Farpoint

May 19

May 19

Fat Princess Dev Diary: Ah, For the Love of Cake

Deborah Mars's Avatar Posted by Managing Producer, SCEA Santa Monica Studio

Hey Everyone,

This is Deb Mars, Managing Producer at SCEA Santa Monica Studio. Some of you may know me from spreading all that PixelJunk love around this here blog space. But I’m here now to introduce you to a brand new PSN title that we’re pleased as punch…well, really…pleased as cake to talk about Fat Princess.

Some of you may have seen this video already in the Theater in HOME between May 7 and May 14. There was a small mention of it in this post about HOME updates. We put up the video in HOME first as an exclusive for you eager souls looking to get a bigger, better, badder glimpse of our dear Fat Princess in all its glory.

The video is an in-depth look at the creation and inspiration behind Fat Princess, told through interviews with Craig Leigh from developer Titan Studios, and little ‘ole me and Matt Morton. We talk about how the concept for the game came about, the distinctive and charming art style, and loads more including some of the hilarious and irreverent stuff you’ll find in the game.

The video is coming to the PlayStation Store this Thursday in all its big, fat, sweet, awesome HD glory for you to download and watch over and over.

Look for more information about Fat Princess in the coming weeks. We’ll be at E3 showing off the game, so stay tuned for more info soon!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2

XgargunoX said:

May 19th, 2:13 pm

2 (preferably 4) player split screen online would be awesome…please tell titan to think about it unless it’s already on there. im still buying this game ASAP no matter what. thanx for the great game

JuanDHexen said:

May 19th, 2:29 pm

Looks fantastic I will get it day one to support you guys/girls.

ADR143 said:

May 19th, 2:36 pm

need to know when and how much this game will be

Berae said:

May 19th, 3:14 pm

this game is gonna be awesome!

Ztnepres said:

May 19th, 3:39 pm

PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE add co op in some way. co op multiplayer on line or something. and trophies of course.

Deborah Mars's Avatar

Deborah Mars said:

May 19th, 3:48 pm

I have a strong feeling your wishes will be granted.

BlazednSleepy said:

May 19th, 4:50 pm

The game looks amazing!
Are you guys going to smooth out the frame rate? it seems to have tearing issues.

nixice said:

May 19th, 5:42 pm

Nice, I was wondering if you guys would add in a no-blood code. Lets the designers have it both ways. I absolutely love the violence and think it ties everything together to have a quaint setting and cute characters but then a twisted, un-PC goal and a gruesome combat system. Even though to me it’s very necessary to have that sick side, however, the fact that anybody can enjoy the game (so long as they’re OK with the big-gal joke) is all the better.

Deborah Mars's Avatar

Matt Morton said:

May 19th, 5:59 pm

There are options in the menu to turn off the blood and gore, so you can have your cake and eat it too!

(So sorry… i couldn\’t pass that one up!)

OnslaughtCometh said:

May 19th, 6:27 pm

What’s in place instead of a party system sounds a lot like Warhawk. That’s the main reason I stopped playing Warhawk. Hopefully a party system is implemented before launch. If not, I might have to pass this up and I was looking forward to it. In my opinion, blood should have been left out. The aesthetics are ruined by blood.

Poopookakabumbum said:

May 19th, 6:54 pm

Ah, for the love of physical discs.

I’ll buy this game when it comes on one.

mhsmith0 said:

May 19th, 7:43 pm

I am REALLY looking forward to this game, prob. day 1 buy for me. I know that you guys aren’t telling the release date yet, but is there any chance we’ll get a pre-release demo to tool around with, and if so any idea when that would be out?

SA-BORDERCONTROL said:

May 19th, 8:57 pm

looks like a great game…wonder how much it is???

SolduNuts said:

May 19th, 9:42 pm

I have been excited for this game since I first saw it in action. Please Please have lots of maps. I also hope that their is an easier way to game with your peeps on your friends list. Some games of Sony’s are lacking this simple feature cough Killzone cough. Thank you again and look forward to spilling some blood on the battlefield and help carrying back a fat princess.

alaM0000 said:

May 19th, 11:25 pm

SWEET ASS GAME CAN’T WAIT =D

YoungHustla561 said:

May 19th, 11:27 pm

Ok I like the fact that you are considering putting splitscreen in the game. There arn’t too many multiplayer games on the ps3 that you can play with your friends. I’ll pick this one up if it ever gets patch with splitscreen multiplayer. If not it’ll be another pass from me… Oh and custom xmb soundtracks always a plus for psn titles!

ThanatosDMC said:

May 20th, 12:41 am

I WANT THIS GAME SO BAD!!! Castle siege! I’m so sold! I saw the archers defending the gate! DROOLZ!!

Dawg743 said:

May 20th, 12:55 am

Is there any chance more beta code will be sent out or open beta in the future? I can’t wait for this game!

CinderShadow said:

May 20th, 1:48 am

This game is looking so lovely, but I have one, small request at this time: Like you, I think the art style is wonderful, so, PLEASE consider releasing a theme/wallpaper, or two featuring it, on the PS Store? :)

Ivan_Krazy said:

May 20th, 1:54 am

Yeah I am in the Closed Beta phase 3 and I have to admit one game takes forever to complete. I mean I like the concept of the game but it MAY not be a purchase from me unfortunately :(
Thanks for applying me in the closed beta in the long run though, I will continue to provide feedback and bugs! :)

nechrist_pl said:

May 20th, 5:01 am

hi, my first comment here, especially for Fat Princess.

1) i’d love the gore-fest, but an option(!) for turning the blood off is also ok.
2) split screen mode would be SO MUCH MORE FUN, that not including it into final product is really dissapointing.
3) it is a day 1 purchase for me, but the earlier demo would be appreciated.
4) summer release is ok. i just can’t wait to get my hands on it (yeah, since the first trailer watched ;)).
5) i hope for party system and trophies support.
6) i hope for simultaneously release in Europe and the rest of the world (or it could be earlier in Europe – that’s also a good option for me :P)
6) thank you for making it :)

regards

DTXSFC said:

May 20th, 8:44 am

I was able to check out Fat Princess at GDC 2009 and all I can say is bring on the cake!

pianoman6954 said:

May 20th, 8:15 pm

I have to admit that my PS3 has collected some dust while I have been working on some of my own projects. It is nice to see some original PS3 DLC content. When is SCEA going to listen its users though. I have literally dissected the PS3 structure for structure and and see awesome potential but SCEA ignores a lot of areas of obvious improvement. The custom soundtrack idea has been a XBOX staple since day one and what do we get in our 20 minute update installs? We get little video clips in the media player. Letting us use PPC versions of Linux is cool to but unnecessary when you simply unchain some of the hardware (bluetooth Obex file push anyone?). Then there is development, there is quite a few people out there that are literally drooling to experiment with the Cell BE’s great parallel processing capabilities myself included. Valve may be too lazy (greedy) to embark on heavily threaded code but not everyone else is.

jishgavesh said:

May 20th, 8:52 pm

Can you guys make Fat Princess split-screen online so that my brother and i can play together. If its to late can you make an add-on later
:) PLZ! (:

lovswr said:

May 21st, 6:59 am

Day One purchase, which leaves only one question…

When is this coming out? :)

Summer is so deliciously vague. (pun intended)

omgCRAZY said:

May 21st, 10:24 pm

I was wondering how stats would be tracked and if players left mid game would their scores still count or not?

God_Like170 said:

May 23rd, 5:56 pm

Wow, this game looks absolutely amazing. I love everything you have done with it. To make this game perfect, in my opinion, letting you play your music from your ps3 while playing. (Most of the games do not have that unfortunately)And the final add-on to make this game perfect is split-screen or how LittleBigPlanet perfected its camera view with multiple people on same screen. I guess what I am trying to say is add enough for at least 2 people to be playing split-screen or LittleBigPlanet style online/offline. Anyway awesome looking game can’t wait, and I would buy it even if it were $40. (though hopefully not.) Hehe.

GhillieGuy93 said:

May 24th, 11:13 am

hey there, i am really excited for the game, and i can only hope i can afford it. i was pretty annoyed bout not gettin in the beta :(

(any chance of a code? :P)

but im interested in whether or not the game will have many, big updates (such as split screen etc.)?

destroyix said:

May 25th, 12:10 pm

When does this game come out!!!!!!!!!! i cant wait :)

mhsmith0 said:

May 26th, 12:36 am

ign had Sept 30 on their game info page. If that’s correct, that would be horrible. Four months between beta and release for a PSN game is crazy, especially since most public beta reviews seem to indicate it’s pretty well functional.

commoncraft said:

May 30th, 10:24 am

Looks awesome! I can’t wait to play. The art style is really cool too. And Deb is HAWT!

justinjohnson69 said:

May 30th, 4:25 pm

this game looks awesome but i was wondering is do you have an official release date?

jjack0310 said:

May 31st, 8:07 pm

this is probably my most anticipated PSN title to date

MarcAttack said:

June 3rd, 1:06 pm

Really nice! I’ve seen it for the first time today and I must say that I’m really impress. Can’t wait now :P Remind me of some DOTA gameplay, wich I totally love. Release date plz :(

that_emo_kid said:

June 6th, 9:40 am

Whats with no realease date? At E3 they announced the new psp version of it and gave a new trailer, but still no date. Is this going to get delayed again

otherwisek said:

June 6th, 5:57 pm

PLEASE HAVE SPLIT-SCREEN!!!!!!!!!!
I miss split screen games!!!
This game would be awesome to have 4 player split screen!!!

mhsmith0 said:

June 6th, 9:11 pm

they said “late june”, but nothing else. Hopefully it’s more like june 15th or so rather than june 30th.

Tapewormz said:

June 10th, 4:45 am

This game looks like TONNS of FUN! No pun intended, ah who am I kidding…PUN INTENDED!

spektacular01 said:

June 15th, 1:06 pm

Release date, pwetty pweeease?!

anderson55889 said:

June 15th, 9:12 pm

Fat Princess is already looking good and I
think it has alot of potential. I create games off of gamemaker with my hand drawn sprites and look forward to becoming a game designer, what advice would you give to a future game designer

p.s I WANT THIS GAME

Dirty_Dave said:

June 16th, 4:19 pm

FOR THE LOVE OF CAKE I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN
CAN I PURCHASE THIS FREAKING GAME?!?!?!

Seriously though, this is driving me nuts. Every day I waste hours searching the web for any leaks or rumors about when I will finally get to force feed cake to a cartoon princess. I have been waiting for this game FOREVER and I just want to know WHEN!

LightningBlade18 said:

June 18th, 1:25 am

Please consider offline multiplayer spiltscreen as an update in the future. PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!

PAGE 1 2