LittleBigPlanet 3

Killzone 2 “Flash and Thunder” Pack Arriving on June 11

TJ Consunji's Avatar + Posted by TJ Consunji on May 20, 2009 // Product Marketing Manager

Killzone 2 fans!

As we hinted way back at GDC, the next Killzone 2 DLC goes “retro” with the release of the “Flash and Thunder” pack arriving after E3. Here’s a sneak peek as to what you can expect.

Guerrilla Games takes us back on a nostalgic journey with fan favorites from the first Killzone: Beach Head and Southern Hills. Both levels have been completely re-envisioned with the Killzone 2 engine and technology.

In Beach Head, the Helghast land on the sandy Vektan beaches forcing the ISA to defend their stronghold. Torrential rain and gale-force winds batter the landscape, with the water-filled craters supplying only limited cover. This harsh terrain requires you to keep your “head on a swivel” as enemies lurk around every corner.

Killzone 2 - Beach Head

Southern Hills takes the battle to a central Helghast base camp located on a hilltop. This version has been beefed up considerably over the original Killzone counterpart, with smaller structures offering plenty of hiding places that lend itself well to close quarters combat and long range sniping. Take cover when you hear alarms going off, as there might be a radioactive surprise headed your way.

Killzone 2 - Southern Hills

This pack will be available on the PlayStation Network on June 11th for $5.99. Also, a new Killzone 2 patch is coming next week, so stay tuned to the Blog for more details.

137 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Craazy on May 20th, 2009 at 2:30 pm said:

Sounds cool cant wait

+ TheGuardianFID on May 20th, 2009 at 2:32 pm said:

I saw the video of this earlier and it looks freaking awesome, do I even have to say it, SOLD!!! :P:D

+ ADR143 on May 20th, 2009 at 2:32 pm said:

love beach head!!!! cant w8 to play it on jun 11!

is this the big DLC there talking about?

i dont think so since they said they need ppl to test it

+ Tr3p1dat10n on May 20th, 2009 at 2:32 pm said:

Sweet, can’t wait. Are all the KZ1 maps coming back?

Vekta Slums was my favorite, would be awesome to play it on PS3 in a fast paced Search and Retrieve and such.

+ locos85 on May 20th, 2009 at 2:32 pm said:

Where is Socom DLC?????

+ StargamerX on May 20th, 2009 at 2:33 pm said:

$12 for 4 maps? :/

+ jase619 on May 20th, 2009 at 2:33 pm said:

Why do you only do 2 at a time?
I want Core Shaft! Best map ever!

And, seems this is Retro, will any of the modes return from KZ1? eg…Supply drop?

Supply Drop on Core Shaft was the ****!

Also, Jeff, you need to make the login process faster…I would have been first :(

+ LukaX23 on May 20th, 2009 at 2:39 pm said:

Is there going to be a bundle for these map packs?

+ usjvc on May 20th, 2009 at 2:39 pm said:

$5.99 for DLC pack 1
$5.99 for DLC pack 2
——————–

$11 for 4 maps.

Should i spend 11 bucks on four useless maps that bring nothing new to the game, or buy team fortress 2 with constant free monthly updates? I’m choosing TF2.

Each pack should be sold at $2.99. Both packs combined into one should be sold at $4.99, and i am generous.

5.99 for 2 maps..i’d rather pay for a Playstation Network game. Fact is this is how purchase Noby Noby Boy!

Stop with the ridiculous outrageous price tags. We want to support you GG for the outstanding work, but i sure will not unless you stop exaggerating with the price tags. You want my $$$? Drop the price.
Dramatically.

+ Dice_for_Death_ on May 20th, 2009 at 2:40 pm said:

Looking nice. Can we expect to see more retro maps DLC in the future? Granted, KZ1 didn’t have very many locales, per se, but one area that stood out was that shopping complex. And, on that note, maybe a multiplayer-friendly version of that labyrinthine sewer level from KZ: Liberation?

In any case, news of more DLC is always pleasing.

+ DeathroW22 on May 20th, 2009 at 2:40 pm said:

They look amazing, but why havn’t you posted up the trailer that is on eurogamer on here?

But yeah, like i said – they look stunning. Can’t wait ;)

+ S3NTRY93 on May 20th, 2009 at 2:41 pm said:

PLEASE consider making this free.. I can’t see myself paying more than 5 bucks for another map pack. I’ll have to get this from a friend or something if it’s around 8 bucks again. The last map pack should have been free or 5 dollars, these two maps look way better than those, but its coming later so im not sure if it will be worth the buy:play time ratio at this point.

Still, keep pumping content out for those fans still playing.

+ LukaX23 on May 20th, 2009 at 2:41 pm said:

These, being the previous map pack along with this one.

+ Tikicobra on May 20th, 2009 at 2:42 pm said:

$6 is really steep for 2 maps. I loved Steel and Titanium, but I’m not going to keep paying so much for so little.

+ LukaX23 on May 20th, 2009 at 2:43 pm said:

@ usjvc

You might want to get a calculator out.

+ persiandude on May 20th, 2009 at 2:43 pm said:

5.99 for two maps again seriously doesnt make sense at all R2 Map pack = 3 maps = 4.99 KZ2 Map packs = 2 maps = 5.99 really doesnt make sense is Sony just trying to get greedy.

+ IceRat23 on May 20th, 2009 at 2:46 pm said:

pass @ $5.99

+ McKeyDee on May 20th, 2009 at 2:46 pm said:

I really hope you guys do a bundle for those who haven’t picked up the first map pack. You should make it $10 for the bundle of the T&S and F&T packs.

I really hope to see some more vibrant maps in the future. Hopefully some fighting in Vektan forests.

+ Alex_Assassin_08 on May 20th, 2009 at 2:47 pm said:

All good.

+ BigPoppaB on May 20th, 2009 at 2:47 pm said:

release a 9.99 bundle of both packs and i’ll buy.

COD and most other games sell 4 packs/$10 so its fair. Please… i really wanna get these map packs, but i have principles/standards.

So yeah… sell it in a bundle DAY ONE… not 2 weeks/month later

Do it. You know you wanna.

+ skynidas on May 20th, 2009 at 2:48 pm said:

Great, I like this…any new trophies planned for this DLC Pack?

+ Frankie09 on May 20th, 2009 at 2:49 pm said:

2 More Maps??!! I’m sold! Can’t wait

+ Rapoza on May 20th, 2009 at 2:50 pm said:

higher quality product more money, dont wannit dont buy

+ JKar275 on May 20th, 2009 at 2:53 pm said:

Thanks for this great news, GG! I’m definitely buying it.

Can we get a new multiplayer modes with
Exo-Skeletons and vehicles, please?

+ headwing45 on May 20th, 2009 at 2:53 pm said:

I’ll buy it! Looks really good. I only briefly played multiplayer in Killzone 1 and I did enjoy some maps so I’ll probably enjoy these two if they really are the best.

TRICO FTW!

+ marvel83 on May 20th, 2009 at 2:56 pm said:

New Maps again? I hope these maps are Tactician Friendly.

On the Side note note I have an idea for a new mode that should be added to KZ2, is they a place where I can pitch the idea?

+ XxBigP123xX on May 20th, 2009 at 2:59 pm said:

Why would you make fans pay for map remakes from Killzone 1?

+ Tezasaurus on May 20th, 2009 at 3:01 pm said:

This pricing makes no sense compared to other FPS’s map pack prices.

+ MadmanEU on May 20th, 2009 at 3:04 pm said:

Hopefully this means more trophies, and not simply “Be a medic on map X”.

+ Aggie_CEO on May 20th, 2009 at 3:06 pm said:

Dear Lord another $6??? I support you guys but NEXT Batch of maps I think I’d rather Wait 4 months and get 4 Maps for $9.99….at your current Rate KZ2 will cost more than LBP with all its DLC

at Any Rate the Nuke going off every 5 minutes is going to be HILARIOUS!!!!

You guys should really add better Camera control to the spectating cameras so we can make some crazy youtube videos….lol

+ evildude683 on May 20th, 2009 at 3:06 pm said:

great,I hope is as good as the last one!!!

+ mywhitenoise on May 20th, 2009 at 3:06 pm said:

Not paying for 2 more maps that look like everything else in the game. Give me a Forrest and Snow level…something with color, and I’ll pay.

+ joostin on May 20th, 2009 at 3:07 pm said:

@9 Difference is KZ2 is a true PS3 title and these map packs are huge. A new TF2 pack is like 20 MB…These are close to a GB. Both are great games, but KZ2 owns all other shooters to date. You can still play without the addon packs.

+ shaksnet on May 20th, 2009 at 3:08 pm said:

:( :( :(

I really really really want to play this and the previous Killzone 2 DLC… too bad Sony doesn’t have pre-paid Playtstation Network cards for Europe. I don’t have an international credit card to buy this. Although i obviously do have $6.00 and some more for whatever Guerilla Games releases, which is expected, as usual, to be utmost amazing and quality!

PLEASE Sony, provide Europe, with pre-paid PSN cards!

+ demonsgalore on May 20th, 2009 at 3:09 pm said:

NOW IS OUR TIIIMMMEEE!!! this game is just amazing. ill hope u use the money 4 dlcs deliberated!

bad english ^^…

+ P-Noozi on May 20th, 2009 at 3:09 pm said:

SOCOM: Confrontation, a game which came out several months before Killzone 2, still has zero DLC, while Killzone 2 has gotten two DLC packs.

Thanks for giving SOCOM the attention it needs, Sony!

+ evildude683 on May 20th, 2009 at 3:11 pm said:

aggie_CEO
I see you all the time posting trash on the “joystick” website…
Not here man, just quit being such a shnook!!

If u get like that for paying $6 bucks, u should probably stop smoking u r black n milds.

+ mywhitenoise on May 20th, 2009 at 3:11 pm said:

@35, blame Slant 6 for making a crappy SOCOM game and for not supporting it…it has nothing to do with Sony supporting it.

+ wasim007 on May 20th, 2009 at 3:12 pm said:

looks awesome

people stop whining . Xbox 360 fans pay 50$ for lame LIVE and peer to peer servers
KZ2 is the best fps out there. 5.99 is definitely reasonable since it is an awesome fps

+ KillerBread on May 20th, 2009 at 3:13 pm said:

its called free content it would get people playing killzone2

+ Thrasher20 on May 20th, 2009 at 3:15 pm said:

KILLZONE 2 = The MAN’s FPS! LMFAO just had to say that :) I am so in love with this game, I been playing multiplayer a lot recently. It’s a good idea to wait on the DLC so I can have more options to choose from :D

+ cell989 on May 20th, 2009 at 3:15 pm said:

I definitely like this method of DLC small packs fed to us in a constant stream. The price is right and it expands the game even further. Now how about the next DLC pack contains the MECH we got to use in the campaign, imagine 8vs8 mech fights, ahh the possibilities…………..

+ Mero-Geru-Soildo on May 20th, 2009 at 3:20 pm said:

Hey GG, the pics are set to private. :( .
will pick this up soon, but my Trey just died..

+ crunchmonkey on May 20th, 2009 at 3:29 pm said:

Will this map pack include Trophies like the last one did? I hope it does…

+ SyphonFilter- on May 20th, 2009 at 3:30 pm said:

Nice i loved beach head on KZ 1.

+ KazeEternal on May 20th, 2009 at 3:31 pm said:

If I wasn’t so burned out after getting in the top 1% (I REALLY HATE THAT TROPHY) I would be excited, but now I can’t even look at the game without disgust.

It’s looking good from the limited pictures we have so far. Any new skins to go along with that pack? Say maybe characters or Uniforms that were in the original KZ?

+ C1U7CH_P4ND4 on May 20th, 2009 at 3:41 pm said:

This comes out the day my exams finish!!! Thanks GG for my present

+ zombie_56 on May 20th, 2009 at 3:41 pm said:

one thing i liked from killzone1 was all the weapons secondary fires i’d love to pay 3’99 on the psn store for that anyone agree?

+ phinnv8 on May 20th, 2009 at 3:42 pm said:

Those screenshots are incredible looking. Too bad the controls are so bad in the game I’m gonna trade mine in for inFamous or Uncharted 2 soon.

+ acmilanboy on May 20th, 2009 at 3:43 pm said:

Damn, I use US PS Store, but I have the Hong Kong version of the game. Does anyone know if I can use my bro’s US credit Card on a Hong Kong Store?

PAGE 1 2 3