PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Soulcalibur Making Portable Debut on PSP

Chris Morell's Avatar + Posted by Chris Morell on Apr 29, 2009 // Senior Social Media Specialist

Soulcalibur Broken Destiny PSP screenshot

Big news, fighting fans. As you may have heard via GameSpot yesterday, Soulcalibur is officially coming to the PSP this summer. Called Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny, this marks the series’ first foray into handheld consoles…and of course, what better place to debut than the PSP.

Yesterday, Namco Bandai invited us to San Francisco for the unveiling, where a demo of Broken Destiny proved that it is already looking graphically impressive on the PSP. While Namco is remaining relatively tight-lipped on specifics for the time being, I fired off a few questions to Director Noriyuki Hiyama (Unfortunately we were shooting in a loud room speaking through a translator, but I think you’ll get the point) about new characters, multiplayer and the possibility of secret content. Check out the vid for his responses. And drop us a note with your burning questions, as we’ll most likely be getting more time with the game/team at E3 in June!

PAGE 1 2

+ RPKK on April 29th, 2009 at 5:28 pm said:

Very nice!

Defnitely can’t wait for this one!

+ Unknown_Hero on April 29th, 2009 at 5:36 pm said:

Looks sweet!
NO PSP GO! please don’t be true!

+ DNAgent on April 29th, 2009 at 5:37 pm said:

No thanks. I hate Namco Bandai. Especially with them porting a mediocre game like Vesperia to PS3 rather than make an exclusive Tales of game for the PS3 like they should have. On top of Tekken 6 going multiplatform they can go **** themselves.

+ remanutd5 on April 29th, 2009 at 5:38 pm said:

wow you guys are really pushing the psp so glad to see all these games coming out for the system , hey Jeff can we expect new info on motorstorm arctic edge soon ????

+ LukaX23 on April 29th, 2009 at 5:39 pm said:

Sony’s back!

+ vinnyg32 on April 29th, 2009 at 5:43 pm said:

Alot of psp games coming, very nice to see.
All these coming out simutaneously with the new PSP launch?

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on April 29th, 2009 at 5:48 pm said:

@2

WTH are you talking about? Everybody wants the new PSP, well as long as it’s touch screen.

I want to know where the games that were announced a long time ago are? GT PSP, DMC PSP, Elder Scroll PSP…also give me a new (good) GTA PSP, put the effort in it like you did for CW R*

+ Francision69 on April 29th, 2009 at 5:49 pm said:

This is just amazing. First Tekken 6 and now Soul Calibur! The PSP just keeps on getting the hits! Can’t wait to buy this game.

+ ManaKnight on April 29th, 2009 at 5:55 pm said:

I’m very happy to hear the news. I was wanting at least SCII or SCIII to come to PSP, but this is even better. Thanks a lot. :D

+ Insyt on April 29th, 2009 at 5:59 pm said:

Soul Cal 4 didnt get much play from me, i think i’ll pass on this 1, but tekken 6 will get nightly love while my wife is passed out…haha…

Pc,
Syt

+ infamousXX87XX on April 29th, 2009 at 6:00 pm said:

I would actually buy the psp go! If its true, of course

+ Midgetguy on April 29th, 2009 at 6:08 pm said:

Sony wasn’t kidding when they said that 2009 would be BIG for the PSP! They’re really pushing for more and more exclusive software for our favorite portable gaming gem! :D

I’m impressed! The year has barely begun and we’re already getting virtually DAILY game announcements for the PSP! Almost all of these games are exclusive and HUGE titles!

I’m definately going to look out for more on this game! It looks great! Thanks for the info and the interview!

+ ProwlingFox on April 29th, 2009 at 6:10 pm said:

@12 and Jeff wasn’t kidding when he said on sunday “let this be the calm before the flood”

+ Zezzler on April 29th, 2009 at 6:18 pm said:

Oh Wow, Chris i dont think i can handle all of the glorious PlayStation news in 1 day! Its so great! but at the same time, too much to handle all at once :S

I say Keep it up~ and we all can’t wait for more

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on April 29th, 2009 at 10:44 pm said:

Thanks! There\’s plenty more great game coverage to come, even in the next couple days. Stay tuned…

+ KazeEternal on April 29th, 2009 at 6:18 pm said:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE INFRASTRUCTURE + HEADSET SUPPORT FOR TEKKEN 6 AND SOUL CALIBUR BROKEN DESTINY!!!!

That was the biggest disappointment with Tekken Dark Resurrection on PSP, I couldn’t play with my friends online when ever they or myself went out of town on business or vacation. Can we get Devil Jin as a bonus character in SCBD?

+ Silent_Gig on April 29th, 2009 at 6:18 pm said:

Sony, you REALLY need you get your butts in gear and roll out Ad-Hoc party for the US/EU – that feature alone can increase the userbase of the PSP players online so much more and it gives a better incentive to actually buy a PSP game that has online features. I seriously hope you guys are doing something about this since Monster Hunter is coming soon.

+ Sakimori_X on April 29th, 2009 at 6:19 pm said:

Wow. Between PJ Monsters Deluxe, SC: Broken Destiny, and the first gameplay vids of Motorstorm: Arctic Edge, the PSP sure is getting lots of love today!

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on April 29th, 2009 at 10:45 pm said:

A total PSP love-fest today.

+ KazeEternal on April 29th, 2009 at 6:19 pm said:

@7
I do not want the PSP GO! No UMD No Money. I like DLC, but I don’t want every game I own to be tied to me via a server for the remainder of my days.

+ JuanDHexen on April 29th, 2009 at 6:21 pm said:

The DS better look out for the psp.The games lineup for the psp this year are incredible and I know there is more see at E3 so this will be the year that the psp shuts the mouths of all of the haters out there.

+ Craiji on April 29th, 2009 at 6:23 pm said:

Thanks Namco for this and portable Tekken 6! Now where is that US Tales of Vespira announcement?

Oh and Sony… Ad-hoc party!, and shame on you for not ever commenting or saying anything about it!

+ MiiAmigo on April 29th, 2009 at 6:23 pm said:

Man I hope Kratos makes it in this one. So much hype about the Ghost of Sparta as a secret character in the last one only to be dissapointed. Come on Namco make it happen. Kratos is perfect for this franchise.

+ insanecrane1 on April 29th, 2009 at 6:47 pm said:

man this awesome , so many top notch games coming out for the psp. this is definitely the psp’s…and ps3′s year. I mean titles like soul calibur, lbp, motorstorm artic edge, assasins creed, tekken, and many others straight to the portable. this is the exact reason why i bought the psp
-thank you!

+ Calendaros on April 29th, 2009 at 6:49 pm said:

Namco sucks. They don’t give a damn about Sony platforms.

+ Anubis80 on April 29th, 2009 at 6:51 pm said:

About time the PSP gets a good game besides Patapon 2. Great job!

+ liketoski on April 29th, 2009 at 6:58 pm said:

Chris do you know ANYTHING about the PSP2? Do know anything you don’t have to say what it is but do you? If you can tell me will it have dual analouge sticks? You don’t have to answer that but please say whether you know or not. No dual analouge, then I’m not buying. I’m fine with no UMD but no dual analouge. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on April 29th, 2009 at 7:07 pm said:

@18

Then don’t buy it, they’ll still release some games on UMD, the rest of us will move on and get the new, better PSP (well if it has touch screen, otherwise I’ll keep my 3000)

+ SlashZaku on April 29th, 2009 at 7:10 pm said:

@ Chris:

If you can get some time in at E3 with the team (Project Souls), can you ask them if they plan to add any further content/updates to the PS3 version of the game? Also, do they have any plans for some unlocks/transfers with PS3-PSP compatibility (PSP exclusive characters being uploaded to the PS3 version if you have the game and even transferring CAS between each version)?

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on April 29th, 2009 at 10:47 pm said:

All great questions, thank you.

+ DMPrince on April 29th, 2009 at 7:16 pm said:

Chris you’re so hot. you should do more videos!

anyways. SC will be a great addition to the PSP library! 2009 baby!

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on April 29th, 2009 at 10:51 pm said:

Aww, shucks! I\’ll be invading the camera plenty more, don\’t you worry.

+ bushisprez on April 29th, 2009 at 7:23 pm said:

PS3 Bionic Commando Demo announcement would be nice!

+ YoshiWanKanobi on April 29th, 2009 at 7:32 pm said:

We need trophies on PSP! Just decided this in my head tonight.

+ BlackIceJoe on April 29th, 2009 at 7:41 pm said:

Is there any chance for some people from GOW like Kratos or some people from Heavenly Sword.

I love how in other Soulcalibur games there are people from different games series and Kratos from GOW would be Awesome.

+ Poopookakabumbum on April 29th, 2009 at 7:58 pm said:

As long as it comes out on DISC, I’m all for it.

+ klee1234 on April 29th, 2009 at 8:10 pm said:

Hey Chris

Since you were with Namco, do you guys know if they are planning a US release of Tales of Vesperia for PS3?

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on April 29th, 2009 at 10:52 pm said:

Funny you mentioned. We actually asked, but no word yet.

+ midnightshade on April 29th, 2009 at 8:21 pm said:

Nice!!! I love my psp! It gets so much playtime out of me, I take the thing everywhere. Sometimes I will sit in my car in the driveway and play after work, on the toilet, in bed, or even at work (when it’s slow)….This is great news. I will be picking this up, like I do most good psp/ps3 games. Sony you are really picking up the pace with this. I have a limited ed. White psp, and i need a 2nd one as my analog stick is getting a little wonky. I have to take the face plate off on and reajust it every month or so. I want another, probalby should wait til e3 to see what comes out though. You guys rock. And namco, thanks for the psp love, now bring us a US relase of Vesperia… NOW! :)

+ jazzyrider on April 29th, 2009 at 8:22 pm said:

Talk about a flood (of news)! So much coming down from the Sony pipe– finally! Hooray Sony!

+ Tailsnakes on April 29th, 2009 at 8:57 pm said:

I’m a fan of the PSP and all but you guys should really just cut your losses and release a PSP2 with better piracy protection. I can’t wait for this game, but I know the devs are going to be disappointed when the game doesn’t get the sales it should due to the pirates.

Anyway, I’m really looking forward to this game.

+ tearsofash on April 29th, 2009 at 9:01 pm said:

Very cool. Can’t wait to have this game on my shelf.

I hope there’s DLC for it like there is with SCIV.

+ KazeEternal on April 29th, 2009 at 9:03 pm said:

@36 If they cut their losses on the PSP, I’m not getting the PSP2. Plain and simple. If sony can’t stick to their 10 year plan on the PSP then there is no hope for the PS3 or the PSP2 or any future PS branded product.

Did we learn anything from the Sega Saturn and it’s impact on the Dreamcast?

+ Thrasher20 on April 29th, 2009 at 9:33 pm said:

Sweet stuff Chris, I Google news’ed Playstation 3 and I came across this earlier today. Thanks for giving more info!

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on April 29th, 2009 at 10:53 pm said:

Glad you found it!

+ Letters2Kay on April 29th, 2009 at 9:50 pm said:

Awesome. I’ll probably get more mileage out of this than I did out of SCIV on PS3. PLEASE make this a downloadable title.

Please!? :)

+ Jimal23 on April 29th, 2009 at 10:07 pm said:

This looks nice but..I’d much rather have a new Soul Caliber title. I’ve played over 600 hours of SCIV and I must say I loved it. But I am anxious to see what can be produced as the second Soul Caliber title on the ps3. Maybe use more of it’s power to ramp up the game, and add more characters/levels or a more complex story mode or different game modes playable online. Thanks much appreciated.

+ SolduNuts on April 29th, 2009 at 10:34 pm said:

I miss having my PSP. I keep going to buy a new one, but then talk my self out of it because I am afraid that the moment I lay money down for that thing the PSP 4000 will be announced or something new that I will want instead so here is to holding out even longer for the PSP next.

+ ADR143 on April 29th, 2009 at 11:21 pm said:

nice!

+ FallingAwake on April 30th, 2009 at 12:26 am said:

SOLD!

+ IIIKAGEIII on April 30th, 2009 at 12:43 am said:

any news on rumoured new psp? if it is anything like what is said i might trading in my phat.

+ CAGaHTN on April 30th, 2009 at 12:51 am said:

im excited for it. Any thought about putting a ps3 link like R2 but in this case be able to use your arcade pad or SixaxiS, i like to play with my PSP plugged into my TV for the bigger screen.

+ JesseHaysFL on April 30th, 2009 at 2:35 am said:

so will this be on the GO! platform or a UMD?

+ JesseHaysFL on April 30th, 2009 at 2:35 am said:

come on I even asked with an exclamation point, I know how important those are…

+ BigRon3400 on April 30th, 2009 at 3:20 am said:

Damn you Sony! I was living my life just fine without a PSP and you do this. Damn it! Now I have to buy one.

+ JesseHaysFL on April 30th, 2009 at 3:24 am said:

big ron you should wait untill christmas…..you may get a surprise from sony/santa

PAGE 1 2