PS4 - Destiny

Uncharted 2 to Include Multiplayer, Beta Starts June 3rd

Evan Wells's Avatar + Posted by Evan Wells on Apr 27, 2009 // Co-President, Naughty Dog

Uncharted 2 Multiplayer

So the rumors are true and we can finally talk about it! As you’ve heard and read, UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves will have both competitive and cooperative multiplayer modes.

We managed to keep the secret completely safe for over a year and a half, but right in the home stretch before the embargo lifted today, word got out all over the internet. Of course the leaked info was only the tip of the iceberg and there is a ton of coverage being released today on dozens and dozens of websites. So, pick your favorite videogame news site and go check out the coverage from our event last week. If print magazines are your thing, we’ve gotten word that we’ll also be in more than a few magazines around the world in the next few weeks.

If you’ve been looking closely at our interviews, our team here at Naughty Dog has been growing rapidly and we now have quite a few more Dogs on staff than when work finished on UNCHARTED: Drake’s Fortune. It shouldn’t be a surprise that we had to grow our studio to tackle the task of creating fully-realized multiplayer and co-op modes that would live up to our own high standards and do the UNCHARTED universe justice. I’m incredibly proud at the excellent work our team has done so far and it shows in the solid gameplay and incredible polish of the little slice we showed press last week. And if you’re dying to get your own hands on it, don’t worry, we’re having a multiplayer beta! It starts on June 3rd and you can get access to it through vouchers in inFamous, which goes on sale May 26th.

We’ll be back soon to talk more about our single player campaign – don’t think for a second we’ve forgotten about that! The rest of our team at Naughty Dog has been hard at work pushing our engine to its limits while creating a campaign that is more expansive and more ambitious than UNCHARTED: Drake’s Fortune. They’ve even learned a few tricks from our multiplayer and co-op development – truly a win-win situation as all aspects of UNCHARTED 2 are benefiting from the work we’re putting into both single player and multiplayer modes.

Oh, wait! Before you leave check out a multiplayer trailer we just finished before the weekend.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 10

+ Gringo234 on April 27th, 2009 at 9:48 am said:

I’m sure they’ll be no bot support or split screen support.

I’m not too impressive since there’s nothing new here to see, Besides throwing the flag around the map.

+ Ausohoj on April 27th, 2009 at 9:49 am said:

I was wondering, do all copies of infamous have vouchers? or just the ones at best buy or just certain copies at certain stores?

+ Capt-Fury- on April 27th, 2009 at 9:50 am said:

they need online trophies or else theres people that wont even try those modes(something they want you to do)…but they should be balanced ones and not to hardcore like kill 10k dudes online.

+ adz2k7 on April 27th, 2009 at 9:50 am said:

I have zero interest in Uncharted 2′s MP and knowing that there is going to be 2 big features of this game, competitive MP and Co-op, is reason enough for me not to buy this.

Maybe next time.

-Ad-

+ JWun21 on April 27th, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

How was my comment “Epic Fail”? You kids now in days come up with the craziest stuff. I actually love comp mode in games like MW2, KZ2, and some other great titles. I’m just saying this is one of those games that doesn’t need that mode. Some will agree, and some won’t. Just my opinion though.

+ czakhary on April 27th, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

Wow that multiplayer looks amazing. The game play is going to work really well in this online mode. I am excited to see this!

+ mywhitenoise on April 27th, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

@103 why should we try it? I’m tired of playing Death Match and CTF…every game with online is the same.

+ JWun21 on April 27th, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

(That was towards 95)

+ paluca on April 27th, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

fantastic !!!

+ adz2k7 on April 27th, 2009 at 9:52 am said:

@ adz2k7: I meant ‘two big features of this game that I’ll never use’

-Ad-

+ TheHater2 on April 27th, 2009 at 9:52 am said:

I can’t wait for the Co-Op and Single Player. As for multiplayer, I hope the beta change my mind about it. From the video it look friken fun. I will be getting infamous and I will take part in the beta and hope that chang my mind about multiplayer.

Oh and Uncharted is my Favorite game to come out this generation across all system.

+ rickspin on April 27th, 2009 at 9:53 am said:

To be honest I was on the fence about this title but as I read trough this post and remember how much fun I had with Drake’s Fortune I’m convinced I’m totally in for this game!!!!

Thanks dogs for exceeding once again all expectations!

+ JoE5005 on April 27th, 2009 at 9:54 am said:

Most of the previews around the web is saying the CO-OP and Multiplayer are fantastic, which is good to hear. Can’t wait for this game, and especially can’t wait for InFamous.

+ inveigle on April 27th, 2009 at 9:55 am said:

Looks pretty good!

+ GooieGreen on April 27th, 2009 at 9:55 am said:

I love how ‘Ur Mom’ is getting killed in this game (1:30ish)

+ StrykerIsland on April 27th, 2009 at 9:55 am said:

lol @ people saying they won’t buy a game they were interested in because it now has MORE content.

Separate development teams, separate gameplay modes. This isn’t rocket science. The same team that made the no. 1 single player game on the PS3, the same team that created the best new franchise of this gen… are still creating the single player campaign for this sequel.

Passing on it because they are adding additional modes when you were otherwise looking forward to it is idiotic, plain and simple.

Lemme guess, these people are just jealous Xbots trolling in disguise.

Uncharted 2 will rock, there’s no doubt in my mind.

+ ritz305 on April 27th, 2009 at 9:55 am said:

WOW!!!…this is some awesome news here

thanks for the update n thanks for putting out quality work on this game ND…cant wait for InFamous n Uncharted 2 to come out… Great Job guys!!!

+ Ennikguy on April 27th, 2009 at 9:56 am said:

is the beta only avalible in the us

+ Kren420 on April 27th, 2009 at 9:56 am said:

lol they finally unblocked my comment in an earlier post linking to a website that contained this info they really were trying hard lol

+ iRoy on April 27th, 2009 at 9:57 am said:

@ Capt-Fury-

Lol, I just got my Killing Machine trophy, I love R2.

If this game is as good as the first, which it undoubtedly will be (G.O.T.Y. ’09 anyone?) then I am totally up for killing another 10,000 dudes.

+ jpd1408 on April 27th, 2009 at 9:57 am said:

This game is going to be amazing I always had faith in the MP of this game!

+ Netweb on April 27th, 2009 at 9:58 am said:

Uncharted 2 is the only game just now .. on mu pre orders and 100% confirmed buy for 2009!

+ Violater on April 27th, 2009 at 9:59 am said:

That looks bloody awesome, can not wait to get my hands on it.

+ NEJI64 on April 27th, 2009 at 9:59 am said:

Uncharted really didn’t need a MP a Co-op is awsome. i agree with people about RPG being in MP that’s one thing i hate about Killzone 2 people stand at one end of the board using them.

+ Trieloth on April 27th, 2009 at 10:01 am said:

WOW that was amazing footage and it makes me not care about RE5 anymore. Day one purchace for me.
Whats with the weirdo’s that come here complaining all the time? Are they xbots or something, cuz what they are saying is typical xbot nonsense.

+ digitalpowershot on April 27th, 2009 at 10:01 am said:

After Killzone2 another awsome game! Uncharted rocks! News about inFamous?

+ Kren420 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:02 am said:

being able to transverse everything would add a very interesting aspect to competitive online matches, however im sure its the single player campaign that will shine the best

+ DStealth on April 27th, 2009 at 10:02 am said:

Hmmm….as long as it doesn’t make the single player game suffer because of it. I loved the single player experience of the first game, so much so I went through it 4 times! Still one of the best games in my collection!

I really hope you guys know what you’re doing as I strongly believe not every game warrants multiplayer to be tacked on.

+ scorpio182 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:02 am said:

WOW!!!

Though i dont think U2 needs MP it looks great (climbing walls etc)and fun. I don’t play much MP onilne but having a third person shooter will be nice.

+ Ackers11 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:04 am said:

YES YES YES – this is fawking AWSOME! :-)

i am a happy person now and this will be a first day buy for me NO 2 WAYS ABOUT IT!

+ YoungHustla561 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:05 am said:

so this game will have split-screen co-op? =O wow I’ll get this day one if it’s true. More games need SPLIT-SCREEN CO-OP!

+ Spurvugle on April 27th, 2009 at 10:06 am said:

Will there be an beta in eu too?
I want this so much!!!

+ Mobius_124 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:06 am said:

THIS IS AN EPIC WIN!!!!!!!! I just hope the co-op isn’t as like the co-op from Resistance 2. i hope the co-op story is very meaty and amazing like the single-player story.

+ cell989 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:06 am said:

Hell yeah Co-cop is a dream come true.

+ Conrad_Max on April 27th, 2009 at 10:10 am said:

As Freddie Prinz used to say, “Looking good!”

+ Germz on April 27th, 2009 at 10:10 am said:

MP looks amazing. I can’t wait to pick it up.

+ RurouniSaiya-jin on April 27th, 2009 at 10:11 am said:

Pretty good trailer. Looks interesting. I look forward to seeing more footage as well as to hear more about the Single Player campaign.

+ LINKO18-1990 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:11 am said:

Wow that looks so sick and fun since u get to crawl on the walls and shoot at the sametime never tought it would turn out to look so impressive

+ Darkos87 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:11 am said:

I was wondering whether there will be a return of the amazing uncharted theme song

+ station3fever on April 27th, 2009 at 10:12 am said:

Mr Evan Wells, thank you for the great news. Been waiting on some news about Uncharted 2 and boy oh man; you have made my day :)

“vouchers in inFamous” Please tell me their is another option as i don’t plan on getting imfamous.

I hope you guys/girls left multi language selection for the game. It was fun to replay uncharted in spanish/english it felt like playing a different game :) My money for the game is already set aside and can’t wait for release date.
Thanks again and a Special thanks to the entire team at Naughty Dog.

+ Jagun on April 27th, 2009 at 10:12 am said:

I hope the multiplayer won’t take away time and resources from the single player. I really couldn’t give a damn about multiplayer.

+ King_DX on April 27th, 2009 at 10:13 am said:

Will we have split-screen for co-op or the death match modes?

I desperately need a good game with spilt-screen. Online is fine but its nothing like killing your friends who’s right across from you.

+ RiotPelaaja on April 27th, 2009 at 10:13 am said:

Evan, Christophe, Amy and all at ND, you guys and gals rock!

+ Chase167 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:13 am said:

this alllllllllsome

+ blindrocket on April 27th, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

YES!!! This is exactly what I wanted for Uncharted 2. Thanks Sony and Naughty Dog. :)

+ Cwalat on April 27th, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

Too bad there is no splitscreen support, it’s the only multiplayer part i’m interested in.

+ daffycare on April 27th, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

so cant wait for this game

+ rAdIOhEad73 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:17 am said:

DO WANT!! DO WANT!!!!!!!

+ Caemgen on April 27th, 2009 at 10:20 am said:

I love you guys!

So, is there a way for me to get into the multiplayer-bèta? (I’m from Holland)

+ macling on April 27th, 2009 at 10:20 am said:

Will there be split screen for multiplayer on the same console?

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 10