Uncharted 4

Jun 22

Katamari Forever – The Music

Kazuhito Udetsu's Avatar Posted by Kazuhito Udetsu on Jun 22, 2009 // Producer, Namco Bandai Games

Hello everyone, I’m Kazuhito Udetsu, the producer of Katamari Forever for PS3 at Namco Bandai Games. For those asking, “who?” let me introduce myself a bit further. I joined Namco in 1996 as a game designer. I worked in various departments including marketing and promotions where I worked on the original Katamari Damacy. I’m here today to give you a peek into the music of Katamari Forever. As always, Yuu Miyake was in charge of sound direction and he did a wonderful job. What’s so great about his work is that it’s always beyond my expectations. However, because he was also simultaneously working on Noby Noby Boy, I was a bit worried he would tire himself out with his crazy schedule! Anyway, he managed to survive and both games turned out to be in the so-called “what hath God wrought” caliber.

Since his job has finished, and he has so much free time now, I thought I would let him take over for the rest of this post. Enjoy reading his profound comments.

Hi everyone! Having a good time? I’m Yuu Miyake, the sound director for Katamari Forever.

Katamari Forever’s soundtrack consists of remixes of past Katamari songs. Let me briefly talk about why this is. Since the first game, Katamari Damacy, was originally only released in Japan, we wanted Japanese singers who were well-known in Japan but nobody had heard from in awhile for whatever reason. For the second game we wanted to do the same thing but with foreign artists. However, this didn’t happen because of our lack of foreign friends and ability to negotiate. For this game we thought it would be a good idea to have those tunes remixed or arranged by Japanese and non-Japanese artists as sort of a musical trilogy (Oh, did you notice that Katamari Forever is the third title for a PlayStation console? Not that it really means anything though.).

The most important thing about the remixed music is that it’s clearly meant to be for a Katamari game. That includes Katamari-themed lyrics and an overall Katamari feeling. We selected fan favorite tunes and ones that we have special feelings for, and started to narrow down the most attractive singers for each remix. All the artists I asked to remix the songs for in Katamari Forever were ones I listen to, know and respect. I wish we could have artists from all over the world take part in the game but I only have Japanese friends, so most artists are Japanese. Professional musicians and sound experts in the US, please be my friends!

What I think is important in this consuming society is not to stick to one genre. I maintain this philosophy throughout the entire Katamari series. Since Japan has a long history of games I included chiptunes like YMCK. I also added “organic” tunes like SOFT’s remix of “You Are Smart.”

As a result of the tune selection, Katamari Forever has two streams of music, “electric” and “organic.” I guess if I had one more thing to say it would be…maybe…Check out Noby Noby Boy, too!

67 Comments   1 Reply

PAGE 1 2

+ Kedaro on June 22nd, 2009 at 11:23 am said:

Port or not, It’s still more than what the 360 got, and that to me is worth it, because I didn’t bother to buy the 360 version, I have both ps2 Katamari’s, and am currently scouring my city for the PSP version, at this point I don’t care if it turns up used, I have to have it… Calendaros must not understand the greatness of Katamari, or he/she wouldn’t be trashing it,

On a side note, as a reader, and co-blogger I have to admit the question is on my mind, Is it just a port of the 360 version?

I’ll ask it, but I refuse to be as rude as ahem* someone else here <.<

+ BigRon3400 on June 22nd, 2009 at 11:24 am said:

I love the music in Katamari Damacy. It is the only game I have ever played that the music was just as enjoyable as the game itself. Great job. Can’t wait for the new PS3 title!

+ GGCAN on June 22nd, 2009 at 11:24 am said:

Looks like a great game..

+ liketoski on June 22nd, 2009 at 11:24 am said:

katamari makes no sense to me what do you do in it?

+ Letters2Kay on June 22nd, 2009 at 11:26 am said:

Sounds great! (see what I did there?)

With all due respect, though, Noby Noby boy is a total load of crap.

+ RelentlessRolento on June 22nd, 2009 at 11:51 am said:

YMCK has me sold… why? Chiptunes. Games need more chiptunes… at least ones on systems ;)

+ Thrasher20 on June 22nd, 2009 at 11:55 am said:

I will see

+ tearsofash on June 22nd, 2009 at 12:14 pm said:

Plamo should be on the soundtrack. :(

+ righello on June 22nd, 2009 at 12:23 pm said:

The great Yu Miyake!!!! Thanks for writing.

Unfortunately, this could not be very interesting, missing the other chief component..

Kind of boring.

+ Stuffgamer1 on June 22nd, 2009 at 12:37 pm said:

Where did people get the idea this was a port? It’s a new game that includes new and classic levels from various Katamari games, including Beautiful Katamari. This was announced a couple months ago, in articles such as this:

+ neorudemovement on June 22nd, 2009 at 12:39 pm said:

yes, more video please

+ rAdIOhEad73 on June 22nd, 2009 at 12:59 pm said:

Hi Uetsu san, last time I checked you couldn’t speak English at all, so, is this really you or some translator guy helping you out?
Maybe you’re the same translator Yamauchi san use at E3?

In that case, we love you! :D

+ Ausohoj on June 22nd, 2009 at 12:59 pm said:

i just wet myself with joy. i absolutly love katamari! It was one of the first games i played on the PS2. can’t wait for all thoose memories to come back…

+ Dexiro on June 22nd, 2009 at 1:02 pm said:

Will this be available in Europe?

I’m not sure but i’ve heard that the original games were never released over here and I really want to play them :D

+ hyperslug on June 22nd, 2009 at 1:09 pm said:

Will this be available for download through PSN?

my blu ray drive is bust :(

+ Tenan on June 22nd, 2009 at 1:17 pm said:

If possible, will the soundtrack be bundled with the game?

+ BigPoppaB on June 22nd, 2009 at 1:55 pm said:

the price will be the deciding factor.

Noby Noby Boy is so damn weird and aimless but for some reason i keep coming back to it in small patches. Probably the awesome soundtrack

+ gnbcarnatic on June 22nd, 2009 at 2:04 pm said:

I have heard about this game over the years but never been able to play it. I will definitely have to check it out this time. Interesting to hear about the music choices too.

+ plaztiksyke on June 22nd, 2009 at 2:04 pm said:

will the music and/or sound effects be 24-bit lossless audio? this and the pricing will determine if this is a day one purchase for me.

+ Thrill_Kill on June 22nd, 2009 at 2:16 pm said:

Namco, I am so happy we finally get another great Katamari game! Just PLEASE make sure to include Trophy support, In Game Custom Soundtracks support (even though your remixed soundtracks will be awesome!), 7.1 Uncompressed PCM support and DTS 5.1, Rumble Support, and please make sure to release it on BLURAY DISC!

If you meet these expectations I will buy it on day 1 AND I will actually forgive you guys for spitting in my face by giving the 360 Beautiful Katamari and Ace Combat 6.

Sounds like a good deal huh? Bring us a full blown, top notch, PlayStation 3 quality Katamari game, and all will be good again between us.

Just don’t skimp out and give us garbage like no trophys, no custom soundtracks, no rumble, Dolby Digital only and PSN digital download only. Something like that would just upset me even more TBH.

I expect 5.1 DTS at the very least.

+ Prem-aka-Prince on June 22nd, 2009 at 3:13 pm said:

lol they said domo arigato… nice one xD

+ cleversignin on June 22nd, 2009 at 4:24 pm said:

Thanks for your work on the original and this new project. These games are as fun as they are weird. The original is definitely in my top ten games of all time list.

+ jqtaxpayer on June 22nd, 2009 at 4:25 pm said:

Katamari Damacy is one of my favorite game series for Playstation and I’m really looking forward to this one… one question, though:

Is this like a port of Beautiful Katamari except with extra stuff… and if so, is the awesome supermarket level that was a downloadable for that game going to be available somehow?

+ CoGOD on June 22nd, 2009 at 5:25 pm said:

Hmm interesting…but where’s Vesperia Namdai?

+ theinfamousjaywe on June 22nd, 2009 at 5:30 pm said:

Awesome! Man, I have always loved the music for the Katamari games. I got soundtracks from a friend of mine and drive my wife crazy with it in the car. Lol. If you ever want a keyboardist/singer from the states, you’ve got one right here!!!…

…though nobody really knows of me…

+ nerdmanwhippy on June 22nd, 2009 at 6:03 pm said:

I find my self a little disappointed with the price. Gamestop has in in their book of new upcoming titles for ether 49.99$ or 59.99$ can’t remember which. Which if that price is accurate I think it’s a little steep.

I realize that they’ve added a lot of new features and some new levels, and the development for ps3 is harder then ps2, but common the original was 20$ launch and this is mostly a fancy remake.

Really hope that gamestop’s listed price is wrong.

+ allblu on June 22nd, 2009 at 7:25 pm said:

please tell me you guys are putting the OST trilogy on the ps store.

the idea of having both electric and organic mixes sounds great too.

+ Armyless on June 22nd, 2009 at 7:31 pm said:

This “Middle-Aged” Prince, is ready for more Katamari mayhem! Bring it on!

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on June 23rd, 2009 at 12:23 am said:

Dear Namco,

The US PS3 fans want Tales of Vesperia, will you please localize it?

+ HouseMorton on June 23rd, 2009 at 8:40 am said:

Thank you for bringing Katamri back where it belongs, on the PS!
Katamari Damacy and We ♥ Katamari had fantastic soundtracks, but the music for the others in the series has been less than stellar. I hope it’s mostly songs from those…

+ darthmilo77 on June 23rd, 2009 at 12:03 pm said:

Best game soundtrack ever remixed? Sounds cool!

+ ColonelSeitan on June 23rd, 2009 at 1:07 pm said:

The original Katamari soundtrack was incredible and has remained one of my favorite things to listen to.

The remixes on the subsequent releases were pretty mediocre though…

I was really hoping for a brand new soundtrack for the new Katamari, because the musicians and songwriting were so awesome on the first game, it just doesn’t feel the same with remixes… :/

Please release a new Katamari Soundtrack one of these days, I would love to hear these musicians get together again and make such wonderful tunes!

+ Daniel_Gonzz on June 24th, 2009 at 3:59 am said:

Great music! I’ve been a Katamari fan ever since the first release. :)

I’ve been wondering though, since you’re in Namco Bandai, will there be an English version of Tales of Vesperia for the PS3?

+ mrkapawutzis on June 24th, 2009 at 3:08 pm said:

Like others have mentioned, it would be great if we could get a soundtrack for Katamari Forever that we could either purchase (maybe through PSN) or as a preorder bonus!

+ Zonified on June 22nd, 2009 at 10:04 am said:

Can’t wait!

+ DonnyG on June 22nd, 2009 at 10:09 am said:

Katamari on PS3!!!

+ Stedeo on June 22nd, 2009 at 10:09 am said:

I love Katamari, this is for PS3 right? This will definitely be on my to-buy list when it comes out.

Kazuhito Udetsu's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on June 22nd, 2009 at 11:19 am said:

Yes, for PS3.

+ Incubuster on June 22nd, 2009 at 10:10 am said:

Looks awesome! Is this going to be a PSN download or a retail game like in the past?

+ Zezzler on June 22nd, 2009 at 10:12 am said:

ZOMG!!! Ive been waiting for a ps3 katamari, forever~ (get it). I heard about this a few months back and am super stoaked for it~

Cant wait to hear more!

+ GoHerd35 on June 22nd, 2009 at 10:13 am said:

♥ ♥ ♥

+ crazypeng1 on June 22nd, 2009 at 10:14 am said:

Price Price Price…… that’ll be the determining factor

+ Pebbz_16 on June 22nd, 2009 at 10:14 am said:

wth kind of game is this?
Is it a PSN download game or retail?

+ TailsTheCat on June 22nd, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

One of the top three devs right here. Love Katamari. Too bad most people are too young to appreciate good games.

+ Axecution on June 22nd, 2009 at 10:17 am said:

Is this a PS3 exclusive?

+ TailsTheCat on June 22nd, 2009 at 10:17 am said:

Fat Princess delayed? Sony, you are pathetic.

+ bendeboy on June 22nd, 2009 at 10:21 am said:

I hope the trophies are just ridiculous.

+ Metellica505 on June 22nd, 2009 at 10:22 am said:

they better have some bomb trphies

+ TicTaek on June 22nd, 2009 at 10:24 am said:

So stoked!!!! Every song in a Katamari is gold. Can’t wait.

+ saintaqua on June 22nd, 2009 at 10:25 am said:

I can’t wait, I was so upset when the Katamari series went over to 360, and even though I have a 360 I didn’t buy the game for it, since it is best on playstation.

Please keep this series home now!

(It’s actually the fourth katamari game on a playstation)

This looks (and sounds) amazing, thank you!!!

+ Seiven on June 22nd, 2009 at 10:26 am said: