PS4-Watch_Dogs

E3 09 On the Show Floor: Quantum

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jun 04, 2009 // Sr. Social Media Manager

As soon as the show floor opened up at E3 2009, Chris and I made a beeline for the Tecmo booth (well, after a run through of the God of War III demo ;-)

Why Tecmo? Because the team there is working on two games you’ll only play on PLAYSTATION 3. We’ll be talking Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 tomorrow; today we bring you an interview on a game that many readers have been asking about: Quantum.

This 3rd person action-shooter is shaping up to be a very interesting addition to the PS3 software lineup, with a brutal brand of shooting that may well be a first on the console. Take a look at the video (with US Producer Pete Garza) and let us know what you think.

I’m definitely looking to get more time with the game (which is currently around 40% complete), and we also are looking forward to sharing more with you as well.

More from the show floor to come!

86 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ XxDeathDoctorxX on June 4th, 2009 at 3:04 pm said:

jeff this site leak information about a software update during e3 and i figure since today is last day of e3 is their a firmware update coming? and Quantum looks good already

+ ShdwDrake on June 4th, 2009 at 3:07 pm said:

The trailer on PSN looks pretty good. I just hope they improve the art a bit and have local co-op and a horde mode going through the towers.

+ Moosehole on June 4th, 2009 at 3:07 pm said:

Oh great since there’s a post going up now I guess this means we can expect the Store update at around 11EST again…

*sigh*

+ WantAPopsicle on June 4th, 2009 at 3:09 pm said:

Looks like an interesting game

+ ShdwDrake on June 4th, 2009 at 3:11 pm said:

…he said no local coop… do not want. Whats up with Sony games and No local co-op? What Local Co-op games are coming out in the future?

+ EddyxMob on June 4th, 2009 at 3:13 pm said:

Looks neat I may have to check it out

+ Stinkinmushroom on June 4th, 2009 at 3:14 pm said:

This looks really good!

Sony>
Just so you guys know, there is a sync problem on Part 3 of the Conference video on the PS Store … It bugs in the middle of the GOW3 presentation and all the audio is synced out till the end. (maybe it’s only a problem on my console, but i think it’s general)

+ smokey_vols on June 4th, 2009 at 3:15 pm said:

This is our Gears of War. Let’s hope it lives up to that standard.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on June 4th, 2009 at 3:15 pm said:

GREAT ANOTHER GAME WITH NO CO-OP…SERIOUSLY…THIS 2009..THERE IS ENUFF SINGLE PLAY GAMES OUT THERE TO PLAY.I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY GAME DEVELOPERS ARE NOT LOOKING TOWARDS CO-OP.THE SYSTEM IS STRONGER NOW ..CO-OP SHOULD BE A MUST! ESPECIALLY A SHOOTER GAME.BACKUP IS ALWAYS GOOD! AND PLAYING A CAMPAIGN WITH YOUR FRIENDS IS EVEN BETTER! GET IT TOGETHER SONY!..

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on June 4th, 2009 at 3:16 pm said:

Good video,

Jeffrey, did you talk to Namco Bandai about TOV localization? Or to Square Enix about whether or not The Last Remnant is canceled?

+ Korbei83 on June 4th, 2009 at 3:18 pm said:

Looks really good.

+ chriscowboyd on June 4th, 2009 at 3:18 pm said:

Hopefully this game will have custom soundtracks, game launching, portable and implantable cover, human shields, movable environmental cover, and some kind of platforming ability in single player and online multiplayer. The trowing of the lady sounds nice, but another platforming ability would help as well such as a grappling hook.

+ katsuo7171 on June 4th, 2009 at 3:20 pm said:

@9 Get a new keyboard/ hit Cpas Lock/ let go of Shift

Anyways, this game looks freaking amazing. We just now need a Mass Effect Spin off for the PS3 those are really the only two games I wanted from the X Gears and Mass Effect. lol Now I don’t have a reason to buy a box anymore. GJ Temco really looking forward to it. I feel my wallet getting lighter every day. :(

+ infamousXX87XX on June 4th, 2009 at 3:21 pm said:

I will buy this thats for sure

+ Shy_Guy92 on June 4th, 2009 at 3:21 pm said:

@9
you know Sony has nothing to do with the development of the game?
Jeez I hate when people complain to Sony about a game that theyre not even developing or publishing

+ Tr3p1dat10n on June 4th, 2009 at 3:21 pm said:

@7, I had the problem, as did someone else. I can’t stand out of sync audio :(

+ WU-Tang4Ever on June 4th, 2009 at 3:23 pm said:

wait no split screen play?! C’mon!

+ Mero-Geru-Soildo on June 4th, 2009 at 3:24 pm said:

GeoW clone for win! hopefully youse gaize have a better multiplayer netcode than it.

+ dam6655 on June 4th, 2009 at 3:24 pm said:

Great interview Jeff.I become more interested in this game the more I see and hear about it.

+ Trey630 on June 4th, 2009 at 3:25 pm said:

I had my eye on this game since TGS 08 and it looks good. looking forward for more information in the future

+ TerryVSL on June 4th, 2009 at 3:25 pm said:

“This is our Gears of War.”

No, there’s our Kill.switch dimwit.

“Let’s hope it lives up to that standard.”

What ‘standard’?

A broken, lagfest?

Laughable outdated Unreal Engine graphics?

+ Shy_Guy92 on June 4th, 2009 at 3:25 pm said:

and This game looks awesome!!!!!
Might be dispointed a lil by no coop but its not a game killer!
but I’ll still get it because its looks awesome!

+ Letters2Kay on June 4th, 2009 at 3:29 pm said:

Looks delicious. Can I assume each character is available in co-op mode (and hopefully in single player, as well)?

+ Letters2Kay on June 4th, 2009 at 3:31 pm said:

@ Moosehole

“…I guess this means we can expect the Store update at around 11EST again… *sigh*”

We’re getting 3 updates in 3 days and you’re going to complain about having to wait a bit? Really!?

+ mckg123456789 on June 4th, 2009 at 3:31 pm said:

looks awesome! ill be sure to check this one out!

+ norm01 on June 4th, 2009 at 3:35 pm said:

I’m probably in the minority here, but I seriously don’t care to buy or play a Gears of War clone, which let’s all be honest, this looks like. Does this use the Unreal Engine as well? Because it looks like it does… sorry, my game snobbiness is showing. :P

+ Irishmandkg on June 4th, 2009 at 3:37 pm said:

Firmware update soon?

+ waypoetic on June 4th, 2009 at 3:37 pm said:

Please, just shut down this project. This game is embarassing. What’s up with the Gears Of War ripoff! Either shut it down or make it multiplatform. This is not a good exclusive.

+ ShdwDrake on June 4th, 2009 at 3:40 pm said:

To all you mofos number 9 is right… You say its “our Gears of War” but and intgral part of what makes Gears the game it is is the co-op.

The only exclusive games I own with 4 player co-op are Little Big Planet and Resistance!

Sony need to secure games with co-op (Looking forward to Lost Planet 2).

+ Letters2Kay on June 4th, 2009 at 3:40 pm said:

@ me

“Can I assume each character is available in co-op mode (and hopefully in single player, as well)?”

Sorry, didn’t watch the video before I posted. I’m actually glad there’s no co-op, I’d rather have a single-player focus, personally. Looks like you’ll still be able to take control of the female warrior at times, though- which is what I was looking forward to, anyway. Stoked.

@ Everyone calling it a “Gears clone,” remember that Gears was a RE4 “clone” to begin with. The character design is a little more Gears that RE, but CliffyB doesn’t have a trademark on beefy, hunky videogame heroes.

+ Airwalkinman17 on June 4th, 2009 at 3:44 pm said:

I’m on the same boat as “ShdwDrake”
This looks like one hell of a bad ass game, but why is there no offline co-op? Games that have this mode usually sell really well (hello! halo and gears of war). I mean, this game looks really good, but I would pre-order TODAY if it had the off line 2 player split-screen mode.

But anyways, still looks good though. thanks tecmo!

+ raptor210232 on June 4th, 2009 at 3:44 pm said:

This looks like a amped up version of gears of war. Game modes they need to put in CTF, Asassintation(like killzone 2), conquest(capture the areas on the map and gain points), TDM,and Rage mode(where a bunch of those aliens come at you in various of corners all around you and defeat all of the 100 waves). Nice preview you did there.

+ GameFace_06 on June 4th, 2009 at 3:44 pm said:

Quantum of war!!!!!this game looks GOOD!!

+ RurouniSaiya-jin on June 4th, 2009 at 3:48 pm said:

Good job securing this interview Jeff! It was a good one.

+ Insyt on June 4th, 2009 at 3:49 pm said:

i’m not interested in co-op at all…who really cares about co-op/split screen on games like these, they’re meant to be enjoyed in full screen…yup…

Pc,
Syt

+ spunnups on June 4th, 2009 at 3:52 pm said:

Looks decent, you can tell it needs a lot of work. To me, it quick paced gears game. I hope the weapons are more creative when the game arrives.

+ rbanke on June 4th, 2009 at 3:59 pm said:

Excuse my ignorance, I havnt followed this title. Quantum = Quantum Theory?

+ Shy_Guy92 on June 4th, 2009 at 4:00 pm said:

@37
yes you are correct

+ Buddyleej on June 4th, 2009 at 4:03 pm said:

Yeah the graphics have really picked up since I last seen this. We need more 3rd party exclusives for sure.

+ Nisrock on June 4th, 2009 at 4:05 pm said:

It looks really good. The trailer was very impressive. I kinda hope they put in some form of coop, though. Guess you can’t have everything. Probably a day one purchase for me, regardless. :)

+ ThEosSiE on June 4th, 2009 at 4:05 pm said:

Str-8 HOT-ness… I’m all over this game… can not wait..

+ RGS-14 on June 4th, 2009 at 4:06 pm said:

Soul Caliber + Gears of War = Quantum

But they really need to add Split screen Co-op

+ Nisrock on June 4th, 2009 at 4:11 pm said:

@42

Nah. The female protagonist’s (DELETED) aren’t nearly big enough for this game to be a mashup with Soul Caliber.

+ emiru69 on June 4th, 2009 at 4:11 pm said:

It looks pretty cool. I agree with “Insyt” I dont care that much about co-op/split screen. Full screen rules.

+ ShdwDrake on June 4th, 2009 at 4:17 pm said:

I love my games with a full screen too, but I have friends that I love to sit around and play games with.

And it’s looking more and more like I have to get a different system if I want to do that.

+ Caemgen on June 4th, 2009 at 4:18 pm said:

Looks alright.

NEEDS MORE GORE THOUGH.

Making a kill doesn’t really look satisfying right now.

+ sam_i_jam on June 4th, 2009 at 4:19 pm said:

Honestly, I know it looks similar to Gears in ways, but that’s certainly not a bad thing.

Consider this game officially on my radar. This preview impressed.

+ SyphonFilter- on June 4th, 2009 at 4:23 pm said:

Looks nice. Early 2010 is too packed,gow 3 on march,heavy rain and this game around then too. Hopefully it’s spread nicely so each game can have good sales.

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on June 4th, 2009 at 4:25 pm said:

Looks pretty awesome.

+ GGCAN on June 4th, 2009 at 4:25 pm said:

Hey people, just found some interesting news on the Sony site for the PSP.

Here are some details:

go to the Sony site…click on PSP, then under Key features there’s an item called PSP is Going.

It mentions how a camera can be connected as well as about a GPS system.

Here’s what I saw there:

Go!Cam
Using the Camera, which attaches via the High Speed USB connector, Go!Cam turns your PSP into a video and stills camera. With a 4GB Memory Stick PRO Duo inserted in your PSP, you can record over two hours of video footage, instantly being able to play back the action on the PSP system’s screen.

Go!Explore
Go!Explore incorporates a GPS receiver attachment for PSP and a software UMD featuring your chosen maps. A collaboration with market leaders TeleAtlas and NavNGo, Go!Explore offers the very latest in map data and navigation software, including 3D Maps of major cities.

PAGE 1 2