Street Fighter V

May 21

Monster Hunter Demo Live Today on PSN!

Shawn Baxter's Avatar Posted by Shawn Baxter on May 21, 2009 // Capcom

Monster Hunter PSP Scroll Art

You’ve already heard about Monster Hunter coming to the west as Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. If you’re new to the vast world of Monster Hunter, we’ve got some great new things to help you better understand what this game really has to offer.

First, the official demo will be live today (once the PlayStation Store is updated – keep an eye on the PlayStation.Blog) and loaded with brand new monsters. There’s three quests to choose from: Hypnocatrice, Plum Hermitaur, and an Epic Hunting Quest with three monsters to slay. Aside from new monsters, there’s also pre-made characters for each weapon type to choose from. Great Sword, Long Sword, Sword, Dual Blades, Hammer, Hunting Horn, Lance, Gun Lance, Light Bowgun, Heavy Bowgun, and Bow… They’re all there. We’ve crammed as much into the demo as we could. You’ll be hunting in the forest, the desert, and in the swamp.

Monster Hunter just wouldn’t be the same without co-op, so the demo is fully capable of four player ad-hoc co-op! The demo isn’t going to just leave you to fend for yourself if you aren’t playing ad-hoc. If you play single player, you’ll have your choice to bring one of three Felyne Fighters with you. There’s Kota a Melee Fighter, and then there’s Ginger a Bomber, and finally Melody a Support type.

Now that you have a chance to finally hop into MHFU, we have a brand new set of videos coming to teach you some basics about hunting. Check out the first video right here!

There will be 3 more tutorial videos to come soon. You’ll be able to snag these videos online via the PSN so you can take the tips they offer with you on your PSP. In all, there’s going to be nine videos total for you to grab on PSN before the game launches.

And finally, we have one more tool to help you start your hunt: The Encyclopedia Gigantica. It’s focused on the community, and gathering all the knowledge from fans like you in a wiki style. Right now there’s not much in it, and the tools to add information about the in depth details of Monster Hunter will be coming around the E3 timeframe. Once that’s available, you’ll find much information about the world of Monster Hunter, including everything from the basics all the way to pro tips from other hunters who’ve contributed their own experience. Check it out right here!

And remember, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite hits shelves on June 23rd!

Good hunting!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ HongoXIII on May 21st, 2009 at 1:40 pm said:

I’ve been waiting for this demo! Now get a Monster Hunter in the works for PS3.

+ Jack-Bauer-89 on May 21st, 2009 at 1:41 pm said:

Will the MH game be any easier?

Iv totally sucked at the others and often got badly owned,

Shawn Baxter's Avatar

+ Shawn Baxter on May 21st, 2009 at 1:54 pm said:

There\’s definitely a steep curve at the beginning, but it\’s very rewarding if you stick with it for the first bits of training. Once you get the experience, it\’s really an amazing game. And I say this as a fan, since I was playing Monster Hunter way before I started working at Capcom.

+ Moosehole on May 21st, 2009 at 1:43 pm said:

Hey thanks I’ve never played a Monster Hunter game before, but I’m interested and will definately try this demo out.

You know, you should really release the full version of this game on the PSN as a digital download… to be honest, I don’t think I would even have to think twice about purchasing it that way.

+ Dehshizknight on May 21st, 2009 at 1:44 pm said:

Sweet. Gonna have to cop this one along with the inFamous demo.

Also, can’t wait to try out the Resistance 2 Home space! I haven’t downloaded it yet but I have a feeling it’s going to be brilliant.

+ Kxpuc on May 21st, 2009 at 1:45 pm said:

yea…but where’s my MH3 for the PS3

+ DonnyG on May 21st, 2009 at 1:46 pm said:

Everyone craps on Capcom for BC but not for this game? What gives?

+ Poacher619 on May 21st, 2009 at 1:47 pm said:

Is Bomberman Ultra coming anytime soon?

+ BlooodyCow on May 21st, 2009 at 1:48 pm said:

@39 DonnyG
I did if you didn’t notice :)

+ typikal82 on May 21st, 2009 at 1:59 pm said:

+ ky13kid on May 21st, 2009 at 2:02 pm said:

Where is the infamous demo they said may 21 its is the 21 and ut is not out? What the point of making a demo if it doesnt come out before the game itself?

+ Pendharker on May 21st, 2009 at 2:02 pm said:

YES!! I’ve been waiting for this one. I’m SOOOOO buying this game when it comes out. I just wish SO VERY MUCH that there was a Monster Hunter for PS3! PLEASE CAPCOM!! MAKE MH FOR PS3!

+ synchronizerman on May 21st, 2009 at 2:03 pm said:

Also put Klonoa: Door to Phantomile on PSN Please? I want it 2000x more than the Wii remake.

+ njbowser on May 21st, 2009 at 2:03 pm said:

A multiplayer game without infrastructure? Hmm… I’ll have to think about this. But the demo looks cool and I can’t wait to try it out.

+ JuanDHexen on May 21st, 2009 at 2:04 pm said:

Very nice, I dying to see what all of the fuzz is about since Japan can get enough of it.So I really hope I like it=)

+ Stoopidfool on May 21st, 2009 at 2:05 pm said:

so is this game that good?

+ FE_RR on May 21st, 2009 at 1:51 pm said:

1 thanks for the demo!!
2off topic: i was looking at the “mac osx dashboard widget” it’s there any chance that sometime release a windows gadget for vista or 7?? of the psb?

+ EmperorKorea on May 21st, 2009 at 1:58 pm said:

why does a game based on multiplayer have no official online mode?

+ depward on May 21st, 2009 at 1:58 pm said:

Anywhere I can get that top image as desktop wallpaper? It’s AWESOME

+ Thrasher20 on May 21st, 2009 at 1:58 pm said:

Hell yeah I’m going to try it out.

Can’t wait for the E3 PSBlog meetup!

+ Gamer_Matt27 on May 21st, 2009 at 2:05 pm said:

I never thought I’d see the words, ” Monster Hunter Demo on PSN” until Monster Hunter 3 came out for PS3. Oh wait…

+ Sekoku on May 21st, 2009 at 2:07 pm said:

Tried to get into MHF1 saw that the “meat cooking” mini-game was sound-based and you had to press X at an EXACT MOMENT to get “well-done meat” quit because I couldn’t hear it.

Tried MHF2, saw the same gimmick was being used there, quit in seconds.

If Unite’s demo has the same gimmick count me out. I’ll stick to the grand-daddy series that your clone is copying. PSO.

AKA: You/Capcom need to consider some people play without sound and having sound-based mechanics your PSO clone is pretty damn stupid. I’m not saying cater to us all the damn time, but at least throw us a bone/make it more forgiving to get into it. Well-done meat shouldn’t require a split-second fraction-of-a-second-oh-you-see-it’s-golden-mash-x-too-bad-you-have-burned-it! timing.

Shawn Baxter's Avatar

+ Shawn Baxter on May 21st, 2009 at 2:31 pm said:

I like PSO too. Good game.

But as far as the meat cooking, I just want to point out that it\’s not a required task. I\’m surprised you got hung up on that. In fact, there\’s plenty of ways to increase stamina with out cooking your own well-done steaks. Like taking it to the Felyne kitchen, or having a friend trade you one, or heck, even just using an energy drink or mega juice.

Besides, the timing shouldn\’t have been that difficult for you, since it\’s not all sound based. In fact, there\’s a color change to the meat when it\’s done, and you have a pretty decent amount of time to hit the X button. I know because I play with the sound off since it\’ll drive my wife nuts while she\’s watching her reality shows. =/

+ spunnups on May 21st, 2009 at 2:27 pm said:

That looked really cool. I’ve never played a MH game before, but I gotta try this demo.

Please bring MH3 to PS3!!!!

+ Nagash_MalKaVian on May 21st, 2009 at 2:29 pm said:

good news.. but… when an HD version for PS3? :D

untill then, I’ll play this one on psp >_>

+ BukDaN-E on May 21st, 2009 at 2:30 pm said:

dang i remember the monster hunter for ps2 and it was a really good game i still have it too.

will MHFU psp be able to play online if u connect it with the ps3?

i havnt played any of the psp monster hunters so this would be refreshing.

Shawn Baxter's Avatar

+ Shawn Baxter on May 21st, 2009 at 2:34 pm said:

You can play it through the PS3 online if you have the Japanese Ad-Hoc Party Beta. It\’s super easy, and perfect for Monster Hunter. Even supports both text and voice chat.

+ BurntOrange32 on May 21st, 2009 at 2:34 pm said:

Can’t wait to try out the demo for monster hunter, well… after I play inFamous. Currently waiting for the inFamous demo to finish downloading….

+ strikepantsu on May 21st, 2009 at 2:35 pm said:

I’ve been playing MHP2G (Even bought the limited edition bundle with the bronze MH PSP) since the Japanese release. Now that this is getting a state side release is there any other reason for me to grab a copy, aside from being a huge fan and wanting to show Capcom some support? Will there be changes to the game (other than the new names *ugh*). I’ve already preordered MHFU but I’d still like to know if there’ll be anything new. Also why does EU get a MHFU bundle? I kinda want an excuse to get a PSP-3000.

Shawn Baxter's Avatar

+ Shawn Baxter on May 21st, 2009 at 2:39 pm said:

I can think of a big reason… playing it ALL in English, French, Spanish, German, or Italian.

+ katsuo7171 on May 21st, 2009 at 2:37 pm said:

I’m having a psychic vision. A munster hunter entertainment pack to be released alongside the PSP2 at E3. PLEASE!! I haven’t bought a PSP yet but this game makes me want one alongside GOW chains of olympus. I will definitely buy one with the PSP2 MH entertainment pack.

+ Kaorobean on May 21st, 2009 at 2:37 pm said:

So, uh, wouldn’t this be a good time to release the Adhoc Party application in the US Store?

Sometimes I wonder about you, Sony.

+ LokeSTL on May 21st, 2009 at 2:39 pm said:

Add trophies to BCR please.

*runs for the hills*

Shawn Baxter's Avatar

+ Shawn Baxter on May 21st, 2009 at 2:42 pm said:

Hmm… That\’s a really good idea… I\’ll fight for this for you!

+ depward on May 21st, 2009 at 2:08 pm said:

@Shawn Baxter – thanks very much sir!

+ growking on May 21st, 2009 at 2:09 pm said:

update the store for god sakes

+ depward on May 21st, 2009 at 2:09 pm said:

@54 seriously? That’s such an inconsequential piece of the overall game. You could even take your raw meet to your felynes and have them BBQ for you, skipping that altogether.

So refusing to play the game because of that = fail :)

+ dulcediana on May 21st, 2009 at 2:10 pm said:

no MH for PS3… gonna be the worst decision

+ Mr_Kuwabara on May 21st, 2009 at 2:13 pm said:

Woot I cant wait for the full version but Capcom, please, why do you have to butcher the names!

Hypocatrice sounds yucky, why not just leave it as Hypnoc? Same goes for Nargacuga. Oh my why not just call it Naruga?

/rant over

Shawn Baxter's Avatar

+ Shawn Baxter on May 21st, 2009 at 2:22 pm said:

The Monster Hunter team in Japan comes up with the english names. And most of the time you\’ll shorten the names of the monsters anyways when playing, like los, ian, etc. It really shouldn\’t matter since we\’ll all end up abbreviating the new monsters\’ names anyways.

Just saying.

+ Enigma777 on May 21st, 2009 at 2:14 pm said:

Please, PLEASE bring Ad-Hoc Party to the US!!! This game is just begging for it!!!

+ BlooodyCow on May 21st, 2009 at 2:14 pm said:

I am just curious. What was going through your mind mind when you were post this blog? People only want one monster hunter demo on the PSN and that is a Monster Hunter game for the PS3. I know I would have been ashame to post knowing we cancel the PS3 version of Monster Hunter 3.

+ Capt-Fury- on May 21st, 2009 at 2:17 pm said: