PS4 - Destiny

Meet Nathan Drake: Uncharted 2’s Nolan North

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jun 16, 2009 // Sr. Social Media Manager

It’s very unusual to meet someone you feel like you already know. I got that chance a couple of weeks ago, when I ran into Nolan North at the PlayStation Booth during the final hours of E3. If the name’s not familiar (or his face), perhaps his voice will – North is the talent behind the witty remarks of Uncharted‘s Nathan Drake.

Now North is a bit of a talker, but if you’ve got a few minutes, he’s got some interesting insights on the role of actual acting in video games, and how Naughty Dog gets such great results out of their voiceover stars for the Uncharted series.

Next up: An interview with the ladies of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

+ station3fever on June 16th, 2009 at 7:24 pm said:

If hearing this guy talk gave me goose bumps, i can’t wait to see the interview with the ladies :)

+ D-Squad3 on June 16th, 2009 at 7:26 pm said:

lol nice to see the cast, I have a lot of respect for them too.

+ commedieu on June 16th, 2009 at 7:28 pm said:

Bravo jeff.

this was an amazing interview. you’re going to break into the big time surely.. Moments like these are really amazing for the blog.

That was a serious in depth look into what goes on behind gaming, and it really brings the world just that much closer to film..

WHERE IS THE ElENA lOVE?!?!?!

That hussy sat on his lap! i can already tell im going to hate chloe!!!!

+ commedieu on June 16th, 2009 at 7:30 pm said:

Wait thats Aeryn Sun?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! zomg… step aside Elena, sorry :(

+ Blkant on June 16th, 2009 at 7:34 pm said:

If there was a movie of Uncharted, it has to be Nolan, I seriously wouldn’t watch a movie of it with anyone else as Nathan.

+ Axecution on June 16th, 2009 at 7:34 pm said:

lol. Best interview yet. Shouldn’t have cut those few minutes, but oh well. >.>

Jeff, you’re awesome. The end. xD

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on June 16th, 2009 at 9:11 pm said:

Haha, thanks, really all I did was listen and get him to keep talking.

+ magpie4life on June 16th, 2009 at 7:34 pm said:

Hey Jeff,

nice video interview, I don’t even mind the length of it.

Are you and the other guys in the blog site planning to upload some behind the scenes of your video shoot or even reels of footage that you have cut out.

Thanks and keep them coming!!

+ Tommy-Cronin on June 16th, 2009 at 7:38 pm said:

Here Jeff, Who do you think should play?

+ IronChefWong on June 16th, 2009 at 7:40 pm said:

Great interview. I can’t wait for tomorrows interview Jeff.

+ Tommy-Cronin on June 16th, 2009 at 7:41 pm said:

Sorry, Who do you think should play Nathan Drake in a movie?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on June 16th, 2009 at 9:12 pm said:

Oh, I don\’t know. I\’m just looking forward to playing the whole game of Uncharted 2!

+ Capt-Fury- on June 16th, 2009 at 7:44 pm said:

nobody minded the length Jeff! hopefully, tomorrow videos are long too.

+ blindrocket on June 16th, 2009 at 7:54 pm said:

Nolan North is amazing as Drake, but so are the rest of the cast and their characters. I fell in love with the trio: Drake, Elena, and Sully.

Naughty Dog really has something special going with Uncharted and I hope they continue their high standard.

It’s also really neat that RenĂ© Auberjonois will be performing in the sequel.

Good stuff!

+ nokedimyo on June 16th, 2009 at 8:00 pm said:

It’s features like this that make the PS Blog so great!

+ remanutd5 on June 16th, 2009 at 8:03 pm said:

Great interview Jeff , i hope there are more like it coming soon , now that we have seen the man behind Nathan’s character , i really wanna see the whole cast Elena, Sully and the new characters as well but the one that im dying to see is the man behind Kratos , make it happen Jeff , and please tell ND to add Character interviews on the Collector’s Edtion of the game , we know its coming lol

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on June 16th, 2009 at 9:13 pm said:

Ooh, the voice of Kratos. Now *there* is an idea!

+ CrimsonFox13 on June 16th, 2009 at 8:11 pm said:

I love the cast of Uncharted 2. You can tell the amount of heart and soul that goes into making Uncharted!

+ TNTbkNY on June 16th, 2009 at 8:11 pm said:

Jeff wat does your shirt say!?!

+ Midgetguy on June 16th, 2009 at 8:18 pm said:

Nolan North is now officially one of those top people I’d like to meet! He seems so cool! lol

Seriously though, he has, in a sense, become Nathan Drake!

Thank you so much Jeff for this awesome interview!!!!

(Can’t wait for the other interview!)

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on June 16th, 2009 at 9:13 pm said:

He really was a cool guy. I totally did the fanboy thing before the interview.

+ OmegaArchetype on June 16th, 2009 at 8:26 pm said:

That was an awesome video, and yes Attention Span FTW!

I have to say I think either him (Nolan North,) or like others have said Nathan Fillion would fit the role perfectly.

Anyways, can’t wait for UC2!

+ mahunoy on June 16th, 2009 at 8:28 pm said:

Cool interview. I can’t wait for the next one. Good job Professor Playstation.

P.S. Do you have any more of those trophy shirt? :D

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on June 16th, 2009 at 9:14 pm said:

I\’ll have to check, might be 2 or 3 left. But how would we give them out?

+ MidnightBlues on June 16th, 2009 at 8:29 pm said:

Hi where do I send glitched ive found in home beta?

+ acmilanboy on June 16th, 2009 at 8:30 pm said:

He was also great for Prince of Persia

+ Enigma777 on June 16th, 2009 at 8:37 pm said:

Nolan north is by far my favorite voice actor… there’s just something that he brings to the character that makes em feel alive. Really appreciate the interview Jeff!!!

+ allstar2812 on June 16th, 2009 at 8:39 pm said:

Sweet great interview keep em comin

+ ADR143 on June 16th, 2009 at 8:43 pm said:

nice interview

+ Blkant on June 16th, 2009 at 8:55 pm said:

Also that should be a prize on the blog here! Some sort of autographed Uncharted goody.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on June 16th, 2009 at 9:15 pm said:

Naughty Dog has given out autographed Uncharted schwag at 2 or 3 of our meetups – you should make sure to attend when you can!!

+ Blkant on June 16th, 2009 at 9:17 pm said:

@74-Jeff reply

I would love to but you guys have only come to Orlando once and lets face it, pretty much no conventions etc.. are ever headed here that would get you guys out here :(

– Orlando is quite dull…

+ gibration on June 16th, 2009 at 9:32 pm said:

The Uncharted voice actors are awesome.
Great interview Jeff.

+ DangerDanceBoy on June 16th, 2009 at 9:35 pm said:

Great video.

Also, for the movie, if Nolan North is unavailable, Nathan Fillion would be perfect.

+ gold5225 on June 16th, 2009 at 9:53 pm said:

That was an amazing interview, Thanks Jeff!

I love when you bring us these high quality interviews from people we want to see and the people that help make PlayStation and PlayStation 3 games Phenomenal.
Thats Why I love Sony and PlayStation you guys never cease to bring us non stop amazing games.

+ ThanatosDMC on June 16th, 2009 at 10:10 pm said:

HAHAHAH! That’s so Nathan Drake! HAHAHAH! Even though he didnt know what to say with the interview… just him talking is awesome!

+ MassaBR on June 16th, 2009 at 10:20 pm said:

Great interview Jeff!

And Nolan North should play Drake! It just wouldn’t feel right with anyone else.

+ ThanatosDMC on June 16th, 2009 at 10:21 pm said:

Nolan North should be Nathan Drake if there ever is a movie. He’s got the voice of awesomeness!

+ SELIFU on June 16th, 2009 at 10:53 pm said:

Great interview. The cast does seem to get along quite well.

+ Paznos on June 16th, 2009 at 10:54 pm said:

I agree with the people who are saying Nolan should play Nathan Drake if there’s a Uncharted: The Movie…. Nolan is a actor first, voice actor second.

+ MegadethAndy on June 16th, 2009 at 11:25 pm said:

Loved the interview. Uncharted wouldnt have been the same if it wasnt for those actors.

+ emiru69 on June 16th, 2009 at 11:41 pm said:

He seems like a real professional. They should make a game with the Nathan’s Drake’s voice, Kratos voice and Solid Snake’s voice. I would not care about the script I would buy it for sure! ^_^

+ pinkoboe on June 16th, 2009 at 11:54 pm said:

Good stuff!

+ AntDaGamer on June 16th, 2009 at 11:57 pm said:

Wow I really love this IP. Good Video and everything I’m thinking about going out and buying Uncharted. I rented through gamefly originally but I’m buying 2 so I need 1 for my collection.

+ Nosajk on June 17th, 2009 at 12:08 am said:

Thanx Jeff I wanted to knew who play Drake’s voice, and have to say Nolan North YOU ARE THE BEST, u really know how to bring a character to life! keep up the good work u got my full support! BTW those ppl there were Clohe and Elena’s voice actresses? they really look like the real characters from the game!!! O.o

+ monkeypirate on June 17th, 2009 at 12:19 am said:

It’s great to see the actors behind the voice behind the character.

I think Nathan Fillion would make a great Drake. In firefly, Malcolm acts just like Nathan.

+ B1indCyde on June 17th, 2009 at 12:25 am said:

I just want to add to the last question in the interview about who should play Nathan Drake if they ever made a movie.

Without a doubt, David Boreanaz is my first pick. If any of you have watched “Bones” and his character Seeley Booth, I can’t help but hear and picture Nathan. He has the same playful mannerisms and quips, yet also the toughness and seriousness when the situation requires it. He even has a close resemblance.

My second choice would be Justin Bartha, who’s been in “National Treasure” 1 & 2, and most recently “The Hangover.” Definitely could pull off the look, and his treasure hunting experience is a plus.

What do you guys think?

+ B1indCyde on June 17th, 2009 at 12:29 am said:

Compare the pics above to this one of Drake, pretty close I think, especially Justin Bartha.

+ enormhi on June 17th, 2009 at 12:54 am said:

Ladies? Hope they are hot. :P

+ Cypherhawk on June 17th, 2009 at 1:07 am said:

Nathan Fillion Should get the role!!! for Nate!

+ nickjd331 on June 17th, 2009 at 1:40 am said:

I thought Nolan was great in the first one, can’t wait for the second.

I must say Emily, Richard and the other main characters were also great…

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on June 17th, 2009 at 1:51 am said:

Nathan Fillion IS Nathan Drake. They even have the same vertical scar on the same side of their foreheads. Coincidence?

+ singhjeet29 on June 17th, 2009 at 2:17 am said:

Whenever I’ve heard him (like in the Wolverine vs. Hulk movie or Prince of Persia), I always hear Drake, what I mean to say is that Nolan is Nathan.

Also the entire cast seems like a lot of fun. I’m even more surprised to find out that they all pretty much use their own voices, because My Oh My Claudia … she could get away with a lot of things with that voice.

Jeff can you nudge ND about their limited edition set (I’m assuming there will definitely be one! Just make sure its available in North America) and make sure that there are A LOT of behind the scenes videos [voice acting, modeling the characters, the score (which sounds like it will be phenomenal again from the MP beta) etc.]

=) http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/2912/4unchartedsiggycopy.jpg

+ roddollente on June 17th, 2009 at 2:32 am said:

i think the first uncharted gave out videos of the actors playing out the motion-capture scenes. i’m pretty sure they did ’cause i was watching them back then. XD

+ VofEscaflowne on June 17th, 2009 at 3:37 am said:

I was really glad they had extras for the first Uncharted showing how everything went on behind the scenes. It was one of the few times I actually say through all of them since it was great to watch how they preformed and acted all the cutscenes. I had no idea it was done that way and it was just so amazing to watch. No wonder the characters, the animation and lines were all just done so wonderfully.

I’m sure this has been asked before, and probably answered in a previous entry as well, but can we expect similar extras in the second game? Funny to say but I’d actually be looking forward to them. Heck, I usually don’t even watch them in movies so awesome job that these guys are doing :)

+ Carnivius_Prime on June 17th, 2009 at 3:45 am said:

Really enjoyed that interview. The Uncharted cast seem just as likable as their characters and that’s one reason their voice acting works so well I think.