PlayStation VR

Jun 16

Jun 16

Meet Nathan Drake: Uncharted 2’s Nolan North

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Sr. Social Media Manager

It’s very unusual to meet someone you feel like you already know. I got that chance a couple of weeks ago, when I ran into Nolan North at the PlayStation Booth during the final hours of E3. If the name’s not familiar (or his face), perhaps his voice will – North is the talent behind the witty remarks of Uncharted‘s Nathan Drake.

Now North is a bit of a talker, but if you’ve got a few minutes, he’s got some interesting insights on the role of actual acting in video games, and how Naughty Dog gets such great results out of their voiceover stars for the Uncharted series.

Next up: An interview with the ladies of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

Add Your Own

station3fever said:

June 16th, 7:24 pm

If hearing this guy talk gave me goose bumps, i can’t wait to see the interview with the ladies :)

D-Squad3 said:

June 16th, 7:26 pm

lol nice to see the cast, I have a lot of respect for them too.

commedieu said:

June 16th, 7:28 pm

Bravo jeff.

this was an amazing interview. you’re going to break into the big time surely.. Moments like these are really amazing for the blog.

That was a serious in depth look into what goes on behind gaming, and it really brings the world just that much closer to film..

WHERE IS THE ElENA lOVE?!?!?!

That hussy sat on his lap! i can already tell im going to hate chloe!!!!

commedieu said:

June 16th, 7:30 pm

Wait thats Aeryn Sun?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! zomg… step aside Elena, sorry :(

Blkant said:

June 16th, 7:34 pm

If there was a movie of Uncharted, it has to be Nolan, I seriously wouldn’t watch a movie of it with anyone else as Nathan.

Axecution said:

June 16th, 7:34 pm

lol. Best interview yet. Shouldn’t have cut those few minutes, but oh well. >.>

Jeff, you’re awesome. The end. xD

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

June 16th, 9:11 pm

Haha, thanks, really all I did was listen and get him to keep talking.

magpie4life said:

June 16th, 7:34 pm

Hey Jeff,

nice video interview, I don’t even mind the length of it.

Are you and the other guys in the blog site planning to upload some behind the scenes of your video shoot or even reels of footage that you have cut out.

Thanks and keep them coming!!

Tommy-Cronin said:

June 16th, 7:38 pm

Here Jeff, Who do you think should play?

IronChefWong said:

June 16th, 7:40 pm

Great interview. I can’t wait for tomorrows interview Jeff.

Tommy-Cronin said:

June 16th, 7:41 pm

Sorry, Who do you think should play Nathan Drake in a movie?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

June 16th, 9:12 pm

Oh, I don\’t know. I\’m just looking forward to playing the whole game of Uncharted 2!

Capt-Fury- said:

June 16th, 7:44 pm

nobody minded the length Jeff! hopefully, tomorrow videos are long too.

blindrocket said:

June 16th, 7:54 pm

Nolan North is amazing as Drake, but so are the rest of the cast and their characters. I fell in love with the trio: Drake, Elena, and Sully.

Naughty Dog really has something special going with Uncharted and I hope they continue their high standard.

It’s also really neat that RenĂ© Auberjonois will be performing in the sequel.

Good stuff!

nokedimyo said:

June 16th, 8:00 pm

It’s features like this that make the PS Blog so great!

remanutd5 said:

June 16th, 8:03 pm

Great interview Jeff , i hope there are more like it coming soon , now that we have seen the man behind Nathan’s character , i really wanna see the whole cast Elena, Sully and the new characters as well but the one that im dying to see is the man behind Kratos , make it happen Jeff , and please tell ND to add Character interviews on the Collector’s Edtion of the game , we know its coming lol

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

June 16th, 9:13 pm

Ooh, the voice of Kratos. Now *there* is an idea!

CrimsonFox13 said:

June 16th, 8:11 pm

I love the cast of Uncharted 2. You can tell the amount of heart and soul that goes into making Uncharted!

TNTbkNY said:

June 16th, 8:11 pm

Jeff wat does your shirt say!?!

Midgetguy said:

June 16th, 8:18 pm

Nolan North is now officially one of those top people I’d like to meet! He seems so cool! lol

Seriously though, he has, in a sense, become Nathan Drake!

Thank you so much Jeff for this awesome interview!!!!

(Can’t wait for the other interview!)

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

June 16th, 9:13 pm

He really was a cool guy. I totally did the fanboy thing before the interview.

OmegaArchetype said:

June 16th, 8:26 pm

That was an awesome video, and yes Attention Span FTW!

I have to say I think either him (Nolan North,) or like others have said Nathan Fillion would fit the role perfectly.

Anyways, can’t wait for UC2!

mahunoy said:

June 16th, 8:28 pm

Cool interview. I can’t wait for the next one. Good job Professor Playstation.

P.S. Do you have any more of those trophy shirt? :D

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

June 16th, 9:14 pm

I\’ll have to check, might be 2 or 3 left. But how would we give them out?

MidnightBlues said:

June 16th, 8:29 pm

Hi where do I send glitched ive found in home beta?

acmilanboy said:

June 16th, 8:30 pm

He was also great for Prince of Persia

Enigma777 said:

June 16th, 8:37 pm

Nolan north is by far my favorite voice actor… there’s just something that he brings to the character that makes em feel alive. Really appreciate the interview Jeff!!!

allstar2812 said:

June 16th, 8:39 pm

Sweet great interview keep em comin

ADR143 said:

June 16th, 8:43 pm

nice interview

Blkant said:

June 16th, 8:55 pm

Also that should be a prize on the blog here! Some sort of autographed Uncharted goody.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

Jeff Rubenstein said:

June 16th, 9:15 pm

Naughty Dog has given out autographed Uncharted schwag at 2 or 3 of our meetups – you should make sure to attend when you can!!

Blkant said:

June 16th, 9:17 pm

@74-Jeff reply

I would love to but you guys have only come to Orlando once and lets face it, pretty much no conventions etc.. are ever headed here that would get you guys out here :(

– Orlando is quite dull…

gibration said:

June 16th, 9:32 pm

The Uncharted voice actors are awesome.
Great interview Jeff.

DangerDanceBoy said:

June 16th, 9:35 pm

Great video.

Also, for the movie, if Nolan North is unavailable, Nathan Fillion would be perfect.

gold5225 said:

June 16th, 9:53 pm

That was an amazing interview, Thanks Jeff!

I love when you bring us these high quality interviews from people we want to see and the people that help make PlayStation and PlayStation 3 games Phenomenal.
Thats Why I love Sony and PlayStation you guys never cease to bring us non stop amazing games.

ThanatosDMC said:

June 16th, 10:10 pm

HAHAHAH! That’s so Nathan Drake! HAHAHAH! Even though he didnt know what to say with the interview… just him talking is awesome!

MassaBR said:

June 16th, 10:20 pm

Great interview Jeff!

And Nolan North should play Drake! It just wouldn’t feel right with anyone else.

ThanatosDMC said:

June 16th, 10:21 pm

Nolan North should be Nathan Drake if there ever is a movie. He’s got the voice of awesomeness!

SELIFU said:

June 16th, 10:53 pm

Great interview. The cast does seem to get along quite well.

Paznos said:

June 16th, 10:54 pm

I agree with the people who are saying Nolan should play Nathan Drake if there’s a Uncharted: The Movie…. Nolan is a actor first, voice actor second.

MegadethAndy said:

June 16th, 11:25 pm

Loved the interview. Uncharted wouldnt have been the same if it wasnt for those actors.

emiru69 said:

June 16th, 11:41 pm

He seems like a real professional. They should make a game with the Nathan’s Drake’s voice, Kratos voice and Solid Snake’s voice. I would not care about the script I would buy it for sure! ^_^

pinkoboe said:

June 16th, 11:54 pm

Good stuff!

AntDaGamer said:

June 16th, 11:57 pm

Wow I really love this IP. Good Video and everything I’m thinking about going out and buying Uncharted. I rented through gamefly originally but I’m buying 2 so I need 1 for my collection.

Nosajk said:

June 17th, 12:08 am

Thanx Jeff I wanted to knew who play Drake’s voice, and have to say Nolan North YOU ARE THE BEST, u really know how to bring a character to life! keep up the good work u got my full support! BTW those ppl there were Clohe and Elena’s voice actresses? they really look like the real characters from the game!!! O.o

monkeypirate said:

June 17th, 12:19 am

It’s great to see the actors behind the voice behind the character.

I think Nathan Fillion would make a great Drake. In firefly, Malcolm acts just like Nathan.

B1indCyde said:

June 17th, 12:25 am

I just want to add to the last question in the interview about who should play Nathan Drake if they ever made a movie.

Without a doubt, David Boreanaz is my first pick. If any of you have watched “Bones” and his character Seeley Booth, I can’t help but hear and picture Nathan. He has the same playful mannerisms and quips, yet also the toughness and seriousness when the situation requires it. He even has a close resemblance.

My second choice would be Justin Bartha, who’s been in “National Treasure” 1 & 2, and most recently “The Hangover.” Definitely could pull off the look, and his treasure hunting experience is a plus.

What do you guys think?

B1indCyde said:

June 17th, 12:29 am

Compare the pics above to this one of Drake, pretty close I think, especially Justin Bartha.

enormhi said:

June 17th, 12:54 am

Ladies? Hope they are hot. :P

Cypherhawk said:

June 17th, 1:07 am

Nathan Fillion Should get the role!!! for Nate!

nickjd331 said:

June 17th, 1:40 am

I thought Nolan was great in the first one, can’t wait for the second.

I must say Emily, Richard and the other main characters were also great…

Solid-Snake-Eyes said:

June 17th, 1:51 am

Nathan Fillion IS Nathan Drake. They even have the same vertical scar on the same side of their foreheads. Coincidence?

singhjeet29 said:

June 17th, 2:17 am

Whenever I’ve heard him (like in the Wolverine vs. Hulk movie or Prince of Persia), I always hear Drake, what I mean to say is that Nolan is Nathan.

Also the entire cast seems like a lot of fun. I’m even more surprised to find out that they all pretty much use their own voices, because My Oh My Claudia … she could get away with a lot of things with that voice.

Jeff can you nudge ND about their limited edition set (I’m assuming there will definitely be one! Just make sure its available in North America) and make sure that there are A LOT of behind the scenes videos [voice acting, modeling the characters, the score (which sounds like it will be phenomenal again from the MP beta) etc.]

=) http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/2912/4unchartedsiggycopy.jpg

roddollente said:

June 17th, 2:32 am

i think the first uncharted gave out videos of the actors playing out the motion-capture scenes. i’m pretty sure they did ’cause i was watching them back then. XD

VofEscaflowne said:

June 17th, 3:37 am

I was really glad they had extras for the first Uncharted showing how everything went on behind the scenes. It was one of the few times I actually say through all of them since it was great to watch how they preformed and acted all the cutscenes. I had no idea it was done that way and it was just so amazing to watch. No wonder the characters, the animation and lines were all just done so wonderfully.

I’m sure this has been asked before, and probably answered in a previous entry as well, but can we expect similar extras in the second game? Funny to say but I’d actually be looking forward to them. Heck, I usually don’t even watch them in movies so awesome job that these guys are doing :)

Carnivius_Prime said:

June 17th, 3:45 am

Really enjoyed that interview. The Uncharted cast seem just as likable as their characters and that’s one reason their voice acting works so well I think.