Eden, but I might check out Encore.

Can’t wait to hear about the next game.

+ mgrantz on April 13th, 2009 at 3:38 pm said:

I’ll be getting this. But any chance you can fix the “All Spectra Found” trophy glitch?

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on April 13th, 2009 at 7:22 pm said:

Yes it is fixed – the original Eden will also be patched on the same day and you will get your trophy retro-actively.

+ joejohnPSN on April 13th, 2009 at 4:01 pm said:

I would also like to know whether or not we can jump right into the new levels after we buy Eden Encore. I lost my original game save and I don’t want to have to play through stuff I’ve already done just to get a chance to play what I’ve bought.

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on April 13th, 2009 at 7:23 pm said:

You only have to get two or three Spectra to show you have been through the tutorial/hints and then Encore is open to you.

+ Presskohle on April 13th, 2009 at 4:04 pm said:

Do I need to complete the main game before I can access the new gardens? My PS3 died and I lost my hard-earned 50/50 Spectra savegame. ;(

+ T3mpr1x on April 13th, 2009 at 4:08 pm said:

“All I can say is that the game is really unique and a lot of fun – and very pretty to look at.”
But doesn’t that apply to all PixelJunk titles? :)

+ Kinetic808 on April 13th, 2009 at 4:08 pm said:

OMG AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
last week we we got rag doll kung fu now this….(yay)
keep them coming :)

+ starBlinky01 on April 13th, 2009 at 4:28 pm said:

my god I am buying this 100% very first second it pops up on PSN. I played the last one everysingle day. I got every single trophy and beat the entire game with all collectibles.

I owned pixel junk monsters and LOVED it, I got to the 3rd end boss, then my PS3 broke and had to reformat and lost the game along with Warhawk which I payed full price for off PSN, and many other games as well. I forgot what my password was so I couldn’t get it back, then created another account with the same email address, then my old account got erased!!

Tried to contact Sony support but it was always an answering machine bull crap, I want to talk to humans!!

So any ways. Can I have a free voucher for Monsters, I will buy the expansion pack if you do. :)

+ Sharingan_itachi on April 13th, 2009 at 4:33 pm said:

not my type of the game but still kinda of like it.

+ Smokey on April 13th, 2009 at 4:51 pm said:

I must be in the small percentage that doesn’t get the appeal of this game…not knocking it; just glad they release a wide spectrum of games.

+ infamousXX87XX on April 13th, 2009 at 4:55 pm said:

i probably be getting encore, great job Q-Games

+ Unknown_Hero on April 13th, 2009 at 5:12 pm said: