Uncharted 4

Meet Nathan Drake: Uncharted 2’s Nolan North

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jun 16, 2009 // Sr. Social Media Manager

It’s very unusual to meet someone you feel like you already know. I got that chance a couple of weeks ago, when I ran into Nolan North at the PlayStation Booth during the final hours of E3. If the name’s not familiar (or his face), perhaps his voice will – North is the talent behind the witty remarks of Uncharted‘s Nathan Drake.

Now North is a bit of a talker, but if you’ve got a few minutes, he’s got some interesting insights on the role of actual acting in video games, and how Naughty Dog gets such great results out of their voiceover stars for the Uncharted series.

Next up: An interview with the ladies of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

+ ordaga on June 17th, 2009 at 3:54 am said:

Haha, did anyone notice Jeff’s cool tshirt? I wonder what’s the trophy :P

+ Silent_Gig on June 17th, 2009 at 4:05 am said:

Man you can totally see all those people being characters in a live action movie

+ Onna76_NL on June 17th, 2009 at 5:30 am said:

Nearly as cute as Nathan *lol*. His voice is awesome, he also did the voice over of the Prince in the latest Prince of Persia game.

+ Paranoimia on June 17th, 2009 at 5:32 am said:

For a movie, how about Nathan Fillion plays the character for ‘the look’, and they dub it with Nolan North’s voice? ;-p

+ Cesarcsrf on June 17th, 2009 at 5:34 am said:

nice interview , the end was awesome xD

+ jqtaxpayer on June 17th, 2009 at 6:08 am said:

I didn’t think he was a good fit for Prince of Persia, but he nailed the Nathan Drake role in a big way… game wouldn’t have been the same without him.

+ DonnyG on June 17th, 2009 at 6:10 am said:

very cool

+ bigdaddyjane on June 17th, 2009 at 6:13 am said:

I loved the ending.

+ SPARDA on June 17th, 2009 at 6:14 am said:

Great interview. Nice to see the real actors behind the Uncharted characters.

Thanks

SPARDA

+ macbelonwu10 on June 17th, 2009 at 6:38 am said:

Brilliant interview day one buy for sure!!!

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on June 17th, 2009 at 6:41 am said:

Chloe’s voice actor is from a very popular long running TV series; STARGATE. I watched that show all the time and in the CO OP mode of the beta I knew I recognized the voice. Oh and I’ll be Nathan Drake in the Big Screen Adaptation. But honestly Hugh Jackman would be my Number One choice if Nolan doesn’t take the role.

+ IONHAWK on June 17th, 2009 at 6:43 am said:

Props to #1 and #13 for thinking of Nathan Fillion for a movie version – he would be perfect as Drake! Browncoats unite!! :D

+ Shishimo9000 on June 17th, 2009 at 7:09 am said:

As awesome as i think an Uncharted movie would be, i must say having the original voice actors play there roles might not be such a good job, not saying they would do a bad job, they are all great actors/actresses but the fans expectations would be so absurdly high they would never hit the mark ^_^ just saying

+ nv_Los on June 17th, 2009 at 7:49 am said:

Nolan North is now one of my favorite voice actors along with David Hayter(MGS), great interview!!

+ Zero86-Sk on June 17th, 2009 at 7:57 am said:

Jeff whats written on your shirt

i know its some trophy thing?

+ Big_Hawk97 on June 17th, 2009 at 8:05 am said:

He kinda looks like a less handsome Drake. Can’t wait for this to release.

+ Tman_Slice on June 17th, 2009 at 8:14 am said:

Great interview! Nolan delivers for the Uncharted Series.

+ PrairieGhost on June 17th, 2009 at 8:17 am said:

No… Just make it a animated movie and use actual voice actors from the game. That’s the way you make a video game movie!

+ mywhitenoise on June 17th, 2009 at 8:50 am said:

Nolan, you are an awesome, awesome man!
But if you guys ever did an Uncharted film, you guys need to cast Nathan Filian. That man was born to play Drake.

+ DaftMav on June 17th, 2009 at 9:03 am said:

I’d vote for Nathan Fillion too, he looks like Drake and has the same kind of humor.

+ zero914 on June 17th, 2009 at 9:05 am said:

was this recorded near the nintendo booth? i could swear i heard nintendo related music halfway in the vid. anyway this was an interesting vid. thanks for the regular updates ps blog! :D

+ jqtaxpayer on June 17th, 2009 at 9:09 am said:

I wanted to add, to Mr. Fillion’s credit, that my comment about him being a poor fit had more to do with Ubisoft’s questionable script / character development decisions than the quality of the voice work. I just thought the Prince ended up being too much like Disney’s Aladdin, which was a writing decision and doesn’t reflect on Mr. Fillion’s top-notch voice work.

+ poweredbyzen on June 17th, 2009 at 9:16 am said:

oh, that just ruins my idea of nathan drake in real life. pffft!

+ mywhitenoise on June 17th, 2009 at 9:18 am said:

@122
you’re confusing Fillion with Nolan North…hehe, it’s okay. It’s obvious they used Nathan Fillion as an inspiration for Nathan Drake, “Firefly” and “Uncharted” even share the same composer!

+ wanethemane93 on June 17th, 2009 at 10:00 am said:

Seems like a really cool dude and he really brings the the character of nathan Drake to life. And i remember watching the bts stuff on the first uncharted disc and its cool that they do voice and mo-cap. Can’t wait to see the interview with the beautiful Emily Rose and Claudia Black tomorrow. Want to know more about the Chloe character cause Elena is my favorite but im sure im going to like Chloe too.

+ wanethemane93 on June 17th, 2009 at 10:00 am said:

Was richard McGonagle at e3 if not is there anyway you can do an interview with him later Jeff. Gotta show Sully some love.

+ Thwip on June 17th, 2009 at 10:14 am said:

That was hands down the best interview/video I have seen on the Blog…loved it! And this is a little hard for me to write after the whole “I am not defined by my hangers on!” thing.

+ LN_MEXWARRIOR on June 17th, 2009 at 10:23 am said:

Great interview Jeff! I love the blog!

+ Sindred on June 17th, 2009 at 10:27 am said:

Hehehe, it’s so strange hearing that voice be so modest :)

+ SirTrigalot on June 17th, 2009 at 10:32 am said:

he was classic in Hulk VS as Dead Pool – “Strike a pose!” favorite line

+ Atomika14 on June 17th, 2009 at 10:48 am said:

Please do an interview with Richard McGonagle!

+ Nynja on June 17th, 2009 at 10:53 am said:

Great interview and perfect length. Good questions and nice job all around Jeff.

+ IronChefWong on June 17th, 2009 at 11:15 am said:

Hey Jeff,
I won a Uncharted 2 schwag bag. What exactly is in it? Or is it a surprise?

+ mywhitenoise on June 17th, 2009 at 11:42 am said:

“North would have to play Nathan. Plain and simple. You can’t change the voice and mannerisms then expect the quality to hold up to the original game or improve.”

People who keep saying this haven’t seen “Firefly” or Nathan Fillion. It’s so obvious the creators based NATHAN Drake on Nathan Fillion.

+ almighty-slayer on June 17th, 2009 at 11:52 am said:

I want your shirt Jeffy

Great interview, this guy is awesome :)

+ DTS_MAN on June 17th, 2009 at 12:15 pm said:

This man has to be in the movie…he can obviously act so let him,how cool would it be to have the actual guy from the game in the film……seriously listen scene 1 of film….he sitting there playing Uncharted on big screen….as he puts the controller down he says something funny…like…man that guy realy is funny….or something.

I WANT THIS GAME…

+ spacesuit501 on June 17th, 2009 at 12:41 pm said:

Hey, you know the guy interviewing Nathan Drake’s actor? I want his t-shirt right now!!!

+ loadstone007 on June 17th, 2009 at 12:51 pm said:

Great interview Jeff. I really like the lengthy interviews… You can even post them with a few extra minutes, I won’t mind :)
Keep ‘em coming!

+ bushisprez on June 17th, 2009 at 2:12 pm said:

it’s deadpool from Hulk vs.

+ Chrysus on June 17th, 2009 at 2:14 pm said:

He was a voice on MGS4? How did I miss that? Warrants a re-play to see which generic character he is.

+ spunnups on June 17th, 2009 at 2:40 pm said:

That was great, I love behind the scenes stuff like this.

+ plaztiksyke on June 17th, 2009 at 2:50 pm said:

It’s awesome to see that the beta supports LPCM 5.1 and 7.1, as well as DTS. Will LPCM 5.1 give 24-bit audio? If not, which option does give 24-bit audio? What are the native assets stored on the disk?

Thanks!

+ Heavenly_king on June 17th, 2009 at 3:11 pm said:

Nolan North MUST play as Nathan if there is a movie of UNCHARTED.

NOLAN NORTH IS NATHAN DRAKE. Just looks how he acts; he fits perfectly the role of the Nathan. Although I think he should go to gym before acting in the movie. lol

+ Heavenly_king on June 17th, 2009 at 3:13 pm said:

NOLAN NORTH IS NATHAN DRAKE. Just looks how he acts; he fits perfectly the role of Nathan. Although I think he should go to gym before filming the movie.

+ Heavenly_king on June 17th, 2009 at 3:14 pm said:

GO UNCHARTED!!

+ Heavenly_king on June 17th, 2009 at 3:15 pm said:

I WANT THIS GAME and….

LEGEND OF DRAGOON 2 PLASE SONY!!!!!!

+ JaKhris on June 17th, 2009 at 4:23 pm said:

Hey,

Great interview. I really love Nolan’s work. He gives that awesome thing to the game no one else could. He really IS Nathan Drake.
He is a really good actor and I’d love to make the same job as him…

I’m really looking forward to playing Uncharted 2. Not only Nolan, but all the actors just play marvelously in this game (at least for what I’ve seen so far) and I think were in for a big treat this year with Among Thieves. :)

Oh, and Nolan North + Half-tuck shirt = Nathan Drake movie.

You guys rock!

Chris

+ Lawr- on June 17th, 2009 at 8:49 pm said:

A great pair of interviews, Jeff. You really let them talk and address the fans, very much appreciated.

Another vote for Nathan Fillion (completing the Nolan-Nate-Nathan connection) or a film version, though Chris Pine would be a pretty good choice as well.

+ Lawr- on June 17th, 2009 at 8:51 pm said:

what kind of trophy does it say you unlocked on your t-shirt?

+ ShadowPelican on June 17th, 2009 at 10:00 pm said:

Uncharted is the coolest new IP for Sony this gen.