PS4-Watch_Dogs

Monster Hunter Demo Live Today on PSN!

Shawn Baxter's Avatar + Posted by Shawn Baxter on May 21, 2009 // Capcom

Monster Hunter PSP Scroll Art

You’ve already heard about Monster Hunter coming to the west as Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. If you’re new to the vast world of Monster Hunter, we’ve got some great new things to help you better understand what this game really has to offer.

First, the official demo will be live today (once the PlayStation Store is updated – keep an eye on the PlayStation.Blog) and loaded with brand new monsters. There’s three quests to choose from: Hypnocatrice, Plum Hermitaur, and an Epic Hunting Quest with three monsters to slay. Aside from new monsters, there’s also pre-made characters for each weapon type to choose from. Great Sword, Long Sword, Sword, Dual Blades, Hammer, Hunting Horn, Lance, Gun Lance, Light Bowgun, Heavy Bowgun, and Bow… They’re all there. We’ve crammed as much into the demo as we could. You’ll be hunting in the forest, the desert, and in the swamp.

Monster Hunter just wouldn’t be the same without co-op, so the demo is fully capable of four player ad-hoc co-op! The demo isn’t going to just leave you to fend for yourself if you aren’t playing ad-hoc. If you play single player, you’ll have your choice to bring one of three Felyne Fighters with you. There’s Kota a Melee Fighter, and then there’s Ginger a Bomber, and finally Melody a Support type.

Now that you have a chance to finally hop into MHFU, we have a brand new set of videos coming to teach you some basics about hunting. Check out the first video right here!

There will be 3 more tutorial videos to come soon. You’ll be able to snag these videos online via the PSN so you can take the tips they offer with you on your PSP. In all, there’s going to be nine videos total for you to grab on PSN before the game launches.

And finally, we have one more tool to help you start your hunt: The Encyclopedia Gigantica. It’s focused on the community, and gathering all the knowledge from fans like you in a wiki style. Right now there’s not much in it, and the tools to add information about the in depth details of Monster Hunter will be coming around the E3 timeframe. Once that’s available, you’ll find much information about the world of Monster Hunter, including everything from the basics all the way to pro tips from other hunters who’ve contributed their own experience. Check it out right here!

And remember, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite hits shelves on June 23rd!

Good hunting!

+ JuanDHexen on May 21st, 2009 at 2:04 pm said:

Very nice, I dying to see what all of the fuzz is about since Japan can get enough of it.So I really hope I like it=)

+ Gamer_Matt27 on May 21st, 2009 at 2:05 pm said:

I never thought I’d see the words, ” Monster Hunter Demo on PSN” until Monster Hunter 3 came out for PS3. Oh wait…

+ Stoopidfool on May 21st, 2009 at 2:05 pm said:

so is this game that good?

+ Sekoku on May 21st, 2009 at 2:07 pm said:

Tried to get into MHF1 saw that the “meat cooking” mini-game was sound-based and you had to press X at an EXACT MOMENT to get “well-done meat” quit because I couldn’t hear it.

Tried MHF2, saw the same gimmick was being used there, quit in seconds.

If Unite’s demo has the same gimmick count me out. I’ll stick to the grand-daddy series that your clone is copying. PSO.

AKA: You/Capcom need to consider some people play without sound and having sound-based mechanics your PSO clone is pretty damn stupid. I’m not saying cater to us all the damn time, but at least throw us a bone/make it more forgiving to get into it. Well-done meat shouldn’t require a split-second fraction-of-a-second-oh-you-see-it’s-golden-mash-x-too-bad-you-have-burned-it! timing.

+ Shawn Baxter on May 21st, 2009 at 2:31 pm said:

I like PSO too. Good game.

But as far as the meat cooking, I just want to point out that it\’s not a required task. I\’m surprised you got hung up on that. In fact, there\’s plenty of ways to increase stamina with out cooking your own well-done steaks. Like taking it to the Felyne kitchen, or having a friend trade you one, or heck, even just using an energy drink or mega juice.

Besides, the timing shouldn\’t have been that difficult for you, since it\’s not all sound based. In fact, there\’s a color change to the meat when it\’s done, and you have a pretty decent amount of time to hit the X button. I know because I play with the sound off since it\’ll drive my wife nuts while she\’s watching her reality shows. =/

+ depward on May 21st, 2009 at 2:08 pm said:

@Shawn Baxter – thanks very much sir!

+ growking on May 21st, 2009 at 2:09 pm said:

update the store for god sakes

+ depward on May 21st, 2009 at 2:09 pm said:

@54 seriously? That’s such an inconsequential piece of the overall game. You could even take your raw meet to your felynes and have them BBQ for you, skipping that altogether.

So refusing to play the game because of that = fail :)

+ dulcediana on May 21st, 2009 at 2:10 pm said:

no MH for PS3… gonna be the worst decision

+ Mr_Kuwabara on May 21st, 2009 at 2:13 pm said:

Woot I cant wait for the full version but Capcom, please, why do you have to butcher the names!

Hypocatrice sounds yucky, why not just leave it as Hypnoc? Same goes for Nargacuga. Oh my why not just call it Naruga?

/rant over

+ Shawn Baxter on May 21st, 2009 at 2:22 pm said:

The Monster Hunter team in Japan comes up with the english names. And most of the time you\’ll shorten the names of the monsters anyways when playing, like los, ian, etc. It really shouldn\’t matter since we\’ll all end up abbreviating the new monsters\’ names anyways.

Just saying.

+ Enigma777 on May 21st, 2009 at 2:14 pm said:

Please, PLEASE bring Ad-Hoc Party to the US!!! This game is just begging for it!!!

+ BlooodyCow on May 21st, 2009 at 2:14 pm said:

I am just curious. What was going through your mind mind when you were post this blog? People only want one monster hunter demo on the PSN and that is a Monster Hunter game for the PS3. I know I would have been ashame to post knowing we cancel the PS3 version of Monster Hunter 3.

+ Capt-Fury- on May 21st, 2009 at 2:17 pm said:

We need Ad-Hoc party in the US

+ spunnups on May 21st, 2009 at 2:27 pm said:

That looked really cool. I’ve never played a MH game before, but I gotta try this demo.

P.S.

Please bring MH3 to PS3!!!!

+ Nagash_MalKaVian on May 21st, 2009 at 2:29 pm said:

good news.. but… when an HD version for PS3? :D

untill then, I’ll play this one on psp >_>

+ BukDaN-E on May 21st, 2009 at 2:30 pm said:

dang i remember the monster hunter for ps2 and it was a really good game i still have it too.

will MHFU psp be able to play online if u connect it with the ps3?

i havnt played any of the psp monster hunters so this would be refreshing.

+ Shawn Baxter on May 21st, 2009 at 2:34 pm said:

You can play it through the PS3 online if you have the Japanese Ad-Hoc Party Beta. It\’s super easy, and perfect for Monster Hunter. Even supports both text and voice chat.

+ BurntOrange32 on May 21st, 2009 at 2:34 pm said:

Can’t wait to try out the demo for monster hunter, well… after I play inFamous. Currently waiting for the inFamous demo to finish downloading….

+ strikepantsu on May 21st, 2009 at 2:35 pm said:

I’ve been playing MHP2G (Even bought the limited edition bundle with the bronze MH PSP) since the Japanese release. Now that this is getting a state side release is there any other reason for me to grab a copy, aside from being a huge fan and wanting to show Capcom some support? Will there be changes to the game (other than the new names *ugh*). I’ve already preordered MHFU but I’d still like to know if there’ll be anything new. Also why does EU get a MHFU bundle? I kinda want an excuse to get a PSP-3000.

+ Shawn Baxter on May 21st, 2009 at 2:39 pm said:

I can think of a big reason… playing it ALL in English, French, Spanish, German, or Italian.

+ katsuo7171 on May 21st, 2009 at 2:37 pm said:

I’m having a psychic vision. A munster hunter entertainment pack to be released alongside the PSP2 at E3. PLEASE!! I haven’t bought a PSP yet but this game makes me want one alongside GOW chains of olympus. I will definitely buy one with the PSP2 MH entertainment pack.

+ Kaorobean on May 21st, 2009 at 2:37 pm said:

So, uh, wouldn’t this be a good time to release the Adhoc Party application in the US Store?

Sometimes I wonder about you, Sony.

+ LokeSTL on May 21st, 2009 at 2:39 pm said:

Add trophies to BCR please.

*runs for the hills*

+ Shawn Baxter on May 21st, 2009 at 2:42 pm said:

Hmm… That\’s a really good idea… I\’ll fight for this for you!

+ Tikicobra on May 21st, 2009 at 2:40 pm said:

Awesome news. I’ve never played Monster Hunter but it always intrigued me.

+ Shawn Baxter on May 21st, 2009 at 2:44 pm said:

Well, if you want to me to run your ears off about it, hit me up on PSN (Snow_Infernus). It\’s always good to have someone do a little crash course with Monster Hunter, since it\’s a pretty deep game.

Don\’t let that scare you though, despite being a pretty in depth game, it\’s oozing with awesome sauce.

+ PullusPardusUS on May 21st, 2009 at 2:46 pm said:

This is going to be bad if Sony doesnt release Ad-Hoc Party…
you guys know how online is important in the west.

+ BukDaN-E on May 21st, 2009 at 2:49 pm said:

thanks for the info, ill try it out sometime!

hopefully sony would release the ad-hoc party beta in the US huh?

+ gheart008 on May 21st, 2009 at 2:49 pm said:

I’m a little confused. I watched the video, but all those scenes were from Freedom 2…

+ Shawn Baxter on May 21st, 2009 at 2:55 pm said:

Actually, it\’s still Unite. Unite includes most of the stuff (not all of it though) from Freedom 2. In fact, even some from Freedom 1. But basically, Unite is the biggest, most complete Monster Hunter you can on the PSP.

+ supercoolmanchu on May 21st, 2009 at 2:50 pm said:

Finally the ultimate version of a pretty sweet game is coming westwards and a good reason to stock up my PSP games library :-)
Don’t even remember the last time, I bought a PSP game…
Will there be a nice collector’s edition?

+ Shawn Baxter on May 21st, 2009 at 2:57 pm said:

No, but if you\’re in Europe there is a sweet PSP bundle coming. (Which I\’ll be importing for myself, btw)

+ Shawn Baxter on May 21st, 2009 at 3:10 pm said:

No, since the demo doesn\’t work like that. The demo is straight up pre-made characters. So there\’s really no progress to be made.

Besides, this demo shows off G Rank quests. So once you get the full game you won\’t actually see the demo quests until at least HR7.

+ strikepantsu on May 21st, 2009 at 2:54 pm said:

@ gheart008:

The monsters shown are from freedom 2 but the Feylne helper and a majority of the weapons shown are from Unite. The gunlance at 0:29 is one of my favorite weapons.

Shawn: Will we be able to import our saves from Freeom 2 to Unite? Will it be the same as transfering from Portable 2 to P2G?

+ Shawn Baxter on May 21st, 2009 at 2:56 pm said:

Oh totally. I actually got a build not too long ago, and I was even able to import my Freedom 2 save into it then. So to answer; Yes, your Freedom 2 save can be imported.

+ Jenovah on May 21st, 2009 at 2:56 pm said:

Awesome looking forward to seeing why this game is a MONSTER hit in Japan…..Er, No pun intended :P

+ matahtak on May 21st, 2009 at 3:01 pm said:

I’ve never played a Monster Hunter game before. I would if it was on PS3 though… in a heart beat… looks like a really fun game. How cool would it be to hunt for monsters in HD with your PSN friends? Hahaha

+ Capt-Fury- on May 21st, 2009 at 3:04 pm said:

hey Shawn, can we import our demo progress to the final copy?

+ Shawn Baxter on May 21st, 2009 at 3:11 pm said:

No, since the demo doesn’t work like that. The demo is straight up pre-made characters. So there’s really no progress to be made.
    Besides, this demo shows off G Rank quests. So once you get the full game you won’t actually see the demo quests until at least HR7.

+ jipmg on May 21st, 2009 at 3:06 pm said:

OMFG!!

IVE BEEN HYPING THIS GAME TO HELL, I AM SO HAPPY THANK YOU!

+ Watchmann on May 21st, 2009 at 3:06 pm said:

Very nice surprise. While Monster Hunter has always looked appealing, I’ve never bothered with it as I’ve got the notion that the game is at it’s best in coop. I’m still not understanding this lack of support for infrastructure. Is this a technical issue, because I’ve noticed that many games are releasing now without infrastructure, but including ad hoc. If it’s not that, then is it merely a lack of interest in supporting servers?

I will be downloading the demo at least, regardless.

+ ScRaBBiT on May 21st, 2009 at 3:08 pm said:

I love Monster Hunter. It’s great to see Capcom trying to push this in the west. Any word on ad-hoc party for the U.S.? I could have sworn I heard awhile back it was going to release here with either PSO or MHFU.

+ Zezzler on May 21st, 2009 at 3:10 pm said:

What time does the PSN Store update? i want to try this ASAP!

+ SalvadorRuizJr on May 21st, 2009 at 3:14 pm said:

Will save file from Monster Hunter Freedom 2 transfer over or do we need to start over?

+ Shawn Baxter on May 21st, 2009 at 3:15 pm said:

The save will transfer from Freedom 2, yes.

+ Berae on May 21st, 2009 at 3:24 pm said:

I cant understand all the hype related to this game, i mean i bought monster hunter 2 and it was so boring, i guess it was not my kind of game

+ justin456789 on May 21st, 2009 at 3:24 pm said:

I’m just wondering can we uploaded our Freedom 2 save file or this demo save file to Freedom Unite? If not that ok I still buy Freedom Unite anyway.

+ Shawn Baxter on May 21st, 2009 at 3:34 pm said:

Yes for the full game! No for the demo, since the demo is pre-made characters.

+ BigAnt18 on May 21st, 2009 at 3:25 pm said:

I have inFamous and Cross Edge preordered, I can’t wait to get them! I hope they both come on Tuesday instead of Tuesday and Wednesday because the UPS guy is here to often lol. I kinda wish Cross Edge got some more press though, everyone I mentioned it to had no idea it was coming out. O_o

+ RurouniSaiya-jin on May 21st, 2009 at 3:28 pm said:

Pretty Cool. A demo could help me decide on whether to get it or not. I’m still on the fence because I’ll have nobody to play with. I hope Ad Hoc Party comes over to NA

+ texasdisciple74 on May 21st, 2009 at 3:35 pm said:

well what time does the playstation store get updated????? i want infamous demo

+ Tenjin on May 21st, 2009 at 3:37 pm said:

Hello Sony, please release AdHoc-Party in english language =)

!!!!!!

+ GothPunk on May 21st, 2009 at 3:39 pm said:

Hi Shawn, any chance the demo will be coming to the EU PSN?

+ Shawn Baxter on May 21st, 2009 at 3:41 pm said:

It will be, but I don\’t know what Europe\’s timing is on that. Sorry.

+ cepwin on May 21st, 2009 at 3:40 pm said:

So what is the estimated time that the store will be updated?? I’m looking to download several demos when it is so I’m curious.
Thanks!

+ texasdisciple74 on May 21st, 2009 at 3:40 pm said:

what time does playstation store update this is killin me

+ SolduNuts on May 21st, 2009 at 3:41 pm said:

This game looks sweet, some how I have missed out on playing Monster Hunter up until this point and I must say this game will not pass me up this time. I am wondering if this game will come on UMD and/or download through the PSN?

Thank you Capcom for your continued support of everything Playstation.

+ Shuanji on May 21st, 2009 at 3:42 pm said:

yeah,pls sony .. give us Ad-Hoc Party in English !!!! we use it allready in Japanese …
in english it is more komfortable

+ AKGermany on May 21st, 2009 at 3:46 pm said:

What’s the best place to start if I want to check out this franchise?
Is this new one as good a game as any or should I check out one of the predecessors as a starting point?

+ texasdisciple74 on May 21st, 2009 at 3:46 pm said:

someone got 2 know when the store gets updated

+ jgstyle00 on May 21st, 2009 at 3:47 pm said:

Well at least you guys are getting a LITTLE earlier with these posts. Still, the Thursday update post should be posted FIRST thing in the morning.

It should be the first thing I see in my RSS reader when I get up in the morning. Come on guys, you can do it…

+ Tenjin on May 21st, 2009 at 3:50 pm said:

@AKGermany:
Take Unite for your first Game, or Take Monster Hunter Freedom 2, you can take over your character.

If you are German, come visit mhfu.siteboard.eu :)

And please Sony, give us AdHoc Party in english =)

+ texasdisciple74 on May 21st, 2009 at 3:52 pm said:

come on ppl answer me … what time does the psn store update!!!!!!!!!!!!!