Far Cry 4

Critter Crunch! PlayStation Network! Barf!

Kris Piotrowski's Avatar + Posted by Kris Piotrowski on May 12, 2009 // Creative Director, Capy

Hello, new best friends!

This is Kris. I’m the creative director at Capy, which means I’m by-far the coolest guy at the studio. And Capy is pretty cool, so that’s not just talk. Anyway, who is Capy, right? Well, Capy is an indie studio from the sometimes frozen, other times disgustingly humid Canadian wonderland known as Toronto.

So, um, check this trailer…but only if you’re down with technicolor barf!

Boing! That was me announcing Critter Crunch for PlayStation Network!

Everyone at Capy has been working super-hard creating this crazy little arcade-puzzler (and filling it with humongous doses of love) so we’re very excited to finally announce its existence. Critter Crunch is fueled by an original and award-winning “food chain” puzzle mechanic, which is all about feeding critters into each other until they burst. It’s exactly as cute as it is horrible and sad, just like nature itself!

The game features a bunch of single player modes like adventure & puzzle, as well as online and local multiplayer in versus & co-op flavors, with a plethora of fancy trophies to collect. It also has lots of really pretty 1080p art that should make your HDTV happy.

I hope you like it!

CritterCrunch Single- Player Screen1

If you have any questions, fire away in the comments below and I’ll do my best to answer them…and check back for more PlayStation.Blog updates soon!

-Kris

+ Darkos87 on May 12th, 2009 at 11:21 am said:

how can you make something so cute become so gross?!!!

+ DonnyG on May 12th, 2009 at 11:22 am said:

cool

+ Whitedevil82 on May 12th, 2009 at 11:23 am said:

Looking good, I recall the iphone version being recommended on Xplay. I look forward to playing this for much longer than I thought I would.

Love the main character design by the way.

+ pilzi8 on May 12th, 2009 at 11:23 am said:

That looks pretty nice.Good Job.Will it have Remote Play?I wanna play it at home then go somewhere and continiue playing this cool game.
The idea is wonderful.Will it release at the same time in America,Japan and Europe?I hope so because i cant wait to play this wonderful and cute game.

+ NewYork214 on May 12th, 2009 at 11:24 am said:

hey a fellow polock. your the first polish person i seen in the games biz lol.

+ hoofrog on May 12th, 2009 at 11:25 am said:

Tell me I can use the “rainbow hurl” move and I am in.

+ Ftwrthtx on May 12th, 2009 at 11:26 am said:

Interesting game. If it has remote play, I’d buy it.

+ FacelessShaman on May 12th, 2009 at 11:27 am said:

I already own this on my phone will buy again.

+ imajinetion on May 12th, 2009 at 11:28 am said:

“Nature is gross”

Finally someone says it :D

+ iExile on May 12th, 2009 at 11:28 am said:

LOL oh my god looks like another win for the PlayStation Network! :)

+ HongoXIII on May 12th, 2009 at 11:31 am said:

Wow, this looks great. I’ll be keeping my eye on this one. :)

+ Tikicobra on May 12th, 2009 at 11:33 am said:

It looks super awesome. Can’t wait! :D

+ mailman27 on May 12th, 2009 at 11:34 am said:

Will there be a PSP version? This seems like an addictive game that would be perfect to take on the road.

+ TheInfectedBy590 on May 12th, 2009 at 11:34 am said:

I’m definitely interested in this! We don’t get many cute games with technicolor barf in them! :)

+ improperlyaged on May 12th, 2009 at 11:35 am said:

way off topic but is the psp rockband edition official cuz i just saw it on best buy website???????????

+ thebrocknation on May 12th, 2009 at 11:35 am said:

I’m typically against puzzlers, but “Critter Crunch” has “cute addiction” written all-over-it! Please offer a demo! Also, I recommend more demos for PSN titles.

+ Slipping_halo on May 12th, 2009 at 11:36 am said:

Sweet looking game, so I hear this is a Canadian made game? Gotta support my country, consider this sold!

Please also just a suggestion, throw in custom soundtracks please, if its still not too late!!!!

+ Tikicobra on May 12th, 2009 at 11:36 am said:

Oh, and can I have your avatar? @_@

+ StrykerIsland on May 12th, 2009 at 11:36 am said:

For those asking about a PSP version…. maybe this will have remote play. ;)

+ bdavid81 on May 12th, 2009 at 11:36 am said:

I’ll try the demo to see if I can grasp what has to be done in the game. The video didn’t really help me understand, but it looks intriguing.

+ StalkingSilence on May 12th, 2009 at 11:38 am said:

Love the hand-drawn 1080p 60fps good-ness. And looks to have a strong engine on the backend. Don’t quite understand the gameplay, but it’s purdy!

+ joostin on May 12th, 2009 at 11:39 am said:

Come on Kris, T-Dot = Tha T.O. (Tha Tee-Dot-OHhhh) haha.

Shout out from Vancity on the west coast ya heard!

jk…I listen to more rap than I should I guess… Looks interesting. I’ll give it a try.

+ StalkingSilence on May 12th, 2009 at 11:40 am said:

The guys over at PlayStationLifeStyle.net have been saying this game’s going to be great.

+ Ravidrath on May 12th, 2009 at 11:41 am said:

I think I met Kris at the 1Up GDC party/podcast thing, but I remember Nathan better, so I’m going to have to say he’s cooler.

Also: this game is pretty awesome on the iPhone, and the PSN version looks like a huge upgrade – really excited for it. :D

Kris Piotrowski's Avatar

+ Kris Piotrowski on May 12th, 2009 at 11:56 am said:

Whatever, I am way cooler than Nathan! And that 1up party was one of the highlights of my GDC experience.

I\’m talking about you, Mathew Kumar..

+ xaos on May 12th, 2009 at 11:47 am said:

A delectable cross of grossout and adorable; it kind of reminds me of the hypercute gore of Fat Princess…

+ Viprdude on May 12th, 2009 at 11:48 am said:

My PS3 is dead. Any help?

+ kdiep on May 12th, 2009 at 11:49 am said:

Hahahah maybe you should’ve just called the big guy Biggie and you got Biggie Smalls.

Anyway it’s one of the first quirky games that appeals to me. Great job. Don’t really know what the heck is going on but it reminds me of that bust-a-move game or puzzle fighter. Looks really cool. I might just get this if the price is right.

+ Sneeches on May 12th, 2009 at 11:52 am said:

Kris
1. I’m canadian and love toronto, where about’s is your studio?

2. Will this have trophies? (i’m assuming yes)

3. Price lower or 10$ INSTANT BUY FOR ME!!!

4. Awesome video and love the art style, you guys did a good job, keep it up :)

+ Thrasher20 on May 12th, 2009 at 11:59 am said:

Hahahaha awkward game but looks pretty fun, kind of a pick up and play game ;)

+ evildude683 on May 12th, 2009 at 12:01 pm said:

Finally something better than nobi nobi boy!!!!!!!!!!
I would love to get it!!

SOLD!!!

+ lowhonor on May 12th, 2009 at 12:03 pm said:

looks cute, but doesnt look worth purchasing at all

+ westendmatt on May 12th, 2009 at 12:04 pm said:

Any chance of a studio tour? I’m in T.O.
psn: westendmatt

+ improperlyaged on May 12th, 2009 at 12:06 pm said:

clarification! i meant a rockband themed psp bundle…………….

+ improperlyaged on May 12th, 2009 at 12:06 pm said:

the rockband psp bundle is listed on bestbuy for 199.99 but no date is set

+ MaceWisdom on May 12th, 2009 at 12:08 pm said:

Sold!
Love the colors/animations!

+ GGCAN on May 12th, 2009 at 12:08 pm said:

Hey Kris…game looks pretty good !

BTW….I’m from Toronto as well and yep we do have our share of cold in the winter and then hot and humid in the summer.

+ wyshad on May 12th, 2009 at 12:09 pm said:

Wow, that looks soo freakin’ awesome, I hope it’s released soon. really beautiful too

+ katsuo7171 on May 12th, 2009 at 12:10 pm said:

Hey Kris I have one question. Besides the Upscaled graphics and trophies What makes this game different than the Iphone version of it. New Critters?

BTW I loved the Iphone version.

Kris Piotrowski's Avatar

+ Kris Piotrowski on May 12th, 2009 at 12:25 pm said:

Hey katsuo,
    CC PSN has a ton of new critters and new power-ups but the main difference is the addition of online and local multiplayer versus modes and a super crazy insane co-op mode. Oh and leaderboards for everyone to compare their critter crunching skills.

Plus you get to finally use a d-pad:)

+ xaos on May 12th, 2009 at 12:13 pm said:

After a second viewing of that trailer, I feel like I need to add a Heathers quote:”I brought you to a Remington party and what’s my thanks? It’s on a hallway carpet. I got paid in puke.”

“Lick it up, baby. Lick. It. Up.”

+ klubjunkee on May 12th, 2009 at 12:15 pm said:

Indie PSN releases are day one purchases for me. Especially since it’s another interesting game coming from a studio based in my home town :) Sony knows how to pick’em!

Love the art style and game-play looks like a different take on Magical drop which I spent hours on at the arcade.

Can’t wait. Wish you all the best with the launch so we can see future projects from Capy.

1080P FTW!

Kris Piotrowski's Avatar

+ Kris Piotrowski on May 12th, 2009 at 12:26 pm said:

Well thank you very much! I am blushing.

+ Edd on May 12th, 2009 at 12:16 pm said:

This game looks awesome i really love the art, it looks like you’re playing some crazy anime lol; I can see the resemblance to studio Ghibli’s work (which i love). This is definitely a first day buy for me cute, cuddly, beautiful yet gross, sad, and slightly disturbing all at the same time! The idea is very original too, which is always a plus, and the gameplay looks addicting, hope to see some more work from you guys, by the way welcome to the blog. :)

+ Luillin on May 12th, 2009 at 12:17 pm said:

Looks cute xD!

+ Kren420 on May 12th, 2009 at 12:20 pm said:

never heard of this before but i was delightfully amused by the trailer and your article, and I am always down for supporting independent developers, especially from my homeland.

+ stephen2005 on May 12th, 2009 at 12:26 pm said:

Looks really fun. Also looks like one of those addicting game that could keep me playing for hours on end.

Why must you do this to me? lol

And if it’s under $10, I can pretty much guarantee you’ll be getting my money. Looks like an awesome value with the online, co-op, and all those goodies.

Quick question. Do you know if this will support Home in any way? Game launching or something like that?

My sister recently got heavily addicted to Home and she asks me almost every day about updates. And I’m pretty sure she would love a game with cute little animals that has barfing as their main goal.

+ devels on May 12th, 2009 at 12:26 pm said:

Not so related question… Is Biggs Now available as a PSN avatar? Got my Lemming for too long now.

Oh but wait, what exactly do you mean by “Feats of Constipation”? Biggs explosive dia…erm..ria move?

Kris Piotrowski's Avatar

+ Kris Piotrowski on May 12th, 2009 at 12:30 pm said:

hey hey,
    Biggs is not available yet, but soooon. As for the other question… hmmmmmm

+ dehumanizer_666 on May 12th, 2009 at 12:26 pm said:

Oh god….. I LOVE IT! Buying it the minuite its released.

+ Zezzler on May 12th, 2009 at 12:29 pm said:

Looks GREAT!
I love that indie developers (especially ones from Toronto) are making great looking games for great consoles (PS3)
Remote play?
1080p?
trophies?
in-game video? screenshots?
anything else interesting?

+ asop89 on May 12th, 2009 at 12:30 pm said:

I just have one thing to say & its: W00T!!!

I had this game for my mobile phone & it’s very addicting & awesome & cute & other stuff I don’t remember. Thanks for the news.

+ nbnt on May 12th, 2009 at 12:34 pm said:

this looks nice :)

I hope you guys keep making a new games on consoles :D

+ Trieloth on May 12th, 2009 at 12:38 pm said: