PS4-The Order

Secret Agent Clank Sneaking Onto PS2 Today

Frank Simon's Avatar + Posted by Frank Simon on May 26, 2009 // Sr. Producer, SCEA

Greetings folks,

Just wanted to let you know to look for Secret Agent Clank on the store shelves beginning today! Sanzaru Games did a fantastic job of bringing this game to the PS2 adding and increasing textures, geometry and just raw numbers of models to make a more beautiful, richer game experience. Characters and the animation for them were rebuilt and augmented.

Secret Agent Clank PS2

Couple this with an all new camera system, customized controls for the DualShock 2 and a whole lot of additional polish and love from the team and you end up with a really great game.

Secret Agent Clank PS2 Secret Agent Clank PS2

You might ask yourself, why bring PSP games to the PS2? The answer we’d tell you is there are a lot of folk out there that are still hungry for content. We believe Secret Agent Clank will deliver this. Sanzaru did a fantastic job of really customizing the experience for the PS2. They went in and rebuilt whole sections of the game in order provide for a deeper richer experience.

Secret Agent Clank PS2

Even with all this change, we kept the fantastic game that High Impact Games put together for the PSP, just now taking advantage of everything the PS2 has to offer.

Secret Agent Clank PS2

We are really lucky at Sony to get to work with top tier developers. This is our first game with Sanzaru, but as you can see from the quality of the screenshots alone, we’re eager to do more!

Secret Agent Clank PS2 Secret Agent Clank PS2

42 Comments

+ remanutd5 on May 26th, 2009 at 6:14 am said:

im going to get it for my 60 gb ps3

+ WindedHero on May 26th, 2009 at 6:14 am said:

sw00t!

+ DragonNutz on May 26th, 2009 at 6:21 am said:

I just read this entry and am now curious how many people that frequent the psblog still only have a PS2.

We should have a poll…

(Choose all that apply)

1) PS2
2) PSP
3) PS3
4) All of the above

+ Ramage on May 26th, 2009 at 6:22 am said:

OK I hate to say this because I’m sure people put some hard work into this but…it looks terrible(strictly visually speaking). I just finished Persona 4 so I’m pretty sure that PS2 games should look better than this. I love me some R&C but something tells me this game should have just remained on the PSP.

A for effort?

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on May 26th, 2009 at 6:27 am said:

Frank, will this game be compatible with the original 80GB PS3? hopefully it will :)

+ DragonNutz on May 26th, 2009 at 6:33 am said:

I agree with Ramage. Maybe (hopefully) it’s just the screenshots themselves, but the quality looks like PSP pics blown up.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on May 26th, 2009 at 6:37 am said:

@#3…its a kool idea..but u missing the two types of ps3′s..as for me..i gots all three..well jus the psp and ps3..but ofcourse its backwards compatible..:p only thing that really sucks is the quality on a hdtv..it would be really kool if they made a cable thats can make the graphics hd..420 atleast..:/

+ Marsz85 on May 26th, 2009 at 6:39 am said:

If I still had a PS2, yeah, I’d get it since I never got it for my PSP but loved the demo.

Unfortunately I have the 40GB PS3 and don’t plan/can’t afford another one at the moment.
Only if it craps out (knock on wood) will I pony up.

I will eventually get this though once that Backwards compatibility firmware drops =D

+ Marsz85 on May 26th, 2009 at 6:40 am said:

Oh yeah, and @3, its a freaking PS2!!! Stop [DELETED] about graphics all the time and enjoy the game! It’s Ratchet and Clank for crying out loud. When has it ever failed?

+ GooDer_gAMe on May 26th, 2009 at 7:18 am said:

Is there anything this game has the PSP version does not? (aside from new controls and better graphics).

+ StalkingSilence on May 26th, 2009 at 7:28 am said:

@3,
I have PS3 and PSP. My PS3 is backward compatible though and plays PS2 games. That said, I haven’t played a PS2 game since I’ve had PS3.

+ zombie9 on May 26th, 2009 at 7:33 am said:

Will it be goint to PSN store also? for PSP and I have all 3 Playstation’s and my BABY 60 gig too so I can play anything.. Might pick it up if it ever goes to PSN. :)

+ Farhad91 on May 26th, 2009 at 7:37 am said:

please tell me it will work with my ps3 60gb
all my sony ps2 games are working on my ps3 exept ratchet and clank 3.
it works alittle then 2 3 hours in games it does not work properly

+ lakaiHIGH on May 26th, 2009 at 7:40 am said:

PS2 needs to be killed off by 2010. 10 years marks a great run but the system is now officially considered a ‘classic’ by me, i look at it much in the same way i look at the NES, SNES and PSone systems. its just soo long ago and i only buy games that really were the greats (gow 1 and 2, SoTC etc) not saying ratchet isnt up there but i have to have funds for inFamous which im about to go pick up!

@3 – i’ve got all three: PSP 2000, PS2 slim and of course my launch 60gig PS3! woot woot.

peace,
Lh

+ NarcMonkey on May 26th, 2009 at 7:50 am said:

@3 All of the above, and I play them all. :D

+ Darkos87 on May 26th, 2009 at 8:02 am said:

I know people put in loads of work in this title, but seriously, stop trying to bring ports from psp to ps2 or vice versa! We need original content on our psps, and the ps2′s support (if there still is) should be focused on good games instead of shoddy ports. Ps2 is still more capable graphically than the wii, so I don’t see why devs don’t make some good games for it.

+ Drake1416 on May 26th, 2009 at 8:06 am said:

@3 PSP My first and only playstation. =P

I really want to get a PS3 though!
But I wish there was more PSP coverage. And not the 400 anime RPG’s coming out for it. =(

Like LBP. Honestly it’s one of the coolest and more exciting announcements for the PSP and there’s no info at all about it! Not even a screen shot or a name. Or even a description! T_T

+ Jeigh on May 26th, 2009 at 8:11 am said:

I’m pretty sure you know what I’m going to say (you were expecting *someone* to say it, and today that’s me): Come on! Would you leave PSP titles alone!? The system doesn’t have a great deal going for it as it is (let’s not kid ourselves)- if you keep undercutting it, it’s going to stay that way.

+ AKGermany on May 26th, 2009 at 8:21 am said:

It’s not undercutting the PSP lineup – it’s not as if they’d pull the PSP version off the market now that there is a PS2 version. Plus the PSP version had most of the sales it’s going to have because the game has been out for a while.
It’s quite good despite a small camera problem here or there, I like it as much as Size Matters.

+ Vengeful-Chaos on May 26th, 2009 at 8:34 am said:

@ 18

Actually it is, when they port PSP games not only do they possibly lose a future PSP game sale but potentially a PSP system sale. Why bother with the PSP when some of the high valued games make it’s way onto the PS2.

+ Tikicobra on May 26th, 2009 at 8:40 am said:

You just stretched the screen to fit a TV.

+ KazeEternal on May 26th, 2009 at 8:51 am said:

@Frank Simon or Jeff
Will this game have 16:9 at 480p?

I play on an HDTV now so both are a must for PS2 titles.

Will it support Dual Analog Sticks?

Will the UMD ever show up on the PS Store?

@3
PSP and PS3, sold the PS2 to get a 60gig PS3 before they vanished forever. For the record I own more PS3 games than most nonBC PS3 owners for the idiot who thought it would sell more games that way.

+ Gunwing on May 26th, 2009 at 9:22 am said:

How about Sony stops porting the PSPs good games over to the PS2/PS3 24/7! Every Ratchet game ever made for the PSP has come to the PS2 and gotten less then satisfactory reviews, or even worse the fans hated them because the graphics looked so crapy.

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on May 26th, 2009 at 9:38 am said:

Very cool. As long as they continue to hold out on giving PSP a second stick, I’ll always lean toward these PS2 ports.

+ AlphaBovine on May 26th, 2009 at 10:14 am said:

The first port of Size Matters did a decent job but essential they recoded it and sized up the art assets. They didn’t redo any textures, addy any edge smoothing, etc. and the audio sounded really bad. High Impact Game is not a bad studio but this was not their best port.

Now we have an even smaller studio porting another PSP title and while I have not played this port I can’t imagine they did any more than High Impact did.

If you are going to port a game and give it tons of love as you say, then just make sure you give it that and not just lip service.

+ sundance418 on May 26th, 2009 at 11:02 am said:

ps2, BCps3

Since I do not own a psp and don’t plan on getting one I would buy this game with all its flaws. And still hoping for a GOW:coo port.

btw:first ever comment

+ Thrasher20 on May 26th, 2009 at 11:40 am said:

Glad to see the PS2 is still kicking arse!

+ alaM0000 on May 26th, 2009 at 11:49 am said:

They are still making CRACK IN TIME RATCHET & CLANK!!!! =P

+ Riokogen on May 26th, 2009 at 1:18 pm said:

You guys are serious aren’t you? *Laughs* Come on, the PS2 can do WAY better than that if that’s what you guys are hoping for. But honetly, this game has already been out for more than a year and you say only now to release it for ps2 because people are hungry for content? Then why just release it when the psp version was released as well. I saw R and C size matters on the ps2 and it looked horrible. The polygons were showing, triangular ships and whatever. Don’t lie to yourselves, you can do better, but you don’t want to.

+ EmperorKorea on May 26th, 2009 at 1:27 pm said:

lol why even buy a PSP. all the games come to the PS2 anyway.

+ GooDer_gAMe on May 26th, 2009 at 2:01 pm said:

@30

Lol, ok then, please let me know when the Loco Roco series, Patapon series, and Crisis Core FF7 come to the PS2. I would love to know. ;)

+ Korlithiel on May 26th, 2009 at 2:20 pm said:

GooDer_gAMe, despite you being right that few PSP games do get ported to the PS2 that doesn’t detract from the image. Especially as it continues to feel like Sony cares more for PS2 owners then PSP owners.

+ Riokogen on May 26th, 2009 at 2:43 pm said:

If this game is so apprently going ot be great, I’ll have to see what Ign has to say. I won’t hold my breath xD

+ DustyBlue on May 26th, 2009 at 2:50 pm said:

I have this and Size Matters for PSP where they originated. PSP version is better because its portable, PS2 version is better because you have all of the Ratchet & Clank game on one platform. So they are both good, I suppose.

@3, yes that would make a great poll. You seeing this, PS Blog people-guys?

+ Azira013 on May 26th, 2009 at 4:13 pm said:

If I get this game, will it play on my 60GB PS3?

+ EPGPX on May 26th, 2009 at 7:25 pm said:

“to make a more beautiful, richer game experience”

So you’re saying it wasn’t beautiful enough on the PSP? Oh, okay. I might as well not buy a PSP this Christmas.

+ appleuy on May 26th, 2009 at 10:23 pm said:

It’s great to see so many interesting,popular,and new games still coming out for the PS2.

+ DragonNutz on May 27th, 2009 at 1:41 am said:

#9… I wasn’t complaining. I like the series but would actually rather play it on my PSP (just considering the screenshots).

#21 is exactly what I was trying to say.

Btw everybody, I didn’t answer my own poll.

I have all the above:

Original 80gb PS3, while not completely BC does play my current library of PS2 games.

PSP 3000

I gave my PS2 slim to my kids.

And I didn’t say anything about PS1 but still have that too.

Feel free to add me on PSN

+ DragonNutz on May 27th, 2009 at 1:43 am said:

Oh, and I have quite a large library of PS2 games, not to mention about 21 PS3 games I’ve gotten just within a year, and haven’t had much of a problem so far with any of them on the 80gb PS3.

+ amystar on May 27th, 2009 at 5:54 am said:

I since getting my PS3 have played very few PS2 games. I have a non backward compatiable PS3 a PS2 and origonal PS1. The only games I used to play were PES and Grand Theft Auto however, since these came out for the PS3 the PS2 has never been on. I would be interested only if the game was released on the PSN and then only at a budget price of say $10 – 15 dollars.

+ ddydydy on May 27th, 2009 at 5:17 pm said:

Cool! Now I can rent it! It looks like a great game, but I haven’t heard a lot of good things about it, so I passed on the PSP version. Now I can at least try it.

+ Erdie on May 30th, 2009 at 1:21 pm said:

@3

Own them all, love them all.