Bloodborne

Critter Crunch! PlayStation Network! Barf!

Kris Piotrowski's Avatar + Posted by Kris Piotrowski on May 12, 2009 // Creative Director, Capy

Hello, new best friends!

This is Kris. I’m the creative director at Capy, which means I’m by-far the coolest guy at the studio. And Capy is pretty cool, so that’s not just talk. Anyway, who is Capy, right? Well, Capy is an indie studio from the sometimes frozen, other times disgustingly humid Canadian wonderland known as Toronto.

So, um, check this trailer…but only if you’re down with technicolor barf!

Boing! That was me announcing Critter Crunch for PlayStation Network!

Everyone at Capy has been working super-hard creating this crazy little arcade-puzzler (and filling it with humongous doses of love) so we’re very excited to finally announce its existence. Critter Crunch is fueled by an original and award-winning “food chain” puzzle mechanic, which is all about feeding critters into each other until they burst. It’s exactly as cute as it is horrible and sad, just like nature itself!

The game features a bunch of single player modes like adventure & puzzle, as well as online and local multiplayer in versus & co-op flavors, with a plethora of fancy trophies to collect. It also has lots of really pretty 1080p art that should make your HDTV happy.

I hope you like it!

CritterCrunch Single- Player Screen1

If you have any questions, fire away in the comments below and I’ll do my best to answer them…and check back for more PlayStation.Blog updates soon!

-Kris

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ sam_i_jam on May 12th, 2009 at 10:36 am said:

This is so ridiculous and full of cute-overdose.

I approve! :)

+ KwietStorm on May 12th, 2009 at 10:37 am said:

haha what a weird ass game

+ enormhi on May 12th, 2009 at 10:40 am said:

Don’t have a Credit Card. Don’t have PSN cards.
PSN cards not in europe jet…

+ Dashikun on May 12th, 2009 at 10:41 am said:

This Definately looks like a interesting puzzler, cute, and gross at the same time, I Just have to pick it up :D

+ stlthriot on May 12th, 2009 at 10:42 am said:

LOL, looks hilarious! :D

+ Vengeful-Chaos on May 12th, 2009 at 10:43 am said:

Hey my new best friend Kris creative director at Capy, hows it going?

I was thinking as your bestest friend in the whole wide world (not just Canada) I should totally get the hook up with the game.

All kidding aside it looks very interesting.

+ Aquario on May 12th, 2009 at 10:43 am said:

The game market is full of these kinds of games, why not make something diferent?

+ Anubis80 on May 12th, 2009 at 10:47 am said:

LOL that video was great! hahaha

Looks like something that I would play.

When does it release?
How much will it cost?

I love puzzle type games and this will be something that I would buy.

+ Kris Piotrowski on May 12th, 2009 at 10:54 am said:

Hey Anubis,
    Our game will be out at some point this summer and we\’ll be announcing the price later but… it won\’t be 10 bucks.

+ Kris Piotrowski on May 12th, 2009 at 11:12 am said:

Oh, by that I mean it won\’t more MORE than 10 bucks!

+ Shukio on May 12th, 2009 at 10:48 am said:

I like the style of the game, but there’s already a million of these type of games out there and for free too. I’d rather have seen something original.

+ GamerMoney on May 12th, 2009 at 10:48 am said:

looks pretty cool

+ onipar on May 12th, 2009 at 10:52 am said:

Oh dear god…

Awesome. :-)

+ Marauderxt on May 12th, 2009 at 10:52 am said:

Wondering if there is going to be a demo?

It looks interesting especially the art, it’s very bright and colorful.

+ Kris Piotrowski on May 12th, 2009 at 10:57 am said:

Hey hey,
    yup, we are planning to release a demo closer to the actual launch on PSN. Thanks for the comment about the art, Maraudrext!

+ KatanaStrikes on May 12th, 2009 at 10:54 am said:

Video looked great. Weird and funny. Love the art style. Not quite grasping what you have to do yet but would certainly love to give this a try.

Thanks!

+ KazeEternal on May 12th, 2009 at 10:55 am said:

Kris can you be sure that InGame Music (XMB Music) is enabled for this title. It really is a feature that should be mandatory for these types of games. While I’m sure this game will have some interesting music, but just like any other game it gets old real fast.

In any case I’m in. Looks like fun…. even if it is a little gross lol.

+ drdre74 on May 12th, 2009 at 10:56 am said:

I love the animation and art style on this. Pretty sweet. will there be a PSP version also or will it work with remote play?

+ Korbei83 on May 12th, 2009 at 10:56 am said:

Well it’s from Toronto. I’m sold. Now’s your chance to repackage a dog turd and tell me it was made in Toronto.

Puzzlers are Remote Play often make a good combination. Any comment?

+ Kris Piotrowski on May 12th, 2009 at 11:00 am said:

You just gave me and idea for a new game…

+ Tailsnakes on May 12th, 2009 at 10:57 am said:

I’ll probably be picking this up just to make sure I support Canadian talent. Good looking out.

+ LiquidMetal14 on May 12th, 2009 at 10:57 am said:

The art direction is great. WHat was your inspiration? I love this kind of 2d HD presentation. The PSN needs games like yours.

And reading your pricing reply, does that mean it will be less than 10? Not that it matters since it already looks really promising.

+ Kris Piotrowski on May 12th, 2009 at 11:07 am said:

Hey hey,
    I was the inspiration art.

Just kidding, most of it just came out of a bunch of concepts we tossed around the studio, but obviously we all love everything kawaii, like San-X, prefecture mascots, etc.

We were also really inspired by the lush environments found in nearly all of the amazing films from Studio Ghibli.

+ TheGuardianFID on May 12th, 2009 at 10:57 am said:

Lol, that was awesome, SOLD on presentation alone!!! :D

+ EvoAnubis on May 12th, 2009 at 10:57 am said:

Welcome to the PlayStation.Blog, Kris! This game looks interesting; can’t wait to try out the demo!

+ Kris Piotrowski on May 12th, 2009 at 11:15 am said:

Thanks for the welcome, EvoAnubis!

+ TheZed88 on May 12th, 2009 at 10:58 am said:

I could swear I’ve seen this before. Is there already a PC or XB version of this. Looks like a game my wife will love.

+ Kris Piotrowski on May 12th, 2009 at 11:11 am said:

Hey Zed,
    It\’s quite possible that you\’ve seen Biggs and company before. Critter Crunch was recently released on iPhone.

+ BlooodyCow on May 12th, 2009 at 10:58 am said:

WTF? LOL
That look gross but fun. You guys will be getting my money when it comes out. I just hope it isn’t more than $10.

+ FoolKiller79 on May 12th, 2009 at 10:58 am said:

My initial reaction was to think it was just another Bejeweled clone, but I see your food chain mechanic adds a new element to the gameplay. It looks like a creative twist. And if you are shooting under $10 then I will most likely get it.

Odds improve with a demo though.

+ Kris Piotrowski on May 12th, 2009 at 11:17 am said:

Well, I can safely say it\’s not a Bejeweled clone:)

I mean, jewels don\’t have cute faces and burst when you feed them other jewels:)

+ DeathGazer on May 12th, 2009 at 10:59 am said:

This loom fantastic!

I’m loving all of these quirky puzzle games coming to PSN. Cuboid, Trash Panic, now Critter Crunch.

+ EvoAnubis on May 12th, 2009 at 10:59 am said:

Oops, forgot my standard questions.

1. Custom Soundtracks?

2. Remote Play?

3. DLC?

Trophies and Online are two standard questions, but you’ve answered those already. Well met.

+ FoolKiller79 on May 12th, 2009 at 11:00 am said:

And I see you responded to another comment, saying you would have a demo. Excellent.

+ devels on May 12th, 2009 at 11:00 am said:

But why, oh why, do the furry little creatures have to explode? Makes me sad when they popped out.. “plock”

+ Kris Piotrowski on May 12th, 2009 at 11:18 am said:

It is, perhaps, the saddest game every made…

People often wonder if games can every make them cry, like films do. The answer is yes.

+ TheZed88 on May 12th, 2009 at 11:02 am said:

Update: Cell Phone! Thats where I’ve seen this before. I played a 10 min free preview of it. Hmmmm….now contemplating buying this for myself :)

+ zombie_56 on May 12th, 2009 at 11:02 am said:

5’99 ill buy looks fun!!

+ mixedkidbx on May 12th, 2009 at 11:03 am said:

ok the start of that video was so cute and funny lol

+ eksMAN on May 12th, 2009 at 11:03 am said:

wow! love the art style

+ PSN_Tokeio on May 12th, 2009 at 11:04 am said:

+ Capt-Fury- on May 12th, 2009 at 11:05 am said:

already loving the art syle and music!

props to the art director :)

+ Shin-Ra on May 12th, 2009 at 11:06 am said:

Looking at your site yesterday I was impressed with the iPhone version artwork so it’s cool to get an even higher res version now.

+ centrinoduo91 on May 12th, 2009 at 11:06 am said:

the design is SEXY. any chance of getting your little critters as PSN avatars, there so cute XD

+ Onna76_NL on May 12th, 2009 at 11:08 am said:

“…… it won’t be 10 bucks.”

More like 15$ :-P J/K

Welcome to the club, the game sure looks interesting and like a lot of fun, can’t wait for the results I’m always in for new, bright ideas on the PSN :-)

I hope the DLC will be minimum as possible, not really a fan of too many DLC per game ;-)

+ Kris Piotrowski on May 12th, 2009 at 11:20 am said:

Yup, it\’ll be under 10 bucks. Sorry for the misleading reply above:(

+ Onna76_NL on May 12th, 2009 at 11:09 am said:

” PSN_Tokeio | May 12th, 2009 at 11:04 am

Ooooo. I have this on iPhone, fun game. Hopefully it’ll be $10, sure buy for me if it is.”

Even better, less *lol*

+ jayyy91 on May 12th, 2009 at 11:09 am said:

I might just get this. I like to support people from my hometown!

btw, How ’bout them Jays this season, eh?

+ MainEv3nt_69 on May 12th, 2009 at 11:10 am said:

woot toronto developers im sold

+ Floub on May 12th, 2009 at 11:11 am said:

Really cool graphics. And a funny trailer! Can’t wait to play it in HD!

+ The_Apprentice on May 12th, 2009 at 11:12 am said:

Hey Kris, I’ll be migrating to Toronto sometime over the next year and I really want to get a job in the video game industry as it is my passion.
How strong would you day the industry is in Toronto? I’ve never really heard about games being made there and the Capy studio has made me wishful :)
Any other advice you can give? Thanks!!
(add me on psn lol)

And I’ll for sure be checking out this title… Got my support!

+ Kris Piotrowski on May 12th, 2009 at 11:24 am said:

Toronto has very few large studio, but the indie scene is really super solid. Games like Everyday Shooter and N+ come from the \”T-dot\”.*

*Btw, I have no idea why people call it T-Dot…

+ Neil on May 12th, 2009 at 11:14 am said:

Question: What’s the name of the critter?

+ Kris Piotrowski on May 12th, 2009 at 11:26 am said:

His name is Biggs. His son, who you can play in Co-Op mode, is named Smalls:)

+ Pinhead_x on May 12th, 2009 at 11:15 am said:

Those backdrops are awesome!
And the sounds are wickedly disgusting.
I’m sold.

+ BlizzleJazzle on May 12th, 2009 at 11:15 am said:

This trailer serves as a poignant reminder of the brutal realities of the animal kingdom. I applaud its frankness, and look forward to any further truths this game may unveil in the future.

+ Kris Piotrowski on May 12th, 2009 at 11:30 am said:

Nature is a cruel mistress and that\’s what we wanted to explore with this game:)

+ StrykerIsland on May 12th, 2009 at 11:15 am said:

Well this is a nice little surprise I wasn’t expecting today. Love the art style, and the sense of humour. Hopefully it’s really over the top on those sorts of things to ensure maximum enjoyment.

+ Anubis80 on May 12th, 2009 at 11:16 am said:

Ok after reading you replies to my comment and its less than $10 I will be getting it for sure. I liked the artwork.

Also trophy support? If not doesnt really matter to me. I am still going to get it.

+ Kris Piotrowski on May 12th, 2009 at 11:38 am said:

Yupper, we have tons of trophies planned.

Trophies like, Cruchicidal Maniac, Wilhelm von Puzzleworth and Feats of Constipation

+ DeLive on May 12th, 2009 at 11:17 am said:

This looks very interesting. Very sharp and crisp graphics. Colorful. The question I have is what separates this puzzle game from the others on the market? Yes, there are many puzzle games out, but if one comes along and changes the way we play, it could make a niche for itself.

+ Kris Piotrowski on May 12th, 2009 at 11:41 am said:

Hey DeLive,
    If I could pick 2 things, I would have to say the sweet graphix and the puzzle mechanic.

It\’s not a match-3 so that automatically makes it different then 50% of all puzzle games ever made:)

+ centrinoduo91 on May 12th, 2009 at 11:17 am said:

i can see the Studio Ghibli inspiration. am i correct?

also, an information for an EU release? a price? in £’s?

+ FearMonkey on May 12th, 2009 at 11:19 am said: