Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Apr 13

PixelJunk Eden Encore Launching on PSN this Thursday

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar Posted by Dylan Cuthbert on Apr 13, 2009 // President and Executive Producer, Q-Games Ltd.

Hey PixelJunk fans,

Just a quick blog update today to let everyone know the expansion pack for PixelJunk Eden hits PSN this Thursday, April 16! In three days you can download PixelJunk Eden Encore for only $5.99.

If you haven’t played the original, then now is the time to start doing so because the Encore expansion pack is something you’re not going to want to miss out on! We’ve put a lot of effort into making Encore have the best of everything from the original game, with great pacing, well-designed levels and heaps of new ideas… have a read of my earlier blog entry for more information about what we have added.

So now I wonder who will be first to discover the cool Easter Egg (appropriate time of year too!) at the end of the game…

In other news, PixelJunk Eden was nominated three times at the Independent Games Festival a couple of weeks back. Yes, even though Sony Computer Entertainment publishes PixelJunk titles in the West (well, who better to turn to in order to release a PSN game, right?), PixelJunk is completely independently funded and created by us here at Q-Games. Unfortunately we didn’t win an award but just the nominations made us happy enough as it was our first time at such an award show.

We’re busy working the fourth installment for PixelJunk and I’ll post more info about that in a little while. All I can say is that the game is really unique and a lot of fun – and very pretty to look at.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ starBlinky01 on April 13th, 2009 at 7:32 pm said:

ah Dylan, so you are announcing today that the secret at the end of the game is a new mode of gameplay?

interesting :)

+ Gumbydunzeeto on April 13th, 2009 at 7:39 pm said:

And when the disc based, physical media version comes, I’ll be happy to buy it.

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on April 13th, 2009 at 8:21 pm said:

Hey, in Asia (outside of Japan) we sell a 3-in-1 bundled blu-ray edition of PixelJunk (you get Racers, Monsters, Eden and the the two released soundtracks). If you are really that desperate for a physical media version you can buy it from play-asia.com

+ Bigbiki on April 13th, 2009 at 7:50 pm said:

This is a day one buy for me. Cant wait to try it out, I loved Eden. I think $5 for a full game add on is not bad at all.

+ Ikki_Fenix on April 13th, 2009 at 8:22 pm said:

what is next for Q games?

+ gadwiin on April 13th, 2009 at 8:39 pm said:

Awesome, more Pixeljunk goodness is always welcome. I really do hope that you’r next game in the series finally is Pixeljunk Dungeons. Would love to see you tackle an simplified Diablo type of game.

+ Gumbydunzeeto on April 13th, 2009 at 8:42 pm said:

Hey Dylan – I appreciate the information, because I didn’t know that.

But why the smeg is North America being continually discriminated against?

What is Sony’s problem?

Why are they making the people who want disc based games jump through hoops to get games?

First this, now Patapon 2, it is incredibly frustrating.

+ Jackal888 on April 13th, 2009 at 8:59 pm said:

Noooo, my PS3 broke! It won’t boot and I get red flashing lights. I will have to wait to buy Eden Encore. I hope it will come back soon.

+ BigPoppaB on April 13th, 2009 at 9:23 pm said:

Ok, thanks for clearing that up about it being DLC and not a new game. I’m actually only about halfway through the game.. I wish you could just get as many spectra as possible in a play through without having to restart after getting each spectra. Admit it.. this was just a ploy to extend the playtime lol

I will probably get it eventually, but $5.99 is a bit much for DLC on a downloadable game…

+ Dexiro on April 13th, 2009 at 9:39 pm said:

hopefully a first day buy for me
love the new music too :)

will there be an encore for racers?
it really needs some big improvements, it’d be nice to see it brought to the standard of your other 2 games

also.. any teasers for 1-4? ^^

+ Maguss on April 13th, 2009 at 9:44 pm said:

Sweet I can’t wait to try it, and when are we going to find out more information about your next game!? It’s the dungeon crawler right?! I love all your games so far, I think you guys can make an awesome RPG type game. I hope we hear something soon!

+ Frostquake on April 13th, 2009 at 9:59 pm said:

Sorry Saving room for Fat Princess. Space on my PS3 is now a scarce commodity. PJE Demo was WAY TOO STRESSFUL, Thank God I didn’t buy it, and never will! The soundtrack alone didn’t fit the vibe you were selling that this was a relaxing game. Release a PJE: Redux and completely change the soundtrack to something that dosen’t sound like a robot hurking up a lung and more people may buy it! If they can get past some of the insane difficulty…AHHHHhhh gotta stop writing about this, even the thought of PJE “Grinds My Gears!”

+ acerazer1 on April 13th, 2009 at 10:00 pm said:

Can’t FLICKIN wait.

+ mgrantz on April 13th, 2009 at 10:25 pm said:

Glad your patching to fix the trophy glitch. Thanks. I can’t wait til Thursday to buy Eden Encore!

+ Blkant on April 13th, 2009 at 10:27 pm said:

My brother hates games, he thinks that they’re mind numbing and in all cases an escape from reality (yet it was him who got me interested in games when I saw him playing Doom I/II, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake I back in the day… That makes me feel old now…). I tried showing him the PS3 and he always blew it off. After showing him Folklore he bashed it but not as much, I showed him Valkyria Chronicles and he bashed even less. I showed him Motorstorm Pacific Rift and he stopped insulting games and said the PS3 was “slightly less than garbage”. Now I made sure not to exaggerate any of this, really. But I was casually playing Pixel Junk monsters and he was intrigued when he noticed it. I showed him Little Big Planet. But it was when I shoed him Eden that he actually, I kid you not, bought a PS3. He owns only four games now, guitar hero for his gf, LBP, Monsters, and Eden for himself. I dare say your games actually sold a $300 (the sony sale made it $100 less) console as well as gave me a new person to play with :) Just thought that might interest you and I mean it when I say that is literally what happened, no exaggerations.

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on April 13th, 2009 at 11:07 pm said:

That\’s a cool story… it\’s cool to hear that Eden really inspires some people. Now to work on Sony to get some royalty from the PS3 sales ;-)

+ MegadethAndy on April 13th, 2009 at 10:36 pm said:

Wow, a system seller? lol

+ gln555 on April 13th, 2009 at 10:57 pm said:

Yes, I have been supper excited for this since I first heard about it. I love the first game I am in the top 1000 on the score board last time I looked. I played this game like crazy. I loved the game but once I got all of the spectra I find my self only playing it once in a while and I almost never play the higher boards now (too stressful).

Love the game. Never have sworn at a game more than this in a really long time. I have to agree with other posters this is not a relaxing game this is a pump your blood pressure up, Yell at the stinking timer, Oh I can’t believe I just missed that last jump, type of game.

I still love it. Its challenging all of the pixeljunk games are; that is why I am a huge fan. I will buy this probably day one.

I have to second an above comment I would love to see online play I only have two controllers and can’t find another person that will play it with me.

+ PullusPardusUS on April 14th, 2009 at 2:22 am said:

Q-Games = Epic win.

Seriously did you guys think your going to get this much praised when you guys started?

each time everyone talks about Independent games they talk about PJ Monsters and PJ Eden.
Good job.

+ Mouzreaper on April 14th, 2009 at 3:16 am said:

What do you do in this game?

+ tobi316 on April 14th, 2009 at 3:44 am said:

PixelJunk Eden doesn’t have 5.1 audio, does Encore add 5.1 audio to the game?

+ Sakimori_X on April 13th, 2009 at 11:34 pm said:

More Eden? HELL … (wait for it) … YES !!!

+ Gumbydunzeeto on April 13th, 2009 at 11:57 pm said:

Dylan, I’m genuinely curious as to whether you think PixelJunk being download only helps or hinders it.

Please give an honest answer, and not a PR answer.

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on April 14th, 2009 at 12:34 am said:

put it this way, there aren\’t many 2d games selling at full price on blu-ray – physical media increases the price the software has to sell at unfortunately. I think PSN allows us to sell our games at a good price for everyone. You get really good value.

+ SeventhAxes on April 14th, 2009 at 4:19 am said:

Any chance of getting a online co-op for Encore? :p

+ Gumbydunzeeto on April 14th, 2009 at 4:27 am said:

No, there’s not many 2D games on Blu-Ray, but I was thinking more along the lines of this coming out on PSP.

+ Grinchy on April 14th, 2009 at 4:44 am said:

This is bought already. As soon as I heard about the Encore for this it was bought. I can not wait!

+ MiltonMafia on April 14th, 2009 at 5:15 am said:

Loved monsters, loved eden. You guys rock.
Can hardly wait for Encore.

Can’t wait to see whats next from Q.

+ Rival_31 on April 14th, 2009 at 5:40 am said:

I’m picking this one up!
From the PSN!

+ almighty-slayer on April 14th, 2009 at 6:27 am said:

The difficulty curve in Eden was IMMENSE. I was having fun until i got to Garden 7 and then it all went wrong. Ha.

Oh well, i will end up buying this anyway purely because i love you folks at Q-Games and you deserve my money.

+ AdamMadman on April 14th, 2009 at 6:35 am said:

You completely missed the point. You 100% misrepresented Eden. If I wanted to buy a game that would I thought would be extra challenging and require extra effort…I would have bought that. But what I wanted – and what you had advertised the whole way, 100%, right up until release – is that Eden was a relaxing, go-at-your-own-pace type game. That is what I wanted, and that is what I thought I was buying. You and your team were very dishonest about the nature of Eden. Which is where my anger sprouts from.

If I tried hard enough, I could continue on in Eden, but the game just isn’t that fun, especially not when I want to be able to play it at my own pace, not your ridiculously fast pace. And I’m aware that it was made easier, but it disables trophies…and that is disingenuous. You patch a game to make it how you had initially described it, and then insult the gamers who decide to play it as originally intended. **** that, you’ll never see another dollar from me.

I hope PixelJunk sinks in this economy.

+ joejohnPSN on April 14th, 2009 at 6:40 am said:

Thanks for answering my earlier question, Dylan. (Post #41) Keep up the good work!

+ mafecto on April 14th, 2009 at 7:20 am said:

it’s just a game, dude.

it was only 10 bucks.

+ VofEscaflowne on April 14th, 2009 at 7:20 am said:

From my experience anyway, I returned to Eden after taking a break from it for the same reason. It had gotten pretty difficult for me and I got turned off from the gameplay for a while and moved onto other games. But this patch, as far as I know, makes the game easier overall and does NOT disable trophies, unless there’s yet another option that makes it even easier. I was able to beat most levels, even the last ones, on my first try. Then I got hooked and got all 50 Spectra… and now I can’t wait for this pack. You’re way too frustrated at a game that cost so little.

+ Onna76_NL on April 14th, 2009 at 7:37 am said:

Not sure, I already found PJE to be frustrating enough as it is. That’s why I quit after Garden 7, even the patch didn’t help. Just don’t like it anymore.

Mind you that Gumbydunzeeto whines in every single PSN blog about a disc version.

+ PirateThom on April 14th, 2009 at 7:40 am said:

Game design is a funny thing, I don’t find Eden to be misrepresented.

To me, PixelJunk Eden is a very relaxing game, but I also find Rez to be a very relaxing game.

I die a lot in both, bit the music, the visuals and the gameplay of both mean I never

Yes, it can be frustrating, but it’s still fun and, frankly, what’s the point of easy trophies?

Q-Games will definitely have my support. While I didn’t enjoy Racers or Monsters (not personally my thing), I definitely defend their choices and their ability to provide something for everyone.

+ HouseMorton on April 14th, 2009 at 7:45 am said:

Can’t wait! PixelJunk always makes the best quality games.

+ Blkant on April 14th, 2009 at 8:19 am said:

Wow my english was atrocious in my last post O_O Hope any of the work I was doing a long side didn’t turn out that way :/ Should have looked it all over, cause you know, college professors don’t like it when you write like *insert something clever but not too offensive for the blog*. I apologize to anyone who attempted reading, that, thing…

+ Onna76_NL on April 14th, 2009 at 8:43 am said:

@PirateThom, frustration is one thing but if it gets you that hard on your nerves its no fun anymore. If fun loses in a game for me I quit. And I’m not talking about trophies, I no longer care about trophies and no longer intend to collect them. As long as trophies aren’t benefitional I don’t see the reason to frustrate myself over hard to get trophies, if I can’t do anything with it besides bragging to my PSN friends.

Don’t get me wrong Q Games, I find PJE one of the most original games on the PSN and I’ve supported you with PJM (+Encore) which is truly amazing and PJE from day one. Only from Garden 7 its getting too much on my nerves. You deserve all the support you can get, honestly and if people like original, indie games like these, they should really get it :-)

+ StalkingSilence on April 14th, 2009 at 8:47 am said:

I like playing the game on my PSP via Remote Play, but without the ability to do the SIXAXIS move, my gameplay is extremely limited – especially on time-pressured levels. Please consider button mapping this move.

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on April 14th, 2009 at 9:16 pm said:

It is button-mapped (triangle I think).

+ TwinDad on April 14th, 2009 at 9:09 am said:

You have now forced my hand to buy that PSN card this week. I was holding off until enough games came that I could wait to get the card. But now I have to get PJE Encore.

Any hint to when we might see the next in the series. This year, or Next year? The rest of my PJ downloads are getting lonely. BTW the sound tracks are awesome, I copied them to my MP3 player and listen while I mow the lawn.

+ Fraggle_46 on April 14th, 2009 at 9:36 am said:

Now I only have 61% of the trophies for pixeljunk eden

I wish this expansion would hurry up and come out so I can have 100% again =P

Can’t wait!

+ AdamMadman on April 14th, 2009 at 11:42 am said:

Hey Q-games,

See that post above this one about Magic Ball and Cuboid? Maybe you should take some hints on how to market games, tweak difficulty and overall represent your titles.

+ Dexiro on April 14th, 2009 at 11:59 am said:

Adam are you still crying about their games being too hard?

just because you don’t like their games doesn’t mean they’re bad
i don’t like monsters, but i still know it’s an awesome game

and so what if they said eden was meant to be relaxing, games change a lot during production, and I’m sure there are people out there who do find it relaxing

no offence just give them a break, they’re doing a good job :)

+ Anddo on April 14th, 2009 at 12:48 pm said:

Soooo Good :)

+ guitain on April 14th, 2009 at 1:43 pm said:

YAY! I wish my friends would get over the “Awww, it’s too hard and weird!”-phase…

+ neorudemovement on April 14th, 2009 at 1:59 pm said:

i will be buying this right away :)

+ Jackal888 on April 14th, 2009 at 3:47 pm said:

I am amazed at comments that this game is too hard. You do not have to get all spectra to get to the next level. You can go back and get them later. This game is relaxing. Getting all the trophies is hard, but they are supposed to be for people who have mastered the game.

Try playing Ghouls N’ Ghosts that is a hard game.

+ Sekoku on April 14th, 2009 at 3:50 pm said:

Bundle? I’d buy Eden and Encore if there was a bundle price.

Will not get Monsters, I dispise the upgrade wait. I wish it was more like Savage Moons “you said upgrade and I’ll start to do that so you don’t have to sit here dumbly and dance to make me a priority upgrade.”

Still, kudos for supporting your games.

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on April 14th, 2009 at 9:23 pm said:

You can pop open the menu and upgrade immediately. The dance-upgrade is for when you are out of gems or you have nothing better to do.

+ Ixionx on April 14th, 2009 at 4:31 pm said:

Can’t wait for this to come out! My girlfriend and I are desperately hoping that you one day release another island for PixelJunk Monsters, and even more levels for Eden. Out of all the games I own, PixelJunk ones are about the only ones we keep coming back to every weekend or so, even though we’ve finished them completely! So much fun!

+ JesseHaysFL on April 15th, 2009 at 1:06 am said:

Mr. Cuthbert,

My girfriend and I both enjoy monsters and eden immenseley we even call monsters “babies” (a refrence to the ones you save/protect) a name she came up with and it stuck, so on to the question will she and I see any new babies levels ever or is monsters put to bed now? I really hope you add another expansion as we both have enjoyed your games and there expansion soon to be expansions. Thanks again for a great game and I hope you get a chance to read my post even if you don’t respond.

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on April 15th, 2009 at 9:01 pm said:

we call them babies too :-)

+ Watchmann on April 15th, 2009 at 4:25 am said:

I will definitely pick up PJE & PJM … eventually. Depending on reviews, the DLC pricepoint might be well worth it. My issue is I have trouble shelling out $10 for either of the full games, given that both have been up for sale, sometimes at half off (I missed the sales!). So I will be the one sulking in the corner, awaiting another sale. At that point, I will pick’em up .. I promise!

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on April 15th, 2009 at 9:02 pm said:

Hey.. don\’t be too stingy, we need the money to make more PixelJunk games!

+ SarshelYam on April 15th, 2009 at 7:29 am said:

I spent ample time with this at Sony’s Bloggers.Lounge at GDC. It is fantastic to say the least. I’ve been purchasing every PJ release DAY ONE without hesitation and I’m extremely happy with each one (and looking forward to what’s next).

With that said, as much as I’d love to ask a question about Encore, I have to ask about what’s next. Will we see an unveil at this years E3? I have to imagine the answer is a resounding yes, but please confirm as my hunger can barely be sated by the mere thought of it.

One last thing, thank you and your team for producing such a fantastic and accessible series of games. Both my wife and I have enjoyed the series and hope you continue this lovely relationship with the PlayStation Network.

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on April 15th, 2009 at 9:00 pm said:

we\’re really busy on the next installment on the PixelJunk series and it is going to be the best PixelJunk game yet. Hopefully we can start showing stuff in a month or two!

PAGE 1 2 3