PS4 - Transistor

Uncharted 2 to Include Multiplayer, Beta Starts June 3rd

Evan Wells's Avatar + Posted by Evan Wells on Apr 27, 2009 // Co-President, Naughty Dog

Uncharted 2 Multiplayer

So the rumors are true and we can finally talk about it! As you’ve heard and read, UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves will have both competitive and cooperative multiplayer modes.

We managed to keep the secret completely safe for over a year and a half, but right in the home stretch before the embargo lifted today, word got out all over the internet. Of course the leaked info was only the tip of the iceberg and there is a ton of coverage being released today on dozens and dozens of websites. So, pick your favorite videogame news site and go check out the coverage from our event last week. If print magazines are your thing, we’ve gotten word that we’ll also be in more than a few magazines around the world in the next few weeks.

If you’ve been looking closely at our interviews, our team here at Naughty Dog has been growing rapidly and we now have quite a few more Dogs on staff than when work finished on UNCHARTED: Drake’s Fortune. It shouldn’t be a surprise that we had to grow our studio to tackle the task of creating fully-realized multiplayer and co-op modes that would live up to our own high standards and do the UNCHARTED universe justice. I’m incredibly proud at the excellent work our team has done so far and it shows in the solid gameplay and incredible polish of the little slice we showed press last week. And if you’re dying to get your own hands on it, don’t worry, we’re having a multiplayer beta! It starts on June 3rd and you can get access to it through vouchers in inFamous, which goes on sale May 26th.

We’ll be back soon to talk more about our single player campaign – don’t think for a second we’ve forgotten about that! The rest of our team at Naughty Dog has been hard at work pushing our engine to its limits while creating a campaign that is more expansive and more ambitious than UNCHARTED: Drake’s Fortune. They’ve even learned a few tricks from our multiplayer and co-op development – truly a win-win situation as all aspects of UNCHARTED 2 are benefiting from the work we’re putting into both single player and multiplayer modes.

Oh, wait! Before you leave check out a multiplayer trailer we just finished before the weekend.

PAGE 1 6 7 8 9 10

+ ctbundy on April 27th, 2009 at 3:55 pm said:

Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That looks frigging amazing!!!!!

Nice Job

+ Hiterhat on April 27th, 2009 at 4:00 pm said:

shwweeeet .. will there be leveling up in this game like resistance or COD 4??

+ Kluv on April 27th, 2009 at 4:01 pm said:

wow, i did not expect the graphics to look that good, completely wowed me. and online looks insaaane! Naughty dog, you guys are like…flawless!!!

+ tenuous on April 27th, 2009 at 4:04 pm said:

Looks great can’t wait to play it.

+ BigPoppaB on April 27th, 2009 at 4:24 pm said:

Please Please PLEASEEEE include maps/settings from the first game. Don’t let them ‘go to waste’. Please, do it.

This game just became my top game of 09.. even if GOW3 hits.. its all about U2

+ sainraja on April 27th, 2009 at 4:30 pm said:

Great news! I am glad the co-op is separate from the single player campaign and the multiplayer is looking good!

+ Keysersoze10033 on April 27th, 2009 at 4:40 pm said:

Wow ::Crying:: :D

+ Midgetguy on April 27th, 2009 at 4:54 pm said:

Simply SUPERB!

I read this article earlier today in school and after I read it I was so excited! I started jumping up and down squeeling with excitement! (quite literally… no lie!) :)

This is like the 5th time I’ve done something stupid like that in school because of an amazing announcement here on the blog! lol

Anyways, on topic: This has officially forced me to pre-order InFamous! I was going to get it after it was released and possibly buy it used for a little less than I would get it for if I bought it new, but now I just HAVE to pre-order to garuntee that I get one of those Beta Codes!

I’m excited to see how this works in Uncharted… Co-Op is what I’m most excited about! Will Co-Op be online AND offline/split-screen? Just wondering!

Thanks Evan for this AMAZING news, and I (along with MANY others) am looking forward to hearing more great things coming from you folks at Naughty Dog!

Huge fan.
Huge supporter.

Thanks and keep of the great work! :)

+ KileyJ on April 27th, 2009 at 5:00 pm said:

SWEEEEET!! hopefully its like RE5 and u can earn most of the trophies in co-op online with a buddy.

+ KILLZONE79 on April 27th, 2009 at 5:07 pm said:

is there 2 player online spit screen?

+ Aotar on April 27th, 2009 at 5:11 pm said:

this seems to be something to look forward to :)

+ Gangsta_Kobe on April 27th, 2009 at 5:26 pm said:

will this also be available in canada

+ ikkiki on April 27th, 2009 at 5:32 pm said:

im geting this game 4sure

+ NoVaPH1R3 on April 27th, 2009 at 5:50 pm said:

you just sold me I was on the fence about infamous and Uncharted 2 but I’ll be picking up Infamous to try this out. It looks to good to pass up in my opinion

+ BlackIceJoe on April 27th, 2009 at 6:01 pm said:

Why did you have to add this. I know some people want this but I like my single player game to be single player only.

If not that put in a sweet version of the campaign mode to have co-op. That I thought could have been fun.

I do not play multi-player games. Even with Killzone 2 I played the game for the story mode only. I have no need for the online mode.

So this means I will most likely not get a platinum trophy because you will have to get trophy’s online.

So for me this move sucks. Because like I said I prefer the story mode and now I wonder if because of this move there will be less in the story.

But if it is any thing like the first this game is going to be sweet.

Also is Elena in the game? Plus an Elena game would be cool you go around with a camera and take cool pictures.

+ Martin_Keamy on April 27th, 2009 at 6:03 pm said:

Hi Mr. Wells,

I just wanted to say I finally picked up Uncharted the other day and love it. I recognize you from the bonus featurettes. Keep the awesome games coming! :)

P.S. I’ve had InFamous pre-ordered since about the second week in April, paid in full, so this news is just an extra bonus for me. Uncharted 2 is definitely a day 1 purchase for me!

+ SinsToJudge on April 27th, 2009 at 6:12 pm said:

You know, if you want to do multiplayer, fine. Just don’t include impossible online trophies like Killzone 2 did (infact, don’t include them at all. I hate online games and would like to stay away from that part of the game at all costs).

+ JBruno on April 27th, 2009 at 6:15 pm said:

Great news John… More one fan dream come true in 2009. Yet, Strider and Final Fight can happen one day, who knows?

+ coastermaniac on April 27th, 2009 at 6:19 pm said:

awesome! I can’t get over those graphics, especially the lighting. I mean, the textures are a large improvement over the first games, but the lighting is just incredible and really adds a lot to the realism of the game. Awesome job guys

+ remanutd5 on April 27th, 2009 at 6:24 pm said:

wow that was awesome !!!!!! man i cant wait

+ somerandomguy112 on April 27th, 2009 at 6:31 pm said:

sweeeet!!! but how many infamous boxes have the voucher inside them? i hope i get one! day one purchase for me

+ mckg123456789 on April 27th, 2009 at 6:34 pm said:

NICE!! thanks naughty dog, DAY 1 BUY STILL! with or with out online though the online feature was nice lol

+ SHINSPIKES on April 27th, 2009 at 6:43 pm said:

With the ability to almost go anywhere, this needs to be 32 players or more. Lots of shootin though, is there at least headshots?

+ BlackIceJoe on April 27th, 2009 at 6:49 pm said:

Another thing I would like to know seeing as Naughty dog’s team got bigger can we see going forward after Uncharted 2 the team work on two games a time.

May be like what your pals Insomniac do.

I would love to see Naughty Dog next year be able to bring out Jak 4 and the year after Uncharted 3 or a new IP.

So does this mean seeing as ND is bigger there is a chance for this or not yet.

The team at Naughty Dog has made some really great games so I really want to see more of ND games more often.

+ Bomberman65 on April 27th, 2009 at 6:53 pm said:

I hope they do something for my region. As I live in New Zealand and Ive only go into 1 beta and that was the MGO beta. I really want to try this beta more than anything but being in NZ I doubt I will. We kiwis always get shafted with these things. I hope there’ll be something I can do to try and get in on the beta.

+ Totao on April 27th, 2009 at 7:00 pm said:

wow man if socom confrontation would have done half of the things I can see on this trailer I could be playing it right now

+ Bomberman65 on April 27th, 2009 at 7:22 pm said:

Thats something I wanted to ask. Is the co-op online and splitscreen or just online?

+ gold5225 on April 27th, 2009 at 7:22 pm said:

Wow great Job on Uncharted Naughty Dog you can have my Money I loved the first one and this one is just OMFG AWESOME!

+ Kamahl_rg on April 27th, 2009 at 7:27 pm said:

this game looks amazing, i cnat wait to get it :D loved uncharted 1 and im sure ill love this one

+ CarlosX360 on April 27th, 2009 at 7:32 pm said:

I was interested in inFamous, but the trailer blew me away, so consider it bought later this month. :)

+ Ultralisk on April 27th, 2009 at 7:40 pm said:

Wow I’m impressed, this clearly beats my expectations!

1) Fantastic visuals especially the lighting and shadows, framerate seems smoother as well!

2) I’ve always dreamed of a sort of Counter-Strike game where you could also use the environment, do some rolls and engage people in close combat, looks like this is it! The mechanics of the 1st game were exceptional but limited to single player only…

HOWEVER I read that you would automatically respawn, PLEASE give the option to turn that off and make it like Counter-Strike, that was the whole point of the game, and gameplay would become a lot more tactical, the potential is HUGE we just need that option!

3) Oh yeah you obviously know it, but don’t listen to so-called fans claiming that the single player will suffer from it, quite the contrary, because this game includes a great online it means it’ll sell a lot more so the budget is probably much bigger than for the first game, hence even more resources for the single player mode :)

This could be the game of the generation, congrats!!

+ gpat138 on April 27th, 2009 at 7:45 pm said:

With all the big releases this fall, my wallet is going to take a pounding!

Uncharted 2
Bioshock 2
Heavy Rain
Modern Warfare 2
Ratchet & Clank
MAG

+ MajorZero77 on April 27th, 2009 at 7:47 pm said:

Can’t wait; inFamous looks awesome and Uncharted is one of my all time faves

+ Venom1976 on April 27th, 2009 at 8:15 pm said:

I can’t wait to play this game Drake’s fortune was so good. Too bad you guys couldn’t do something with the crash bandicoot games again also. i know you guys are focusing on the future, but you are the only studio that did it right. Looking forward to Uncharted 2. thanks for your time.

+ Boots777 on April 27th, 2009 at 8:27 pm said:

Ability to toss propane tanks and shoot at them mid-air for boom boom is reason alone to buy this puppy! Looking forward to this big time.

what’s with all the online haters?!? This just adds to the game universe!

+ fireb0x on April 27th, 2009 at 8:39 pm said:

Excited! Can’t wait for the beta!

+ gmoney0505 on April 27th, 2009 at 9:12 pm said:

Will the multiplayer have the chirp sound when you kill someone like in Killzone 2. I luv to hear it everytime I kill someone.

+ talonkard044 on April 27th, 2009 at 9:13 pm said:

Please, please, PLEASE don’t have a 10,000 kills trophy. That is utter craziness. Some of us have lives Sucker Punch :)

I think so far, you guys have done the best at handling trophies. Some were easy, some were ok, and some took skill to get.

They were balanced VERY well.

Do like you did before with them, but add like 50 kills with weapon (X) in online multiplayer. The max for the top kills trophy should be 1000.

Killzone 2, Quantom of Solace had a very good breakdown for online trophies.

Again, for the love of Jeebus, NO 10,000 KILLS TROPHY PLEASE!

…I love Insominac but their’ 10k kills trophy requirement put a dent in how much I love them.

Developers have to realize gamer may be dedicated, but how many want to play that long in their game when there are so many other badass title out there?

I don’t want to sound mean, but it’s the truth.

+ big-gunns on April 27th, 2009 at 9:28 pm said:

couch co-op I hope. (:
this game is going to own!!

+ sscoolChea on April 27th, 2009 at 9:31 pm said:

30 years old and very secure about my sexuality but my Manly Man Crush on Nathan Drake just got bigger .

+ Kirajc on April 27th, 2009 at 9:34 pm said:

That was amazing, The cover system and the jumping around, this is going be revolutionary lol, ND is awesome

+ punguy on April 27th, 2009 at 9:46 pm said:

is that map country call nepal?

+ Alex_Assassin_08 on April 27th, 2009 at 10:50 pm said:

Well…f**k me, that looks mind blowing.

+ Onna76_NL on April 27th, 2009 at 11:17 pm said:

@BlackIceJoe Yeah I also wonder if Elena would make her appearance in the main story. I really liked that character, she reminds me a bit of myself *lol*. For the record, I’m a girl :=P For another record, I never say that the game will turn out bad! The game will be first day buy for me anyhow, I’m only worried about the “experience”, that’s all.

When can we expect info about the SP campaign?

+ Onna76_NL on April 27th, 2009 at 11:20 pm said:

@Venom1976, absolutely right, bought the first non ND Crash Bandicoot game which was also my very last. I still play the other Crash Bandicoot games from time to time. Those games are simply timeless.

I’m more wondering about a Jak (&Daxter) 4 for on the PS3 though ;-)

+ poisonedsodapop on April 27th, 2009 at 11:36 pm said:

Hmm I’ve been waiting for a good third person shooter to get interested in. Are there female characters and customization options? Trailer moved too fast for me to see.

+ Sekoku on April 28th, 2009 at 12:05 am said:

N_D: You guys are awesome.

Please do not make online achievements. Uncharted 1′s achievements were perfect. They were single-player only. Just like Infinity Ward’s Call of Duty 4′s were. (Though I know Uncharted 1 has no multiplayer mode, just saying)

Multiplayer achievements ruin games, and make getting them all even more annoying. Please don’t add them and let the multplayer stand on its own for those that want to play it. (Or at least just put one for trying the multiplayer out in, and that’s it, don’t do “10k kills” like Resistance 2 did. God, I hate that one)

Still, going to try this out if only because Uncharted 1 was a blast to play.

+ ConkerJak on April 28th, 2009 at 12:15 am said:

Can’t wait for the european beta !!!!

But I just wanna know if these mode will be also playable in split screen offline ?

Because, online is really great but play with real friends on the same console is also really awesome !!!!
PLEASE don’t make the same mistake as Killzone 2 !!!!

+ Bomberman65 on April 28th, 2009 at 12:18 am said:

@395
Yes there are female character skins. Theres Elena from U1 and then theres Chloe from U2 there might be more I dont know but I do know that there are female skins.

+ BosniaN on April 28th, 2009 at 12:21 am said:

It looks AMAZING.
Let us hope this doesnt affect the SP.

PAGE 1 6 7 8 9 10