Uncharted 4

White Knight Chronicles – Your Questions Answered

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Apr 30, 2009 // Sr. Social Media Manager

You may have read impressions of White Knight Chronicles garnered during our LA Media event in the last day or two, but I know you’ve got lots of questions. Today, we’re happy to bring you answers. In this video interview with US Producer Tsubasa Inaba, find out how the game works, how it might change for North American release, and the status voice chat.

Look for more on WKC at E3 and beyond.

+ Craiji on April 30th, 2009 at 11:48 am said:

Thanks for the Interview Jeff,

I hope we get everything from Wave 1 and prior rolled up into our release.

Plus voice chat.

+ Kxpuc on April 30th, 2009 at 11:49 am said:

Release date or month projected at this point?

Part of my assault of the PS Blog
Why isn’t there a NA release of Demon Souls? the entire game is in English already (Asia Version) and doesn’t even need tweaking in the language department (other then making the manual with the game in English and how hard is that) or difficulty. Just make more copies pimp slap the stores and watch your RPG releases double (exaggeration)

+ meeksparda24 on April 30th, 2009 at 11:50 am said:

@CHRP718 I agree tetsuya Nomura appearence would be awesome to on ps blog so jeff please get him.

On topic: good interview question jeff I hope wkc have japanese voice over. A few platinum trophies thats great.

+ Vash_Nightmare on April 30th, 2009 at 11:52 am said:

Jeff, these questions were exactly what I wanted to know and what I would have asked myself, Thank you very much for picking up the best questions.
I definitely hope that we can play with players around the world and that the japanese voices are included.
These two features are ESSENTIAL to me.

+ chuckytrucky on April 30th, 2009 at 11:56 am said:

I didn’t catch him say if it did or did not have off line co-op I would love to see that in a few RPGs especially in the single player campaign, but being able to log my friend in on second player and us both going onto online would be cool too

+ Blkant on April 30th, 2009 at 12:00 pm said:

As hyped up as I was for the KZ2 DLC, this update takes the cake for best thing today. I must admit WK:C’s online sound absolutely awesome :)

+ Thrasher20 on April 30th, 2009 at 12:08 pm said:

Fo sho!

+ jqtaxpayer on April 30th, 2009 at 12:09 pm said:

I’m really looking forward to this game. I bought Dark Cloud on a whim a while back knowing nothing about it and I really enjoyed it — then I picked up Dark Cloud 2, which quickly became one of my favorite PS2 games. My fiancee says it’s one of her favorite games of all time.

PLEASE, guys! Consider bringing a Dark Cloud sequel to PS3!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Tsubasa Inaba on April 30th, 2009 at 12:14 pm said:

Hey everyone,

Just jumping in here, to the point on including Japanese Voice Overs.

As I mentioned to Jeff during the interview, I was honestly surprised to the amount of interest in this feature.

My being a Japanese minority here in the US probably confuses me a little more… :-)

Now that it has been brought to my attention, I DO see your points.

I’ll make sure to make this a discussion point with the developer in our next meeting. Can’t make any commitments now, but we will certainly look into it.

Don’t forget to check out the English Voice Overs too. We’ve spent a lot of time with this, and are happy with the results so far.

+ RurouniSaiya-jin on April 30th, 2009 at 12:16 pm said:

Excellent interview. Really looking forward to adding this to my collection. This and Alpha Protocol will be the RPGs monopolizing my PS3 gaming time this holiday season ^,^

+ Kattleox on April 30th, 2009 at 12:17 pm said:

I will definitely pick this up day one. I have absolutely loved Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy, but have a question. Dark Cloud 2 was such a varied game what with Georama, Spheda, Fishing, Fish RACES even…the list goes on and on. You could play that game a million different ways in one day.

Will there be anything like that in WKC or will it be an RPG to the end–that is, mostly exploring, questing, fighting?

Again, good work on this and indeed, all of your games. I have come to respect Level 5 the same way I respect Kojima: don’t bother reading reviews, just buy it. You can’t be disappointed if it says Level 5 on the box. (And for all of you who havent played Dark Cloud 2 DO IT! And use the Frozen Tuna!)

+ sam_i_jam on April 30th, 2009 at 12:18 pm said:

Thanks for looking into it Tsubasa-san.

There’s just something special about playing a game or seeing a film in its original language.

Very few examples really match the quality of acting in the originals (exceptions like MGS series exist of course).

I will be at TGS this year. Will you be in attendance?

+ Nick-30 on April 30th, 2009 at 12:18 pm said:

Jeff if so, can u please implement the feature to delete games off ‘my trophies’ for games that you have no trophies (0%) in.

and maybe delete games that u have trophies in case you are a trophy completionist and you can’t get all of the trophies.

For example, when my friend came over we played a game for like 15 minutes and we didnt get any trophies, now i have it on ‘my trophies’ and i can’t get trophies for it.
Please Jeff, you don’t know how much i would apreciate it.

I mentioned this to Chris in one of his posts and he said he would take it into consideration.

+ lukeb4dunk on April 30th, 2009 at 12:22 pm said:

Awesome interview. After reading through the comments, I would like to add I loved the Dark Cloud series and wonder if there will be a next-gen sequel somewhere down the line?

Please?

+ improperlyaged on April 30th, 2009 at 12:23 pm said:

good interview. but it needs less still pics and more real time footage.game looks amazing. cant wait to buy it! the only question is when can i but it?

+ OmegaArchetype on April 30th, 2009 at 12:24 pm said:

Awesome, my question was answered!!

I’m glad to hear it, I’m also glad to hear that Level-5′s tradition of weapon fusing will make a showing in WKC. Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy both had it, and it’s good to see it return.

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions, and I hope to hear soon on WKC’s release window. It is, afterall, one of the reasons I picked up a PS3 before any other next-gen system.

+ Cagalli on April 30th, 2009 at 12:27 pm said:

As someone who beat the Japanese version, I really hope you guys put in the Japanese language track. You’ve certainly got the space for it!

+ Emadeowa on April 30th, 2009 at 12:32 pm said:

@Jeff i see you have a Nascar avatar, how’d you like the last lap crash @Tally

+ JBruno on April 30th, 2009 at 12:32 pm said:

Nice info about WKC, lets hope that be released soon.

And Demons Souls? Any plans for a US release?

+ Emadeowa on April 30th, 2009 at 12:33 pm said:

oops Tsubasa Inaba

+ KSPRAYDAD on April 30th, 2009 at 12:33 pm said:

@49…um…thanks for the spoilers.

+ UltimaChocochu on April 30th, 2009 at 12:37 pm said:

Glad to hear some news on the US version of this game, we needed some RPG’s XD

+ ky181 on April 30th, 2009 at 12:39 pm said:

why are you wasting your time bring this game over its looks like garbage. Bring over Demon’s Souls or something else not this crap that no one is going to buy

+ KrashKrunal on April 30th, 2009 at 12:44 pm said:

I am absolutely loving the information you’ve given us over the past few days, and cannot wait to play this game for myself…

…that said, will this game be released in the US and EU together (any chance of that happening) or will there be a ‘slight’ delay (or will it be like what Square do and have a fairly large delay before EU releases)?

+ alaM0000 on April 30th, 2009 at 12:44 pm said:

SWEEET!!! CAN’T WAIT!!!! :D

+ BigBoss712 on April 30th, 2009 at 12:44 pm said:

Great interview jeff, been looking forward to this game since it was first announced at TGS.

+ KrashKrunal on April 30th, 2009 at 12:45 pm said:

@73, no-ones going to buy? Do you know how much following this game has? You obviously don’t seeing how you made those comments. This game is as equally welcome as is Demons Soul.

+ spatsnaz on April 30th, 2009 at 12:45 pm said:

Wonderful! So hyped for this game.

+ SuperD-710 on April 30th, 2009 at 12:46 pm said:

Tough platinum? That makes me sad :(

+ TrueStoryGuy on April 30th, 2009 at 12:49 pm said:

My excitement level for this game just shot up through the roof. Excellent interview. Definite purchase on my end.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on April 30th, 2009 at 5:55 pm said:

Awesome – looks like we\’re going to keep hitting up the readers for questions…

+ noie321 on April 30th, 2009 at 12:51 pm said:

Another vote for the Japanese voice over. Hopefully the company will include both voice over option into the game and allow for global online gameplay~!

Great interview ^^

+ Trieloth on April 30th, 2009 at 1:02 pm said:

Man I want this game so much, please release ASAP cuz I waiting in line already!!

+ Xoonaka on April 30th, 2009 at 1:04 pm said:

@ Tsubasa Inaba

Thanks so much for taking the time to do good English voice casting. Sometimes I feel like I’m in the minority that actually likes to understand the voices I’m hearing…

Been looking forward to this since the PS3 had two HDMI ports… can’t wait to plunge in!

+ GGCAN on April 30th, 2009 at 1:08 pm said:

Thanks for asking those questions Jeff.

Wasn’t going to get this game, but after your interview, I think my mind is changed.

This game looks very nice !

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on April 30th, 2009 at 1:11 pm said:

I didn’t even know Level 5 had US offices.

I want Professor Layton on the PSP Go! Since it’ll be touch screen (it better).

+ Silent_Gig on April 30th, 2009 at 1:14 pm said:

Ive been looking forward to the localization for this game for a long long time.

I love Level-4 so much as a company, i cant wait for other people to enjooy this game as much as i did with the japanese version (i played the game without knowing any japanese, i wanted it that bad!)

I have one question and one request.

Question 1: Will the game be released this year?

Request: Please get the UK to US localisation gaps as close as possible!

+ an_i_diot on April 30th, 2009 at 1:15 pm said:

MUST have Japanese voice!!!!!!!! Must!! pretty please?

+ FearMonkey on April 30th, 2009 at 1:15 pm said:

Your videos are blocked by the webfilter we have where I work. I don’t suppose you could host them somewhere else? :(

+ NEJI64 on April 30th, 2009 at 1:16 pm said:

i really do hope they have the Japanese voice acting after watching Anime. i’m kinda use to Anime and JRPG with its native language and with English subb..

+ ShotgunSean on April 30th, 2009 at 1:21 pm said:

when is the north american release window for white knight chronicles is it gonna be 3rd quarter or 4th quarter

+ fleinn on April 30th, 2009 at 1:21 pm said:

(Any word on an EU release?)

And thanks for looking into the Japanese VA option. Movies are best in their original language, absolutely. Games as well, imo. Specially if the subtitles attempt to be as indirect as the original – after all, you can get away with a few extraneous lines on the subs. Not so easy on the voice- overs. :)

+ bitbydeath on April 30th, 2009 at 1:23 pm said:

This’ll be my first ‘real’ RPG title for the PS3 can’t wait. (Not counting Folk Lore)

+ Silent_Gig on April 30th, 2009 at 1:24 pm said:

(sorry for my typing mistake LEVEL5 lol)

Also i really want close developer relationship with the game and its userbase, a White Knight Chronicles blog would be so helpful to many people and it will keep us in the llight about any patches or DLC – but that seems like it wont happen.

+ EmperorKorea on April 30th, 2009 at 1:29 pm said:

heard this game flopped in japan in both sales and in reviews. god i hope this game doesn’t suck.

+ NukeGoBoom on April 30th, 2009 at 1:30 pm said:

You should give credit to Shane Bettenhausen about the voice chat.He thought it of it TGS 2008.
The online is a Monster Hunter rip-off nothing more but we wouldnt have it any other way.
Some tiny question if you can quickly answer them.
Q.By the sound of the trophies you changed them.Is it to appeal to a more western audience?
Q.Is there text chat if you dont finish the development of voice chat?

+ Silencio22 on April 30th, 2009 at 1:31 pm said:

I’m really looking forward to this. Since I got my PS3 I have only seen good shooters and very few RPG’s. Can’t wait for the release.

+ NukeGoBoom on April 30th, 2009 at 1:32 pm said:

Actually the game had a really good score on Famitsu (Japans biggest gaming magazine) and sales were atleast decent for its small audience.

+ phinnv8 on April 30th, 2009 at 1:40 pm said:

This game looks interesting, finally PS3 getting another big RPG!

Hopefully Sony will thing about adding Cross Game VOICE chat so we don’t necessarily have to worry about this game having built in chat.

+ drdre74 on April 30th, 2009 at 1:41 pm said:

will there ever be a Rogue Galaxy for PS3?

+ firestryke09 on April 30th, 2009 at 1:43 pm said:

RELEASE DATE PLEASE! looking forward to a really great RPG now.