Minecraft PS4

Uncharted 2 to Include Multiplayer, Beta Starts June 3rd

Evan Wells's Avatar + Posted by Evan Wells on Apr 27, 2009 // Co-President, Naughty Dog

Uncharted 2 Multiplayer

So the rumors are true and we can finally talk about it! As you’ve heard and read, UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves will have both competitive and cooperative multiplayer modes.

We managed to keep the secret completely safe for over a year and a half, but right in the home stretch before the embargo lifted today, word got out all over the internet. Of course the leaked info was only the tip of the iceberg and there is a ton of coverage being released today on dozens and dozens of websites. So, pick your favorite videogame news site and go check out the coverage from our event last week. If print magazines are your thing, we’ve gotten word that we’ll also be in more than a few magazines around the world in the next few weeks.

If you’ve been looking closely at our interviews, our team here at Naughty Dog has been growing rapidly and we now have quite a few more Dogs on staff than when work finished on UNCHARTED: Drake’s Fortune. It shouldn’t be a surprise that we had to grow our studio to tackle the task of creating fully-realized multiplayer and co-op modes that would live up to our own high standards and do the UNCHARTED universe justice. I’m incredibly proud at the excellent work our team has done so far and it shows in the solid gameplay and incredible polish of the little slice we showed press last week. And if you’re dying to get your own hands on it, don’t worry, we’re having a multiplayer beta! It starts on June 3rd and you can get access to it through vouchers in inFamous, which goes on sale May 26th.

We’ll be back soon to talk more about our single player campaign – don’t think for a second we’ve forgotten about that! The rest of our team at Naughty Dog has been hard at work pushing our engine to its limits while creating a campaign that is more expansive and more ambitious than UNCHARTED: Drake’s Fortune. They’ve even learned a few tricks from our multiplayer and co-op development – truly a win-win situation as all aspects of UNCHARTED 2 are benefiting from the work we’re putting into both single player and multiplayer modes.

Oh, wait! Before you leave check out a multiplayer trailer we just finished before the weekend.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 10

+ LordRaoh on April 27th, 2009 at 10:21 am said:

Looks a lot better than i thought uncharted multiplayer would look.

cant wait.

+ PullusPardusUS on April 27th, 2009 at 10:22 am said:

Skins?
i want nathan hale from Resistance and Cole from Infamous make a cameo! =D

oh and it would be super duper awesome if Old snake is there too O_o;

+ Anubis80 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:23 am said:

This is the reason I dont buy some games. You have to buy or preorder another game to get the demos or betas. So how am I suppose to try this game since I dont want infamous? Looks like I will look into other games. Oh well.

+ ThanatosDMC on April 27th, 2009 at 10:23 am said:

AAAAAHHHHH!!! Pure Awesomeness!

+ Chase167 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:25 am said:

Awesomenesssssssssssssss!

+ Ehahneli-13 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:25 am said:

Ok, so I was one of the people that hoped that you guys didn’t add multiplayer, as I don’t think every game needs it and the first game was so amazing without it (one of my favorite games). My main concerns are that the single player will some how be affected and that the trophies will be too skewed towards multiplayer (like 10,000 kills and so on). If both of those things aren’t true then I think I was wrong to worry about the addition of multiplayer as that video was great. I’m not a huge multiplayer fan, but that might change when U2 comes out.

+ Wolverine8780 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:26 am said:

This is exactly what I have been wanting..since Resident Evil 5 .. All I have ever wanted is a co op multiplayer .. Drakes fortune was win , now Uncharted 2 epic win .. thanks sony

+ Insyt on April 27th, 2009 at 10:26 am said:

man extra things put on the game and people complain…i think it just adds to the longevity of the game, we all know the single player campaign is going to be insanely amazing, and multiplayer might be worth while, co-op as well…i think every game needs it, aside from your rpg’s…good work naughty dogg…

Pc,
Syt

+ JuanDHexen on April 27th, 2009 at 10:27 am said:

Naughty Dog you rock.It’s pathetic that so called fans of Uncharted don’t want to get 2 because of MP and this is coming from a guy who has not played online this generation.

+ NeonReaver on April 27th, 2009 at 10:28 am said:

This isn’t good. Why multiplayer? I’ve never played a game with both a really awesome singleplayer and multiplayer. I don’t expect this to be any different. Also I’m sure you guys will put the mandatory trophies for online, so even if we don’t WANT or don’t LIKE multiplayer if we want the trophies we’ll have to play online. I don’t know. I’m thinking of trading in the first one and giving up on the series now.

I hate to be shallow like this people that wouldn’t buy the first, because it didn’t have online, but that’s the way it is. This game didn’t need multiplayer and it’s a damn shame that singleplayer experiences keep getting ruined.

+ ShadyDa1NOnly on April 27th, 2009 at 10:29 am said:

Co-op that aint bad i think. But the mp i hope the aiming and lags and everything else for mp is good or it going to suck.

+ zombie9 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:30 am said:

Any chance we could get a Uncharted 1 Greatest hit’s CD for $30?

+ Anubis80 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:30 am said:

@160 NeonReaver

Yeah I never played the first one cuz I just thought of it as Man Raider (Tomb Raider wannabe) But I agree. Too many people are only concerned with MP and dont even play single player games anymore.

+ Feedinghand on April 27th, 2009 at 10:30 am said:

Will there be other Beta giveaways besides the Infamous one?

+ explosive78 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:30 am said:

Dont listen to the people complaining. As you know you cant please everyone. It’s great to hear you guys are not taking away from the single player campaign. Multiplayer looks great. My question: HOW MANY PEOPLE GET TO PLAY AS DRAKE IN MULTIPLAYER? It looks like one person was playing him and everybody else was someone else.

+ Lirion on April 27th, 2009 at 10:31 am said:

Naghty Dog just destroyed everything out there.

+ Loki_d20 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:32 am said:

Not sure why people complain about betas being attached to other games. Would we rather they be like they normally are?

You choose, A or B:

A) inFamous releases w/o beta; you never have chance to play Uncharted 2 beta

B) inFamous releases w/beta; you actually get a chance to see multi-player version of game prior to release

+ Andrefpvs on April 27th, 2009 at 10:33 am said:

Yes guys, adding multiplayer automatically ruins the singleplayer experience. Your logic is 100% flawless.

Please…

+ Cow_Shed on April 27th, 2009 at 10:33 am said:

Looking awesome guys. This is not a game I would have wanted or needed multiplayer for… now I just feel spoilt. Pre-order all the way, I’ve seen enough :D

+ Grognard66 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:33 am said:

The 1st Uncharted is still my favorite PS3 game, to date, so I’m really looking forward to the sequel.

I’m not so sure the game really needs competitive on-line, but co-op sounds interesting. I hope competitive on-line isn’t being added simply because of marketing, at the expense of the single player campaign.

+ skunkworker on April 27th, 2009 at 10:34 am said:

Is there going to be a Uncharted 2 Beta Signup online for those not buying inFamous?

+ jazzyrider on April 27th, 2009 at 10:36 am said:

Graphics and gameplay look spectacular and smooth in multiplayer!

BTW, will there be other ways to get Uncharted beta besides purchasing InFamous? Preordering Uncharted 2 or any other upcoming game? Beta key contests?

thanks for a great update!

+ mywhitenoise on April 27th, 2009 at 10:36 am said:

@153…you could just, you know, play the FIRST Uncharted to get a feel for the SEQUEL.

+ Blkant on April 27th, 2009 at 10:36 am said:

Also, all were seeing are these city like environments now, does that mean no more forest exploration and all, that was another thing that made uncharted great and I’m worried its gone. This Uncharted is just seeming way to different :(

+ TuxBobble on April 27th, 2009 at 10:39 am said:

Quick question that hopefully someone will respond to…

How long is the beta expected to LAST? This is quite a while before the finished product seems to be scheduled for, so I’m just wondering.

Additionally, is the beta going to be feedback-oriented or gameplay-oriented? I love having actual ways to input my feedback when beta testing, such as GG did with Killzone 2…

+ SteveO1683 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:40 am said:

The dog delivers again!

+ phleg on April 27th, 2009 at 10:41 am said:

Uncharted 2 looks VERY nice Evan! You and your team have a lot to be proud of.

On a tech note, have you added vsync? I can’t see any tearing in the video.

+ Anubis80 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:42 am said:

@173 mywhitenoise

I might do that. Just go borrow a friends copy and see what I think. But it just really annoys me that they throw the betas and demos onto other games that some people might not want. Thats the point that I am making.

+ guitain on April 27th, 2009 at 10:42 am said:

So we’ll have to play multiplayer to get platinum? … I’ve never been more miserable in my life! xO

Looks cool though…

+ dagundam on April 27th, 2009 at 10:43 am said:

This is GREAT news. but I believe many developers these days FORGET the importance of splitscreen multiplayer!..

I don’t understand if it’s because there is not enough power in the system to do it or if developers are truly oblivious to the FACT that split-screen multiplayer is just as important as online.

The only reason Super smash brothers brawl is still being played regardless of how crappy the online system is, is because of its offline aspect. On a more relevant example, Gears of War, at least 2 player splitscreen, Halo 3 4 player splitscreen.

+ dagundam on April 27th, 2009 at 10:44 am said:

The main reason I didn’t touch Unreal Tournament 3 on the PS3 was because there was no splitscreen mode, until the recent patch that was just released. Honestly, I do believe Naughty Dog gets to read this message because it is my sincere belief that the success of the multiplayer has a LOT to do with the offline splitscreen capability.

It is just not as fun, for the mass audience who has friends over, and you’re looking to play something TOGETHER and you don’t have 3 or 4 ps3′s to each play on.

(More examples: COD 4, 4 player splitscreen, Resistance 2==NO 4 player competitive multiplayer (WTH, that was the best part of R:FOM!)…, Fat Princess: amazing game that WILL be terribly plagued due to the lack of splitscreen multiplayer played from the same system.

+ xX-PEIN-Xx on April 27th, 2009 at 10:44 am said:

All I can say is wow. This game looks really good and the inclusion of multiplayer is awesome!!! You guys are doing a great job with this and I now feel guilty about not playing the first Uncharted. But for the record the Crash Bandicoot series were my favorite games back on the PS1 so I’ve enjoyed Naughty Dog’s work before. I can’t wait to get my hands on this and keep up the good work!!!

+ SaintNoir on April 27th, 2009 at 10:46 am said:

Thanks for confirmation it can be purchased anywhere. I will be plunking down for inFamous today! I was going to pre-purchase anyways, but now I can’t wait to get my hands on this as well!

+ mywhitenoise on April 27th, 2009 at 10:46 am said:

Anubis80…are you EvoAnubis? I see you all over PS communities, and saw you on Warhawk once, tried adding you but you didn’t add back, haha.
if you are Evo, I’m really surprised that you haven’t played the best game of 2007 yet.

+ rAdIOhEad73 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:46 am said:

1 question:

The game looks incredible in the video, however. Were the graphics toned down in order to acomodate the multiplayer and coop campaign? or can we expect the graphics to be as good as in Uncharted 1? or even better would be even nicer, let me know please!!!

+ Gumbydunzeeto on April 27th, 2009 at 10:47 am said:

Sorry, but I’m completely turned off this game.

The old adage “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” applies here.

The thing I liked about Uncharted was it was so deliberately single player focused in a time where games are becoming multi-player needlessly.

(See Resident Evil 5)

I *hate* seeing single player portions of a game become an afterthought because so much time is spent on the multi-player.

And forced co-op? No thank you.

Very, very, very disappointing – I was really looking forward to this game.

I guess I need to view Uncharted as a stand alone game now.

+ TheInfectedBy590 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:48 am said:

Oh wow, this looks amazing, I can’t wait!!! :)

+ ClinToN on April 27th, 2009 at 10:49 am said:

Anubis80- You’re looking into other games? Oook. I don’t even see how that comment even relates to this news.

Being in a beta is primarily for testing purposes for the developers. Sure it’s a chance for fans to try their anticipated title but it’s NOT a demo.

To Naughty Dog: Hot stuff, can’t wait to get my hands on this!

+ Gunblader_ on April 27th, 2009 at 10:49 am said:

looks awesome, but I hope it doesn’t take anything away from the single player.

+ stlthriot on April 27th, 2009 at 10:50 am said:

I must admit I am pretty excited for this game, mostly the single player adventure but this multiplayer stuff looks like it could be entertaining. :)
Just please don’t have ridiculously annoying multiplayer trophies like some other games do. ;)

Speaking of rendering and new technologies in this game, I noticed the water looks the same as it did in Uncharted 1 and at least on this multiplayer video, it looks like just a reflection map, the first game during gameplay it was reflecting the environment and characters.

+ GadoPnk on April 27th, 2009 at 10:50 am said:

@162: I’m also waiting for a Greatest Hits version of Drake’s Fortune. I played it and loved it, but still don’t wanna spend $60 for an old game :P

As for the multiplayer, I was afraid it wouldn’t match the quality of the campaign, but that trailer looks great. I guess we’ll see.

+ SPOPS on April 27th, 2009 at 10:51 am said:

OMG OMG OMG!!!

That looks insanely beautiful and awesome. I can not believe what an amazing job you guys have done with the multiplayer. I can not wait to get my hands on it. Before this video I was very excited for Uncharted 2. After this video, I don’t know how I am going to wait a few more months for its launch :(

Are there going to be any other methods to get into the BETA? inFAMOUS looks like an ok game, but I am not really into those super hero type games. And with this economy really don’t want to drop $60 + tax on it.

Please say there will be other ways to get into the BETA…

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:51 am said:

Slant Six could definitely take a page out of your books. I’m so Fracking impressed that I can’t put it into words.

+ evaq8 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:53 am said:

Oh Hell Yeah!!!

+ GSeussP on April 27th, 2009 at 10:53 am said:

Right up my alley, thanks so much Dogs!

+ fairPLAY23 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:54 am said:

I think, that the MP(Deadmatch, CtF) has nothing to do with Uncharted. I love Uncharted, but it is a Action-Adventure and not Gears o War or somthing else. That doesn’t suit my plans.(it’s only my opinion)

+ JL84wolf on April 27th, 2009 at 10:55 am said:

I am sold for this game :D

+ chimera_general on April 27th, 2009 at 10:56 am said:

Please don’t have online only trophys! I want to have an Uncharted 2 platinum to match my Uncharted 1 platinum.

+ Lagspike_exe on April 27th, 2009 at 10:56 am said:

I just wanted to ask if we are going to see higher level of graphical fidelity (although multiplayer is freaking beautiful) in single player, or are you guys trying to achive similiar level of graphics in both singleplayer and multiplayer modes?

Also, image looks extremely crisp. Can you tell us more about your AA implementation?

+ acerazer1 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:56 am said:

Finally, promised big news that actually lives up to the hype

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 10