PS4-The Order

Uncharted 2 to Include Multiplayer, Beta Starts June 3rd

Evan Wells's Avatar + Posted by Evan Wells on Apr 27, 2009 // Co-President, Naughty Dog

Uncharted 2 Multiplayer

So the rumors are true and we can finally talk about it! As you’ve heard and read, UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves will have both competitive and cooperative multiplayer modes.

We managed to keep the secret completely safe for over a year and a half, but right in the home stretch before the embargo lifted today, word got out all over the internet. Of course the leaked info was only the tip of the iceberg and there is a ton of coverage being released today on dozens and dozens of websites. So, pick your favorite videogame news site and go check out the coverage from our event last week. If print magazines are your thing, we’ve gotten word that we’ll also be in more than a few magazines around the world in the next few weeks.

If you’ve been looking closely at our interviews, our team here at Naughty Dog has been growing rapidly and we now have quite a few more Dogs on staff than when work finished on UNCHARTED: Drake’s Fortune. It shouldn’t be a surprise that we had to grow our studio to tackle the task of creating fully-realized multiplayer and co-op modes that would live up to our own high standards and do the UNCHARTED universe justice. I’m incredibly proud at the excellent work our team has done so far and it shows in the solid gameplay and incredible polish of the little slice we showed press last week. And if you’re dying to get your own hands on it, don’t worry, we’re having a multiplayer beta! It starts on June 3rd and you can get access to it through vouchers in inFamous, which goes on sale May 26th.

We’ll be back soon to talk more about our single player campaign – don’t think for a second we’ve forgotten about that! The rest of our team at Naughty Dog has been hard at work pushing our engine to its limits while creating a campaign that is more expansive and more ambitious than UNCHARTED: Drake’s Fortune. They’ve even learned a few tricks from our multiplayer and co-op development – truly a win-win situation as all aspects of UNCHARTED 2 are benefiting from the work we’re putting into both single player and multiplayer modes.

Oh, wait! Before you leave check out a multiplayer trailer we just finished before the weekend.

PAGE 1 7 8 9 10

+ DRCD1 on April 28th, 2009 at 12:28 am said:

Is the camera always over the shoulder, even without aiming?

+ ConkerJak on April 28th, 2009 at 12:51 am said:

@399 Naughty Dog grown up for Uncharted 2 and has a specila team for multiplayer so don’t worry about the SP :)

@400 The camera will be like in Uncharted drake’s fortune : free and perfect !

+ PsychoMacross on April 28th, 2009 at 1:07 am said:

All I can say is congratulations to both Sony and the Uncharted 2 staff for a brilliant marketing move! This is the way Shock-and-Awe is supposed to work. :D

+ MK500 on April 28th, 2009 at 1:40 am said:

Will there be clan support? Any details?

+ muzzar69 on April 28th, 2009 at 2:21 am said:

is the beta going to be here in australia.
because i pre ordered it 6 weeks ago and havent recieved anything and EB seems to know nothing about it

+ Rogerjak on April 28th, 2009 at 3:58 am said:

I can see the MP working!

And I saw the interview you did with Gamespot and I liked when you said and I quote : “We have not taken our eye off the SP at all”. That means we will have a good story AND a possible good MP.

Good luck with the development!

+ Dark_Fire_101 on April 28th, 2009 at 4:23 am said:

As awesome as this sounds, I just hope that the single player campaign is alive and kicking. Uncharted 1 was an amazing single player experience and I want this one to feel the same way.

+ tails-4 on April 28th, 2009 at 4:23 am said:

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ VenomUK on April 28th, 2009 at 4:35 am said:

The original Uncharted is a modern classic that I have played through at least 6 times (for which I have received my first and only platinum trophy.)

The sequel looks like a killer. I can’t wait for the new single player adventure, but am also looking forward to the new co-op and multiplayer modes.

+ ConkerJak on April 28th, 2009 at 5:57 am said:

@403 I also hope that there will be this option, can’t wait for this beta !!!!

+ dayvhide on April 28th, 2009 at 6:16 am said:

I was wondering if is it going to be local and online or just online? If just online can you recommend any games that a local multilayer for 3 people or more? Other then little big planet or sports games. Because I have friends that actually come over to play. lol

+ Mithos_Yggdrasil on April 28th, 2009 at 7:06 am said:

naughty dog i’am so proud of you, this game is gonna rocks, count with me to buy a copy and posting this in several forums…greeting from colombia.

+ Zta on April 28th, 2009 at 7:08 am said:

All I want to know is: Does this mean co-op split-screen multiplayer campaign mode like in the good, old days of Resistance:FoM, or is it Just Another Multiplayer Deathmatch Mode?

+ Ghost_Rider70 on April 28th, 2009 at 7:23 am said:

*wets self* OMG!!!

+ Onna76_NL on April 28th, 2009 at 7:48 am said:

@Zta there’s co-op and deathmatch in the MP campaign. No idea about split screen.

+ richUK on April 28th, 2009 at 8:00 am said:

WOW! Nice one! looks good! :)

+ kosluftar on April 28th, 2009 at 8:29 am said:

Did anyone say if the co-op will be split screen, or will you share a screen, or is it only online co-op?

Is it possible for 4 controllers from one system ot play online multiplayer with another team? (4 way screen split)

+ dayvhide on April 28th, 2009 at 9:25 am said:

I was wondering if is it going to be local and online or just online? If just online can you recommend any games that a local multilayer for 3 people or more? Other then little big planet or sports games. Because I have friends that actually come over to play. Hahaha

+ EvoAnubis on April 28th, 2009 at 10:23 am said:

Sweet!

+ Kittonwy on April 28th, 2009 at 11:23 am said:

Holy smoke that’s awesome.

+ Mario_16 on April 28th, 2009 at 3:27 pm said:

how can i get a beta ???

+ Wafi24 on April 28th, 2009 at 6:03 pm said:

Too bad i never get the beta codes well im praying for this one anyone nice job naughty dog and psn and sony this game is going to be EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!

+ HawkEyes1 on April 28th, 2009 at 6:07 pm said:

Sweet!.But I still don’t see XMB in HOME! Come on Sony jezz..And of course objects we can actually use! Barbecue Grills, Dj equiment Trance Clubs laser lights flashing back in forth hell yea! Squirts guns that er can chase each other etc I have yet to see this pop up in the near future! CPUs and Laptops..Just more interaction SCEA real Arcades NAMCO! etc,..

+ HawkEyes1 on April 28th, 2009 at 6:10 pm said:

Yes this game is going to be on everyones must have list for Christmas =)

+ BugattiEBveyron on April 29th, 2009 at 7:14 am said:

To #48: I think the grenade launcher (aka M-79) has no loading this time around, because it works differently. In the first one it went like a bullet, now it’s a short arc. If it had the same loading time, it would be useless. It probably has some loading, but not after every shot.

+ BugattiEBveyron on April 29th, 2009 at 7:17 am said:

Are the unlockable characters from the first game usable in multiplayer? Because I want to play competitive multiplayer as Gabriel Roman.
And what are the benefits that you get if you have got the platinum from the first game?

+ ghostson1956 on April 29th, 2009 at 7:23 am said:

Oh…HELL yeah!!!…………

+ BalramRules on April 29th, 2009 at 12:16 pm said:

YEAYY!!!! I CANT WAIT
IM LOVIN IT!!! inFmaous and uncahted r soo in da bad, soz 4 da bad spellin, in a rush u c, really, soz : (

+ MAXO9009 on April 29th, 2009 at 4:19 pm said:

Perfect … uncharted is my Favorites game i can’t wait

+ Terror660 on April 30th, 2009 at 10:21 am said:

Must-buy for me! Go Naughty Dog, Go!

+ Chaoticmoon on April 30th, 2009 at 4:00 pm said:

Awesome, I can’t wait for it to come out and nice job f the climbing and jumping

+ BalramRules on May 1st, 2009 at 11:50 am said:

Yes, I’m European, : )

+ BalramRules on May 1st, 2009 at 11:51 am said:

I got platinum for Uncharted!!!! : O, YEAH!!!
Same for Uncharted (Im gonna get platnum : [)

+ mandala63 on May 2nd, 2009 at 5:17 pm said:

Will the beta be available in Canada? If so, will I get it if I pre-order and pick it up on May 26th?

+ mandala63 on May 2nd, 2009 at 5:26 pm said:

If I pre-order the game on May 26th, will I still get the Uncharted 2 Beta? I’m asking because it says the deal starts June 3rd and not May 26th when the game is released. Uncharted 2 looks amazing by the way.

+ deen700 on May 2nd, 2009 at 5:45 pm said:

so cool. new topic does anybody see a game like everquest coming to ps3?

+ SPAZZY93 on May 3rd, 2009 at 12:44 pm said:

Will the beta be included if you order from amazon.com?

+ Bridgen on May 7th, 2009 at 7:25 am said:

cant wait but hope naughty dog still keep up the single player mode

+ bobbaysk8 on May 7th, 2009 at 7:54 am said:

nice!, uncharted rock & PS OWN!

+ D_Bumblebee on May 8th, 2009 at 6:08 am said:

If I have pre-ordered inFamous from EB Games here in Australia, will I be able to get this, too?

I’ve noticed that it doesn’t say anything about a multiplayer voucher or beta code on the EB Games Australian site, only a special power known as a Gigawatt Blades and an art book or something are packed with inFamous if pre-ordered.

+ monkey_boy13 on May 8th, 2009 at 3:50 pm said:

i just got a beta code and went to put it in and it said that the code wasn’t right im guessing it will become active on the 3rd but i was just wondering if thats happened to anyone else.

+ Relevance9 on May 8th, 2009 at 7:20 pm said:

I just got the voucher for the beta test. Do I have to wait for the start date or am I able to d/l it right now?

+ DTS_MAN on May 9th, 2009 at 6:06 am said:

wow i just saw some leaked footage from gdc….holy crap how god dam good does this game look? i just cannot wait. let the good times roll…..oh and epic games do your self a favour take note a lot of notes this is how you make proper games on a proper games console. PS3 Rules! Xbox = LAG

DTS MAN

+ DTS_MAN on May 9th, 2009 at 6:09 am said:

oh and nauty dog thanks so much for doing a beta, this is how to make great games better.

+ rabdomer on May 9th, 2009 at 9:08 am said:

Hey i heard they have the beta with a puchase of 20$ just by itself on some of the “official” sites.

+ Qaurky_Biscuit on May 9th, 2009 at 9:17 am said:

hope so

+ Zynox92 on May 9th, 2009 at 1:14 pm said:

yaaay! uncharted 2! i loved the first game soooo freaking much!!

And the graphics look even better than in the first game!

And I can’t stop notice that it looms like you can run and shoot, which I can’t recall doing in the first game. :)

+ EliteCobra718 on May 11th, 2009 at 10:08 pm said:

this i cant wait for, the first game was a classic. its the National Treasure for gamers. i cant to see what part 2 has to offer..and i know for a fact theres going to be a part 3

+ VirtueLeon on May 12th, 2009 at 12:21 pm said:

Sorry but I don’t get what you mean… So in order to be able to play the “Uncharted II: Among Thieves” BETA Online Multiplayer, I have to buy the game “inFamous” and I will recieve a voucher which will be at the 28th May? ( or the inFamous game ).

Then for the 3rd June the BETA Online for Uncharted II will be available through PSN and you’d have to put in a code given by te voucher?

So the full version of the game will be available in late 2009? ( Say September maybe ). My email is [DELETED] if you would like to rely back to me there, Also if this is true then why? ( Not meaning to be rude or anything )

+ VirtueLeon on May 12th, 2009 at 12:27 pm said:

Also, I forgot to put this in, would the BETA Multiplayer Online for Unchartd II be ranked? or just for fun? I’m just abit curious (Sorry for being such a suck – up with the words). Mistakes for the first comment were;

or > from (Lines 3)