PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Team up with PSN on Earth Day

Liz Walsh's Avatar + Posted by Liz Walsh on Apr 21, 2009 // E-Commerce Manager, PlayStation Store

EarthDay09

Hi Everyone – It’s Liz, manager for the video store. Tomorrow on Earth Day, Wednesday, April 22, we’re very excited to announce an opportunity for you to team up with PlayStation Network and help save the planet, one digital download at a time! Go to the video store tomorrow and help support Conservation International, a nonprofit organization that seeks to protect Earth’s high-biodiversity wilderness areas and important marine regions around the globe.

Then don’t forget to also visit our Featured Collections category for a special “Save Our Earth” selection of titles made up of science-fiction, action movies, anime and other films which showcase planet earth, and our effort to defend it from forces who attempt to destroy it. We’ve included such titles as Cloverfield, Hancock, The Abyss and The Day After Tomorrow for your viewing pleasure.

So, this Earth Day you can download your favorite movies and TV shows from PlayStation Store and feel good about helping our planet earth!

Also, as a reminder, video files you’ve purchased from the PlayStation Store can be backed up to an external storage device and then restored to PS3’s internal hard drive for playback – so you can clear up space on your hard drive and then restore the video anytime in the future. Try it.

And we are also pleased to reveal that one of the most environmentally friendly video games will indeed becoming to PlayStation Network North America. Trash Panic (Gomibako in Japan) will becoming to PSN this Spring… more details to come here on the blog.

Trash Panic

Trash Panic

EarthDay09

108 Comments   1 Reply

PAGE 1 2 3

+ VanilaGorila-x- on April 21st, 2009 at 8:04 am said:

Trash Panic Sounds interesting.

Peace,
VG

+ KSPRAYDAD on April 21st, 2009 at 8:05 am said:

Can I restore that ‘back up’ to a PS3 that I get back from getting my PS3 fixed?

Can I restore that ‘back up’ to the other PS3 I own and have the same PSN id on?

Nice to see a new name on the blog…perhaps you could hang out at the Thursday PSN/PSNVS updates and answer alot of questions your customers have.

+ sedPHI on April 21st, 2009 at 8:11 am said:

cool!!!

+ improperlyaged on April 21st, 2009 at 8:11 am said:

hmmmmmmmmmmmm interesting so the key to saving the planet is……giving sony money. never wouldve thought of that. so for every $10 – $15 purchase made sony will donate $1. I could save $9 – $14 and not buy some of the crap u guys pass for content instead of listening to your loyal supportes and just donate $1 myself to Conserve interantional. Maybe when sony listens to us about what content we want on the store we’ll listen to them and their crappy promotions.

+ hurtween on April 21st, 2009 at 8:12 am said:

Any word on when the video store will be coming to Canada?

+ improperlyaged on April 21st, 2009 at 8:13 am said:

on btw jus so u people realize this promotion only applies to movies and tv shows, not games. most of which can be found cheaper on amazon or ebay.

+ Stoffinator on April 21st, 2009 at 8:15 am said:

Would love too, if you made it available everywhere besides the US. Don’t know why you guys can’t do it in Canada, Live has a video store up here.

+ mixedkidbx on April 21st, 2009 at 8:16 am said:

cool. it’s always good when companys team up to help out a worthy cause

+ GordaoPreguicoso on April 21st, 2009 at 8:20 am said:

Wow global warming propaganda comes to playstation. Negative Kudos to this blog.

+ HouseOfSuffering on April 21st, 2009 at 8:20 am said:

Sweet! I was going to buy “Gomibako” off the japanese store just cause it looks so unique and I figured there was no chance in hell it was ever going to come out here. Now all I have to do is just wait till Spring………..to get it in english.

+ Blkant on April 21st, 2009 at 8:24 am said:

How is this really a earth day special group of videos with out Al Gore’s An Inconvenient Truth :) You must admit thats a good question.

+ Vengeful-Chaos on April 21st, 2009 at 8:24 am said:

Hello Liz, i’ll make you a deal i’ll purchase something to help save the Earth if you have a “Save Vengeful’s Wallet day” and let me download stuff for free?

I think that’s a good deal.

+ SolidusDave on April 21st, 2009 at 8:26 am said:

yay, I was on the fence for the english Version of Trash Panic on the Hong-kong-Store, but now I’m happy it comes to the US(/PAL) Stores :)

though lol that you combine this game with Earth Day XP

+ Ftwrthtx on April 21st, 2009 at 8:28 am said:

The trash game sounds fun. Will we ever get to try a demo?

+ GordaoPreguicoso on April 21st, 2009 at 8:28 am said:

Because Inconvenient Truth has been proven to be an over hyped lie. Do you know Al Gore makes a ton of money by selling carbon credits to people dumb enough to pay him money. He is profiting off of the hysteria he created. Do some real research and you will find that there are many scientist who do not agree with global warming and that we are just going through typical hot and cold cycles.

+ Goldcorn on April 21st, 2009 at 8:30 am said:

More PSone games please

+ adolson on April 21st, 2009 at 8:30 am said:

OK, I’ll go and buy a bunch of videos in the video st– OH WAIT, it’s not in Canada, still.

+ Officer_Obody on April 21st, 2009 at 8:33 am said:

The 1st 10,000 transactions? That’s it? I’d think donating a dollar for any transaction made during Earth Day would be more worth while. 10,000 seems little IMO.

+ nokedimyo on April 21st, 2009 at 8:36 am said:

Actually, this promotion seems to have nothing to do with “global warming.” Conservation International is about biodiversity.

+ KSPRAYDAD on April 21st, 2009 at 8:36 am said:

@11

Um…because Inconvenient Truth is full of Convenient Lies, at least 9 of them. Surprising from the guy that invented the internet I know but there you have it.

+ KillerBread on April 21st, 2009 at 8:41 am said:

lol 10k is that it

+ enormhi on April 21st, 2009 at 8:42 am said:

Treehuggers(?)

+ Returners on April 21st, 2009 at 8:48 am said:

Why not extend it to games? People not in US can’t get in on the save Earth day promo.

+ DanielMeier on April 21st, 2009 at 8:48 am said:

Cool sounds good. Maybe i should finally pick up Bionic Commando Rearmed

+ StalkingSilence on April 21st, 2009 at 8:48 am said:

Trashpanic = tetris with odd shapes and physics. Totally awesome!

Also, nice work with including “The Day After Tomorrow” in the Earth Day collection. haha pretty funny. I was worried for Earth Day that you would turn off the PSN servers to GO GREEN for a day. You have made the better choice ;)

+ Soong on April 21st, 2009 at 8:49 am said:

I really don’t think encouraging people to turn on their PS3s is saving the planet! Tut tut.

+ Midgetguy on April 21st, 2009 at 8:52 am said:

COOL! The game seems really interesting! And it’s GREAT that you kind folks are donating!

THANKS! : )

+ tsukasa1288 on April 21st, 2009 at 8:58 am said:

Sweet, too bad I have already purchased Gomi Bako off of Japan’s PSN store, its really fun, but quite challenging.

+ Zookey on April 21st, 2009 at 9:00 am said:

Cool, companies with morals and goals like this are always welcome.

You know what else would be welcome?

That trash game is the result of PlayStation C.A.M.P. (Creative Audition Mashup Project)–which takes indie game designers and gives them the chance to make PSN or PSP software…..

PLEASE PLEASE OH GOODNESS PLEASE BRING PlayStation C.A.M.P. OR AN EQUIVALENT TO AMERICA! I AM BEGGING YOU SONY PLEASE! IF MS CAN DO XNA YOU CAN SHOW THEM UP PLEEEEEEEEASE!

PlayStation C.A.M.P or PlayStation Yarouze FTW!

+ dsigns209 on April 21st, 2009 at 9:03 am said:

Cant wait for trash panic.

+ QuebecSuperstar on April 21st, 2009 at 9:03 am said:

I’ve been looking forward to Gomibako since the last E3. I’m so glad it’s going to be released here in North America.

+ AdamMadman on April 21st, 2009 at 9:07 am said:

I would support this, but Sony doesn’t support Canada. Way to be superficial about saving the planet Sony!

+ Enforcer_X on April 21st, 2009 at 9:08 am said:

I think I will just watch Planet Earth in full 1080p and Surround Sound, a quality PSN videos can’t touch!

The game looks fun though!

+ Jim777 on April 21st, 2009 at 9:08 am said:

1 dollar for every 10 k transactions…does that mean ALL Store downloads or just ones that involve money, because if its the latter you guys dont seem to be giving a lot.

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on April 21st, 2009 at 9:11 am said:

Will the donation be from every PSN transaction? or only from the content that is featured on the collection?

Liz Walsh's Avatar

+ Liz Walsh on April 21st, 2009 at 10:09 am said:

Donation will be based on movie and tv show transactions (paid content). Happy Earth Day!

+ Korbei83 on April 21st, 2009 at 9:12 am said:

I very highly doubt that the PS Video Store gets ten thousand transactions on any single day, let alone a Wednesday.

+ VixDiesel on April 21st, 2009 at 9:14 am said:

Gomibako should stay titled that way, it’s more awesome that way. But I can’t wait to get it. I was actually gonna buy the JPN version but changed my mind.

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on April 21st, 2009 at 9:15 am said:

hmm ok, only from the video store. I don’t live at the US so I’m out. Pretty mediocre campaign sony

@34: only paid transactions, sony isn’t willing to give much.

+ jqtaxpayer on April 21st, 2009 at 9:17 am said:

lol, Trash Panic. I hope there’s a demo for it, because that looks like something I’d want to try out. Speaking of PSN games, any news on when Bomberman Ultra is coming out would be VERY much appreciated.

Anyhow, as noble goals like clean air and water are, there’s got to be a better way to achieve them than by watching crappy moves.

+ bigdaddyjane on April 21st, 2009 at 9:35 am said:

If SONY is serious about EARTH DAY,then they should put ANIMAL PLANET and add DIRTY JOBS,MAN VS WILD AND TIME WARP TO THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL IN THE VIDEO STORE.

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on April 21st, 2009 at 9:43 am said:

Hi Liz, Video Store for Canada is coming when?

I hate going to Blockbuster and the like, please open it soon

+ TailsTheCat on April 21st, 2009 at 9:43 am said:

The games dont ‘become’ to the store. The games ‘will be coming’ to the store.

Idiots. They earn how much and I earn this much??
And no Patapon2 UMD?! Pathetic.

Sony gets one rung lower everytime I check on the news.

+ DTXSFC on April 21st, 2009 at 9:52 am said:

Liz when will we be able to have the video store on our PSP? I would like to purchase movies from my PSP as an option as opposed to only being able to do this from PSP Media Manager or my PS3. I am happy that we can now back up our video but I have no way of restoring video I purchased prior to the update which are no longer on my PS3 but on my PC. My PSP is the only thing I can use now to watch those movies on via my TV output. Thanks!

+ CinderShadow on April 21st, 2009 at 9:54 am said:

This International charity should benefit greatly seeing as how only Americans can contribute.

But, I do express delight that Gomibako will see release outside of Japan – it looks like such great fun. I hope you’ll have a localised trailer to share, when you next update on Trash Panic. :)
Any news you have regarding the RPG Demon’s Soul, for Westerners, would also be gratefully received.

+ r-nice on April 21st, 2009 at 9:57 am said:

I’m interested in this Trash Panic game.

+ The_Punisher111 on April 21st, 2009 at 9:57 am said:

I have one small question
What IS Earth Day?
id never did it before

Laterz
T.P.111

+ LokeSTL on April 21st, 2009 at 9:59 am said:

Pass……just catch our store up to the Japan store for cripes sake. Tired of PSN mini-games and micro downloads. Tired of the focus to the other media functions of my GAME CONSOLE.

It’s BS that 3 times as many PS3s have been sold in America than Japan, yet they get more content. More PSPs have sold in America than Japan, still they get more content. More than a third of PS3 consoles and PSPs sold IN THE WORLD have been in NA, but we still get less than Japan.

So be the squeeky wheel guys. Annoy SCEJ with our complaints and requests until they do something about it. Don’t take “no” for an answer. We’ve waited long enough.

+ HolmWrecker on April 21st, 2009 at 10:00 am said:

I’d never take part in a hoax game. Man made global warming is a myth and a hoax.
Like I’d wanna waste time playing a game that depicts us as filthy pigs that will all die if we don’t ‘fix’ the earth by playing a lame game.
One stinking dollar? That’ll fix things… Not.

+ stlthriot on April 21st, 2009 at 10:01 am said:

That looks like quite the interesting game, lol. Maybe a video of gameplay would help it make more sense. :)

+ ramb0_04 on April 21st, 2009 at 10:01 am said:

Punisher111, Earth day is a day for drones and liberal activists to try to bring some sense of purpose and meaning to their lives by hyping up a load of nonsense and junk science.

I am seriously buying a new SUV tomorrow to do my part.

PAGE 1 2 3