PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Enormous Update Coming to PlayStation Home

Locust_Star's Avatar + Posted by Locust_Star on May 06, 2009 // PlayStation Home Community Manager

Greetings, Home-people. Locust_Star here dropping in to give you the straight truth on what new goodies to expect in PlayStation Home this week. Simply put, this is one of the biggest content updates in the history of Home – and we think you’re going to dig what we have in store for you.

Siren: Blood Curse Wallpaper 2

By popular demand, we have brought the Siren: Blood Curse space over from Japan (this space will appear in the European region at a later date). The basic overview is this: The Siren Home space is broken up into three basic zones. When you first enter the Siren space, you’re outside the Ward of Despair, in what looks like an old, rundown carnival space. The entrance to the Ward is just a few steps away. Upon entering it, you’ll find yourself in the mini-game’s lobby. Inside you’ll see video screens on the walls and places to sit and mingle with other players waiting their turn to enter the Ward of Despair mini game. When you’re ready to play, simply approach the receptionist and she’ll send you into the Ward (assuming that the background downloading is complete, which begins upon entry to the lobby scene and can take a few moments).

The Ward of Despair is the Saiga Hospital stage from this PSN downloadable game, recreated as a mini-game for Home, and playable with up to 5 players. Everyone is tasked with objectives that must be completed within the 5 minute time limit. If a Shibito, or zombie, catches you, it’s game over. Also, if you can’t complete the game before the time limit runs out, it’s game over for everyone. Successful completion of all objectives presents the player(s) with reward items in the form of some super creepy costumes.

Take time over the weekend to visit this space and earn these reward items, as we’ll be throwing a special event for those of you that manage to successfully complete the Ward of Despair mini-game. See, on Tuesday, May 12th, between the hours of 4:00pm and 7:00pm PT (6:00pm and 9:00am EST), we’ll be throwing the Siren: HorrorBowl bowling tournament. Users that show up for this bowling tournament outfitted with the Siren reward items will qualify for a random giveaway of the first Siren: Blood Curse bundle (episodes 1-4), which we’ll be passing out via PSN vouchers throughout the event.

In coordination with this space launch and event, the PlayStation Store will be offering a special sale on the full game and the episode bundles. The full game is now only $29.99, and each of the 3 episode bundles is only $10.99. So now’s the time to head over to the store and pick up the game if you haven’t already, or to snatch up those last remaining episodes to complete your collection. There’s even a demo available on the PS Store, so you can try it out before you buy it.

By now, you’re probably well aware of the Patapon 2 event/t-shirt launch also going on in Home on Thursday, May 7th. But I’m here to tell you that we have even more in terms of exclusive vids playing in-world for you this weekend. The fine folk behind the hilarious upcoming PSN multiplayer game Fat Princess have given us an exclusive “behind-the-scenes” developer diary video, delving into the inspiration behind this comic medieval battle royale, to air for one week in the Theater. This video will only be up for a limited time—one week only—before it makes its way to the PS Store later this month. So make sure you log in to Home and head over to the Theater to check it out before anyone else.

Moving away from this week’s events and into the realm of apartments, we are pleased to announce two new premium areas coming your way this Thursday. These two apartments are a new “Log Cabin”-themed area and the Living Room Stage Set.

The Living Room Stage Set will go on sale in the PlayStation Home Mall and will be loaded with interactive lights, cameras, backdrops and movie-related equipment to simulate a real-life studio production environment. The versatile lighting and camera systems allow for a wide range of desired angles, movements, transitions, cuts and lens set-ups that allow you to take control of the technical and artistic aspects. Combined with 12 props that come with the space to decorate the set, you’ll have access to the tools necessary to create your own film. Priced at $4.99, the Living Room Stage Set will be available at the Estates store in PlayStation Home Mall for your directorial debut.

On top of all this, we have a metric boatload of virtual items coming down the pike including Tekken costumes and figurines and 14 Killzone 2 shirts (plus a bunch of other gear in the Threads store). We also think you’ll pleased to find that the inFAMOUS pre-order and reward outfits will begin unlocking right on time.

There’s more stuff to do in Home than ever before, so come on in and give it all a spin. We’ll be looking for you.

+ RyanMcBainDOTcom on May 6th, 2009 at 10:09 am said:

YAWN…

Where is the trophy room?
Where is the return of voice chat?
Where is universal game launching?
Where is the ability to play music and movies in your private space?

+ EvoAnubis on May 6th, 2009 at 10:09 am said:

“Siren: Blood Curse is one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had. Trophies would be a welcome addition to this excellent game.”

I’ll second that.

+ Chase167 on May 6th, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

will there be a monthly fee

+ jixjax on May 6th, 2009 at 10:18 am said:

Enormous….LOL

+ inspace2020 on May 6th, 2009 at 10:21 am said:

I see a lot of people complaining about not having a recording feature in the HOME Movie Set. ( I did too initially) But realistically it would be A LOT of work to implement such a feature. You can’t just have YOUTUBE uploading because you have to edit the video first! There is going to be tons of post editing need to even make a decent “film”. Not to mention voice overs.

I really think this is a good idea and a good start. Though as someone else mentioned, things are pretty limited when it comes to avatar animations and how would you get multiple characters “actors” on the set without inviting people over when then you lose all control of the scene…nice start….still needs to be fleshed out before I invest the time need to make something worth creating.

Keep it up though, with some updates I will definitely purchase this along with all the props you can churn out!

+ RGS-14 on May 6th, 2009 at 10:23 am said:

I would really like to buy a house in home like the videos in E3 had.

When will this be available?…if at all

+ commedieu on May 6th, 2009 at 10:32 am said:

is there voice chat for the private spaces?

Locust_Star's Avatar

+ Locust_Star on May 6th, 2009 at 10:55 am said:

Yes. Voice chat functionality is currently supported in all of our private spaces.

+ DropD on May 6th, 2009 at 10:35 am said:

To make a film worth watching you need a good story, storyboards for timing and blocking etc.,editing, VO, music, etc.
If you are with me so far, grabbing video off the PS3 is not expensive or technical. It will cut down on the garbage that people will upload just because they can record.
Owning a word processor and PC doesn’t make you a writer, they’re just tools. Same as hitting record and uploading to Youtube makes anyone a film maker.
Have some respect for the craft people, this is a great first step. Some people will see potential and soar with it, while most will complain ad nauseum.

+ stri on May 6th, 2009 at 10:37 am said:

This is nice and I appreciate that you devs are providing content to keep Home interesting.

We are still waiting on the ability to play/display our own music, movies/videos and images though.
We are also waiting on the trophy display areas as well.

Though I love the diversity of the Home environment, I must say that it all comes second to what I’ve listed above.

Perhaps those things should be top priority, seeing as how they appear to be highly requested features.
Provide what is asked for, and then work on the rest.

Oh, and please consider allowing us to move a little quicker if desired (in general areas so it doesn’t affect the mini-games).

Thanks for the updates though, I don’t mean to sound unappreciative. I do enjoy the content.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

+ zombie9 on May 6th, 2009 at 11:00 am said:

This Zombie is in. :-) C-U there!!!

+ Korbei83 on May 6th, 2009 at 11:12 am said:

Hmmm. I just looked up ‘universal’ on dictionary.com… strangely, Street Fighter IV isn’t mentioned in that definition.

Let me go check out New Urban Dictionary.

+ SolduNuts on May 6th, 2009 at 11:13 am said:

I visit Home daily mostly due to the fact that Xi is very addicting. Hopefully with more and more support coming to Sony and Home by the time Xi is over I will have plenty of reasons to keep coming to Home daily.

Hey Locust_Star what is the time table looking like for the EA Sports Complex to be completely finished because I would like to try some golf and maybe get my names up on the leader boards that were supposed to be in there. Also if we become high rollers in the EA Sports Complex do we still get the high roller gold championship bracelet for our avatar that was previously mentioned. Thank you and keep up the good work.

+ Venias on May 6th, 2009 at 11:13 am said:

I just wanted the developers at Home to know that I love your service and I’m really fond of the constant updates you guys release, which I find is done tremendously well and really allows more users to enjoy the product, although there is one issue I have with it and hopefully it will be answered in this thread. Are you planning on giving us users the option to download additional content such as houses and clothes via the PlayStation store instead of directly through Home, because I know many who have this issue as well as me, and I’d love for it to be addressed.

+ Letters2Kay on May 6th, 2009 at 11:13 am said:

An answer aout the functionality of the TV and stereo would be nice, guys…

???

+ Sekoku on May 6th, 2009 at 11:18 am said:

Oh, hey, that’s neat you’re bringing content over from the (IMO) superior Japan region. (Now if you would give us the Disgaea 3 shirts Japan got for free… *cough*talk to Nippon-Ichi America? *cough*)

Are there plans to bring the summer festival area they got over, maybe turning it into a summer carnival thing for “American”izing?

+ Viprdude on May 6th, 2009 at 11:20 am said:

CROSS GAME VOICE CHAT!

+ Slayer612 on May 6th, 2009 at 11:36 am said:

I AM SO BUYING THAT NEW HOME PLACE!!!!

+ Luminaire28 on May 6th, 2009 at 11:36 am said:

So when are we finally going to see more hair and facial hair options? I’m tired of the only beard being that mountain man beard.

+ brinstarx on May 6th, 2009 at 11:42 am said:

Could you please make the blue and white Patapon shirts available for female avatars? Overall, I have been extremely disappointed in the clothing options for female avatars. The Diesel store is the worst offender in this, but your own offerings for female avatars disappoint me again and again.

+ lord_ashour on May 6th, 2009 at 11:44 am said:

I think the the Living Room Stage Set should have Youtube uploading feature or at least the ability to save the video to your PS3 hard disk.

+ Da_Kicks_87 on May 6th, 2009 at 12:07 pm said:

A new apartment cool! But when can we put pool and chess tables in them? Im mean we’ve been waiting since December for this feature…

+ Lirion on May 6th, 2009 at 12:08 pm said:

When can we expect music from the XMB to be able to play while we’r in Home?

+ ARK4U on May 6th, 2009 at 12:12 pm said:

So is HOME still in beta? When the heck its going to be released as a proper release version? Also all this content is well and good but what about core gaming functionality promised in HOME (like game launch, party system across all games etc)???? When will Sony make it mandatory for all devs to include these things? The way things are going it looks like it will be fully realized when PS4 comes out :/

+ NHDrumline17 on May 6th, 2009 at 12:15 pm said:

is a resistance themed space still coming?

+ The_X_Factor_9 on May 6th, 2009 at 12:27 pm said:

Game launching is the ONLY reason that I would ever even consider using HOME. I’ve used it a couple of times and to be honest, there’s not much there to do. You have download and load up every space…it leads to a really disjointed experience in my opinion.

I like the premise of HOME, but the fact is, there’s not really much compelling stuff here. Especially when you’re charging money for it.

Make HOME integration a STANDARD for all PS3 games and then maybe…just maybe you’ll begin to get some serious momentum on your side.

+ Kyle_Abby on May 6th, 2009 at 12:40 pm said:

Thats Great! Glad to hear this Locust_Star! One thing though, is the PSN money cards coming to Canada soon? I can not buy the stage set or anything else because they do not have the PSN cards here yet. Hopefully they will be coming soon!

+ sscoolChea on May 6th, 2009 at 12:41 pm said:

Will we ever see a MLB the show space . I know that there is a EA space but beside madden I don’t play any other games for EA . Its only fitting to have mlb the show space the best baseball game ever .

+ ADR143 on May 6th, 2009 at 12:47 pm said:

man this is a big update!

+ CRUNKRIS on May 6th, 2009 at 1:02 pm said:

I preoreder inFAMOUS. Do the codes go out soon? Will we have the Reaper Gang costumes tomorrow?

thanx 4 the hard work, this update kicks azz

+ eckoman1 on May 6th, 2009 at 1:05 pm said:

i saw a tv in the video
does tha mean theres tvs in home now?

+ xPPrKutXX on May 6th, 2009 at 1:30 pm said:

I wish we had something to do in our private space, like play pool or something with friends.

+ JayD-1K on May 6th, 2009 at 1:31 pm said:

are there going to be any new wall paper for the apartments? even themed wall paper from Sony only games would be nice!

+ jj_dillon on May 6th, 2009 at 1:42 pm said:

Thursday, May 7th is gonna be SWEET!!
I heard about Siren from a friend in HongKong
he says its sick but besides that, its about time you guys in Home management came up with something this big. I mean come on, new spaces both public and private and new items ? come tomorrow I think I might faint. lol

+ doglover2399 on May 6th, 2009 at 1:46 pm said:

cool. I can’t wait. thanks

+ Maximegalon on May 6th, 2009 at 1:52 pm said:

No offense, but how is this update “Enormous”?

You’ve only added one space. Most ravid Home users have accounts for the other regions, and have already seen this.

Maybe if there was MGS and LBP spaces already?

+ vistadreamer on May 6th, 2009 at 1:55 pm said:

Awesome guys! Keep up the great work! It wasn’t my idea of “within a month” for the home apartments exactly, but I am pleased to see them very shortly after I had imagined them arriving. Thank you for the information a month ago Locust. :)

+ vistadreamer on May 6th, 2009 at 1:56 pm said:

You definitely have me back to spending money in Home now. Congratulations! You won me over! LOL.

+ CRUNKRIS on May 6th, 2009 at 2:03 pm said:

@Maximegalon

Well, this is an enormous update for those who follow the TOS. and its enormous besides. Alot of content is comming to Home whether or not one part of the huge update has been experienced before or not. I can’t remember a bigger update. This is the biggest yet. I think that is fact.

+ DARKGEEKROCKER on May 6th, 2009 at 2:19 pm said:

i havent been on home in awhile since the original beta, have they re added in game pictures, added in house custom music, video, or anything new feature rise?

+ Zero-Ace4 on May 6th, 2009 at 2:32 pm said:

im missing out locust so now theres chimera costumes yay im thinking u read my thread or someone else with my idea

+ crazypeng1 on May 6th, 2009 at 2:38 pm said:

WHAT! i was super excited about the movie space, like seriously, it was a first buy of any actual stuff within home. but as i read carefully, you will not support being able to record in the dam* environment? yeah, so much for that. i’m guessing no editor obviously, so the cool clips that i saw before were all just crap, and we have no cool camera affects? way to go SCEA, just way to go. when you guys decide to actually make this space mean something, notify me, ok?

+ redknight4 on May 6th, 2009 at 2:39 pm said:

so for having to capture the video myself in the stage set will my Sony DVMC-DA2 still be able to capture video or will the red protect light activate disallowing me to capture video

+ ToRllQue on May 6th, 2009 at 2:41 pm said:

How about a preview of the Log Cabin themed apartment?

+ JasonFrost on May 6th, 2009 at 2:46 pm said:

Where are our Star Trek clothes for the NA Home?

+ l0_t0 on May 6th, 2009 at 3:12 pm said:

Please i wanna now something about the “hall of fame” or trophy space.
Since the fist demostration in 2007 we don´t know anything more.
Is still in development or not?

Thanks.

+ Atomika14 on May 6th, 2009 at 3:30 pm said:

Wow! This is a lot of stuff! Nice work!

+ Dehshizknight on May 6th, 2009 at 3:44 pm said:

I’m definitely downloading that new apartment. My brother and my cousins are gonna love screwing around with that stuff to make machinima videos (I dunno, they’re big on stupid creativity; big fans of Smosh and stuff like that).

+ QCVic on May 6th, 2009 at 3:49 pm said:

Home is getting better each week. I am getting a little free time so I will definately be making my way back on the PS3 for this.

+ Skant on May 6th, 2009 at 3:57 pm said:

There isn’t sufficient capacity in Home to handle the registered user base. Not by a long shot. And it means that if you login to Home, you quickly discover you can’t do anything without waiting. And waiting. And waiting.

Because there are, for instance, only 4 pool tables to serve millions of people.

And to make matters worse, there isn’t even a queuing system for waiting in line to get in on a game. You have to sit there and watch for your narrow window of opportunity to get in.

And then when you do get in, most of the slots in the game aren’t filled. Because most of the people waiting around miss that narrow window. So you don’t even get the satisfaction of playing a game with a bunch of people.

It’s positively rediculous. It’s like it wasn’t thought all the way through.

You can keep on adding content all you like, but it’s kindof useless as long as your basic operating premise doesn’t actually work.

+ Lumbo on May 6th, 2009 at 4:13 pm said:

@149
actually there are 4 Pool tables to serve exactly 50 users, as each home room is instanced depending on the total amount of people logged in, the normal limit is 50 people per room, with an unlimited amount of instances serving every possible amount of total users. As each pool table can host 8 people you can have 32 people per 50 people room playing, that “narrow window” just became a huge panorama view…

But the ignorant blabber shows how meager your understanding of Home is …