PS4-The Order

PSN Cards Debut in Canada

Kyle Moffatt's Avatar + Posted by Kyle Moffatt on Jun 19, 2009 // Senior Public Relations Specialist, Sony Computer Entertainment Canada

Hi Everyone! Kyle Moffatt, Senior Public Relations Specialist for Sony Computer Entertainment Canada back to the blog with some great news for Canadian gamers. With the Stanley Cup finals ending last week the team at PlayStation Canada figured it would be a great time to bring the prepaid PSN cards to Canada! The cards, available in $20 and $50 denominations, can now be purchased at EB Games and GameStop locations across the country. In the coming weeks and months you’ll also be able to buy the cards at: Best Buy, Future Shop, HMV, The Source by Circuit City and Rogers Plus entertainment locations with more to come.

It’s great time to pick up a PSN card so buy one today and check out some of the great content available like Flower or The Last Guy (two of my favorites) or a PSone classic like Final Fantasy VII or Resident Evil: Director’s Cut. You can also get ready for a game I’m really looking forward to – Fat Princess. Now Canadians can have their cake and play with it too!

Keep checking the blog for future posts from me. See you online.

PSN Card Canada

+ Tparsons5150 on June 19th, 2009 at 11:31 am said:

@ HanSolo

LOL so you have some kind of faith we might actually get this North American(yet oddly US only) VIDEO service?

+ JimFalcon on June 19th, 2009 at 11:34 am said:

So glad to hear this, Thanks a lot Sony! Now I have renewed faith that the video store for Canada is coming! (right?!) :P

+ dehumanizer_666 on June 19th, 2009 at 11:40 am said:

its about time!

+ RichterNYR35 on June 19th, 2009 at 11:51 am said:

Blame Canada!

+ Ratchet426 on June 19th, 2009 at 11:52 am said:

rAdIOhEad73 | June 19th, 2009 at 9:24 am

“Kyle is not coming back, he doesn’t know how to answer, he thought he would be prized for this “Too little to late” news.”

I think you are confusing Kyle with Eric Lempel, the King of 2-sentence posts and zero replies.

+ dllscowboysfan on June 19th, 2009 at 11:54 am said:

@100 Not that I even care about hockey but you do realize the pens went into your house and stole the cup from you, right?

+ mixedkidbx on June 19th, 2009 at 11:55 am said:

Glad to see that Canada can finally join the US on buying the PSN cards.

+ JaKhris on June 19th, 2009 at 11:55 am said:

Hey,

Good news for Canadians.

I don’t need one, but I guess other Europeans would appreciate PSN Cards. You could start by establishing them in the UK, and progressively do other countries such as France, Spain, Germany, Italy… as a sign of good will maybe?

Chris

+ cb_32 on June 19th, 2009 at 12:01 pm said:

What took you so long?

+ GTAce on June 19th, 2009 at 12:11 pm said:

Wow, Canada now, should mean Europe gets them in 2068.

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on June 19th, 2009 at 12:23 pm said:

I hope they show up at Best Buy before my Rewardzone $5 certificate expires!

+ Copper_83 on June 19th, 2009 at 1:05 pm said:

The issue relating to the Video store in Canada are because of the obstacles from the Canadian Radio & Telecommunications’s (CRTC)rules and regulations surrounding the broadcast of Film/TV. This is why Canadians cant view certain video content thats published in the US. It has nothing to do with multi-lingual because If that was the case normal TV wouldnt be allowed to broadcast. It’s all a bunch of Governmental red tape, nothing more – nothing less.

+ chillindude3 on June 19th, 2009 at 1:17 pm said:

Finally!

+ mike-yazuka on June 19th, 2009 at 1:34 pm said:

Well that’s great. Now they just have to find their way to the rest of the world also.

+ Mysticode on June 19th, 2009 at 1:39 pm said:

@112 – Copper_83

Have you seen this explanation posted somewhere? Are you referring to the regulations regarding how much content has to be Canadian?

+ SuperSMCow on June 19th, 2009 at 1:39 pm said:

can’t they place English only for now and say ENGLISH ONLY with french subtitles something simple? great news by the way.

+ dotCody on June 19th, 2009 at 1:50 pm said:

Even though that PSN Cards have been available at EB Games in Canada since last Wednesday…

+ peevmyster on June 19th, 2009 at 2:10 pm said:

finally the canadians can stop complaining! :)

+ Boots555 on June 19th, 2009 at 2:10 pm said:

Thanks! This is so long over due.

+ Boots555 on June 19th, 2009 at 2:13 pm said:

We need the video store PLEASE!!!!

+ Kitty-Pancake on June 19th, 2009 at 2:16 pm said:

Thats cool for canucks. GOOD JOB SONY!

+ pavlovic on June 19th, 2009 at 2:19 pm said:

And when Mexicans will be able to use their credit cards? We have PSNCards almost impossible to find

+ YorlecmNwahs on June 19th, 2009 at 2:19 pm said:

Yeah baby! Finally! Woohoo!!!

+ Bioman20 on June 19th, 2009 at 2:23 pm said:

ive been waiting for this forever. FIANALY!!!!!

+ madhi19 on June 19th, 2009 at 2:45 pm said:

I don’t want to complain because it great news but am going to say it anyway! About Effing time can we get an update on the video store!

+ RaymondBel on June 19th, 2009 at 2:59 pm said:

@112

Tell us then Brainiac, why xbox has video service in Canada?

+ todwurst on June 19th, 2009 at 3:27 pm said:

It’s a shame that North America slaps the tax on after the posted price when some European countries factor the taxes into the final price. I really don’t care about the .99 cent psychology factor. I get something because a) I want it, b) I can afford it.
Sony, please step up to the plate on this and show your customers that you realize that $20 and $50 dollar cards will get the most effective use if the game totals round up appropriately. I imagine you do well off those unused dollars and cents collecting interest, but good will and repeat customers will go farther in the long run :)
Bring on Fat Princess!

+ retro25 on June 19th, 2009 at 3:29 pm said:

I was very patient for the PSN cards to come to
Canada and now it’s finally here ^-^, but all I ask is when will it come avalible at Walmart or 7eleven stores in Canada and when will we be able to get the Canadian PS video store as well? Thanks !!!

+ BaizDaza on June 19th, 2009 at 3:35 pm said:

Great news, thank you. :)

+ noize_girl on June 19th, 2009 at 4:34 pm said:

Funny I was just complaining about this the other day. It’s about time Sony!

+ McMicka on June 19th, 2009 at 4:43 pm said:

When are PSN cards coming to Australia? Please, please…

+ headwing45 on June 19th, 2009 at 5:02 pm said:

Cool! This almost makes up for all the stuff excluded from Canadians in Playstation Home (In turms of advertising and contests)

+ Saliwok on June 19th, 2009 at 5:10 pm said:

How about that video store??

Why does Sony hate Canada?

+ Timesplitter_01 on June 19th, 2009 at 5:43 pm said:

HOW ABOUT TELLING SCEE TO GET OFF THEIR BEHINDS AND GET THE PSN CARDS IN THE PAL REGIONS.

I say Sony would see AT LEAST 15-20% increase in sales on the PSN store within the first 6 months. Now what kind of business would refuse those kind of growth figures.

I mean come on surely it cant be that expensive to get the PSN cards into all regions around the world.

Also I would say that if the PS3 price dropped around US$100-150 then Sony would see an increased sales of around 15% at the very least

+ Futbolfan on June 19th, 2009 at 5:58 pm said:

I know that Sony Style isn’t the first place that Playstation gamers go to purchase games, but wouldn’t it make more sense for Sony to release Playstation Network cards in their own stores simultaneously with EB Games and Gamestop?

Sony reps there have been told that the cards don’t exist at all, period. I had to actually show them a display-only card in order for them to believe that they exist. It doesn’t look good for a store that’s owned by Sony to not know what’s going on at corporate headquarters.

+ cronqvist on June 19th, 2009 at 6:10 pm said:

For the love of god, make them available in Mexico!

+ Thaylin on June 19th, 2009 at 6:25 pm said:

Thank You! This is fantastic news. Time to spend!

+ jewabsed on June 19th, 2009 at 7:03 pm said:

nice! :D

+ Jeeves_Tremor on June 19th, 2009 at 7:25 pm said:

Mr. Moffatt, I have one thing to say to you:

You. Are. A. GOD.

+ Antiguan_King on June 19th, 2009 at 7:53 pm said:

so what about the movie store when can i start downloading movie and video content from the Canadian store.

+ Kren420 on June 19th, 2009 at 8:21 pm said:

you guys just saved me from getting a credit card in a recession. Thank you.

+ BPatches701 on June 19th, 2009 at 10:00 pm said:

WHERE IS OUR CROSS-GAME VOICE CHAT!?

+ CSZ02 on June 19th, 2009 at 10:19 pm said:

Finally! I’ve always wanted some old ps1 classics and some DLC for metal gear! Thanks Sony Canada!

+ mgsfoxhound2 on June 20th, 2009 at 12:35 am said:

im in USA but im very happy that canadians are happy too because i felt they were getting left behind. Keep it up sony u should give them video now

+ omgCRAZY on June 20th, 2009 at 1:51 am said:

This is great news. I was very disappointed when I first went to the store to get one of these before getting told they are not sold in Canada.

I just want to say thanks to Sony for not forgetting about their northern counterparts and to continue to support us (hopefully at the same time as U.S?).

+ enormhi on June 20th, 2009 at 3:58 am said:

Nice!

Bring them to Europe!! NOW!

+ barnaclejoe on June 20th, 2009 at 5:40 am said:

YAYYY!!! So glad to finally get these. Now I know what to ask for in my stocking or for birthday presents! woohoo!

+ alaM0000 on June 20th, 2009 at 7:21 am said:

50cent GGG-UNIT!!! lawlz :D

+ Elsa on June 20th, 2009 at 9:12 am said:

… the pre-paid cards are a good idea, but if we want to buy a gift for a gamer-friend, we often still have to mail them, and apparently Canadian cards can’t be used in the U.S.

… it would be nice to have some form of PSN gifting system… where we can directly buy a map pack or game through PSN for anyone in North America.

+ SurgeArrest on June 20th, 2009 at 9:13 am said:

I’m so sick of waiting for PlayStation Video Store in Canada, already decided that if Apple updates its Apple TV to support 1080p, I would get it same day.
Canadian market is small but not so small for SONY not to be willing to get a small stream of money.

Also, new SONY TVs have cool stuff like Widgets and RSS and podcasts, etc… is PS3 less capable? PS3 can be ultimate entertainment device, just keep adding features people want to use and finally support DivX 7!