Bloodborne

White Knight Chronicles – Your Questions Answered

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Apr 30, 2009 // Sr. Social Media Manager

You may have read impressions of White Knight Chronicles garnered during our LA Media event in the last day or two, but I know you’ve got lots of questions. Today, we’re happy to bring you answers. In this video interview with US Producer Tsubasa Inaba, find out how the game works, how it might change for North American release, and the status voice chat.

Look for more on WKC at E3 and beyond.

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ Kenshin71 on April 30th, 2009 at 8:57 pm said:

Voice chat is essential. It’s one of the reasons Famitsu docked points off the game in their review. I’m surprised they didn’t include it in the Jp version as anyone who has played Jp servers of Warhawk or KZ2 would know Jp players use voice chat too.

+ FilliamHMuffman on April 30th, 2009 at 9:13 pm said:

Demon’s Souls is already in English. If SCEA doesn’t believe there is sufficient demand to justify a retail release, do a PSN release. It’s the perfect format for niche titles and the PS3 needs every RPG it can get. That’s what SCEA did with Siren so it’s not without precedent.

+ TheRebellion on April 30th, 2009 at 9:25 pm said:

Jeff will Sony be showing off anything for the upcoming ghostbusters game at E3? i think they need to have live gameplay of that, to get peoples attention. i know it will gte mine.

+ Cloud668 on April 30th, 2009 at 10:04 pm said:

Nice, I’ve wanted to play this for ages but couldn’t afford importing it.

Just wondering, if you guys are gonna put the Japanese audio in there, by any chance will there be an option for the text too? For those of us who can read it.

+ Martin_Keamy on April 30th, 2009 at 10:32 pm said:

Awesome. Another great interview. :)

I’ve been following this game for a while like most people, but I honestly didn’t know too much about it. I can’t wait for this game to hit the NA region!

+ Martin_Keamy on April 30th, 2009 at 10:34 pm said:

Off topic, but in response to other comments about Demon’s Soul, I’m REAAAAAAALLY hoping for a NA release to be announced at E3. If not, I will import it, but here’s to hoping for a NA release! :)

+ Tracidic on April 30th, 2009 at 10:53 pm said:

Level 5 rocks, I’ve played Dark Cloud 1 & 2, DQVIII and Rogue Galaxy. Keep it up guys!

+ Enigma777 on April 30th, 2009 at 11:49 pm said:

By god, please have Japanese voiceovers available Tsubasa!!! I always prefer Japanese over English voices 9and the lip syncing doesn’t hurt either).

Anyways I can;t wait till this game. Theres been a drought of (great) RPG’s on the PS3 and I really hope we get it this year so it can hold me over till FF13 comes out)

+ Herlock21 on April 30th, 2009 at 11:53 pm said:

@127 SuperSonic1305

Yu kidding right we want both, some purist, coregamer and Rpg fan want japanese voice and Subtitles ok, i dont understant why the producer is so shocked about that, with the blu ray is possible and so easy, Uncharted have 50 languages and subtitles, listen the buyer and the fan PLZ!

I buy this console for Japanese game not for FPS but we dont have any, i want game from SCEE and SCEJ too!

We dont have any game from Japan no Aquanaut no Afrika no My summer holiday III no Demon’s Souls no Kenzan no Yakuza III so please for with one make it right for everyone and release this game too, and stop this!

+ TheThunder2008CA on May 1st, 2009 at 2:07 am said:

Jeff if you happen to meet a SECA guy please ask him about Demon’s Souls and if there is a NA release

thx great job BTW

+ Jeremy092387 on May 1st, 2009 at 4:00 am said:

Awesome interview, lots of information on the U.S. version. I can’t wait, Level-5 lately has been becoming the king of RPGs. Rogue Galaxy was awesome and this is looking better. Kudos to Tsubasa Inaba and all the work of his team on the localization on this game.

Oh and thanks Jeff for pushing Tales of Vesperia out for a U.S. release. Get everyone to push them, this is the game that made me jealous of 360 owners!

+ Sirynx77 on May 1st, 2009 at 4:53 am said:

Its great that the game is coming to North America. I really do hope that SCEA does not forget to include the Japanese dialogue along with English Subtitles. If I find out that the game will not ship with it, it will be a major strike on the game for me(as well to plenty of other gamers)to not buy it. I was have found that English dubbing of Japanese games have been terrible. I has made me get rid of games in the past.

+ Michelasso on May 1st, 2009 at 5:20 am said:

Any news about an European release??

+ PirateThom on May 1st, 2009 at 5:36 am said:

Dark Cloud was one of my favourite PS2 games. Would definitely be interested in a PS3 game. :D

+ Mosh_Pit on May 1st, 2009 at 5:40 am said:

really looking foward to this game.. been waiting for awhile for an rpg online on ps3.. 4 player on a quest..hmmm it reminds me the good old pso xD or me and my buddies playing monster hunter on the psp.. xD keep em coming (mmo’s) for the ps3!!

+ Gunwing on May 1st, 2009 at 6:03 am said:

What about a new Shaddow of Colossis PS3/PSP game? Interconnectivity would work well in that form of game for sure!

Also some more exclusives for the PS3 would help! IE get EA games, and others from third parties: Manly the Ace Combat Developers, and the like to get back on the PS3!

+ PLD_Danny1989 on May 1st, 2009 at 6:25 am said:

@ Jeff

Will the EU release of WKC be at the same time as the NA release?

Also, I know you’ve been asked about the NA ToV already, but can I add the question of if ToV on PS3 will come to Europe?

Thanks in advance =)

+ Rinaldus91 on May 1st, 2009 at 7:04 am said:

Inaba! You have so much of my respect for bringing this over to the states, and looking at all the other high quality games you’ve worked on I have no worries that WKC will be in great shape when released here.

Keep up the awesome work! Oh, and any word on a Dark Cloud 3 from Level 5? Been wanting a sequel for a while now :0

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Tsubasa Inaba on May 1st, 2009 at 10:45 am said:

Thanks!

Sadly, I have no idea about DC3.
    Let me focus on WKC for now, and we\’ll take it from there!

+ Aotar on May 1st, 2009 at 7:21 am said:

lol jeff, have u uhh… noticed how much uhhh… you do uhh… this uhhhhhhm…. things? lol :P

+ EL_Hintern on May 1st, 2009 at 7:35 am said:

This game will rock. Its the only game I want for Ps3… and Hitman 5 of course ;)

+ Xulap on May 1st, 2009 at 7:53 am said:

Thanks for the great interview! I love these, and I’m always looking forward to watch some new ones.

About the game… I’m definetely getting it. I need something like this. An online RPG, a breath of fresh air. All I’m playing online these days are shooters and shooters(and LittleBIGPlanet).

Anyway, I was talking to my friends about this game, and well, now we’re all excited. You got three copies sold here. Now we need a fourth friend to enjoy that online mode 100%.

+ HugoIce on May 1st, 2009 at 11:05 am said:

Thanks alot jeff and tsubasa for the great interview and the awesome game, can’t wait for it to come out and go play it =)

I definetly hope this game is of huge sucess so you guys from Level 5 start bringing us awesome RPGs and kick the ass out of Square Enix for being greedy people who only care about money and not the fans.

Thanks again.

+ HugoIce on May 1st, 2009 at 11:18 am said:

Im sorry for the double post but i have a question maybe Mr Inaba can awnser me.

Mr Inaba, what does a person have to do to start working on an RPG field like you do? To develop a game and go to a nice team like yours Level 5.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Tsubasa Inaba on May 1st, 2009 at 5:39 pm said:

Hello Hugoice

I see you have a very focused sense of direction for your career path.
    (it is a good starting point)

However there are so many ways to approach this.

There are many angles to game development, or furthermore, working in the game industry.

Take some time to think about what areas you might have the skill set for.

Are you an artist?
    Are you an engineer/programmer?

With the skills A, B and C that you have, what can you deliver/provide to the team that would be worth hiring you? Why would the company hire you over another applicant?

Try to think about what questions you might ask, if you were the interviewer.

Once you have a clear vision on such points, it will help you pursue further in obtaining such skill sets (if you don\’t have them already). Not to say having all skill sets will promise you a job in the industry, but it will obviously help.

Good luck!

+ Prem-aka-Prince on May 1st, 2009 at 1:50 pm said:

I’d just like to say, it’s cool to see the interviewee responding to comments as well. Only on playstation!

+ HugoIce on May 1st, 2009 at 7:19 pm said:

Mr Inaba,

Thanks alot for your awnser, Im sure you have a very busy schedle but still come here to reply to some of the fans. Just shows how much of a Sir you really are.

Your awnsers clear’s up somethings for me, but what i find hard is for example someone like me that is from Portugal, how can I get inside a foregner Team just like Level 5 or any other company that produces games for Ps3 and other plataforms. Personally what i would like to do, would be design the characters and enviroments of certain games but in portugal is very hard to learn that, and I have 0 work possibilities.

So thats what truly upsets me and leaves me thinking what should I do, if you know what i mean.

Once again thanks alot for your awnser and for taking your time.
Your a true gentleman for coming by and awnsering some of the questions.

You sir have all my respect and gratitude for what you are doing.

Thanks alot.

+ AnFangsEndes on May 1st, 2009 at 9:32 pm said:

Any news on Ushiro or Danball Senki coming anytime soon?

+ klee1234 on May 2nd, 2009 at 8:28 am said:

With Blu Ray, there is no excuse for mono language tracks for jrpgs. Eternal Sonata and Valkyria were both bilingual, so for me, the standard has been set.

+ HugoIce on May 2nd, 2009 at 12:45 pm said:

Yes thats a thing im hoping for aswell is that White Knight brings the main Audio languange, because I personally dont like very much the english voices, i prefer alot more to listen to the voices in japanese and read the subtitles.

Hope the japanese voices are included in game.

+ vavires on May 2nd, 2009 at 2:23 pm said:

No news on european releases?

+ mckg123456789 on May 2nd, 2009 at 2:43 pm said:

SWEET ICANT WAIT ! i have had my eye on this game for a while and this will be a day one purchase for me. ps3 need more RPGs like WKC! the game looks great level 5, keep it up! :D

+ KALEL114 on May 2nd, 2009 at 5:18 pm said:

I’m not sure if it has been asked yet, but are there any plans for a Europe release?

+ ExcelKnight on May 2nd, 2009 at 7:54 pm said:

Tsubasa Inaba, if I may… The Japanese voice overs are often preferred by some of the more hardcore RPG players. These same people like watching Anime with subs instead of dubs.

I’m split. Level 5 usually gets some high quality actors for their games (Jeanne D’Arc was great with Kari Wahlgren) and other recent JRPG releases had very good dubs (Valkyria Chronicles). Thing is, it’s nice to also hear the original voices who worked on the project. Marina Inoue was great in Valkyria Chronicles and I’m sure Daisuke Namikawa doesn’t disappoint as Leonard in WKC.

Ooh, here’s a question very few people have even asked: Who’s voicing who among the English voice actors? Are we going with Yuri Lowenthal doing Leonard?

+ Albator356 on May 3rd, 2009 at 12:39 am said:

Thanks Jeff and Inaba. Much appreciated. :)

+ HawkEyes1 on May 3rd, 2009 at 11:40 am said:

Definitely looking forward to some RPGs in America and White Knight Chronicles is on my Must have for 2009 thats if its even due out this year?..With Trophy suppport etc.. But first SCEA needs to get there act together and fix the bugs in HOME and on the PSN Network Trophies are not Syncing etc..Where is XMB so we can play our MP3′s? SONY?..Seriously you guys had 3 years to make this happen and I have not seen this feature as of yet and its a big Disappiontmet.. =(

+ Oweineh on May 4th, 2009 at 9:08 am said:

Nice , glad it’s finally coming :)
I’ve been wondering when exactly is it going to be released in the us ?

+ Oweineh on May 4th, 2009 at 9:10 am said:

BTW Mr.Inaba your english is really great ;)

+ Nosajk on May 4th, 2009 at 10:36 pm said:

Nice!!! I cant wait!!! All i want now is a USA release for Tales Of Vesperia!!! <3 Please Jeff!!! keep pushing Namco Bandai!!!! I love Tales Games and PS3 hasn’t have one while all the other consoles had! Please make it happen!! White Knight Chronicles!! FTW

+ soysauce on May 5th, 2009 at 12:51 pm said:

@Tsubasa Inaba

I imported the game to US and am really enjoying the gameplay. Still have not translated story to fully understand what is going on, but am really enjoying the game, enough to when a US release happens, I will buy a US copy for me and my brother as well. Thanks for the great game. I really like the japanese voice acting, if at all possible, could that still be included in the US release? This game has filled my RPG void I have had lately. Great mix of gathering, creating armor and weapons and i love the online co-op part. My brother and I are excited about that part. Looking forward to the US release. Thanks Level 5 for another great game ^^d.

+ hxa155 on May 8th, 2009 at 7:55 pm said:

Inaba-san, you and Level 5 are so awesome.
Thank you for your hard work. I will be enjoying this game.

+ DarkCvstos on May 14th, 2009 at 11:34 pm said:

@Jeff

Thank you for pushing Namco to get Vesperia released in the US on PS3. I honestly can’t wait for that game!

+ Yosagi83 on May 17th, 2009 at 4:54 pm said:

Hello Jeff. I do not mean to be annoying when I ask this, but will everything be able to be done in offline mode? and are all trophies accessible in offline mode? the reason I am asking is because I 100% DQVIII and Rogue Galaxy, and I’d like to be able to do the same with this. Thank you for your time.

+ soysauce on May 20th, 2009 at 1:32 pm said:

@Yosagi83

If the US version is the same as the Japanese version than you will be needing to invest thousands of hours into the game, and even than I am not sure that one could do 100% of the game offline and complete and get all the trophies. The side quest you do with your created character are done solo offline. No AI help from other characters. Online you can team up with others. The quest seam to be catered to grouping with people. Not saying you cannot do them solo, but I am starting to run into the problem with higher rank quest, running out of time to complete the quest. The quest are limited to an hour. Some have you running all over the place gathering and killing and that gets really difficult solo. I have yet to go online, but am deeply considering it cause of the time issue. I will probably grind out some more levels to strengthen my character to see if that helps. Hope the info helps.

lol, I can’t believe I am considering doing this all again when the US version comes out, ha ha ha.

PAGE 1 2 3 4