PS4-The Order

Pata-post Friday Presents: Rumors are True! Patapon 2 is Going Digital!

Chris Hinojosa-Miranda's Avatar + Posted by Chris Hinojosa-Miranda on Apr 17, 2009 // Producer

TGIPBD Patapeeps! (or Thank Goodness It’s Patapost Blog Day!)

We’ve got some great news and then we’ve got some other great news. So let’s skip the formalities and jump right in.

First off, I wanted to invite you all to the epic launch party we’ll be having for Patapon 2. Location: your house.

Now you might be asking yourself: how the jebus are we planning to host an epic pata-party at *your* house? Quite simple actually, we’re going to harness the mighty power of a little thing I like to call “the internets” and give you all a chance to download Patapon 2 directly to your PSP.

Now the mighty power of the drum is but a point-and-click away.

Yes, the rumors are true (way to ruin a surprise, ars technica!): Patapon 2 offers fans a new way to get their Pata-on with a digital-only release for your PSP.

For the Patapeeps who want and need a box on their shelves:
No worries, on May 5th, (Cinco de Pata-yo) Patapon 2 voucher cards will ship out to retail stores in the normal PSP packaging along with a printed manual. The voucher will have a code which you can redeem on the PlayStation Network so you can get drumming.

PSP Patapon 2 retail package

For those of you who don’t want to change out of your jammies to go shopping:
On Thursday May 7th, Patapon 2 will go up on the PlayStation Network for your download pleasure.

What about us, the faithful pre-order-ees?
Well, you guys will get what’s coming to ya… via mail, or whatever form of shipping you requested from the online shop you pre-ordered from. If you have any questions, please contact the retailer you pre-ordered from.

Of course there are hundreds of questions you must have about Patapon 2 as a digital only version, how to download, how to install, other Patapon 2 features, etc… and the answers will come to you via this blog, on the same pata-time, in the same pata-channel so stay tuned.

Did someone say epic party? Yes, I did, which leads right into the second great news: Patapon 2 Multiplayer!

So this is how it works….

Chris…sorry dude, you’ve run out of Blogspace…come back next week…like Wednesday-ish. – Jeff

Oh man…looks like I we got Pata-pushed today…

So I guess more details (and maybe a new trailer?) on this great feature on Patapost Wednesday!

See you then!

224 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 5

+ THE_SPANIARD on April 17th, 2009 at 3:06 pm said:

ooohhh well,

I guess Ill have to import the European release.

I love you guys but not enough to give up teh physical copy of the game

+ depward on April 17th, 2009 at 3:06 pm said:

The rumors were true!

+ mastrofallz on April 17th, 2009 at 3:07 pm said:

Looks great!

+ Santhiel on April 17th, 2009 at 3:07 pm said:

5 de Pata-yo, LOL!!! xD

+ JoE5005 on April 17th, 2009 at 3:07 pm said:

Damn you guys! What a tease for Wednesday :P

+ iExile on April 17th, 2009 at 3:11 pm said:

Pirates are to blame for this decision.

+ darthlego on April 17th, 2009 at 3:11 pm said:

How much space will the game take up on the memory stick?

+ Alex_Assassin_08 on April 17th, 2009 at 3:11 pm said:

guys…digital only?

REALLY?

hmm…glad I live in Europe :/

+ Tr3p1dat10n on April 17th, 2009 at 3:12 pm said:

So what about those people who don’t have internet access?

I realize it’s easy to get internet access for a PSP, but some people may not want to ‘steal’ internet.

Btw, PS3 version please :)

+ RaymondBel on April 17th, 2009 at 3:14 pm said:

Pata-Pata-Pata-What???

Digital only! Will it be cheaper then?

+ LokeSTL on April 17th, 2009 at 3:14 pm said:

Awesome! Now how about PSone games going digital!!! See what I did there?

+ jipmg on April 17th, 2009 at 3:17 pm said:

Say what?? PATAPON 2 MULTIPLAYER O-O if its online I will buy this game no matter what, even though im buying it.

+ DKShadow on April 17th, 2009 at 3:18 pm said:

darthlego, Patapon 2 takes up 382mb on my memory stick, so that’s nothing really. I was happy to get a digital voucer for the game when I was reviewing it and it’s most definately the way to go in the future.

+ Thrasher20 on April 17th, 2009 at 3:18 pm said:

We need more digital games! Thanks guys!

+ Ice_Pick on April 17th, 2009 at 3:20 pm said:

As much as I like having a physical copy of a game, I’m really starting to see the benefit in downloading titles for handhelds.

You don’t have to worry about losing any of your games, and if you have enough space on your memory card you can carry your entire game library around on your system.

Generally speaking, I need a hard copy of a game for anything over $15, but I might start making an exception for PSP games as soon as I get a bigger memory card.

+ destroyerofworld on April 17th, 2009 at 3:22 pm said:

dose this mean an infrastructure mode?

or maybe….. Ad-Hoc party coming to US O_o

+ almighty-slayer on April 17th, 2009 at 3:24 pm said:

Digital only?

Watch European sales skyrocket while everyone in the US imports it from here.

Serious. Download only sucks.

Great game though.

+ ts23245 on April 17th, 2009 at 3:26 pm said:

PATA PATA PATA PON

+ whiskey_14 on April 17th, 2009 at 3:27 pm said:

no thanks, going digital sounds lame.

+ StrykerIsland on April 17th, 2009 at 3:27 pm said:

I have ZERO problem with you releasing this as an exclusive digital download.

What I DO have issue with is wasting resources on an empty box for retail stores to display.

Horrible idea. Should have skipped that aspect entirely, and just sold the game on PSN.

+ Incubuster on April 17th, 2009 at 3:27 pm said:

As much as I love the idea of a more download centric future for PSP, I can’t help but not want to part with UMDs. :(

+ destroyerofworld on April 17th, 2009 at 3:29 pm said:

@ 20

its because people had already pre-ordered it in store before they announced this

+ TerryVSL on April 17th, 2009 at 3:32 pm said:

Crosses this game off buy list…

+ StrykerIsland on April 17th, 2009 at 3:33 pm said:

Then the store refunds the pre-order. Stuff happens, game’s get cancelled.

+ krae_man on April 17th, 2009 at 3:33 pm said:

I’d just like to say this decision is rediculious. This “test” should have been offering the Downloadable version day and date with the UMD release like SCEE and SCEJ are doing.

Do you want this to fail so you can justify your stupid downloadable content stratagy in NA for the PSP. Seriously how can a company so forward thinking when it comes to downloadable content on its home console be so backwards thinking when it comes to downloadable content on its portable console.

Do you think maybe you should have said this before you started preorders? Tons of people preordered this game expecting a UMD(some of them might not even have the ability to download the game).

I swear SCEA, you make horrible decisions on purpose.

+ DaWolf619 on April 17th, 2009 at 3:37 pm said:

To hell with the retailers and they’re whining. Release it on the PSN 12AM Tuesday cinco-de-pata-yo. Not only that, but give it to us for $9.99. It’s Digital, and you’ll make a killing at that price. I’m just sayin.

+ direkt57 on April 17th, 2009 at 3:40 pm said:

TEASE!!!

+ krae_man on April 17th, 2009 at 3:40 pm said:

The PS3 had had 3 games available as a download and a Retail disk day and date with eachother(SOCOM, GT5:P, and Warhawk).

The PSP has had ZERO. That is rediculous, give your heads a shake Sony.

+ dsigns209 on April 17th, 2009 at 3:40 pm said:

PSP2 is going to be UMD-less then?

+ destroyerofworld on April 17th, 2009 at 3:41 pm said:

the pricing as i hear it is

store copy= $20

PSN= $15

+ Resolver1 on April 17th, 2009 at 3:41 pm said:

This undermines the people that have no access to the internet and giving the people that do have the access no reason to go to a game store. Not only that, but the people that do buy the boxed copy have a paperweight with no value on their hands. There is no reassurance that the person will be able to download the game 5+ years from now.

Good job Sony.

+ Anubis80 on April 17th, 2009 at 3:42 pm said:

Well I figured as much since I saw that the UK stores had it for a download version or was releasing to them as download. I liked the first one.

+ almighty-slayer on April 17th, 2009 at 3:43 pm said:

I guess Sony is willing to proverbially stick a middle finger up at those that don’t want to download this? Or those that only have a small memory stick (256mb anyone?)

Seriously. Not everyone even has access to wireless networks to download it with.

+ jayyy91 on April 17th, 2009 at 3:44 pm said:

Is this the first step to a UMD-less PSP2?

+ KingSmashy on April 17th, 2009 at 3:46 pm said:

#34 has a small stick…

(I’m immature)

+ lowhonor on April 17th, 2009 at 3:48 pm said:

digital is the way to go. this is a good step for the psp. all the whiners are just making excuses to not buy the game. adapt or get left with no games.

+ SarshelYam on April 17th, 2009 at 3:48 pm said:

Great game either way. I really don’t care what form it’s delivered as long as I get it.

+ Jon_Mclane on April 17th, 2009 at 3:48 pm said:

wow, this is a very ballsy move by you guys. Hopefully it works out and we see more of this in the future, we are now one step closer to flying cars

+ almighty-slayer on April 17th, 2009 at 3:51 pm said:

I’m not making excuses. I live in England and bought it months back when it released here.

On UMD.

+ mikeholg8 on April 17th, 2009 at 3:51 pm said:

i got no room on my card and i can’t sell it on when am done with it! super. no. bye

+ destroyerofworld on April 17th, 2009 at 3:52 pm said:

btw most fast food places have free wifi now a days.

if you go and buy dinner you can download the game and most likely be done when your done eating. 382mb wont take long.

and a 520 MB card costs 4.99

+ destroyerofworld on April 17th, 2009 at 3:52 pm said:

sorry i meant 1 GB

+ hife on April 17th, 2009 at 3:52 pm said:

Wow, you guys just can’t win. The people tell you UMD’s suck. You give them digital. The people say they want their UMD’s back.

+ Tailsnakes on April 17th, 2009 at 3:57 pm said:

Well I’m gonna have to skip Patapon 2, digital only isn’t for me

+ krae_man on April 17th, 2009 at 4:00 pm said:

All the people who are saying this is a good move need to give their head a shake.

An all digital distribution future is coming, but for Sony to do anything other then offer BOTH Download and UMD simutaniously for the PSP NOW is a horrible decision.

Sony’s not stupid enough to think denying a bunch of people wanting to buy the game acess to it will increase sales.

Again I think they expect this to fail and want it to fail.

+ evildude683 on April 17th, 2009 at 4:07 pm said:

Hey Chris, slap the person responsible for this right in the face,then just explain that’s what WE think about patapon going digital.

Digital my A%$ what the hell is this?

+ emiru69 on April 17th, 2009 at 4:07 pm said:

I have to admit that I love digital downloads. I just hope that digital version its going to be cheaper than the UMD version. Meaning I understand this is business but it does not cost the same direct download that UMD versions. I think $ 15 dollars will be perfect.

+ dam6655 on April 17th, 2009 at 4:07 pm said:

This is great. All PsP games should be sold this way at retail and on Ps store.

+ Destiny89 on April 17th, 2009 at 4:14 pm said:

i think this really great, u guys should do it with all the new games

+ Lerkero on April 17th, 2009 at 4:15 pm said:

If I preorder Patapon 2 now, will I get a UMD then? I would really appreciate a UMD.

PAGE 1 2 3 5