PS4-The Order

Noby Noby Boy Multiplayer Update

Keita Takahashi's Avatar + Posted by Keita Takahashi on Apr 23, 2009 // Namco Bandai Games

Last time I talked about the multiplayer update for Noby Noby Boy. Here, let me show you a bit more footage for the update.

I’d like to share a little bit more about Multiplayer. In Single player, the game allows BOY to eat another BOY as well as people and animals, etc. In Multiplayer though, eating everything has some funny consequences. For example, if the head of a 1P BOY eats the rear of a 2P BOY, the two players end up with a combined BOY.

Head: Player 1
Rear: Player 2

This could be very confusing because one BOY is controlled by two players. Moreover, the fact that the game is compatible for up to four players could bring even more chaotic situations. Doesn’t that sound fun?

We are almost there. Please be a little more patient.

But now that GDC is over, I’d like to thank everyone who came to see my panel. I was so relieved to see all of you because I had been so anxious thinking no one would want to hear my stories about the game. As I said in the last post, I didn’t have the time to put together what I’d say just as I was leaving Japan. Why do I need to know and prepare notes beforehand? Well, because I can’t speak English. In order to deliver my own message, it’s very important to have a prep meeting with the interpreter. As it’s sometimes difficult to convey myself to even Japanese native speakers, it shouldn’t be hard to imagine the difficulty for the interpreter of doing it in English.

After I spent sometime preparing for my speech during the flight, I thought I’d better take advantage of at least one free movie, so I watched a Japanese film called “Yureru.” Well, the movie was good but it made me feel depressed afterward and I wasn’t unable to sleep at all during the flight. Our plane arrived at the San Francisco airport around noon. I got on BART for the first time, got off at the Powell Station, and managed to get to my hotel. As you can imagine, the notes for my speech weren’t ready at the time, but I thought it’d be OK since my panel would be the following day.

After checking in, I headed out to the GDC venue to check my e-mails even though I wanted to take a breather. When I was there I found an e-mail asking me to share my speech draft with the interpreter, hopefully, by 5:00 pm. Well, it was already 5:00 pm. I said to myself, “Oh no! Sorry. I can’t do it. I’m too sleepy. I’m so sorry…” and headed back to the hotel and went to bed immediately.

Surprisingly, I woke up around 1:00 am. Isn’t this what they call “Jet Lag”? But I took it as my conscience telling me to stay up and complete a draft of my speech. So I did. In the morning, I met the interpreter at GDC, made some revisions, and finally we were ready. When I felt we were on the same page, I wanted to go back to bed, but I forced myself to get a decent meal.

With regard to my panel, all the articles say it all. I was happy that people seemed to understand and enjoy it. In fact, Noby Noby Boy for the iPhone was revealed for the first time there, and the only people who knew about it were our project staff. I heard that my supervisor was stunned. Isn’t that funny?

This is Takahashi.

68 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ spunnups on April 23rd, 2009 at 4:48 pm said:

I still haven’t picked this up because as I was about to, people said there really isn’t any gameplay. Someone please convince me one way or another why I should pick this up, or why I shouldn’t.

+ usjvc on April 23rd, 2009 at 4:51 pm said:

Will BOY be coming to playstation home and eat us all?

+ EvDeval on April 23rd, 2009 at 4:53 pm said:

That sounds really fun.

+ VincentVendetta on April 23rd, 2009 at 4:56 pm said:

Good music.

+ smokey_vols on April 23rd, 2009 at 4:57 pm said:

Without online multiplayer it won’t do any good. No one is going to come over your house to play Noby Noby Boy.

+ blindrocket on April 23rd, 2009 at 5:06 pm said:

Yay! My daughter and I will love playing this. :)

And as always, wonderful story.

+ norm01 on April 23rd, 2009 at 5:06 pm said:

“if the head of a 1P BOY eats the rear of a 2P BOY, the two players end up with a combined BOY” I think it is ingenius that you were able to include rear eating into a game. You are a powerful man, Takahashi.

I love reading your posts. Have a good day.

+ Jon_Mclane on April 23rd, 2009 at 5:10 pm said:

just picked this up last week, looking forward to this update

+ ItsNymo on April 23rd, 2009 at 5:11 pm said:

Can’t wait to see what insanity awaits in the new update!

also, Wish I could have met you during GDC! next time i guess…

+ Xoombie503 on April 23rd, 2009 at 5:11 pm said:

damn i actually thought it was gonna be online multiplayer..even tough i like the game,im pretty much done with it

+ inveigle on April 23rd, 2009 at 5:15 pm said:

An iPhone version, eh?

+ acertainkid on April 23rd, 2009 at 5:19 pm said:

Noby Noby Boy is a surprisingly fun game. When is the iphone version coming out?

+ Kirkpad on April 23rd, 2009 at 5:21 pm said:

Does anybody know how you change the shape of the NOBY house Roof? Look how crazy it looks in this and the last multiplayer video. Will house manipulation be included in the next update as well?

+ VixDiesel on April 23rd, 2009 at 5:21 pm said:

No one will EVEr play noby with me locally. If you don’t add in online, myself and others have no more reasons to play it anymore sadly.

+ Thwip on April 23rd, 2009 at 5:22 pm said:

Noby Noby Boy wasn’t for me; however my daughter enjoys it, and I am pleased to have supported your fine work. I always enjoy reading your unique posts.

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on April 23rd, 2009 at 5:22 pm said:

We play noby, they play, noby everyone play noby, Noby’s body aches from stretching, Noby can’t control his feet, Noby confused. We run, we jump, we eat,we poop, we are Noby, we Help Girl. Girl name Nabi Nabi? Noby like dream of Nabi and all of you.

lol

+ Axonn on April 23rd, 2009 at 5:22 pm said:

When will be update and iPhone version available?

+ Returners on April 23rd, 2009 at 5:23 pm said:

Please continue to make good stuff! Can’t wait for the multiplayer update. :D

+ PullusPardusUS on April 23rd, 2009 at 5:23 pm said:

i also love reading your posts, Takahashi-san ,they’re inspiring :]

+ ynp7 on April 23rd, 2009 at 5:24 pm said:

I thought you were going to quit making videogames after We <3 Katamari and focus on designing swing sets. What ever happened to that? I want a jungle gym that can eat itself and poop out a man with a giraffe head!

+ Thrasher20 on April 23rd, 2009 at 5:32 pm said:

@ sNsKid,

Download this update

+ Neil on April 23rd, 2009 at 5:32 pm said:

Amazing blog post. Can we get these everyday?

+ Dark_Vincent on April 23rd, 2009 at 5:48 pm said:

Takashi?!

THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great blog post neways :)Fun guy you should write here more often

+ Kirkpad on April 23rd, 2009 at 5:51 pm said:

There is more to this update than we know. I think it may add the ability to set your Noby color. Notice how it’s all red. Unless the color is meant to determine the player number(ie. Red is player 2). Also, the shape of the roof in the background is different. I’ve been trying to strech and move the roof and it doesn’t work.

This convinces me that there is more to come than multiplayer.

+ Tezasaurus on April 23rd, 2009 at 6:45 pm said:

Wait, so this isn’t online? That sucks :( I really want to play multiplayer, but I don’t have anybody locally who would play it with me. Please make the multiplayer online!

+ Anubis80 on April 23rd, 2009 at 6:50 pm said:

I just got this game and got all but 2 trophies so far. I have a question though, what in the hell were you guys smoking while making this? And where can I get some!?! lol I cant say I will continue the game after I get the last 2 trophies. Its just a bit too wierd for me.

+ Gumbydunzeeto on April 23rd, 2009 at 6:54 pm said:

When this game comes out on *AN ACTUAL PHYSICAL DISC*, I’ll be happy to buy and play it.

+ Shin-Ra on April 23rd, 2009 at 6:55 pm said:

The Katamari Damacy Tribute news was gratefully received, even if you’re not directly involved!

Mars was perhaps a little too ambitious a target after the moon but if you can get iPhone and future 2-stick PSP versions on the same contribution network, maybe one day we’ll get there.

+ JohnnySasaki on April 23rd, 2009 at 6:57 pm said:

Awesome! Can’t wait for multiplayer, that’s a cool story :P

+ Aotar on April 23rd, 2009 at 7:04 pm said:

u make such nice posts :)

+ NightHawk17 on April 23rd, 2009 at 7:13 pm said:

A combined boy you say, this game keeps getting better, i can’t wit till we reach the next planet:)

+ Sekoku on April 23rd, 2009 at 7:32 pm said:

Combined boy for co-op gameplay (if there is any) is a neat little idea.

I don’t feel bad wasting $5 on this, but I’ve pretty much had my fill of it in the first week.

+ will_orz on April 23rd, 2009 at 7:38 pm said:

Takahashi, you are a true gentleman. Kinda wish I lurked the Powell & Market area to catch a glimpse of you maybe, lol.

+ Ghost_Shrimp on April 23rd, 2009 at 7:54 pm said:

Can’t wait for this update, I wish you told us when it comes out. More games need to be two player.

+ dallow on April 23rd, 2009 at 8:34 pm said:

You should start your own blog!
I love your story!

+ Letters2Kay on April 23rd, 2009 at 8:35 pm said:

After hearing your comments at GDC, you made me feel like a chump for spending $5 on Noby Noby Boy. I’ve played it twice and I’ll probably never touch it again thanks to those comments. You turned what should’ve been a fun, quirky little experiment of a game into a waste of money and time for me. You insulted those of us that gave you our hard-earned money, and you insulted the Playstation brand. Maybe you should’ve been better prepared…

+ Kenshin71 on April 23rd, 2009 at 9:04 pm said:

I understand you were trying to create something without a goal but I think a little more structure would have benefitted the gameplay. It’s human nature to solve puzzles and accomplish something. As it is it gets boring quite quickly and thus becomes pointless. Maybe add a mode where you have to devour certain objects or all the objects? This doesn’t have to conflict with the current free form mode. I hope this post gets translated.

+ jimmy903 on April 23rd, 2009 at 9:14 pm said:

F’in crazy! I love it.

+ FreeQuebec86 on April 23rd, 2009 at 9:29 pm said:

Nice jobs ! The update look bigggg and fun ! Thx and keep going

+ CJSgamer on April 23rd, 2009 at 9:32 pm said:

ns1.netregistry.com.au

+ CJSgamer on April 23rd, 2009 at 9:34 pm said:

Oopps. I mean….you should let us change our usernames

+ CJSgamer on April 23rd, 2009 at 9:36 pm said:

you should let us change our usernames

+ CJSgamer on April 23rd, 2009 at 9:39 pm said:

i accidentally control+ pasted “ns1.netregistry.com.au” instead if “Oopps. I mean….you should let us change our usernames”

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on April 23rd, 2009 at 9:40 pm said:

+ Sackolf_Knitler on April 23rd, 2009 at 9:50 pm said:

Online multiplayer please! It’s a downloadable game after all! :)

+ btz on April 23rd, 2009 at 11:04 pm said:

I really love your posts!

+ sNsKid on April 24th, 2009 at 1:23 am said:

You are really down to earth and I like that.

+ SmogItUp on April 24th, 2009 at 1:45 am said:

You are awesome! I want a Noby Noby Scarf handmade by your family! Please send

+ JKC31 on April 24th, 2009 at 2:23 am said:

So this movie really screwed up a large portion of your trip. Hmmm, kind of reminds me of this game I played one time. :P

+ muzzar69 on April 24th, 2009 at 4:08 am said:

ok im going to sound like a bit of a prick here but its realy not fair what sonys doing so here i go.

with M$ whats available in US, is available in europe, is available in OZ.
sony quite the opposite.
why?

were still getting ripped of with consoles, games EVERYTHING.
exapmple ps3 game brand new US $60 AU $120 last time i checked US $60 DOES NOT= AU $120.
more like 82
last time i checked 1 ps3 80GB console in US is US $400 here in AU $700.
last time i checked USD $400 DOES NOT= AUD$700.
more like $558.
so that means were paying $38 more than the US for games hows that fair?
and were paying $142 more than the US for a PS3 hows that fair?
this is why i HATE sony they ripp me off just because of where i live.
on top of that we get 90% of the games later than the US.
we miss out on some stuff like PSN content or DEAMON SOULS.
and we miss out on Collectors editions for some reason.
sony why do you refuse to release collectors editions for games you publish R2 KZ2 Uncharted i would of loved a CE for those games.
i know insomniac and GG wanted to release a CE but YOU SAID NO WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?????
continued bellow